• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“I think we are becoming out of touch with modern gaming, Gaf.” - Principal Skinner's Enthusiast Boomers

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's no secret by now that there are many of us that were not too thrilled, and that is putting it lightly, with the Showcase yesterday.

It has been 2 years since we seen a "PlayStation Showcase," and this was the time right? This was the time to show us a sneak peak of at the very least one or maybe two games their legacy studios are working on, right?

Naughty Dog's Factions 2, especially coming off the massive success of the HBO series, and almost 3 years deep into this generation with a mode that was supposed to launch not far after TLoU Part 2, or even Bluepoint, that launched a stellar remake in Demon's Souls day and date of the PS5 release? It was at least time to announce their project, right? Nada!

Bend? Who have been teasing like the rest of them, more so the past couple of days before the event, where we have not seen a peep out of them other than current year damage control of "inclusivity" as a studio CULTure. Their last release was the divisive Day's Gone, in which I was LTTP and very much enjoyed my time with on the fully patched and stellar running/looking PS5 60fps "version." But again, nothing.

Not even a gameplay trailer for Silent Hill 2, which was, then wasn't, but then was again almost ready to be in a release state, just were bug squashing and optimizing, allegedly.

So I decided to step outside of the Gaf/message board bubble and take a good look at the gaming world as a whole, since like/dislike bombing has been a pretty decent barometer to where gamers get their point across as to their level of satisfaction with such events.

Here are the following likes/dislikes for the show, and trailers of games people on here, would have you to believe gamer's everywhere are not satisfied with:

AmSn8pW.jpg

vmXm8Ou.jpg

h5vXtA5.jpg

qGY5ZMr.jpg

vevG90R.jpg

iXtkMRK.jpg

HfjTFPI.jpg

J82JdOb.jpg

13e1Y6O.jpg

wmPkrvB.jpg

Ey3zbM3.jpg

AVWtzWk.jpg

wZJL1xl.jpg

i4ZcU0b.jpg

BYdWVdm.jpg

PooSxge.jpg

Gamers must have hated PSVR, right?

How about the Bungie GaaS? We all hate them, right?

People surely hate the Gran Turismo movie trailers, right?

People at least agreed on disliking, albeit not by much as the like ratios above, but they did dislike wish.com Splatoon and accessories, so there's that:

Vast majority dislikes the current year edgy and snooty checklist trope characters or game:

I think it's safe to say that we are the ones now out of touch with modern gaming and are the minority. Sad, but true.

At least we all have those massive backlogs for when it changes into zoomer 8 second attention span crack sample gaming, right Gaf, right?

the simpsons adult GIF

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
DeepEnigma DeepEnigma how does it feel like to be old man who is yelling at the cloud?

I understand coming out from your comfort zone is hard. Don't worry. I have a lot of casual games that I can share with you.
Don't get it twisted. This is not a "complaint thread," I am being facetious with a lot of what I am saying, and this puts into perspective that a lot on these isolated forums live in a minute bubble more often than not. The tradition tens of millions of selling single player games we are used to are still under development and are still coming.

I play plenty of casual indie games as well to break up the more core monotony time sink, at times.

brian0057

Banned
Does that yt dislike plugin actaully show the correct number, some only show the dislikes of other users that use that plugin.
The Return Youtube Dislike plugin uses historical records of videos prior the removal as a database while simultaneously using the data from those that have the plugin installed for videos uploaded after the removal.
It's not the exact number but it's pretty close.

Tsaki

Yes the hardcore are the most vocal when they don't get what they want. They also will preach about your product to everyone once they like something.
Don't forget that Youtube doesn't have Like/Dislike stats anymore. This is only available to people that put the add-on and these are the ones that are more likely to press the dislike button. So the actual ratio is more favourable.

Klayzer

It's no secret by now that there are many of us that were not too thrilled, and that is putting it lightly, with the Showcase yesterday.

It has been 2 years since we seen a "PlayStation Showcase," and this was the time right? This was the time to show us a sneak peak of at the very least one or maybe two games their legacy studios are working on, right?

Naughty Dog's Factions 2, especially coming off the massive success of the HBO series, and almost 3 years deep into this generation with a mode that was supposed to launch not far after TLoU Part 2, or even Bluepoint, that launched a stellar remake in Demon's Souls day and date of the PS5 release? It was at least time to announce their project, right? Nada!

Bend? Who have been teasing like the rest of them, more so the past couple of days before the event, where we have not seen a peep out of them other than current year damage control of "inclusivity" as a studio CULTure. Their last release was the divisive Day's Gone, in which I was LTTP and very much enjoyed my time with on the fully patched and stellar running/looking PS5 60fps "version." But again, nothing.

Not even a gameplay trailer for Silent Hill 2, which was, then wasn't, but then was again almost ready to be in a release state, just were bug squashing and optimizing, allegedly.

So I decided to step outside of the Gaf/message board bubble and take a good look at the gaming world as a whole, since like/dislike bombing has been a pretty decent barometer to where gamers get their point across as to their level of satisfaction with such events.

Here are the following likes/dislikes for the show, and trailers of games people on here, would have you to believe gamer's everywhere are not satisfied with:

Gamers must have hated PSVR, right?

How about the Bungie GaaS? We all hate them, right?

People surely hate the Gran Turismo movie trailers, right?

People at least agreed on disliking, albeit not by much as the like ratios above, but they did dislike wish.com Splatoon and accessories, so there's that:

I think it's safe to say that we are the ones now out of touch with modern gaming and are the minority. Sad, but true.

At least we all have those massive backlogs for when it changes into zoomer 8 second attention span crack sample gaming, right Gaf, right?
Personally, im way more excited for Sony's third party partnership games, than any of their first party stuff. With GrandBlue Fantasy being my most wanted release this year.

I enjoyed the show mostly. Above average, in my opinion.

Yeah I mean I'm a disenchantmented boomer, it's why I am so skeptical of everything. Hell, I didn't even get hyped for elden ring and I'm basically a fromdrone.

Tbh Sony lost me with the first trailer, the one with the $ in the title. I was juggling work and kids and the showcase and dropped the stream on trailer 2 with the giant musclegirl.

There are vast intellectual, hormonal and informational changes that have transpired since the boomers (millennials and gen x) were born, raised and educated.

Last edited:

ungalo

Because people are supposed to dislike Dragon's Dogma 2, Alan Wake 2 or even the chinese game that was impressive (but probably fake ?) ?

I don't see what this proves. Most of the games didn't deserve to be disliked on Youtube.

And i didn't like the showcase but didn't put a dislike because i don't care. Most people probably left a like before it even began.

Rudius

I'm playing more old games, more indies, and a lot less AAA.
I've been enjoying gaming a lot more since.
Maybe I'm overreacting, but that showcase left me so hopless for the future of games that it felt like an advertisement for those portable devices to play old games, or just to use my laptop to play more emulators.

At least Resident Evil 4 for PSVR2 will give me some solace.

Sethbacca

Has been the case for a long time. Gen Z has abysmal taste. They don't know any better.

When gaming was top tier, we were their age now. But the generation before us had no fucking clue about gaming.
Every generation that has ever existed thinks the art, music, movies, and now games created during their generation were the peak of form. Like, to some extent I agree with what you’re saying but it’s because I also have the confirmation bias that comes with having grown up with every console from the 80s to today. At some point people with our viewpoints will be the niche audience and we will just be the old man yelling at the cloud.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We're not out of touch, its just that consumers have gotten used to for the last 3 years to receive only crumbs of good shit and now every little crumb of bread we get we're happy. Same with the movie industry. We need a reboot.
You do make a good point. Mediocrity regressing us into the movie state of Idiocracy (which was a predictive programming documentary, I'm convinced of that).

mrmustard

Banned
It's not. Get the plugin everyone has.

iy2tyTL.png
Who is everyone? I use YT daily, and never heard about it and i bet many millions neither.
Edit: 'using a combination of scraped dislike stats and estimates extrapolated from extension user data'. Yeah, no thx that doesn't sound like valid data with very few % using it.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Its always been this way to be honest. You just have to look at how many on here scratch their heads when they see the kind of games that are being played the most, or how puzzled they get when a Indie game or AA game catches the masses imagination (but teh AAA graphics dudez!!!???), etc.

Last edited:

DosGamer

What is see is concerning as a gamer.

longer development cycles for games due to the graphics and such
The insane amount of cash required for the games to become a reality
working 5-8 years on something only for a gamer to speed run it in 25 hours... (return on investment as a dev.)
little to no creativity... its becoming less and less.
laziness by game companies that would rather remake a game cuz they know it sold well, versus something new.

saying all that, I was hoping for a great show yesterday but came away feeling mehh!!!! Just nothing really mind boggling other than Spider Man..
Even the Metal Gear 3 remake... was disappointing.

oh... and dont even get me started on the handheld shit.... what a joke...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nah, you're right. We are dinosaurs. The industry has left us behind. We made PS4 a success last gen and now that they know fortnite, warzone and other trash will make them billions, they dont need us anymore. Why spend $100 million on single player games when cheap trash from gaas studios will do.

Time to leave this hobby behind and do something else. I am clearly no longer their target audience.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
You do make a good point. Mediocrity regressing us into the movie state of Idiocracy (which was a predictive programming documentary, I'm convinced of that).

Bingo. Thats the goal of every corporation. They've gotten so big that our complaints aint gonna stop them anymore. Cyberpunk and the adpocalypse are becoming a reality. AI already started replacing a ton of jobs, prices skyrocketed, atmosphere is decaying, etc. I mean all the signs are there.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nah, you're right. We are dinosaurs. The industry has left us behind. We made PS4 a success last gen and now that they know fortnite, warzone and other trash will make them billions, they dont need us anymore. Why spend $100 million on single player games when cheap trash from gaas studios will do.

Time to leave this hobby behind and do something else. I am clearly no longer their target audience.
I still think they're coming. Hold the line, Slimy, hold the line!
Arnold Schwarzenegger Loop GIF by xponentialdesign

DeepEnigma DeepEnigma it took you too long to come to this realization. There were multiple signs already. I guess this past 24 hours was the most obvious one.
Nah, I was mainly being facetious, speaking in a character. I've known this for quite some time, but with that said, I still believe the single player sellers that put them on the map and what they are known for, are still coming.

Last edited:

Killer8

Youtube like ratios are a reminiscent of modern game review scores - once they drop below a certain level, it signifies that something is up. For example, a game that scores a 75 could still be seen as a 'good' score, but to a number of people it's fallen below a certain threshold that might cause some concern.

If something is very well received, Youtube like ratios are typically hugely in favour of the likes - as in, 50:1 and above. Zelda's launch trailer is almost 100:1 with 11 million views:

5CtS0N0.png

It should be worrying for any company's marketing department if the ratio starts resembling 20:1 or even 10:1 (or worse) in some cases.

Stuart360

I too agree that the single player games will still come, maybe not as many, and maybe some of them will also have co-op modes etc, but Sony wont abandon single player, even Microsoft wont.
Also we all know these huge AAA games take years, MS is suffering badly for it, and have been for a couple of years, Sony may well be in the same boat now. They will still come though.

Honestly thats why i strongly feel some of you should be more open to Indies and AA games. They fill in those gaps, and honestly those games tend to have all the real innovation these days.
They also tend to be games that i find the most 'fun', and gaming should be all about fun first and centre imo.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Jedi Survivor just came out, Final Fantasy is around the corner, Spider Man 2, Alan Wake 2, Starfield…

Maybe you’ve grown impatient, and you deal with time in a different way.

hyperbertha

Every generation that has ever existed thinks the art, music, movies, and now games created during their generation were the peak of form. Like, to some extent I agree with what you’re saying but it’s because I also have the confirmation bias that comes with having grown up with every console from the 80s to today. At some point people with our viewpoints will be the niche audience and we will just be the old man yelling at the cloud.
I don't know. I can accept citizen Kane/star wars etc as great movies. Who is going to look at suicide squad and say it's a goat game 50 years from now? Or those Avengers films?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I still think they're coming. Hold the line, Slimy, hold the line!

Nah, I was mainly being facetious, speaking in a character. I've known this for quite some time, but with that said, I still believe the single player sellers that put them on the map and what they are known for, are still coming.
They are coming but not for a few years, and at best once a year. We saw how long it took them to make iterative sequels like Horizon, GT7, GOW and now Spiderman. Next gen sequels will probably take 6 if not 7 years, and we might be looking at 2026 for TLOU3, 2027 for Horizon 3, and 2028 for whatever SSM is working on now. Bend is toast. 4 years and only a logo to show. Cory seems to have been jerking off these last FIVE years. Imagine working on something for five years and not having anything to show for it. Even Mass Effect Andromeda which was a disaster took five years, 3 prototyping and then 2 more to ship. Cory has shown nothing.

Neil last shipped a game 3 full years ago. had nothing to even show. Kojima has spent 4 years and had nothing except for a smaller teaser to show last year. These guys have lost that passion. That drive. Or things just take 7 years to make now. Sony said that 60% of their budget will go towards GAAS from now on. So they are probably shafting these single player devs who need money more than ever as games are taking longer and longer to make.

Id say the next five years from sony look like this:
2024 - Factions
2025 - Wolverine
2026 - TLOU3
2027 - Corys New IP
2028 - Horizon 3

With Ghosts 2 and Death Stranding sprinkled in there somewhere. Thats just crumbs to me. Just ten years ago, i used to get all those games in one year.

Knightime_X

Ps2 had thousands of games.
I was truly interested in MAYBE 5%.
Back then, a company could pump out 5x the amount of games seemingly 3x faster.

Fast forward to today.
Very slow development process, very few developers left compared to early 00's, and games are 10x more expensive to make.

Today, a single flop could spell the end to a lesser company as opposed to way back when.
It doesn't have to end this way.

mainstream gamers anymore only care about extreme graphics, 50-200+ hours play time bare minimum, selfish ideologies that heavily alienate fanbase potential, massive open world games.
A 7/10 game back then was still a good, memorable, solid work of art.

Today, is considered trash for whatever stupid reason.

I feel that most gamers have been conditioned to only like what makes a game good instead of what makes a game great.
If you don't understand what I'm saying, you're likely part of the problem.

/Old man rant

Last edited:
I liked a few of the games there but they were ones we already knew were coming and are multiplatform (excluding RE4VR).

I’ll stick to PC gaming I think. They tend to make games for old gits like me!

Sethbacca

Just ten years ago, i used to get all those games in one year.
Just ten years ago you could probably have gotten most of those games for the budget and time allowance required for a single modern game. Times have changed. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom