• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox downtime leaves some users unable to boot games (if they hadn't set their console to home/primary)

Ironic, since overall Xbox live has more downtimes then PSN in general. But i see a lot of people here in full damage control and some even are hypocrites around here. "It's working again bla bla bla". Yeah even when GT7 was working again, we still saw multiple articles for days.

The media was completely exaggerating and the xbox fans loved it, and now look at some of them here.... ostrich effect.

How is this not forced drm?
I've been using Xbox Live since Gears of War came out on 360. I've been using PSN since a little after Metal Gear Solid 4 came out. I have had both of them the whole time with no gaps. Continously. I can unequivocally tell u that PSN has been unsuable more than Xbox Live. And its not even close. And anyone thats had both for a long time (which is probably many ppl). Could tell u so. Xbox for whatever reason will have certain parts that go down? Like the ability to buy things etc. For a couple hours every now and then. While PSN goes completely down. I dont know if this is a structure thing or whatever.

but yeh the amount of times i couldn't play Xbox in the last 15 years due to online issues i can count on probably one hand. I would need like 3 extra hands to count how many times thats happened to me on Playstation in that same time. YMMV. I barely play playstation now. So it could be even worse than i know. And in the 360 era towards the end i only played Playstation. So maybe 360 online got terrible but i doubt it

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I've been using Xbox Live since Gears of War came out on 360. I've been using PSN since a little after Metal Gear Solid 4 came out. I have had both of them the whole time with no gaps. Continously. I can unequivocally tell u that PSN has been unsuable more than Xbox Live. And its not even close. And anyone thats had both for a long time (which is probably many ppl). Could tell u so. Xbox for whatever reason will have certain parts that go down? Like the ability to buy things etc. For a couple hours every now and then. While PSN goes completely down. I dont know if this is a structure thing or whatever.

but yeh the amount of times i couldn't play Xbox in the last 15 years due to online issues i can count on probably one hand. I would need like 3 extra hands to count how many times thats happened to me on Playstation in that same time. YMMV. I barely play playstation now. So it could be even worse than i know. And in the 360 era towards the end i only played Playstation. So maybe 360 online got terrible but i doubt it

The same goes for PSN. When was PSN completely down? As for Xbox Live, it has in general more downtimes worldwide then PSN.

The same goes for PSN. When was PSN completely down? As for Xbox Live, it has in general more downtimes worldwide then PSN.
Ummm. Gonna need some data on that. My Xbone team has been down less times than I can count on one hand and I started at the Big Box Kotor era.

Last edited:
Is it actually though?
Cause I feel like people assume the Xbox automatically sets your console as your home (when in fact you have to manually set it)

I was online last night and night before playing with friends issue free, whilst the only friends having issues are the ones who game share. (As obviously their consoles are not set to home)
See, it's the craziest thing. I can read and I'm able to go into my Settings menu and check and see that the box is checked off.

kingfey

Banned
How is this not forced drm?
Because you can bypass that shit, by setting it home console.

Its just that these past 2 days shows, their drm is shit. And that even making it home console, won't allow you to play some games, incase big shit like this happens again.

Anyway, this is good opportunity for us gamers. It should teach MS to evaluate their stupid drm, and their home console policy.

Just another faux concern, misinformation thread. Xbox is killing it, so expect it to keep coming.
Are you really going to pretend lik Xbox wasn't down? Lol "misinformation"? They literally had a message pop up saying that it was a problem on their end. Failing to see why people are so quick to deny reality.

kingfey

Banned
Set console to home, never worry about losing internet or server access again for SP games.

Share your games, then you’re out of luck and that’s on you and not MS fault 🤷‍♂️

It’s a non issue 😂 we all know we need an active connection to the servers if we are sharing games. (Think over the years it’s happened to me a handful of times, granted am not on the Xbox much now a days but still)
You cant use your xbox, even if it's on home console.
The network outage caused some malfunction, which makes your xbox not home console.

Banned
You cant use your xbox, even if it's on home console.
The network outage caused some malfunction, which makes your xbox not home console.

that makes zero sense, the XBox doesn't need to connect online to work as your home console. all you have to do if you have errors like that is actually set it to offline because connecting to faulty servers will confuse the system because it tries to connect while getting errors.

so set it to offline and it works

Exanthus

Banned
This cant have been global? I was happily playing during this 'outage'.

I have Home Xbox set but people are saying that it didn't help?

kingfey

Banned
that makes zero sense, the XBox doesn't need to connect online to work as your home console. all you have to do if you have errors like that is actually set it to offline because connecting to faulty servers will confuse the system because it tries to connect while getting errors.

so set it to offline and it works
Good. Tell that to the average Joe.

90% of them won't pay attention to this.

Those are the people who are having these issues.

Banned
Good. Tell that to the average Joe.

90% of them won't pay attention to this.

Those are the people who are having these issues.

agreed, the console should not have these errors and simply go offline on its own, but many have now spread misinformation about the online DRM of the console due to that, even tho the DRM for digital games is quite literally identical across every system including PS5, Switch and even Steam

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned

Xcloud caused an overload on their network.
3 days ago it was fine. But once fortnite was announced, entire thing went to mayhem.

Banned
Xcloud caused an overload on their network.
3 days ago it was fine. But once fortnite was announced, entire thing went to mayhem.

it was also definitely Fortnite, no matter what anyone on twitter says.
they actually took some of the Fortnite store items completely offline for some time to make it easier on the servers. Vbucks could not be bought for multimple hours for example, even the store pages of them wouldn't load.

so there must have been a pretty big crowd playing over xcloud

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

kingfey

Banned
agreed, the console should not have these errors and simply go offline on its own, but many have now spread misinformation about the online DRM of the console due to that.
Drm is what makes their digital games not work, without internet.
Setting home console allows you to play those games. But if the console can't recognize it, the drm will block the access to those games, thinking that you are sharing the game.

Most people are saying they can't play their digital games.

kingfey

Banned
it was also definitely Fortnite, no matter what anyone on twitter says.
they actually took some of the Fortnite store items completely offline for some time to make it easier on the servers. Vbucks could not be bought for multimple hours for example, even the store pages of them wouldn't load.

so there must have been a pretty big crowd playing over xcloud
That is the only way, xbox can have this long outage.
The main issues were cloud gaming and gamepass.

Banned
Drm is what makes their digital games not work, without internet.
Setting home console allows you to play those games. But if the console can't recognize it, the drm will block the access to those games, thinking that you are sharing the game.

Most people are saying they can't play their digital games.

they say that because the console is still online and connected to Xbox Live, while some parts of the service is experiencing errors. you have to set the console to offline to get around that

kingfey

Banned
they say that because the console is still online and connected to Xbox Live, while some parts of the service is experiencing errors. you have to set the console to offline to get around that
That is a fix.
But drm plays the role of not playing the game, when its online.
Both can be true.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
this has forced me to play my PS5 more. Which im now noticing my library on Playstation kinda sucks. No wonder i never play it. But this is because xbox is so much better in terms of BC, controller and enhancing games that I rarely buy anything on a Playstation console. So im mostly playing PS+ games
Peace warrior. Lay down thy sword.

Banned
That is a fix.
But drm plays the role of not playing the game, when its online.
Both can be true.

not really, it's not the DRM as you can play offline no issue, it is a server error. your account tries to check in, but the server doesn't respond. the normal reaction of the OS is to then tell you you don't own the game.

it is therefore a bug and not really a fault of the DRM system.

like I said, I think they should fix this bug real fast for when this happens again. the console should simply check in offline mode if the necessary licenses are owned by the user as a fallback.

Antwix

Yeah same here. I was playing just fine all through this. I did have my xbox set to primary/home prior to all this as well.

agreed, the console should not have these errors and simply go offline on its own, but many have now spread misinformation about the online DRM of the console due to that, even tho the DRM for digital games is quite literally identical across every system including PS5, Switch and even Steam
Steam has always had a functioning offline mode and unless you are specifically playing a game that makes you go online to connect to its own servers, it works fine when Steam is inaccessible. This has been the case for over a decade now. PC gamers don't put up with shit that console gamers put up with.

Banned
Steam has always had a functioning offline mode and unless you are specifically playing a game that makes you go online to connect to its own servers, it works fine when Steam is inaccessible. This has been the case for over a decade now. PC gamers don't put up with shit that console gamers put up with.

Steam's DRM works exactly the same as the Xbox's, like I said, it's a bug.
the console is ONLINE, as in Xbox Live is not down, but some of the servers had issues, and that is why it returned that message as a bug.

how is this hard to understand?

Last edited:
Peace warrior. Lay down thy sword.
most ppl own both consoles. most ppl don't have a dog in the fight. most ppl dont gaf about console warrior nonsense.
pepsi and coke have differences. but its still soda
xbox and playstation are the same gd thing...so anyone that immediately wants to point a finger and yell console war can get over themselves cuz normal ppl dont care. Its just factual product information from consumers

Lognor

Banned
Source on that? I remember my psn going down more than once when I had a ps3 but maybe it got better once Sony started charging for it. And then I read about multiple occasions when psn went down during the ps4 days. Once during the holiday season maybe and another when they were hacked I think. This is the first time I remember xbox being down but I've only had an Xbox since series x launched. And don't forget, gt7 was offline for several days. Not all of psn but still a bad look.

kingfey

Banned
most ppl own both consoles. most ppl don't have a dog in the fight. most ppl dont gaf about console warrior nonsense.
pepsi and coke have differences. but its still soda
xbox and playstation are the same gd thing...so anyone that immediately wants to point a finger and yell console war can get over themselves cuz normal ppl dont care. Its just factual product information from consumers
I guess you never heard twitter.
Some people are so defensive about these plastic boxes, and the companies behind them.
We had someone who went full loco here, and did suicide account.
Right now, the sticky rules stops that.

p.s. ignore my warnings. Got those, when I tried to get in to argument with those people, and got in to the crossfire. Rules are murky, so watch your words carefully here

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Are you really going to pretend lik Xbox wasn't down? Lol "misinformation"? They literally had a message pop up saying that it was a problem on their end. Failing to see why people are so quick to deny reality.
It's not being down that I'm talking about. It's people acting like they have no idea how home console works and that it's something unique to Xbox or that this is some DRM horror show. Just a bunch of fake outrage and misinformation about how things actually work in most of this thread.

BigBooper

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the headline is wrong. It affects home consoles too.

It really sucks and MS needs to address it. No reason for purchased games to be unplayable when their network goes down. Where's lizard squad when you need em ?

Ezekiel_

Banned
Basketball Ok GIF by Malcolm France

kingfey

Banned
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the headline is wrong. It affects home consoles too.

It really sucks and MS needs to address it. No reason for purchased games to be unplayable when their network goes down. Where's lizard squad when you need em ?
There is no need to address it.
We need the entire thing to be destroyed. No user should experience those stuff.
It affects the trust between the platform holder and the user.
If MS doesn't throw this shit away, it would be their 2nd xbox one disaster.

I shouldn't be forced to not play my games, because of internet outage. It makes my console worthless.

sachos

How DRM ridden the Xbox Series is really sucks, but what's even sadder is seeing people defend mega corporations over their own interests as consumers. A bunch of people in the community have been talking about the issues with online DRM and game ownership/preservation like John from DF, MVG or DoesItPlay community on twitter, its kind of a silver lining that the recent GT7 and Xbox downtimes opened the eyes of some people to start understanding the problem.

I also wanted to refute two of the most common arguments brought up as a "defense" each time the discussion around Xbox DRM pops up:

.- "Just set your console as home console" this only works after the game is installed, for disc games if you haven't installed the game yet you will most likely need internet to either finish the install (because Xbox Series discs are mostly just Xbox One discs without the next gen version on it) or to finish the one time activation for Xbox One games (you need to download a compatibility patch)
MVG made a video testing this out only game that worked is DMC 5 since it has a Series X only disc with the full game in it.

I also want to recommend this video that goes over the whole issue explaining it really well plus doing a lot of testing

.- "Discs are just a download key anyway, the game is not completly on disc" This is a problem plaguing Xbox right now be it due to Smart Delivery support forcing them to have only the Xbox One version on disc or because they just don't care about releasing good physical releases (Halo Infinite, FH5, Flight Sim, all those discs are useless without internet) since most of the Xbox fanbase seems to prefer digital.
Physical releases on Nintendo's and Sony's platform seem to be mostly just fine (you can play and finish without ever needing internet), as proved by the testing done by DoesItPlay community on Twitter. You can check their findings here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KB3dfTKMhudQD9OWVY8p0GRGvWqeblHAjsb8HsarzYU/edit#gid=0

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

I had no problem buying Vbucks or stuff from the store.

sn0man

I also wanted to refute two of the most common arguments brought up as a "defense" each time the discussion around Xbox DRM pops up:
This is a really great post. Thank you for pointing this out. The online DRM and discs as install keys issue are really hurting the preservation of the MS consoles. I hope they see the outrage and reconsider their position.

kingfey

Banned
Preach it! Many Xbox fans that hate DRM like myself would love Microsoft to reverse course on this crap.
That is the only reason, why I am not bothering with their windows store. Didnt touch gamepass pc, since it blocked me from accessing it, while my internet was out. Turned out, I had to start it once every month to play it offline. That is just bull crap. I have some steam games, which I dont turn it on for 2 months. How am I supposed to play windows games once a month?

TidusYuna

How DRM ridden the Xbox Series is really sucks, but what's even sadder is seeing people defend mega corporations over their own interests as consumers. A bunch of people in the community have been talking about the issues with online DRM and game ownership/preservation like John from DF, MVG or DoesItPlay community on twitter, its kind of a silver lining that the recent GT7 and Xbox downtimes opened the eyes of some people to start understanding the problem.

.- "Just set your console as home console" this only works after the game is installed, for disc games if you haven't installed the game yet you will most likely need internet to either finish the install (because Xbox Series discs are mostly just Xbox One discs without the next gen version on it) or to finish the one time activation for Xbox One games (you need to download a compatibility patch)
MVG made a video testing this out only game that worked is DMC 5 since it has a Series X only disc with the full game in it.

I also want to recommend this video that goes over the whole issue explaining it really well plus doing a lot of testing

.- "Discs are just a download key anyway, the game is not completly on disc" This is a problem plaguing Xbox right now be it due to Smart Delivery support forcing them to have only the Xbox One version on disc or because they just don't care about releasing good physical releases (Halo Infinite, FH5, Flight Sim, all those discs are useless without internet) since most of the Xbox fanbase seems to prefer digital.
Physical releases on Nintendo's and Sony's platform seem to be mostly just fine (you can play and finish without ever needing internet), as proved by the testing done by DoesItPlay community on Twitter. You can check their findings here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KB3dfTKMhudQD9OWVY8p0GRGvWqeblHAjsb8HsarzYU/edit#gid=0

MVG is my go to for information. Everyone getting surprised by these issues need to sub to his channel. You won't be caught off guard. You can make informed purchases.

& shout out to Hikikomori Media for raising awareness for the Cmos battery. He is a large reason the Cbomb issue was fixed for the PS3 and PS4.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Can't we all agree that there was issues for some people and that hopefully this will make MS look at their DRM and make valuable changes.

No need to be outraged and flip the shit etc but it's clear that there were issues for SOME and hopefully it can be fixed for the future.

Can't we all agree that there was issues for some people and that hopefully this will make MS look at their DRM and make valuable changes.

No need to be outraged and flip the shit etc but it's clear that there were issues for SOME and hopefully it can be fixed for the future.
Season 4 No GIF by The Office

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

It seems like these points are ignored by the Thread’s title and just dismissed by people playing the victim / nothing to see here trolls cards.

Top Bottom