• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox downtime leaves some users unable to boot games (if they hadn't set their console to home/primary)

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
No issues with playing AC Odyssey earlier today. Microsoft needs to eliminate their DRM bullshit on Xbox. It's fucking ridiculous. Not just because of this current issue but also, you can't use the console without first setting it up with an online internet connection. Then, you can't play games unless you verify them first. So if you have a disc based game for example, install the game and try to play it, a pop up message will appear telling you to connect online to basically verify the damn thing. With PS4/PS5, you don't need an internet connection to setup your console or play your disc based games. Just install the game and once done, boom, you can start playing. Don't need a system update, game update or any verification for the game.

Eventually, a time will come when millions of consumers have this issue and it lasts for days if not weeks and will be a huge clusterfuck for Microsoft. No reason to have this DRM bullshit. Everything should simply just fucking work.

sn0man

Fucking GT7

Multiple gt7 with tons of games, and you get this fiasco.
Xbox being a shithead about requiring online for the console to even set it up is shitty. GT7 also shitty locking all the game behind an online connection.

This isn’t Xbox vs PS. Single player gaming, as you rightly pointed out, doesn’t need a DRM check.

In fact, I’d argue in 2022 that an online check is even less useful now. Everyone wants to be online to play games. Internet is very available in a large part of the world. These outages just highlight how it’s not an internet issue but a the games we pay for are tied to some companies server issue.
Online check-ins and setups and all that just needs to die for game consoles.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Xbox being a shithead about requiring online for the console to even set it up is shitty. GT7 also shitty locking all the game being an online connection.

This isn’t Xbox vs PS. Single player gaming, as you rightly pointed out, doesn’t need a DRM check.

I’m fact, I’d argue in 2022 that an online check is even less useful now. Everyone wants to be online to play games. Internet is very available in a large part of the world. These outages just highlight how it’s not an internet issue but a the games we pay for are tied to some companies server issue.
Online check-ins and setups and all that just needs to die for game consoles.
This isnt just xbox only. PC players also experience this shit with other launchers. I am basically forced to have internet connection for Rockstar launcher.

MS on other hand, is just shit in general. They are so hard on this drm shit, that they made windows store shit for a long time. Its why steam didnt have competition from windows store. Because MS is fucking that stupid to change.

Last edited:

daffyduck

I always find the reaction of people when something that works for 99.9999% stops for a few hours amusing. I work in the cell phone industry and the blowback we receive when one out of 3 million text messages fails to send is very peculiar.
At the prices cell carriers charge, you shouldn’t.

PhaseJump

Banned
I haven't touched my One X in a few months. I went to log in and grab the GWG today and that's broken.

Oh well. Back to playing JRPGs on Steam Deck. It's not like Phil Spencer has told us to "Keep asking" for them this past year like every other year. Is it Wednesday yet?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Omg omg omg the sky is falling, I can't play games for 12 hours out of the 8000+ hours a year we have. So much whining over nothing.
And even with that 95% of the users probably just watched a show or played on thier playstation, switch or phone. Poor babies.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
At the prices cell carriers charge, you shouldn’t.
Well I don't think anyone should reasonably assume that our national infrastructure is ever going to be 100% on at all times without downtime. There are literally 1000's of variables that could effect a systems outcome. I myself am amazed and appreciative that we have built systems that works as reliably as they do. I am typically a glass half full type of guy.

kiphalfton

Just got back into playing something on Game Pass on PC yesterday, for the first time in several months, and now shit isn't working.

I always find the reaction of people when something that works for 99.9999% stops for a few hours amusing. I work in the cell phone industry and the blowback we receive when one out of 3 million text messages fails to send is very peculiar.

Yeah because one person having an issue is the same as millions of people having the same issue. Besides it's not like Microsoft shouldn't have contingency plans for this sort of thing. They're literally one of the biggest companies in the world, so this is completely unacceptable.

Last edited:

I Master l

Banned
I did test a bunch of games offline .. all purchased games works fine offline 'as it should be' most gampass games also work fine but there
are some gamepass games that didnt work ''gears 4, hellblade,ori,gears ultimate'' without an online connection even when my xbox is set
as home console .. WTF MS

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I've heard from multiple people that if you are having issues and you do a full restart. Like a proper shutdown, restart. It fixes the issue.

I find that funny.

It Crowd Maurice Moss GIF

anthony2690

Banned
Not true, as it was happening to me, and my console was set as my home.
Is it actually though?
Cause I feel like people assume the Xbox automatically sets your console as your home (when in fact you have to manually set it)

I was online last night and night before playing with friends issue free, whilst the only friends having issues are the ones who game share. (As obviously their consoles are not set to home)

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member

The text was to 999 though....

I got stung by this initially like a year ago. I had an S already set up, and the X was the second console. I don't game share on xbox like ps so I just picked it up and took it on vacation. Couldn't play anything because I'd not set it to home on the new box.

In the end I just tethered it and fixed it that way. But obviously if live is down that wouldn't be an option. I think they need to make it clearer for those not game sharing but will be moving console to offline places.

Also need to make it clear which games won't even start without active connections etc

ZywyPL

Banned
I've heard from multiple people that if you are having issues and you do a full restart. Like a proper shutdown, restart. It fixes the issue.

I find that funny.

It Crowd Maurice Moss GIF

I just remembered how many times I used to punch/kick my old PCs as a kid when something didn't go as expected, now I ask myself what the hell was I expecting lol

Alpha Male

I have mine set to Home console and I couldn't launch many of my games...actually it was some 360 games and GamePass games like Halo and Forza Horizon that didn't work but the rest seemed fine.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Just got back into playing something on Game Pass on PC yesterday, for the first time in several months, and now shit isn't working.

Yeah because one person having an issue is the same as millions of people having the same issue. Besides it's not like Microsoft shouldn't have contingency plans for this sort of thing. They're literally one of the biggest companies in the world, so this is completely unacceptable.
I realize an anecdote can't in capsulate the entirety of an issue that it's being compared against, but to play devil's advocate, I was referring to an issue that effected nearly 150,000 people. Again, I think it's unreasonable to assume that our modern miracles are going to be without fault and I wouldn't classify a few hours of downtime every few years as unacceptable.

In this case, the issue could have entirely been avoided, much like I avoided it, by simply having the Xbox set to home. Now for people who are game sharing that's not going to provide much comfort, but that's the inherit cost of gaming the system.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So very true, It's almost like the worst thing was for MS to make a 12 Teraflop GPU and also spend big on its studios. It meant the SONY fans have gone into meltdown and looking for any excuse to knock it.
Either it is a confession about the string of Sony Anti Consumer monster thread that pop up every so often as mostly concern trolls or it is a victim card played early ;).

I saw Xbox Live was trending on twitter for its servers being down, so I went to GAF and saw that it was also down for a while at the same time.
I then remember what Kratos said in his account suicide thread and all of a sudden it all fell into place....

Three

I saw Xbox Live was trending on twitter for its servers being down, so I went to GAF and saw that it was also down for a while at the same time.
I then remember what Kratos said in his account suicide thread and all of a sudden it all fell into place....
Probably the first thing a bunch of people did was to check gaf to see if others were having a similar issue.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Xbox wasn't really intended to game share with the "set xbox to home" setting, so it's really on you if you share games with something.

I share my games with my gf, and while it's annoying when I can't play, it doesn't happen often on my part. It is still unacceptable though.

But the console that has set xbox as home console can play regardless of being online or not. AFAIK it will check online once a week or so to see if you are still home console or something.

M16

Since 2013 and people still don't bother to know that there is an offline mode in the settings. But 99.9% of the time it's useless anyways, so stop bitching

reinking

Gold Member
I like how some people are telling customers to stop bitching and do something else. Which would MS prefer? People to move on and play something on a competing console without being bothered? Or be a little anxious for MS to get their shit together? I understand that this is tech and stuff happens but MS is pushing for cloud gaming and these kind of outages do not instill confidence to consumers. There are a lot of potential cloud gaming customers out there that are only reading headlines. While outages are far apart from each other those people just remember seeing headlines over the years of "Xbox Live being down."

MikeM

So very true, It's almost like the worst thing was for MS to make a 12 Teraflop GPU and also spend big on its studios. It meant the SONY fans have gone into meltdown and looking for any excuse to knock it.

I can't wait for next months showcase
What does this have to do with Live service killing access to games already on your console?

nowhat

I couldn't purchase games but online multiplayer was working fine even when there are a massage in the settings
There's a massage in the settings? Does it come with a happy ending?

I guess I need to reconsider getting a Series console.

Isa

I had problems myself, when I finally had time to game. Thankfully I have other consoles, handhelds, PC. But it sucked as that's where my group is as well. It is worrying for the future and really reaffirms my love for older gens and PC/emulation(not current gen). Thankfully it was resolved without me needing to do anything apart from wait. Also my console was set to primary from the One X, Series X, PS whatever has the option I set it as such. When I checked it was deselected and trying to reapply the setting it would hang on the loading symbol for over half and hour before I'd just quite out to dash.

Hopefully they do something to not lock people out of their purchases, but I'd wager it won't happen in the Own Nothing and Be Happy future.

Crazy how hardly anybody is talking about this. If this was Sony every part of the Internet would be complaining and corporate slaves like Jeff Grub Slub and Jezz dumb dumb would of made 20 articles and hundreds of tweets.

What exactly is there to talk about? People are talking about DRM DRM DRM but it’s just basic offline settings and game sharing.

Deerock71

I've known about the home console setting ever since the days of the Xbox One.
It's a shame the Xbox One was such a dud system overall or else more people would know to do this.
I don't understand why it's not enabled by default. It's only an issue if you have multiple consoles. Guess Microsoft is thinking 'positive' that every household will have more than one xbox. (Even though Gamepass family sharing is still not a thing yet)
Two Xbox Series S, An Xbox One X, and an Xbox Series X here. Aye.
Countdown To Christmas GIF by Hallmark Channel

My series X has "Make this my home xbox" checked. Always had been checked and like people have mentioned, it's checked by default.

I've restarted my machine multiple times, I am not on standby mode. I have checked to see if I am logged in, which I am.

I am able to log into netflix and play a movie. Yet I can't play any of my downloaded gamepass/gold games.

So I am not sure if the xbox as your primary home system is a solution. And if it doesn't work to let you play the game for 30 days offline before you have to log back in, then does it mean every game checks every time you want to play?

I had assumed you had a few days grace period for playing without being checked. But to be checked every time you want to play a downloaded game is a bit much and can lead to problems like this when there is an outage?
It’s even worse than that, I was playing halo wars and the game kept closing during gameplay because of this issue. I think I’ll cancel my gamepass and sell my series x because both gamepass quality is going down and you can’t even play games you legally bought and/or downloaded via gamepass because ms f*cks up. If this stuff even legal?

kingfey

Banned
Crazy how hardly anybody is talking about this. If this was Sony every part of the Internet would be complaining and corporate slaves like Jeff Grub Slub and Jezz dumb dumb would of made 20 articles and hundreds of tweets.
This isn't forced online, like gt7.
This is unexpected error, which shows how shit MS DRM is.

If they hadn't done that fortnite xcloud move, then this wouldn't have happened at all.

I am glad it happened though. DrM has no place on our systems. I hope this forces MS to change their approach.

kingfey

Banned
It’s even worse than that, I was playing halo wars and the game kept closing during gameplay because of this issue. I think I’ll cancel my gamepass and sell my series x because both gamepass quality is going down and you can’t even play games you legally bought and/or downloaded via gamepass because ms f*cks up. If this stuff even legal?
Calm down there buddy.
This is just service error from their side.
It doesn't happen every day. It was unexpected error, that come during the weekend.

its already working again. It was what a day and a half? which is unusual but tolerable. This has happened maybe 2-3 times now, in the 15 years i've been using XBOX.
Meanwhile Playstation online has gone down like 300 times since i've started using it in 2009. And this was seemingly only effecting dummies like me who gameshare

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
its already working again. It was what a day and a half? which is unusual but tolerable. This has happened maybe 2-3 times now, in the 15 years i've been using XBOX.
Meanwhile Playstation online has gone down like 300 times since i've started using it in 2009. And this was seemingly only effecting dummies like me who gameshare

Ironic, since overall Xbox live has more downtimes then PSN in general. But i see a lot of people here in full damage control and some even are hypocrites around here. "It's working again bla bla bla". Yeah even when GT7 was working again, we still saw multiple articles for days.

The media was completely exaggerating and the xbox fans loved it, and now look at some of them here.... ostrich effect.

This isn't forced online, like gt7.
This is unexpected error, which shows how shit MS DRM is.

If they hadn't done that fortnite xcloud move, then this wouldn't have happened at all.

I am glad it happened though. DrM has no place on our systems. I hope this forces MS to change their approach.

How is this not forced drm?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I'm an xbox fan, but I think it would be great if they can relax some of their DRM to allow something like 48 hours time frame to check in. I dunno, but they must be able to sort something out.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What kind of server architecture you have that, when a lot of people connect, fucking license server also go down. Makes no sense. Wish that they would make it more like steam is handling stuff, but if they don't, then fucking strengthen the server architecture.

.net C# << GO

Connxtion

Set console to home, never worry about losing internet or server access again for SP games.

Share your games, then you’re out of luck and that’s on you and not MS fault 🤷‍♂️

It’s a non issue 😂 we all know we need an active connection to the servers if we are sharing games. (Think over the years it’s happened to me a handful of times, granted am not on the Xbox much now a days but still)

Last edited:
Top Bottom