• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens - It's True. All of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBalfredo

I'm so appreciative of the fake out between her and Finn. All the marketing made it look like Finn was the one to be force sensitive / go all Jedi at the end, right down to the poster showing him with the saber and Rey with her staff. Then they gradually flip it. Really well done.

Good to hear about Hamil being back. He's in fantastic shape.

I do wonder what they plan to do with Finn in the next movies. He clearly wants to become a hero, but he's not a Jedi or gearhead like Rey, nor an ace pilot like Poe. Lots of potential growth, but I wonder what niche he will find for himself.

Hux is hilarious, it doesn't make sense how much of an asshole the guy is. I can't imagine he wasn't relieving himself hands-free when the system was destroyed.

Mr. RHC

I'm so appreciative of the fake out between her and Finn. All the marketing made it look like Finn was the one to be force sensitive / go all Jedi at the end, right down to the poster showing him with the saber and Rey with her staff. Then they gradually flip it. Really well done.

Good to hear about Hamil being back. He's in fantastic shape.

Agreed. Can't wait to see where they take it from here.

Jobbs

Banned
I wonder how big a role he'll have, Yoda-ish or actually going on an adventure with Rey, R2 and Chewie?

Watch them do an opening training montage and that's it. :p

MS7g12Bl.jpg

Fliesen

No. People are confusing her vision at the temple with being a memory. It was just a Force vision of the past. She was not there for it.

yeah, i'm going back and forth.
But it's pretty much the corridor on Bespin that indicates that these are not (all) memories but also Visions of the force.
No way Rey was on Bespin :p

I do wonder what they plan to do with Finn in the next movies. He clearly wants to become a hero, but he's not a Jedi or gearhead like Rey, nor an ace pilot like Poe. Lots of potential growth, but I wonder what niche he will find for himself.

I'm thinking that he'll be an deep operative for the Resistance; he's got a ton of First Order knowledge, plus it would contrast nicely with his whole "we gotta run" bit if he ended up going on the offensive against the FO.

Speaking of which, a lot of the crowd stayed through the credits, probably hoping for a post-credit scene. When the Bad Robot logo sequence started, with the dashing back and forth, the audience gasped got excited, thinking there would be one. Then it was just the logo. :lol

Someone mentioned earlier that these were Kylo's personal troopers, his elite guard, just the ones who would be doing other missions or on the main station. I went with it.

the Bad Robot logo was so out of place

ryan299

Luke joined Obi and Yoda as Jedi's who run and hide instead of helping during bad times. I really don't like what they did with Luke.

Exactly, it was very smartly done by JJ and his team, it was the favorite part of the movie for me, when she finally grabs the saber with the force I was like:"FUCK YEAH!"

Well, that and the fact that Leia and Han didn't separate untl after Kylo went all Vader on the Jedi academy.. meaning Rey being a Solo is not possible..

She might be a Skywalker.. but even then Han never acted like he knew her at all in any way.

I disagree. Han seems like he knows who she is. This is most obvious when he offers to take her on to the crew. There's also the moment when Maz asks Han who she is but only does so after Rey leaves earshot. The next scene Maz is in is just after Rey's saber-induced vision and Maz already knows that Rey is force sensitive and that it's the saber that she was reacting to. There's absolutely zero surprised shown from Maz when that happens and considering Luke is supposed to be the last Jedi, Maz should be surprised that there's someone else who is Force Sensitive. Then there's the ease with which Leia accepts Rey into her arms. There's a recognition there as well.

Luke joined Obi and Yoda as Jedi's who run and hide instead of helping during bad times. I really don't like what they did with Luke.

How would you feel if you were put in charge of training your best friend and sister's son, and he turns to the dark side and kills or turns all of your apprentices?

Xun

I finally saw the film.

Wow.

I sadly knew about Han due to an idiot online, but I was still hit hard by his death.

A part of me wanted to shout during that bit. :(

pringles

lol I felt the same way. Turns out Rey is just a jack of all trades. I wouldn't even play checkers with her, it'd be pointless.
I love how competent she is. Most people probably expected Finn to come to the rescue on Jakku when those thugs confront her. Then she just knocks them out, rejects Finn's hand, takes the explosion better than Finn, and flies the Falcon like a pro. She doesn't even need a rescue party on Starkiller base, she handled it on her own. Like a boss.
Luke in comparison in ANH is a whiny brat that would have lasted about 2 seconds if not for Obi-wan and Han helping out.

Fliesen

Holy shit. With this and Rian Johnson...Episode VIII is going to be incredible. The MGS2 of movies.

to be perfectly fair, ANH and TFA follows the hero's journey almost step by step.
So ANH kinda was a "hero" simulation already.

He knew of "a girl," there has to be some history there. It seemed like Snoke did too.

the droid stole a ship? - no he had help by FN.2187 and a girl

that's the "a girl" he's refering to.

I love how competent she is. Most people probably expected Finn to come to the rescue on Jakku when those thugs confront her. Then she just knocks them out, rejects Finn's hand, takes the explosion better than Finn, and flies the Falcon like a pro. She doesn't even need a rescue party on Starkiller base, she handled it on her own. Like a boss.
Luke in comparison in ANH is a whiny brat that would have lasted about 2 seconds if not for Obi-wan and Han helping out.

well, to be fair, Luke did a decent job swinging across that gap with his grappling hook.

Rey being the one to wield the force and possibly become a Jedi wasn't much of a surprise since they spoil it right when the lightsaber was calling to her. It was at that moment when she was having her hallucination where I knew Finn wasn't going to be the chosen one.

This scene brought the house down. I couldn't hear like, the next 20 seconds of the movie.

Advantage of watching this in Japan, the audience was dead silent for the whole film even with a full theater.

Disadvantage, the damn subtitles. Subtitles are a scene ruiner. Especially in dark scenes because they are so bright in a theater setting.

Lol at folks who expected a total passing of the torch, with a clear line of demarcation between old and new.

That would have been just about the dumbest scenario possible. It was always going to be a blend, just like in the PT and OT.

dmshaposv

I kinda wish the film would have ended on Falcon taking off. They could have just showed Luke meditating on the temple, or just not show him at all yet to bring in more suspense.

I see where you are coming from, but not sering hamill wouldve made me angry as hell.

I actually like the movie 'rewarding' you by showing you luke at the end in all his old glory. Rounds up the old cast and didnt give blue balls but set things up.

He knew of "a girl," there has to be some history there. It seemed like Snoke did too.
They way Ren reacted to his dude saying they "were with a girl" makes it seem obvious Kylo knows who she is and is not happy about it. I wonder if him being jealous of her abilities when they were younger has to do with his going dark.. was Rey too young to remember or did she have a memory wipe or something?

The casting director couldn't get an actor that looked remotely like Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher?
I was finding it hard to believe Kylo Ren was Han's and Leia's son, but that's just my picky side.

Rey being the one to wield the force and possibly become a Jedi wasn't much of a surprise since they spoil it right when the lightsaber was calling to her. It was at that moment when she was having her hallucination where I knew Finn wasn't going to be the chosen one.

I didnt watch any of the trailers except the very first one. So I had zero expectation Finn would be a jedi. I didnt even know he was a stomtrooper till I saw the movie. I went in totally blind.

There was implied history between Ren and Rey right?

No. People are confusing her vision at the temple with being a memory. It was just a Force vision of the past. She was not there for it.

It could go either way actually.

That's one of the things I like so much about this film than how the PT was handled. Everything in the PT was stated so obviously by the characters. There was no nuance and very little ambiguity. There was nothing left to interpretation to be paid off later.

TFA on the other hand has quite a bit of mystery throughout simply by using implication, character expression, and character action rather than having everyone dialogue to each other about how they're feeling or why they're doing what they're doing.

Maybe it's a Force Vision of the past.. or maybe it's a memory mixed in with the Force Vision of the past.. or mixed in with a Force Vision of the future. It's hard to say. Then there Kylo pulling out the info about an Island in an Ocean. Did Rey have, somewhere in her mind, a memory about Luke's hidden location? Or was Kylo somehow pulling out an image from Rey that came from a Force Vision of the future that we as an audience didn't see? There's no way to know unless the next movies reveal it and that just makes me want to see those movies even moreso. I want those questions answered.

Sapiens

I need to learn to land Zangief's air SPD not on accident. Do you have to complete the 360 motion in the air or can you do a 360 ending in up/up forward and have it come out?

Did I miss the sweet Street Fighter references in TFA? I didn't know JJ was a fan...

Briarios

You should probably wait until we get the whole story ... You can't just assume all the info we've been given is reliable. Remember, we were told Luke's father was dead, too.

Advantage of watching this in Japan, the audience was dead silent for the whole film even with a full theater.

Disadvantage, the damn subtitles. Subtitles are a scene ruiner. Especially in dark scenes because they are so bright in a theater setting.
That's not an advantage. Watching with the crowd reactions was fucking awesome.

pringles

Why? She can already do advanced techniques like Jedi meditation, force pulls, Jedi mind tricks, see the future. Luke was starting from scratch.
Luke was also a terrible student. "This is impossible!" "I can't do this!" "I'll try". Then he leaves his training in order to walk into a trap.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
But Han said Luke went looking for the first Jedi temple? So it rather seemed that he was searching for answers

Well, fuck me right in the ass. My fucking friend spoiled the movie for me. He is in US, in our country movie is gonna release only in January. We were just talking on Skype and I asked him, how was the movie, since he is a huge Star Wars fan. I like Star Wars as well, I am a fan, but not as big as him. We are talking about dude who even collects Star Wars Lego sets. So he talks in general about movie and then drops the bomb that main villain is
Han Solo son
out of nowhere and without a warning, I was very upset with him. He then said he was joking and that he was trolling me.

Is this Mofo trying to save face? I am really shell shocked how he could do this, when he is a bigger Star Wars fan than me. He even skipped winter holidays and stayed in the US just to see the movie.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
BB8 doesn't trust Finn at that point and uses his lighter to give him notice of what'll happen if he screws them over. I think it being an implied "fuck you" and a threat is what really makes it funny.

Its a thumbs up.....it can't be more clear than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom