• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“I think we are becoming out of touch with modern gaming, Gaf.” - Principal Skinner's Enthusiast Boomers

SeraphJan

Publisher had payed metric and professional market analyze department with information we have no access to. Of course we are in a bubble.

However, I wouldn't worry too much, there is a market for everything

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I think you're on spot.

The older we get, the less time we have, and the less time we have we "demand" the content we tackle to be more engaging than, let's say, when we were in our teenage days.

Today's new generation is brain dead, so no wonder they eat up this shit and corporate business focus on this type of content. It sells.

I know it's a stupid example, but look at cartoons these days: 90% of them are constantly 3D gargabe. In the 90's or before, cartoons where made with care. Today? Not anymore.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
With Ghosts 2 and Death Stranding sprinkled in there somewhere. Thats just crumbs to me. Just ten years ago, i used to get all those games in one year.

This isn’t true at all. You should take a moment and do some introspection. Go check how many big games PlayStation studios were releasing yearly and then come back.

Last edited:
I showed my 8 year old nephew the new SpiderMan trailer and he LOST HIS SHIT. This is who publishers are going after. Kids who dont know better.

More money. And easy to impress.

I showed my 8 year old son a few trailers and the ony game he gave a crap about was Teardown, big time hype for that. Anything with a story or lots of linear gameplay / fighting, none of my kids care. They've grown up on Minecraft, Goat Simulator, and Slime Rancher.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They've grown up on Minecraft, Goat Simulator, and Slime Rancher.
Star Wars Doom GIF

GymWolf

My 8 year old was thoroughly unimpressed. Walked out a few minutes into the demo. He loves Spiderman and the Miles DLC.

I guess i raised him right.
The demo was just dull, that setpiece was maybe impressive in 2016 pre-unchy4.

I lost my focus like 2 min into the video and i was switching between gaf and the trailer, a good trailer should be able to keep you engaged.

Rewatching in 4k didn't helped.

Last edited:
I'm just not in to multiplayer games anymore and it's become a huge part of the industry. I'm totally alienated from that portion. The last thing I wanted to see was sony making more multiplayer games when they are one of the few left who create traditional high quality single player experiences.

Thirty7ven

Banned
The demo was just dull, that setpiece was maybe impressive in 2016 pre-unchy4.

I lost my focus like 2 min into the video and i was switching between gaf and the trailer, a good trailer should be able to keep you engaged.

Rewatching in 4k didn't helped.

The opposite here, was lukewarm during the stream but watching it again today in 4K it felt great.

And the initial shot of the city with the helicopter moving at speed was more impressive than a lot of people are giving it credit.

Edder1

People have very law standards these days. This isn't surprising since this is a generation that grew up with cancerous mobile games, Minecraft and Fortnite.

Last edited:
I mean, if we are out of touch why the fuck are they remaking all the old games us "dinosaurs" said were great? Capcom's entire modern resurgence revolved around making their old games again. Konami is trying to do the exact same thing with Metal Gear and Silent Hill lol.

We aren't out of touch; the industry and gaming audience is just massive now. We just remember what it felt like to be catered to back when we were the entire audience.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The opposite here, was lukewarm during the stream but watching it again today in 4K it felt great.

And the initial shot of the city with the helicopter moving at speed was more impressive than a lot of people are giving it credit.
I agree with that. Watching it in 4K it looked much, much better (as these always do, yet people still act on insanity). There were a few oddities (water splashes), but they never went for hyper realism with their games, especially Spider-Man, it always had that slight cartoon/comic "sheen" to it. But it did look impressive with the scale and overall the IQ. The lighting stood out to me as a major improvement along with the facial animations.

Not a Spider-Man fan in general, more looking forward to what they do with Wolverine. But the game is going to be a massive success regardless of what we say.

Last edited:

GymWolf

What can i say, i'm glad that you liked it.

I liked the introduction of Raven except for his model.

And the va for peter was kinda trying too hard to make a venom bad boy voice, it felt forced if not downright comical at times (still better than miles grating voice tho)

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

And the va for peter was kinda trying too hard to make a venom bad boy voice, it felt forced if not downright comical at times (still better than miles grating voice tho)
It's, it's a comic. Campiness are their foray.

I think the problem is that Marvel tried taking itself too serious over the years, then they went off the deep end with over compensating ham-fisted atrociousness (Thor).

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This isn’t true at all. You should take a moment and do some introspection. Go check how many big games PlayStation studios were releasing yearly and then come back.
  1. Uncharted
  2. Motorstorm
  3. Ratchet FTOD
  4. Heavenly Sword
  5. Warhawk

1. MGS4
  2. Socom
  3. Resistance 2
  4. Motorstorm PR
  5. LBP

1. KZ2
  2. Uncharted 2
  3. Infamous
  4. Ratchet
  5. Demon Souls

1. GOW3
  2. Heavy Rain
  3. MAG
  4. GT5

1. KZ3
  2. LBP2
  3. Uncharted 3
  4. Resistance 3
  5. Infamous 2

1. Starhawk
  2. Twisted Metal
  3. Journey
  4. Ratchet

1. GOW Ascension
  2. TLOU
  3. GT6
  4. Beyond
  5. KZSF

1. Infamous
  2. DriveClub
  3. Littlebigplanet 3

1. Order
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Until Dawn

1. Uncharted 4
  2. Ratchet reboot
  3. The Last Guardian

1. Horizon
  2. Uncharted lost legacy
  3. GT Sports

1. GOW
  2. Detroit
  3. Spiderman
  4. SOTC remake

1. Days Gone
  2. Death Stranding
  3. Dreams

1. TLOU2
  2. Ghost of Tsushima
  3. Demon Souls Remake
  4. Astrobot
  5. spiderman Miles
  1. Ratchet
  2. Returnal

1. Horizon
  2. GOW
  3. GT7
  4. TLOU remake

1. Spiderman 2
They went from shipping 4-5 games a year to 3-4 games a year last gen down to 1-2 games this gen. Numbers dont lie.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

I will say I'm surprised at the amount of gamers around here who think PvP is a dirty term and desperately just want single player story driven games. Like, OK get grampa his solo game so no one can hurt him and his old hands don't have to work too hard.

NickFire

The enthusiast crowd does feel out of touch at times, primarily when games like COD or Fortnight are discussed. At times it feels like some enthusiasts don't play them as a badge of honor. At other times, some enthusiasts leave me scratching my head because they get on board with ideas like COD can be streamed and everyone will be happy, completely ignoring that 60 fps is baseline and 120 fps is the best experience. Like, come on people, aren't we supposed to be a little above that kind of silly pr acceptance?

But I don't really see the negative reactions to yesterday as an out of touch moment. I think it's literally the by-product of many enthusiasts being let down by the lack of first party, and others gloating about it. And all of it will blow over when the next batch of trailers drop, or someone else does something to get everyone rabbled up. Plus, we all know everyone will get excited for any of those games they did show if they turn out to be hits. Just nerds being nerds, and I say that completely aware that I am one of said nerds.

GymWolf

It's, it's a comic. Campiness are their foray.

I think the problem is that Marvel tried taking itself too serious over the years, then they went off the deep end with over compensating ham-fisted atrociousness (Thor).
It's different on paper, in a videogame i want a VA that doesn't make me chuckle when they are trying to be serious.

Spidey being venom should be a super dark moment in the game, for now it feels like peter watched Nolan batman too many times and wanted to give it a try.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Back then, a company could pump out 5x the amount of games seemingly 3x faster.
Look how simple old games were. Not only on graphical but also mechanical level. What was ok on PSX or PS2 is not good even for indie games anymore.

Also. I'm not becoming out of touch. It's world that's becoming out of touch.!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
  1. Uncharted
  2. Motorstorm
  3. Ratchet FTOD
  4. Heavenly Sword
  5. Warhawk

1. MGS4
  2. Socom
  3. Resistance 2
  4. Motorstorm PR
  5. LBP

1. KZ2
  2. Uncharted 2
  3. Infamous
  4. Ratchet
  5. Demon Souls

1. GOW3
  2. Heavy Rain
  3. MAG
  4. GT5

1. KZ3
  2. LBP2
  3. Uncharted 3
  4. Resistance 3
  5. Infamous 2

1. Starhawk
  2. Twisted Metal
  3. Journey
  4. Ratchet

1. GOW Ascension
  2. TLOU
  3. GT6
  4. Beyond
  5. KZSF

1. Infamous
  2. DriveClub
  3. Littlebigplanet 3

1. Order
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Until Dawn

1. Uncharted 4
  2. Ratchet reboot
  3. The Last Guardian

1. Horizon
  2. Uncharted lost legacy
  3. GT Sports

1. GOW
  2. Detroit
  3. Spiderman
  4. SOTC remake

1. Days Gone
  2. Death Stranding
  3. Dreams

1. TLOU2
  2. Ghost of Tsushima
  3. Demon Souls Remake
  4. Astrobot
  5. spiderman Miles
  1. Ratchet
  2. Returnal

1. Horizon
  2. GOW
  3. GT7
  4. TLOU remake

1. Spiderman 2
They went from shipping 4-6 games a year to 3-4 games a year last gen down to 1-2 games this gen. Numbers dont lie.
It's almost as if there was a global event that impacted the release windows of 2021-2023 for all companies where they said we would feel the impacts the following couple of years as things return to normal.

If this continues through 2024 and beyond, then I would have the doom & gloom. But also (adjust tinfoil), let's hope there isn't another event next summer towards said season. ;)

The games that we desire are larger and more expensive and taking a bit longer to make than a decade ago as well.

Last edited:

Quantum253

Now that, that's out of the way. I do believe that the tradition first party games we are used to, ones that sell in the tens of millions are under development and are still coming, they just don't seem to want to announce so far in advance anymore.
I've been on both sides of that argument and I started leaning to let those games cook and announce when you have something to show for it. On the other side were those who got annoyed there was a quick announcement with no information and it would be like that for several shows (years). I would rather get hyped about something coming out within a year or two (with solid information/development time) than a 10-second CGI trailer that shows nothing you have to wait years to find more about.

Thirty7ven

Banned

I do hope they balance the direction of Peter’s acting under the symbiote’s and that this is just a moment where he is starting to lose his grip.

Them going with two characters, this being a more iterative sequel, and having had 5 years between the og and the sequel, I hope this will be a much larger story than the first and there will be a lot more tonal variation.

I’m optimistic.

BootsLoader

Banned
I don’t know if I’m a niche boomer etc, but when it comes to giving money, I think mature gamers are a bigger market.
Unless Sony is preparing for the new gen of gamers for when they will grow up.

One of the main issues that Sony needs to grapple with is that their audience is very broad demographically, and you can't target both adults with relatively sophisticated tastes (which has been Sony's bread and butter since the latter half of the PS3 generation) and social-media-addled tweens who are mostly interested in cartoony GaaS shooters at the same time with the same games at the same show. This show was obviously very skewed towards the latter demographic, so of course Sony's core fans are displeased.

Neff

So far in 2023 I've had a true RE4make on par with the original, one of the best Zeldas ever, a surprise shadow-dropped Tango Gameworks joint, one of the best Star Wars games ever, and one of the best Harry Potter games ever.

I've still got Starfield, Street Fighter 6, Tekken 8, and Final Fantasy XVI to come before the year is out. I'm not worried.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's almost as if there was a global event that impacted the release windows of 2021-2023 for all companies where they said we would feel the impacts the following couple of years as things return to normal.

If this continues through 2024 and beyond, then I would have the doom & gloom. But also (adjust tinfoil), let's hope there isn't another event next summer towards said season. ;)

The games that we desire are larger and more expensive and taking a bit longer to make than a decade ago as well.
I dont know why covid is only affecting sony and microsoft studios. From is shipping games left and right. Zelda just came out and despite being on a hardware less powerful than the PS3, it is completely reinventing the genre with insane physics and innovation. Capcom has been on fire. Respawn just made Star Wars in under 3.5 years. Even Square shipped Forspoken and FF16 after covid.

And we all knew games were taking a long ass time to make. Herman and Jimbo shouldve known this but instead of getting these devs the people they needed they went out and started porting games to PC, started investing in gaas trash, and shipped a whole shit ton of last gen games last year. Very poor planning. That Jeff Ross thread shows that there is something seriously wrong with Herman and Jimbo's leadership. Days Gone 2 shouldve shipped by now. Death Stranding 2 shouldve shipped by now. TLOU2 shipped less than 3 years after Lost Legacy. Its been 3 years since TLOU2 shipped and we havent seen anything from Neil's next game. Nothing from Factions. Nothing from Corys game 5 years in development. Nothing from Sucker Punch after 3 years of dev time. Is everything in development hell?

Are they getting enough bodies? Are they busy with PC ports or Gaas mandates from their bosses? Did sucker punch have to waste 6 months pitching Ghost 2 like Sony Bend had to? Was spiderman initially cross gen? How comes it barely looks any better than the last game? I think its time to freak out and start asking questions. I was ready to freak out last year and the year before last year when they skipped E3 but you told me to stay strong until their next big conference and well, this was it. Im not waiting till next year.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Games are expensive to make and every gen they get more expensive.

For Sony, since they do big cinematic games it’s a big problem since they’re on the top end % wise.

Model optimization on runtime is coming at least, so that shaves one step in the production process.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Neogaf only game you need is Destiny 2, come join us, the season the of deep welcomes you….

Draugoth

Gold Member
Games are expensive to make and every gen they get more expensive.

For Sony, since they do big cinematic games it’s a big problem since they’re on the top end % wise.

Model optimization on runtime is coming at least, so that shaves one step in the production process.

This, we cant pump multiple AAA gamea a year like we did back in the X360/PS3 era.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I dont know why covid is only affecting sony and microsoft studios. From is shipping games left and right. Zelda just came out and despite being on a hardware less powerful than the PS3, it is completely reinventing the genre with insane physics and innovation. Capcom has been on fire. Respawn just made Star Wars in under 3.5 years. Even Square shipped Forspoken and FF16 after covid.

And we all knew games were taking a long ass time to make. Herman and Jimbo shouldve known this but instead of getting these devs the people they needed they went out and started porting games to PC, started investing in gaas trash, and shipped a whole shit ton of last gen games last year. Very poor planning. That Jeff Ross thread shows that there is something seriously wrong with Herman and Jimbo's leadership. Days Gone 2 shouldve shipped by now. Death Stranding 2 shouldve shipped by now. TLOU2 shipped less than 3 years after Lost Legacy. Its been 3 years since TLOU2 shipped and we havent seen anything from Neil's next game. Nothing from Factions. Nothing from Corys game 5 years in development. Is everything in development hell?

Are they getting enough bodies? Are they busy with PC ports or Gaas mandates from their bosses? Was spiderman initially cross gen? How comes it barely looks any better than the last game? I think its time to freak out and start asking questions. I was ready to freak out last year and the year before last year when they skipped E3 but you told me to stay strong until their next big conference and well, this was it. Im not waiting till next year.
Because they're the studios pumping out the types of games we want. Which take much more time and money. We would not feel the impacts of a global shutdown where a lot of these studios resided in more strict lockdown states, until 2-3 years later. And here we are, 2-3 years later feeling it.

Zelda is Nintendo's first massive game in years too which the last Zelda came out with HZD launched, where Sony launched HFW since (and sooner than the new Zelda).

New Star Wars was clearly a cross gen game where they stopped cross gen on to focus on current gen, CoD is recycled, Asscreed skipped a year, where are all the other 3rd party bangers as well? 3rd party has been cross gen this entire time and no better.

Last edited:

NickFire

To be honest, the first trailer in yesterday's showcase kind of suggested Sony is out of touch. I'm not the slightest bit worried about having games I want to play over the next couple of years. But if they thought that trailer was what the average gamer wanted to see, I think they need new marketing people.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
dog didnt read GIF by FirstAndMonday

Now that, that's out of the way. I do believe that the tradition first party games we are used to, ones that sell in the tens of millions are under development and are still coming, they just don't seem to want to announce so far in advance anymore.

Jimbo's marketing strategy is to only show games coming out in the next 3-6 months. NOTHING more. And people like us hate it.

Thirty7ven

Banned
  1. Uncharted
  2. Motorstorm
  3. Ratchet FTOD
  4. Heavenly Sword
  5. Warhawk

1. MGS4
  2. Socom
  3. Resistance 2
  4. Motorstorm PR
  5. LBP

1. KZ2
  2. Uncharted 2
  3. Infamous
  4. Ratchet
  5. Demon Souls

1. GOW3
  2. Heavy Rain
  3. MAG
  4. GT5

1. KZ3
  2. LBP2
  3. Uncharted 3
  4. Resistance 3
  5. Infamous 2

1. Starhawk
  2. Twisted Metal
  3. Journey
  4. Ratchet

1. GOW Ascension
  2. TLOU
  3. GT6
  4. Beyond
  5. KZSF

1. Infamous
  2. DriveClub
  3. Littlebigplanet 3

1. Order
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Until Dawn

1. Uncharted 4
  2. Ratchet reboot
  3. The Last Guardian

1. Horizon
  2. Uncharted lost legacy
  3. GT Sports

1. GOW
  2. Detroit
  3. Spiderman
  4. SOTC remake

1. Days Gone
  2. Death Stranding
  3. Dreams

1. TLOU2
  2. Ghost of Tsushima
  3. Demon Souls Remake
  4. Astrobot
  5. spiderman Miles
  1. Ratchet
  2. Returnal

1. Horizon
  2. GOW
  3. GT7
  4. TLOU remake

1. Spiderman 2
They went from shipping 4-5 games a year to 3-4 games a year last gen down to 1-2 games this gen. Numbers dont lie.

You’re kidding right? Look at your list. Look at the dates. Was 2020 ten years ago? Are you about to die or something?

And MGS4? Where’s destruction all stars? Helldivers 2 doesn’t count?

Your “numbers” don’t an average make. Since this 2020, and taking into account 2023, and only going by your list, that’s 12 games in 3 years which… is 4 games a year average.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

I don’t know if I’m a niche boomer etc, but when it comes to giving money, I think mature gamers are a bigger market.
Unless Sony is preparing for the new gen of gamers for when they will grow up.
I doubt we're the bigger market, though I do suspect we're the one with the most disposable income and thus the most valuable.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
To be honest, the first trailer in yesterday's showcase kind of suggested Sony is out of touch. I'm not the slightest bit worried about having games I want to play over the next couple of years. But if they thought that trailer was what the average gamer wanted to see, I think they need new marketing people.

BINGO! It's as if Sony hasn't watched their own E3 press conferences in the past. Wasn't their a conference when Uncharted 2 lead the show with one of the best gameplay trailers of all time?

Phase

mood feels GIF

This hits me down deep. Maybe you are right DeepEnigma DeepEnigma but I think many of us still carry the "days of old" in our hearts, and that is why we voice our disdain for the current landscape that is gaming. We see the predatory trend chasing apocalypse devoid of originality for what it is. We are privy to the tricks being used and know that CGI trailers are just CGI trailers. We should not accept the current state of things just because we are older, we should do our best to let the younger gen know what they could have if they cared enough not to support mediocrity. But how would they know, I guess. This is all they've known.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
So basically OP is mad about the games that were not show instead of the game show, so he's looking at dislike rate on the games show and expecting people to hate games because of the ones missing?

This is not a "we" problem. This is not a "old gamers" problem. This is a hater problem.

Sanepar

Yeap I'm 40 years and can't bond myself with most of current games.

I don't like 90% of gaas.
I can't see nothing special in indies. Most like clones using a formula to look cute.
Sp good aaa are scarce every year.

But looking for the next 10 years i would say we are safe to have enough really good games to cover the hobby.

On the long term I'm out. Probably will play something but not dedicate to this hobby anymore.

Fake

We live in a world when all the negativity is shadowbanned by algorithm, system of upvote/downplay and hided/excluded by mods.

We're not out of touch, is just things like algorithm and social media stuff don't penetrate here.

And you can't use Youtube taking into account because is the same Youtube that receive money to allow an option to the channel owner to delete 'dislikes' or even 'disable' commentary section.

DeepEnigma DeepEnigma you should start to ask questions for yourself. If someone say to you is 'raining' and other say you is don't, its your fucking job to go to the window check if is really raining or not.

I don't like CGI trailers and I don't give a fuck who like. I still dislike, don't matter the brand. Gameplay > everything else.

Just think a little harder. There are some folks here in neoGAF saying was 'the best show of all', while others saying 'was one the worst show ever made'. Hyperbole can go both sides dude.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
I doubt we're the bigger market, though I do suspect we're the one with the most disposable income and thus the most valuable.
I’m not sure, I think we are more selective, but when it comes to buying something we will definitely give the money for that.
I just think that we are selective and will give money only for high quality products.
Younger gamers may be easier to trick and sell them less quality product for the same price.

To my opinion, the best thing in young gamers is that you can always milk them with micro transactions which is much more effective way to make money for longer from one product.

Top Bottom