• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens - It's True. All of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoJu

That's not what they meant by mess. They weren't talking about the editing from scene to scene. They were talking about the number of ships in the frame, and the varying degrees of ability to discern who was doing what and where. They thought the actual dogfight part of the dogfight was cluttered and incomprehensible.

Which is wrong.

ah ok. that makes sense. well not their reason for thinking the ROTJ dogfight was a mess. that's a bad reason.

NekoFever

I loved how weighty all of the weapons were in this. Blasters looked genuinely painful and brutal, and that shot of the trooper's splintered armor when Finn ran him through with the lightsaber was sweet.

Blasters seemed to hit with real force in this one. I liked it. Chewie's bowcaster in particular.

GhaleonEB

Is Luke confirmed to be back in the next film? I thought this was going to be the hand-off film, from the old cast to the new, but it seemed to set him up for a larger role in the next.

Is Luke confirmed to be back in the next film? I thought this was going to be the hand-off film, from the old cast to the new, but it seemed to set him up for a larger role in the next.

Yes, he's said he's going over to Skellig Michael again soon and was there again briefly a few months ago.

received_775803569230338-jpeg.jpg

pantsmith

He kind of has to be. It wouldn't make sense to include him and not have him do anything, considering his importance as the last Jedi.

Briarios

Have you seen the amazing shape he's in? He's going to have a significant role in the next one.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
They are NOT twins. Irrespective of the actor's age differences, how does Han not know he has a daughter? Assuming he's not there for the birth, Leia keeps it a secret for what reason?

Well, that and the fact that Leia and Han didn't separate untl after Kylo went all Vader on the Jedi academy.. meaning Rey being a Solo is not possible..

She might be a Skywalker.. but even then Han never acted like he knew her at all in any way.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Although like others, the Rey kicking ass thing didn't totally hit home in the believable department.
She didn't kick ass.... Until she finally let the force in and accepted who she was. That was the entire point of Kylo saying "let me teach you the force" and she said "the force?" and then was like "well, I guess there's no denying this now" and then went all SSJ.

To be fair, Finn was pretty damn brave at the end - he was there when Ren stopped the blaster shot mid-flight and knows exactly what a force user can do. He also knows he sucks with the saber, even though he's a great shot with a blaster ... And, yet, he stays; he holds his ground against a force user long enough for Rey to recover. That's a big deal; without him fighting, it's over.

I love it. From Finn's point of view, he hasn't done anything. It's great for drama because it's easy to see where he could lose self-confidence and esteem. But, the reality is, every victory in the movie - Poe's escape, the destruction of Starkiller Base, the defeat of Kyli Ren, is all attributable to his actions. He's a hero that is completely unaware of it -- like some people walking away from the film. However, characters like Poe and Rey see it -- which is why they're so attached to him.

But at the same token everyone thought he was gonna be the main character. I kinda wanted him to be the Jedi.

GhaleonEB

Just one more thing: I really loved Rey's character and the fact they made her the new Jedi.

I'm so appreciative of the fake out between her and Finn. All the marketing made it look like Finn was the one to be force sensitive / go all Jedi at the end, right down to the poster showing him with the saber and Rey with her staff. Then they gradually flip it. Really well done.

Good to hear about Hamil being back. He's in fantastic shape.

pringles

Wait you missed the post-credits scene of Luke tripping off the edge of the cliff? He's a goner.

Cuburt

Yeah, I sort of forgot that after a few minutes.

Another thing I really liked was how dorky Rey and Finn were at times. Also really enjoyed the melee fight between that enhanced Stormtrooper and Finn. He be like: " Come at me, bro."

ixA7oSt.png

PUgQYnF.gif

Absolutely badass.

I don't get why they show this normal suited Stormtrooper with special skills and a specialized weapon like a bad ass, then they have makeshift, captured, (mostly?) untrained Stormtroopers like Finn and flashy but mostly useless Stormtroopers like Phasma.

At least old school stormtroopers were more consistent in their portrayal of being incompetent shots, but competent enough in other areas.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I assume his role in the next movie will be along the lines of Han's film in this one.

Considering he didn't even have a line this film, I would hope he gets to do something eventually.

Fliesen

She didn't kick ass.... Until she finally let the force in and accepted who she was. That was the entire point of Kylo saying "let me teach you the force" and she said "the force?" and then was like "well, I guess there's no denying this now" and then went all SSJ.

one could almost say that was the moment when ... the force awakens ... inside of her.

kingocfs

Right now I think my favorite part of the movie is Finn meeting Rey for the first time, up until they flee in the Falcon. Everything flowed so well there.

That and the Ren vs. Rey/Finn. Kylo pounding on his wound, dude was out of his goddamn mind right there. Loved it.

I go to bed and wake up to people legit arguing about BB-8's arm.

#onlyongaf
#gafexclusive

In other news, BobbyRoberts, I think I like the lost Kenobi angle for Rey over any scenario that directly makes her a Skywalker/Solo. I just don't know how you retcon it without a large amount of hand waving.

But I like it.

Makoto

When Rey was first flying the Falcon, I was on the edge of my seat like, "Goodness, please don't break it. Pull up. Oh no. You're going to break iiiiiittttt."

When Rey was first flying the Falcon, I was on the edge of my seat like, "Goodness, please don't break it. Pull up. Oh no. You're going to break iiiiiittttt."

lol I felt the same way. Turns out Rey is just a jack of all trades. I wouldn't even play checkers with her, it'd be pointless.

GhaleonEB

Wait you missed the post-credits scene of Luke tripping off the edge of the cliff? He's a goner.
Speaking of which, a lot of the crowd stayed through the credits, probably hoping for a post-credit scene. When the Bad Robot logo sequence started, with the dashing back and forth, the audience gasped got excited, thinking there would be one. Then it was just the logo. :lol

I don't get why they show this normal suited Stormtrooper with special skills and a specialized weapon like a bad ass, then they have makeshift, captured, (mostly?) untrained Stormtroopers like Finn and flashy but mostly useless Stormtroopers like Phasma.

At least old school stormtroopers were more consistent in their portrayal of being incompetent shots, but competent enough in other areas.
Someone mentioned earlier that these were Kylo's personal troopers, his elite guard, just the ones who would be doing other missions or on the main station. I went with it.

thenexus6

I kinda wish the film would have ended on Falcon taking off. They could have just showed Luke meditating on the temple, or just not show him at all yet to bring in more suspense.

Have the falcon taking off. Fade in from black.. camera dolly across the mountain to the back of Luke hooded. He turns to the side and removes his hood.. sensing Rey is coming. End credits.

It would've been a massive cock drop, however the ending we got was pretty lame. The Fast and Furious style 360 heli cam spin was bad.

We need more Poe and Finn bromance.

"Bro your alive!"

"So are you bro!"

"Bro! You got my jacket!"

"Yeah bro! Been saving it for you!"

"Keep it bro! Looks good on you!"

"Thanks bro!"

The clone factories were destroyed shortly after the rise of the Empire. So they stopped producing clones relatively soon after RotS. The clones (as a by-product of the advanced aging that allowed them to be grown and prepared for combat so quickly in the Clone Wars) die off quickly and thus the vast majority of the clone armies just died of old age between Sith and Star Wars.

Ah ok. Thanks for the correction and clarification.

People speculated that to be the case but I like the way this is heading so far. Instead of just peacing out the entirety of the whole cast, they'll just be playing smaller more advisory roles to the new cast. I have no qualms with Luke being a battered and tortured old hermit Jedi who refuses to fight and only reluctantly trains Rey and Leia taking the a role somewhat similar to M in the Daniel Craig Bond films. Just kind of there to hand out assignments and chastise the rest of the cast when they screw up. Which I guess is just Leia without a blaster and not forced to wear a metal bikini.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I really hope Rey's character isn't really connected to any of the old main cast. With Kylo Ren is more than enough.
I agree and would love to see all of these "Rey is Luke's daughter" theories obliterated. Rey is an incredible character brought to life BEAUTIFULLY by Ridley. There is no reason to tie that chain around her knock. The history of Star Wars is filled with beings of incredible power with the Force. Let he be yet another one.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I went to see this with a friend on thursday we've been talking about it non stop. I was talking to my GF about the original trilogy and casually told her Han Solo died, she slapped me in the face, then I realized she had not seen it, I almost cried for spoiling that to her, she says she didnt care much about it, still excited to see it with me on sunday.

I still feel like shi though.

That's break up material right there.

Randdalf

I wonder how big a role he'll have, Yoda-ish or actually going on an adventure with Rey, R2 and Chewie?

Fliesen

Speaking of which, a lot of the crowd stayed through the credits, probably hoping for a post-credit scene. When the Bad Robot logo sequence started, with the dashing back and forth, the audience gasped got excited, thinking there would be one. Then it was just the logo. :lol

fuck marvel :p

I mean, i get it, they can do that - because the post credits scene is almost always a tease to another MCU movie. StarWars can't and shouldn't - have all of the movie inside the movie, as someone put it earlier.

GhaleonEB

I wonder how big a role he'll have, Yoda-ish or actually going on an adventure with Rey, R2 and Chewie?
Watch them do an opening training montage and that's it. :p
fuck marvel :p

I mean, i get it, they can do that - because the post credits scene is almost always a tease to another MCU movie. StarWars can't and shouldn't - have all of the movie inside the movie, as someone put it earlier.

Yeah, Marvel totally conditioned them. I was glad there was no scene; I stay through credits of films I like, and so wasn't expecting one. But it was pretty funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom