• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'We don't have shareholders, but we also don't think about them' — Larian Studios speak out against a brutal industry climate on stage at DICE Awards

TransTrender

Gold Member
sHhUXCjg6sEYVqEVLzAkvd-650-80.png.webp

Goddamn.
Compare that picture to the face associated with that Indiana Jones game:
kaqoyrT.jpg

Then consider Machine Games director Jerk Gustafsson has Adam Lanza eyes...
vzMpUJ3.jpg
rWN6X5h.jpg

Slimboy Fat

Cut down on cutscenes, they take a long time to make (expensive) and often do not add much to the game. The recent Zelda games were built around some core fun gameplay systems and a large sandbox for them to play out in. NPC's were neither voiced nor much animated and yet the games blow the likes of Avatar or Immortals of Aveium or w/e out of the water. Leave the cinema to the big screen.

Graphics are also overrated for commercial success as we have recently been reminded by Palworld, Helldivers and ofc, continually, by Nintendo.

KXVXII9X

Cut down on cutscenes, they take a long time to make (expensive) and often do not add much to the game. The recent Zelda games were built around some core fun gameplay systems and a large sandbox for them to play out in. NPC's were neither voiced nor much animated and yet the games blow the likes of Avatar or Immortals of Aveium or w/e out of the water. Leave the cinema to the big screen.

Graphics are also overrated for commercial success as we have recently been reminded by Palworld, Helldivers and ofc, continually, by Nintendo.
It is amazing how we all value different things in gaming. I like high quality cutscenes and don't enjoy games as much when there is very little story or presentation. It is one reason I'm not hooked into a lot of survival games. Not every games needs a lot of them as I enjoy a lot of Nintendo titles but they can really elevate games that focus on narrative like in Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth.

KXVXII9X

Not dropping quality, just keeping it more or less the same while experimenting in other directions. This is exactly what Nintendo did with the DS and the Wii. And the western industry completely failed to understand, even when Nintendo cited these exact reasons for pivoting.
I miss the DS and Wii era. The West's obsession with labeling everything a gimmick made the industry really stagnant. I love the Switch concept as well. VR also offers alternatives solutions but it is handwaved the same way.

Ogbert

These sorts of interview are insufferable.

Larian Studios are working in a genre and with an IP that benefits from a PC audience at its core, as opposed to console. They also face little in the way of competition, as no one else is making this style of game.

Developers need to accept that if they need hundreds of million to make a game, it’s not outrageous to want to see a return or at least make demands upon that delivery.

It is what it is.

Slimboy Fat

It is amazing how we all value different things in gaming. I like high quality cutscenes and don't enjoy games as much when there is very little story or presentation. It is one reason I'm not hooked into a lot of survival games. Not every games needs a lot of them as I enjoy a lot of Nintendo titles but they can really elevate games that focus on narrative like in Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth.
Well from a purely commercial standpoint. If both designs have sales potential but one is cheaper to make...

CamHostage

Becoming increasingly difficult to find studios with attitudes like Larian's in mega-corp environments.

Eh, kind of but not really; you'll find a ton of development studios with attitudes like Larian's, but having the latitude of choices from a recurring consumer base and warchest and financial investors is rare, and very few developers can get by on the faith that if you build it, they will come.

For every special success story of a developer which put its heart and soul into producing what they believed was what was exactly what gamers needed and managed to hit it big, there are many developer stories where people worked just as hard and believed with the same conviction and did everything they could to disregard the budget or marketing notes and just plowed ahead towards their dreams, yet they failed and died.

Last edited:
Top Bottom