• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Feet of Global Sea Level Rise Is Now Guaranteed

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Sea levels will rise but pumps and other infrastructure will prevent these places mostly because of the wealth there. This isn't going to occur over night, guys.

So basically Katrina 2.0.

If there is one thing to never bet against, it would be nature getting the best of technology.

Nocebo

This is why climate change denialists won't care, they'll be dead before it ever happens.
Let's be honest here. I doubt even a large number of people who accept climate change as fact (maybe the majority) care that much beyond posting things like "oh how dreadful" or "we're fucked" or "I care". Would we even be in this mess if they cared enough decades ago? They probably use articles like this to justify their inaction as well: "well we can't do anything about it now anyway".

But hey, at least they can claim the moral high ground, right?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
The average depth of the ocean is 12,100 ft. The volume of water in the ocean is 1,338,000,000 cubic kilometers.

...that's 110,579 cubic kilometers of water per foot of sea level. You'd need to dig a hole over a million cubic kilometers in volume.

lol, we better start

Hm, wait what you are saying is that they'd be no place for that water inland?

😞

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So I know this seems like a pretty stupid question... but what happens to theme parks such as Disney or Universal? Seems like they would essentially have to relocate there parks.... is that even possible?

Blizzard

Banned
As others have said, this article is from 2014. Was there updated news or something I'm missing?

I wish it didn't use such vice-like phrasing. Perhaps they assume if they use normal or scientific language, no one would care, but this way it comes off as flowery sensationalist prose and most people probably STILL don't care. :p

HTupolev

Hm, wait what you are saying is that they'd be no place for that water inland?

😞
Well, you can make up for surface area by digging deeper, to an extent. The biggest problem is the absurd amount of digging. If the hole was big enough to make an even slightly noticeable difference, you would have piled up enough material from the digging process to form a mountain range.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, you can make up for surface area by digging deeper, to an extent. The biggest problem is the absurd amount of digging. If the hole was big enough to make an even slightly noticeable difference, you would have piled up enough material from the digging process to form a mountain range.
Cards Against Humanity was trying to save us after all.

You know, rising sea levels and the new islands and coasts that would be created and possibility of land reclamation and seeing deserts become tropical areas and other climates changing would almost be somewhat fascinating to see

That is, if it wasn't for the amount of chaos and suffering it would cause...

MOUNT TRUMP

Defect

Water is liquid. If we could manage to take it away, to get the liquid away from us or somehow dry it. Dry up all the liquid with a big heating device. It would have to be big. Bigger than the ocean.

Imagine a heating fan the size of Africa. Yes, that would be something.

HTupolev

can nukes solve this somehow?
If you gradually nuked the Earth's forests, the firestorms would release particles into the atmosphere that could possibly temporarily stall or reverse warming.

It's not difficult to picture possible downsides to this strategy, though...

ggx2ac

Water is liquid. If we could manage to take it away, to get the liquid away from us or somehow dry it. Dry up all the liquid with a big heating device. It would have to be big. Bigger than the ocean.

Imagine a heating fan the size of Africa. Yes, that would be something.

And then the Water Cycle occurs, water vapour becomes rain, rain causes flooding. lol

bundaberg

Banned
So what are you doing to help fix this?

What can we do to help?

Stop eating meat?
Put solar panels on the roof?
Drive less / not at all?
Pester politicians?

ggx2ac

If you gradually nuked the Earth's forests, the firestorms would release particles into the atmosphere that could possibly temporarily stall or reverse warming.

It's not difficult to picture possible downsides to this strategy, though...

The alternative is for the Earth to be hit by a meteor or something like a colony drop.

Dust or other particles get released into the atmosphere and block sunlight which causes cooling but then there is no sunlight for plants. Extinction event equivalent to the dinosaurs occurs.

HTupolev

And then the Water Cycle occurs, water vapour becomes rain, rain causes flooding. lol
If we got the Earth so hot that all the water vapor simply exploded off into space, we wouldn't have any problems with water levels being too high ever again.

Nocebo

So what are you doing to help fix this?

What can we do to help?

Stop eating meat?
Put solar panels on the roof?
Drive less / not at all?
Pester politicians?
You don't necessarily have to stop doing things, if everyone reduced their beef consumption and driving that would also help. It is hard to change large aspects of a persons life instantly, so it's easier to convince people to reduce their carbon footprint gradually.

Donating to causes that fight climate change also helps.

Sibylus

Banned
If we got the Earth so hot that all the water vapor simply exploded off into space, we wouldn't have any problems with water levels being too high ever again.

That'd involve denuding the Earth of life as we know it, though. Analogous conditions were pre-life when the Earth was a lava meatball.

ggx2ac

But where will we get all that heat? We'd need some kind of global warming to pull it off...

The second timeframe is: When will the sea actually reach the heights shown?

The answer could be sooner than 200 years from now (see Table 1 in this scientific paper), or as long as 2,000 years (see this paper). Why the wide range? It is easier to estimate how much ice will eventually melt from a certain amount of warming, than how quickly it will melt, which involves more unknowns. The same simple contrast would apply to an ice sculpture in a warm room.

i feel better now.

ggx2ac

Assuming the water wouldn't just fall back to earth, you'd need materials capable of building a strong structure for it. Think carbon nanotubes and space elevators.

So it falls back to Earth and we just end up with Space Rain.

Time for Plan B: We blow up the Sun.

TM1Si5A.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Joke? :) Otherwise, good luck building a pump capable of producing that amount of energy and a hose capable of resisting that amount of pressure.

We'll just hook a hydroelectric dam into it. Boom, infinite power.

I thought I escaped the stupidity of Florida by moving to Japan.

And yet they still manage to fuck me over. Japan is gonna be a mess....

I should probably just plan to make a move from Osaka to Kyoto....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom