• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Feet of Global Sea Level Rise Is Now Guaranteed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Visited the Redondo Beach Pier, in Southern California a few months back and you can tell that the waves have corroded more of the beach.

I know you really shouldn't try judge sea level by eye, but after visited most of the beaches along the Southern California Pacific Coast Highway, for the past 15 years. It definitely appears the is changing the landscape.

RocknRola

I'm sure this won't affect me, what's the worst that could happen to a country like the Netherlands?

:X

Best buy a boat while they're cheap! Or move a few miles inland to Germany. I hear they may be getting some cool beachs in a couple of decades >.>

Mathieran

Banned
Seriously our only hope at this point is for someone really smart to figure out how to scrub CO2 out of the air and water. I'm sure there are people working on it as we speak. I hope for my children's sake that they succeed. I hope I never have grandchildren.

People in our country have no respect for scientists. I wish more people knew scientists in their personal lives, then they wouldn't feel that way. I've known scientists my whole adult life, so I know they aren't fucking around.

The alternative is for the Earth to be hit by a meteor or something like a colony drop.

Dust or other particles get released into the atmosphere and block sunlight which causes cooling but then there is no sunlight for plants. Extinction event equivalent to the dinosaurs occurs.

How about creating a dust veil in space around earth that blocks some percentage of incoming sunlight?

Nocebo

This article on phys.org doesn't seem as alarmist:

http://phys.org/news/2016-11-west-antarctic-ice-shelf.html

Hopefully we can still do something. But I'm affraid that that's going to take bigger changes then we're doing now.
Yes, something! Let's do something. Do you think donating to causes fighting climate change would be a good idea?
The answers is: YES
Seriously our only hope at this point is for someone really smart to figure out how to scrub CO2 out of the air and water. I'm sure there are people working on it as we speak. I hope for my children's sake that they succeed. I hope I never have grandchildren.

People in our country have no respect for scientists. I wish more people knew scientists in their personal lives, then they wouldn't feel that way. I've known scientists my whole adult life, so I know they aren't fucking around.
Our only hope is to sit on our hands and hope someone else solves the problem with magic? How much thought did you put into this? Luckily there are causes you can donate to so you don't really have to think about it much, they will know what to do.
http://www.sierraclub.org/
https://www.nrdc.org/

Kabouter

Move over here. Wat a bit and we can rename Deventer to 'Deventer aan Zee'.

I'm from that part of the country anyway, so sounds good :p

Yes, something! Let's do something. Do you think donating to causes fighting climate change would be a good idea?

Our only hope is to sit on our hands and hope someone else solves the problem with magic? How much thought did you put into this? Luckily there are causes you can donate to so you don't really have to think about it much, they will know what to do.

Tbh, if you want something that is going to make a real difference that you can do yourself, consume less. Buy fewer new things, take fewer long trips, move closer to work, walk/bike more etc. etc.

IISANDERII

I'm not American so I'm wondering how much 10 feet is. I mean, how are we supposed to tackle this global issue when we can't even get on the same page about units? We're so screwed

Nocebo

Tbh, if you want something that is going to make a real difference that you can do yourself, consume less. Buy fewer new things, take fewer long trips, move closer to work, walk/bike more etc. etc.
Yep. But some people are set in their ways or have difficulty changing lifestyles due to circumstances so it is good to also have donations as an option. It's especially convenient for people who apparently think the only hope left is essentially magic.

Nikodemos

I'm not American so I'm wondering how much 10 feet is. I mean, how are we supposed to tackle this global issue when we can't even get on the same page about units? We're so screwed
Ironically, I think this is why many Americans are unable to internalise just how bad changes can be.

Many people discuss how a 2 degree change in temperature would irreversibly fuck us over. To the average American, this is headscratch-worthy, since the difference between two degrees is barely sensible, in the Farenheit scale. Two degrees Celsius makes a lot of difference, say, from 28 to 30.
But since the US doesn't use Celsius (or Kelvin, since they're 1-1, they just start at different points) degrees - except in tech fields or sporadically in early school - they never get to understand the enormity of the changes. And then add anti-scientism on top.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Destruction of the very world that sustains us. Is there any more proof of the dysfunctional mind.

Hermii

So I know this seems like a pretty stupid question... but what happens to theme parks such as Disney or Universal? Seems like they would essentially have to relocate there parks.... is that even possible?

They will just rebuild them into water parks

Ironically, I think this is why many Americans are unable to internalise just how bad changes can be.

Many people discuss how a 2 degree change in temperature would irreversibly fuck us over. To the average American, this is headscratch-worthy, since the difference between two degrees is barely sensible, in the Farenheit scale. Two degrees Celsius makes a lot of difference, say, from 28 to 30.
But since the US doesn't use Celsius (or Kelvin, since they're 1-1, they just start at different points) degrees - except in tech fields or sporadically in early school - they never get to understand the enormity of the changes. And then add anti-scientism on top.

Basically America screwed the world with their stupidity err. I am half serious because I belive that there a sizable amount of People in US who actually thinks like this. Hahaha....

Mathieran

Banned

Sorry that sounded really negative. I'm not doing nothing. I do everything I can to neutralize my carbon footprint, vote in favor of the environment, and encourage everyone around me to be mindful of their waste and be more efficient with resources. I just don't have much hope in our society as a whole to deal with this problem.

Nocebo

Basically America screwed the world with their stupidity err. I am half serious because I belive that there a sizable amount of People in US who actually thinks like this. Hahaha....
I'd be interested to hear about what you have done and are actively doing to fight climate change. Maybe it will give me some good ideas how I can contribute also.

shira

tumblr_lpix0f28hp1qikhnl.png

Is there any reason we can't airlift the glaciers in pieces.
If the water is drinkable that would be great for crops or places that need drinking water

edit: nm you'd need to replace their cooling effect with more ice or shit would melt even faster

Once global warming kills off everyone living on the coasts, where most of the hippie global warming liberal-elites live, I can finally deny global warming in peace.

Shadybiz

Will this destroy the west coast?

Pretty sure I read that while there will definitely be some flooding, it won't be nearly as bad as the east coast, due to the elevation.

....And I'm buying a house in NJ in like a month. Western NJ...but still concerning for sure.

Pumps can only do so much really. They are not an answer. To minor flooding in very small cities with lucky geography, yes, pumps can be helpful.

But for this kinda thing? And again, dutch engineering, dykes and canals, only works in very unique situations with unique geography, which is why all these dutch engineers are useless when they are hired to help problem flooding areas like Miami.

Also, it doesn't matter that much if we are going greener if we don't solve our agriculture problem first, which the UN has acknowledged is the number 1 driver of climate change over a decade ago, since when only more and more proof as accumulated that its agriculture, the thing we never talk about, the thing that our governments ensure keeps growing in every single trade deal, that is the thing killing us the most. Not cars.

Fox Mulder

Climate change deniers will just switch to It's too late anyways. 200 years is a long time and corporations focus on the next quarter profits. Nothing is going to change.

One way or another, we'll get a blue Florida.

I just hope no one struggles to relocate.

Can we build a wall to keep out the florida refugees?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Climate change deniers will just switch to It's too late anyways. 200 years is a long time and corporations focus on the next quarter profits. Nothing is going to change.

Yep. Already I've noticed a steady shift from "Climate change isn't happening" to "Climate change happening now is a natural cycle and not influence by humans"

Fully expect Republicans to continue to downplay the importance of the steadily shifting climate while buying up land in shore.

KHlover

Banned
That's actually the good thing (about the only good thing) about the foot, it's pretty much the same length as a human foot, so it's easy to relate to..
Eh, it only works like that if it has been your standard frame of reference.

I could look at my feet and take 10 imaginary steps, or I could read 3m and instantly know the length. The other way around you probably instantly knew what 10ft were, but would have needed to look it up if the article used meters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom