• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Feet of Global Sea Level Rise Is Now Guaranteed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

Nothing will happen to the US or rich countries which will spend hundreds of billions raising streets and building higher seawalls and whatnot. The people that will struggle are small island nations, poor countries who will be flooded and have to go elsewhere, people who contributed least to climate change.

Sulik2

Nothing will happen to the US or rich countries which will spend hundreds of billions raising streets and building higher seawalls and whatnot. The people that will struggle are small island nations, poor countries who will be flooded and have to go elsewhere, people who contributed least to climate change.

The world is exploding from one refugee crisis right now, Syria, do you really think rich countries aren't going to be affected when dozens of countries are trying to evacuate? And that is just with the sea level rise. How do you think the world will handle the middle east and North Africa needing to be evacuated when temperatures become uninhabitable by around 2050? https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/160502131421.htm

Climate change will rip apart the world even in countries that can handle the direct weather changes through engineering and cash by putting pressures in other areas.

Neo C.

The world is exploding from one refugee crisis right now, Syria, do you really think rich countries aren't going to be affected when dozens of countries are trying to evacuate?

The pessimist in me says they are going build taller wall. That's how more refugee crises will affect rich countries.
I work in the refugee industry and follow the conversation closely. The goal of our politicians is to make this crisis as abstract as possible. Sending people away and denying asylum are politically feasible when the citizen are only dealing with abstract numbers.

Lime

The world is exploding from one refugee crisis right now, Syria, do you really think rich countries aren't going to be affected when dozens of countries are trying to evacuate? And that is just with the sea level rise. How do you think the world will handle the middle east and North Africa needing to be evacuated when temperatures become uninhabitable by around 2050? https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/160502131421.htm

Climate change will rip apart the world even in countries that can handle the direct weather changes through engineering and cash by putting pressures in other areas.

The pessimist in me says they are going build taller wall. That's how more refugee crises will affect rich countries.
I work in the refugee industry and follow the conversation closely. The goal of our politicians is to make this crisis as abstract as possible. Sending people away and denying asylum are politically feasible when the citizen are only dealing with abstract numbers.

People are already willing to question Human Rights and draw out of the HRC because they are afraid of refugees/immigrants. Hell, they are even willing to destroy their own economy (Brexit) in order to isolate their country from the world outside, or have inhumane policies (Australia's 'boats' and off-shore camps)

If people are already willing to turn to fascism and isolationism in this decade, imagine what an unstable world with extreme climate situations will mean. I could imagine the rich countries will act as inhumane as possible, even use military force to maintain their economic/wealthy position.

Sibylus

Banned
So basically, a hole of 100km x 100km x 100km will house the excess water. Sounds easy.

Crust is 50 km thick at max, and I would presume at some stage would collapse and create a giant caldera. The crust itself will be hot enough to boil water at a certain depth too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom