• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Feet of Global Sea Level Rise Is Now Guaranteed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ac30

People still worried about rising sea levels, how quaint. They're the least of our concerns. I sometimes think focusing on something trivial like sea level rise is just making people go "so what"?

Ac30

I live in New Orleans... So..uh... When is this happening exactly?
Do I have time to sell the house?

Heat waves, famines, droughts, wars, societal collapse, ocean acidification, desertification and the like will all get you before rising tides do, so your house is A-OK.

Lime

dead2.gif

thank you both for this, I really needed that laugh

n0razi

200 years is long enough for none of your descendants to have had direct contact with you, therefore nobody will care.

Its 200 years for the entire sheet to melt.... the water level will still rise regardless up to that 10ft point and past that. People who live only 1 to 5 feet above sea level will be affected much sooner than 200 years.

LOCK

The problem with most estimates is that we have noticed that a runaway effect is occurring, meaning that all the estimates keep getting revised and it's occurring faster than expected.

So in 2014 they estimated 200 years but in 2016 it's probably currently at 100 years or less. By 2020 we'll be even more screwed, the planet is warming faster and the ice is melting faster than what anyone ever thought possible.

If youre questioning the 200 years, it's in the OP which you obviously havent read.
If not, what are you asking me?

I mean, in 50 years or so, we could fix it?
I honestly dont know, thats why I asked, wasn't expecting one word answers.
No. I mean it's science fiction as of now that we can get negative emissions. And that's not looking good.

And it's not like it's gonna fix what we've done. Only future damage
The problem with most estimates is that we have noticed that a runaway effect is occurring, meaning that all the estimates keep getting revised and it's occurring faster than expected.

So in 2014 they estimated 200 years but in 2016 it's probably currently at 100 years or less. By 2020 we'll be even more screwed, the planet is warming faster and the ice is melting faster than what anyone ever thought possible.
Eh. The runaway is taken in to account in many models. Most of the adjustment is that the original measurements were wrong

ironmang

Will be depressing to be probably getting news like this for the rest of our lives. Sucks that this has become a political issue for republicans to drag their feet on when this is more important than basically everything else.

Nocebo

We need thirsty Galactus and a huge ass straw.
I think what we need is money to go to things that are environmentally friendly and causes that fight against climate change.
Climate change deniers will find ways to justify pushing green tech if there is lots of money to be made from it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The average depth of the ocean is 12,100 ft. The volume of water in the ocean is 1,338,000,000 cubic kilometers.

...that's 110,579 cubic kilometers of water per foot of sea level. You'd need to dig a hole over a million cubic kilometers in volume.

So basically, a hole of 100km x 100km x 100km will house the excess water. Sounds easy.

Nocebo

Could take 200 years.
Everyone you know will be dead by then.
And whats to say in 200 years it might get colder again?
What could take 200 years?
You seem to be implying that up until new years eve 2215 or so everything will be fine but when the count down clock hits 0 suddenly everything will turn to shit?
No, it won't take that long before bad things start happening. In fact bad things are already happening.

The current news story was I believe they found some geological process that was the source.

(note this doesn't mean that its not climate change but just the mechanism by which its acting)

Its never too late. I mean we can always prevent its from being EVEN worse.

This is not the attitude to take

Even if we're all gonna die, rage against the dying of the light. Why not?

That's the way I think. But most people seem to think along these lines,

091207usatC.slideshow_main.prod_affiliate.91.jpg

at least for those who have the power to change things drastically. The majority of people just can't seem to be inconvenienced, even given the ramifications. It always comes down to apathy.

StayDead

Does that mean we will have even more Londoners moving up to Birmingham? :/

London should be fine. We're an island nation and we have things like the Thames Barrier anyway.

That is, if Theresa May in her infinite wisdom actually does a single good thing in her tenure as PM.

Auctopus

So what are you doing to help fix this?

What can we do to help?

Stop eating meat?
Put solar panels on the roof?
Drive less / not at all?
Pester politicians?

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

Sadly, nothing you do will matter unless millions of other yous also do the same.

They won't.

Fox Mulder

That's the way I think. But most people seem to think along these lines,

091207usatC.slideshow_main.prod_affiliate.91.jpg

at least for those who have the power to change things drastically. The majority of people just can't seem to be inconvenienced, even given the ramifications. It always comes down to apathy.

Lots of people just tune out the smug liberal preaching and rich celebrity soap boxing, which it often is if we're honest.

Two Words

Rising sea levels is probably going to be the only early wake up call that gets our shit together. Maybe when a lot of land is lost to the sea will we finally realize what kind of a problem we have here.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
The alternative is for the Earth to be hit by a meteor or something like a colony drop.

Dust or other particles get released into the atmosphere and block sunlight which causes cooling but then there is no sunlight for plants. Extinction event equivalent to the dinosaurs occurs.

Uhh, or we could cloud seed with sea water to create overcast over the oceans.

Or we could put giant mirrors into space that orbit the earth at the equator and reflect light away.

Or we could develop CO2 scrubbers (synthetic leaves, or machines that work like plants) and figure out what to do with the excess Oxygen and carbon.

Or we can deploy reflective particles into the upper atmosphere that reflect light away from earth as they rotate around it.

Or we could, you know, plant massive amounts of trees, stop cutting down the rain forest, move to solar energy/other renewable energy, and include any of the above technological methods to heal our planet.

People who think we are doomed are no better than christians that preach about Revelations. That doesn't mean this shit isn't serious, but the amount of hyperbolic doom saying I see on this forum about climate change is depressing. Certain OPs' continual fear farming threads don't help either.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yeah. Newport and parts of orange county are the only things in danger

And in San Diego County it's basically just Coronado, downtown and near some lagoons in the north that are barely developed that would be affected even by 30 feet.
Of course, the summers are already starting to get unbearable, so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom