• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like 360, Xbox One requires games on non-purchasing consoles to check in online

jwk94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdpOuTqGUJo

FGCNN decided to give the Xbox One the benefit of the doubt regarding the DRM incident and did their due diligence by contacting Microsoft about the issue before running the story. However, Microsoft declined to respond but one of the PR they contacted said to them – before hanging up – “What is 'FGCNN'?”

Worse yet is that the DRM check-in, as showcased in the video above, completely kicked the users out of the game. So before saving anything, logging anything or issuing a warning, the check-in just completely exits the user with complete and total disregard to the user activity or the content.

On the Test Your Might forum, one user responds to the incident, noting that it wasn't isolated and has occurred a couple of times during Killer Instinct tournaments...
“We've already had issues with it a few times at tournaments. The DRM system is still in place for games that are digitally downloaded, such as Killer Instinct. Disc-based games don't require it, but downloads still do. We had a particularly annoying issue with my XB1 at the Break a few weeks ago because I hadn't logged in previously that day for the checkin AND the online servers for KI were having issues. So I couldn't access the game offline because I needed to check in and I couldn't check in because of the problem they were having. VERY annoying that these systems are still in place. Microsoft was not up front about this, and it's really disheartening. The system is not necessary when the bulk of their games are going to be on disc.”

CinemaBlend

Do tournaments use retail consoles?

Ostinatto

iH7BmuDMizGHs.gif

paolo11

They were playing on a secondary console thus the game needs to be online. There is no DRM check in if you play it on your primary console.

MavFan619

Banned
They were playing on a secondary console thus the game needs to be online. There is no DRM check in if you play it on your primary console.
Yeah I watched it live and a lot of people in chat made the suggestion the console for the game be made primary console.

Eusis

That does sound about right, which might actually be more forgiving than the 360 given I think that was "stay online or don't play."

Ah well, I guess for a tournament they need to get a bunch of systems to own the game so anyone can log in and play. Or so that's how I'd hope it'd work.

They weren't using the accounts permanent system, so the Xbox wanted to make sure the proper account is playing.

This is exactly how the system works on Xbox 360. I don't see the issue.

PSGames

I didn't have internet for a Week as I was waiting for it to be installed at my new place and I could play Killer Instinct just fine.

Rubius

So... EVO will cancel the Killer Instinct run? Because really it's pretty ridiculous than the DRM is still there for digital games.

No issue just media hype and a lot of the titles out now were oringinally made for the version xbox expected to push out

I expect these issues and lengthy installs to be a thing of past later in 2014

paolo11

Rest assured there is no DRM check in. MS is a company of their word.

Why can 't they make a retail version of KI for 29.99 dollars?

PSGames

Great PR there, Microsoft. That's going to win you a whole lot of Worst Company in America points.

Now it's easy to say that FGCNN isn't a big name site and Microsoft had no reason to respond to a potentially damaging story, but what happens when Kotaku gets a hold of it? Or Eurogamer? Or Game Informer? I doubt making a shrewd remark will go over well when the gaming community already has a low standard of Microsoft and the Xbox One.

I guess everyone who was called tinfoil-hat wearing conspiracy theorists for holding off on purchasing an Xbox One can take a sigh of relief... it looks like you guys were right again.

What excellent journalism! Not sure why any articles are being posted from this site.

UNCMark

Banned
Doesn't the 360 require you to always be online? Which would be worse than this.

Yep. 360 would force you to either transfer licenses or always be online. I'd say I'm surprised these people didn't know what they were doing, but then I listened to the guy in the video and I became less surprised.

Not the same thing but I had a problem where Killer Instinct got stuck at "Checking DLC". I tried unplugging my console's ethernet and the game just refused to start entirely. Ruined an evening of gaming.

Persona7

Banned
I got this a few times on 360 when I transferred all my XBLA games and did a license transfer but didn't redownload the title. All you have to do is re-download the items and it instantly aquires the new license without having to re-download the entire game.

Syriel

Which is exactly how it works on the 360 today as well.

Primary console - no need to be online.
Roaming console - get that thing online son!

now I'm curious about how tournaments are done for other DD only games. If I recall correctly, PC games allow you to buy "site licenses" and stuff like that, or require internet access (which was its own controversy I think). Have there been any other major fighting game tournaments with DD only games? VF5 Final Showdown?

EvB

now I'm curious about how tournaments are done for other DD only games. If I recall correctly, PC games allow you to buy "site licenses" and stuff like that, or require internet access (which was its own controversy I think). Have there been any other major fighting game tournaments with DD only games? VF5 Final Showdown?

They will just have to purchase a copy of the game on that machine.

That's the problem is it not?

Syriel

You would do the same as you do with physical games.

Buy a copy for each console that is going to be played on.

If you need to transfer a license, you do that before the tournament starts.

jiggles

Banned
While the appearance of the message is understandable if it's a digital game on a second console, the actual wording of it is obnoxious.

They will just have to purchase a copy of the game on that machine.

That's the problem is it not?

You would do the same as you do with physical games.

Buy a copy for each console that is going to be played on.

If you need to transfer a license, you do that before the tournament starts.

lol fair enough. I guess I was overthinking it a bit. I'm guessing they just didn't do all the license transfer stuff properly in all cases. That said, it's easier to visualize a stack of 20 discs on a shelf, that can be plopped into whatever console you want, than it is to visualize 20 separate accounts, and 20 separate account licenses installed on separate machines that have to be transferred around. I think that's what leads to stories like this and a lot of the controversy over DRM, even if it's ultimately the same "20 separate purchases are needed to play on 20 separate consoles" concept in both cases.

sportz103

lol fair enough. I guess I was overthinking it a bit. I'm guessing they just didn't do all the license transfer stuff properly in all cases. That said, it's easier to visualize a stack of 20 discs on a shelf, that can be plopped into whatever console you want, than it is to visualize 20 separate accounts, and 20 separate account licenses installed on separate machines that have to be transferred around. I think that's what leads to stories like this and a lot of the controversy over DRM, even if it's ultimately the same "20 separate purchases are needed to play on 20 separate consoles" concept in both cases.

So basically it's like a PC tournament with licenses?

Top Bottom