• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up PDZ Review- 9

Raiden

Banned
chespace said:
The game would have gotten no higher than a 7.5 and probably would have gotten closer to a 7. The single-player level design is very old school Rare.
I love how you wisely rated it off the multiplayer, which is the reason im buying this game.

Ok enough with he asslicking :D

Are options like slo-mo, 1-hit kills etc in the mp options? Cause Rare said every option from the PD64 mp was in Zero, but now i have just read that the bots have no customizable behavior like the kamikaze, rocket, meat etc sims.

That+ only 6 maps is a real turn off for me.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
chespace said:
I don't even understand what you just said, but we'll just have to agree to disagree quetz67.

He wants you to base your rating on the amount of offline versus online content and mathematically adjust your review accordingly. He's not happy with the high score as he feels that the single player experience should dominate your scoring methodology, leaving the multiplayer component as only a small factor in your overall review even though it will probably be the most significant element of the game for most people.

Mrbob

quetz67 said:
So if you rate the multiplayer a perfect 10 that means you weight multiplayer double as much as singleplayer.

Or if you rate multiplayer 'only' 9.5 (which you probably dont because Multiplayer sure is perfect in every single aspect and wont be beaten by any game this gen) that means you weight the multiplayer 4 times as much as the single player.

Stop whining about PD0. Now you are getting annoying.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
quetz67 said:
So if you rate the multiplayer a perfect 10 that means you weight multiplayer double as much as singleplayer.

Or if you rate multiplayer 'only' 9.5 (which you probably dont because Multiplayer sure is perfect in every single aspect and wont be beaten by any game this gen) that means you weight the multiplayer 4 times as much as the single player.

You really need to just stop.

Redbeard

Banned
I'm not finding anything wrong with the level design so far (five missions in). What is "old-school Rare" exactly?

Multi rocks hard, thankfully.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
urk said:
He wants you to base your rating, weighting it for the amount of offline versus online content and mathematically adjust your review accordingly. He's not happy with the high score as he feels that the single player experience should dominate your scoring methodology, leaving the multiplayer component as only a small factor in your overall review even though it will probably be the most significant element of the game for most people.

Right, except how I feel about a videogame isn't a mathematical science. Removing something as integral as online and co-op from a game like PDZ is simply missing the point of the game. If he feels that I'm doing readers a disservice with my score, then he hasn't read my review which definitely warns against buying this game for the single-player.

Prine

Banned
quetz67 said:

wtf.jpg

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
chespace said:
Right, except how I feel about a videogame isn't a mathematical science. Removing something as integral as online and co-op from a game like PDZ is simply missing the point of the game. If he feels that I'm doing readers a disservice with my score, then he hasn't read my review which definitely warns against buying this game for the single-player.

Right.

IJoel

chespace said:

Agreed. Imagine how poor, excellent games like Battlefield, Socom and Ghost Recon, among others, would score if such nonsensical basis for grading them was used.

Well, I've started playing single player yesterday on Perfect Agent. I just died near the very end of Mission 1 (Hong Kong). Sooo much fun, and a really good challenge. PDZ fucking rocks. I find the game is fun enough that a stupid story, or whatever you guys are complaining about, isn't enough to bring it down. Just too much fun. Now I just need to get on Live on test out the multiplayer.

p.s. glad you can turn off the waypoint arrows. What weak sauce!

chespace

Cerebral Palsy said:
Well, I've started playing single player yesterday on Perfect Agent. I just died near the very end of Mission 1 (Hong Kong). Sooo much fun, and a really good challenge. PDZ fucking rocks. I find the game is fun enough that a stupid story, or whatever you guys are complaining about, isn't enough to bring it down. Just too much fun. Now I just need to get on Live on test out the multiplayer.

p.s. glad you can turn off the waypoint arrows. What weak sauce!

Dude, no thanks to the awful flow of the levels, the blue arrows saved my game disc from being thrown out the window many a times. ;P

shpankey

not an idiot
chespace said:
I don't even understand what you just said, but we'll just have to agree to disagree quetz67.
That's because he was doing his lawyering gibber-jabber on you. The goal is to present the question in a way you can't understand, then you look guilty cause you're sitting there with a dumb expression on your face not saying anything! ;)

chespace said:
Dude, no thanks to the awful flow of the levels, the blue arrows saved my game disc from being thrown out the window many a times. ;P

Well, the Hong Kong map at least hasn't given me any trouble with finding my way around. It's been pretty straight forward. I'll have to keep on playing to see how later maps go.

Now back to the game.

chespace said:
This really is one of those games that's love/hate... and most unusually, this is one of those games that's both love and hate AT THE SAME TIME.
For the record I haven't played Perfect Dark Zero, so I'm going soley off watching media of the game online and reading impressions and previews, but I honestly cannot fathom how a game that you love and hate at the same time can garner a 9/10 score. That's basically insinuating that the aspects of the game that you hate are wholey insignificant (which doesn't sound like the case from reading impressions of the title), and were it not for those aspects where the hatred stems from (level design, character design), the game would be perfect.

It would be more understandable from my viewpoint if these aspects of hatred were more minor areas of a game's design- like artistically poor enemy character models. But something like abysmal/nonsensical level design, that's a huge aspect of a videogame- be it FPS or other. I can understand the want to reward a videogame for excelling in some areas- like graphics or innovation (regarding weapons)- but I think all too often reviewers are willing to override the bad with the good if the good is done very well. And an argument can be made in favor of rewarding a title for offering a high counter in it's positives, but I can't see that being the case in this situation.

Again, this goes with playing the title for exactly zero minutes, so my argument can only hold so much tempermental merit, but after forming an initial opinion of the game based on gameplay videos and impressions (which isn't entirely unfair), I just find it perplexing that (the) a game like PDZ could receive a 9/10 with such evident admitted flaws.

shpankey

not an idiot
This is a classic case where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. If you break down its individual components, you find all kinds of things wrong with certain parts. But somehow, the whole package together is great. Well that, and co-op... CO-OP over XBL baby! CO-OOOOOOOOOP!

Giddy I tell you... GIDDY! teehee ;)

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Mike Works said:
Again, this goes with playing the title for exactly zero minutes, so my argument can only hold so much tempermental merit, but after forming an initial opinion of the game based on gameplay videos and impressions (which isn't entirely unfair), I just find it perplexing that (the) a game like PDZ could receive a 9/10 with such evident admitted flaws.

Think about it this way: It would have been a 10/10 had Rare ditched the single player experience. :D

Holy shit people haven't you ever played something that is so clearly flawed but you think kicks ass anyways? I think that is what che is getting at here. (On a side note I have played it and didn't care so much for it, but to each his own).

DSN2K

add one more flawed review to the pile, surprised coming from 1up.

if the Single Player Sucks how can the game score 9... normally not one to accuse websites of foul play but im starting to wonder I really am.

basically the game is worthless to 90% of the people who buy it.

Raiden

Banned
DSN2K said:
add one more flawed review to the pile, surprised coming from 1up.

if the Single Player Sucks how can the game score 9... normally not one to accuse websites of foul play but im starting to wonder I really am.

basically the game is worthless to 90% of the people who buy it.

Yeah sure thing.

Redbeard

Banned
SP doesn't "suck".

And that Shawn guy from EGM is just a fucking moron. Some of his complaints don't make sense at all, e.g. "I can only take cover at the areas they marked!" which is like every corner and object you can find.

Y2Kev

Why is it that every review coming back positive is flawed? If you go into the reading of a review expecting it to rail the game and rate it 4/10, then any other conclusion is going to seem flawed.

The game felt like a 90% game to Che. You are free to disagree, but that doesn't make it "flawed" because you don't like the review. I learned my lesson with Kameo (I think it's hot, but the reviewer didn't and I now respect that.).

One knock against Shawn and his impressions in my book is his hyping of Pariah, so I take his opinions with a grain of salt. But then knowing Che's opinion of Half-Life 2 (according to Mr. Elliot in a previous thread) means I take his opinion with a grain of salt. I'm not trying to infer that either is right or wrong, I just know both have somewhat different tastes from my own when it comes to FPS's.

That said there's been more than enough overwhelming positive reviews for Perfect Dark 0 to justify me buying the game when I get an Xbox 360 come January or February.

chespace

jaundicejuice said:
One knock against Shawn and his impressions in my book is his hyping of Pariah, so I take his opinions with a grain of salt. But then knowing Che's opinion of Half-Life 2 (according to Mr. Elliot in a previous thread) means I take his opinion with a grain of salt. I'm not trying to infer that either is right or wrong, I just know both have somewhat different tastes from my own when it comes to FPS's.

That said there's been more than enough overwhelming positive reviews for Perfect Dark 0 to justify me buying the game when I get an Xbox 360 come January or February.

HL2:

* Awesome art direction
* Sweet characters
* Some cool weapons and gimmicks
* Terribly boring AI
* Give me a real ending

Shawn fucking dug Pariah. That is all that needs to be said. :)

chespace

dorio said:
So, che any Gears of War footage in the zero hour video?

No, because all they showed off was what we've already seen at X05.

But we do have some good shit with Cliffy B and our very own Stinkles drinking and talking shit about each other's games.

dorio

Banned
chespace said:

But we do have some good shit with Cliffy B and our very own Stinkles drinking and talking shit about each other's games.
Thanks!

chespace

Funky Papa said:
GAF demands video footage! :D

Tomorrow!

Oh, and if anyone wants to play anything 360 on Xbox Live, please add 'chespace 1UP' to your friends lists.

I have one very important question, is Wallguy in the game? Better yet, can you use him as a skin for the multiplayer mode? That would seriously own.

FartOfWar

Banned
Why is complaining about the cover system rubbish? Maybe I've missed some cover spots but from what I've played it's not like Splinter Cell where a left thumbstick click puts your back to whatever's at hand. All I said was that the devs had to mark the geometry with "can use for cover" spots.

FartOfWar

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
I have one very important question, is Wallguy in the game? Better yet, can you use him as a skin for the multiplayer mode? That would seriously own.

And JJ, dismissing someone's ability to critique anyhting because you disagreed on one game seems somewhat daft. Say you and a friend both love Nabokov but one of you hates Carver and the other adores him. I mean you could build a case off of anything (e.g, I know you think non Source DOD is the greatest shooter ever, and if it's only among my list of quality shooters, what? I'm supposed to think you can't utter a worthwhile word on the topic?)

Just a wee bit defensive. I didn't say I completely dismiss your opinion, just take it with a grain of salt because our tastes are different. Relax mang, Che didn't get all up in arms cos I stated our opinion of HL2 differs and I do the same with his review.

FartOfWar

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Just a wee bit defensive. I didn't say I completely dismiss your opinion, just take it with a grain of salt because our tastes are different. Relax mang, Che didn't get all up in arms cos I stated our opinion of HL2 differs and I do the same with his review.

Sorry, I think I mistakenly attributed the "fucking moron" comment to you.

No worries.

Still no one has answered my question, out of all the abortions that dwell within the game, only one truely matters to me. Is Wallguy in the game?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
chespace said:

There was a new little bit of new footage at the end where they are on some kind of underground rail track and heading towards a big furnace. Gamespot said it was new in their video and I hadn't seen it before but maybe it was from X05.

Edit: Found the vid where I saw it.

Zero Hour Day One: 2:30 into the vid on the page. The X05 demo was extended according to them. It's not much but here is the link for anybody that is interested.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/11/22/news_6140258.html

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I can't help but feel 1up gave this score in response to GS's. They can't deviate too far, I guess. ;)

Also, Kameo is definitely not a 7. 8 and above for sure.

YakiSOBA

PD0 is awesome, totally loving single player and can't wait to jump onto multiplayer as soon as I get better! :D

(as an aside though, who was the guy at EGM that gave Soul Calibur 2 a non-10 again? That guy was an ass, taking away a platinum award for SC2 :()

chespace

Willy Wanka said:
There was a new little bit of new footage at the end where they are on some kind of underground rail track and heading towards a big furnace. Gamespot said it was new in their video and I hadn't seen it before but maybe it was from X05.

Nope, then Gamespot must've missed that presentation because the railroad track and big furnace (complete with awesome lighting effects) were definitely at X05.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
chespace said:
Nope, then Gamespot must've missed that presentation because the railroad track and big furnace (complete with awesome lighting effects) were definitely at X05.

Doh :lol I just edited my post too. Oh well. Gamespot for the lose!

Wunderchu

IJoel said:
Agreed. Imagine how poor, excellent games like Battlefield, Socom and Ghost Recon, among others, would score if such nonsensical basis for grading them was used.
I agree, too ...

Y2Kev

Cerrius said:
whoa whoa wait a sec...

32 players online consists of 16 humans and 16 bots?!

only 16 in dark ops?!

WTF

It can't be. I had 20 last night. Unless 4 were bots...but I would have noticed in the names...

Top Bottom