• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens - It's True. All of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fliesen

Why? She can already do advanced techniques like Jedi meditation, force pulls, Jedi mind tricks, see the future. Luke was starting from scratch.

Luke could already do a force pull (Wampa cave) pre-dagobah. Also he used his Jedi senses to perfectly time those proton torpedoes.
He didn't start that far behind Rey, to be fair.

Did it explain why Poe left Jakku without BB8. I mean he knew how important it was and he just left without it?
The movie never explained it. I was confused to.
I didnt watch any of the trailers except the very first one. So I had zero expectation Finn would be a jedi. I didnt even know he was a stomtrooper till I saw the movie. I went in totally blind.

JJ's marketing had no hold over you. That's impressive. I should have learned from Into Darkness.

Zeliard

I can't tell if people are seriously arguing that the BB-8 lighter wasn't a thumbs up or you all just ran out of stuff to talk about. :p

Saw it a third time. The biggest things that still bug me is the ability to see the planets destroyed from where the hell they were when visiting Maz and Carrie Fishers's freaking smoke-filled voice. It's quite obvious she's been an awful smoker and it ruins her performance.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Luke could already do a force pull (Wampa cave) pre-dagobah. Also he used his Jedi senses to perfectly time those proton torpedoes.
He didn't start that far behind Rey, to be fair.
Also Rey used her abilities during times of intense stress and fear for her own life. If she could do this again during practice was not answered

jelly

I love how competent she is. Most people probably expected Finn to come to the rescue on Jakku when those thugs confront her. Then she just knocks them out, rejects Finn's hand, takes the explosion better than Finn, and flies the Falcon like a pro. She doesn't even need a rescue party on Starkiller base, she handled it on her own. Like a boss.
Luke in comparison in ANH is a whiny brat that would have lasted about 2 seconds if not for Obi-wan and Han helping out.

Yeah, I loved how resourceful self reliant she was. Han sees she has escaped, it was a yep, just another she can handle herself moment. I thought Daisy acted out the part perfectly, everyone did actually. No bad acting in this for me.

Loved the scene when she needed a tool to fix the Falcon and Finn has no idea which one. Funny.

Luke was also a terrible student. "This is impossible!" "I can't do this!" "I'll try". Then he leaves his training in order to walk into a trap.

Luke starting as an inexperienced brat and slowly becoming a awesome Jedi, was very cool.

Is nice to see Rey being so kickass for starters, but the jump she's gonna made won't be as pronuncied, because she is basically a Jedi at this point.

JJDubz

I get that it's hard to make cg characters look real, but every time a cg character was on screen it completely took me out of the film. Really wish that animatronics and physical makeup were used instead. I'd like to know why Snoke, a very human design, is built by CG instead of physical creation.

It was definitely a JJ Abrams joint. No sense of wonder and the film could've used an extra hour+ so everything doesn't seem so rushed. Finn went from stormtrooper to being a key member destroying the new death star in a quick minute. I'm sure they'll explain this away with 'oh he's in tune with the force', as with all Star Wars writing problems. That explanation is fine, but loses meaning when you throw it around willy-nilly

When I can glance at the platform at the beginning of the Han & Ren sequence and immediately know what is going to happen, and then you use idiotic dialogue like "I know what I have to do, but I'm not sure I'm strong enough to do it", how exactly are you not going to know that Han is dead? The characters having a front-row seat, too. All of the plot was telegraphed, nothing was surprising.

The Guardian's of the Galaxy influence ruined any tension, too. I don't like Finn cheering on the work of a pilot in the middle of a warzone. A good green character doesn't even notice what's happening in the sky when there is fire all around them and they're in danger. This dude was in shock seeing his first combat action, now he's suddenly stoically joking around on the battlefield. A lot of the humor (even though it was fairly funny) stopped all of the dread. Han & Chewy, yeah, they've been in enough shit to be able to joke about it. Rey was entirely believable, though. She was in some shit and she acted like she was in some shit.

When Abrams's last two films are glorified remakes, and he is still applauded for them, it may just be that modern blockbusters have, finally, completely lost me.

That said, Finn is the best lead Star Wars has ever had and every time he wasn't in a scene, I wanted to be in that scene.

Edit: I may be looking at the film to much as a film, and not enough as a Star Wars film.

Blader

The #1 moment of the movie for me was Rey force pulling the lightsaber out of the snow and flicking it on. That the rest of the fight was so brutally good was icing on the cake.

soxxx

Banned
And my belief is that in the next move, likely near the end, when Kylo's training is "complete", we will see him put the Vader helmet on. You know Disney would love nothing more than to have that Helmet in marketing etc.

I believe when he puts it on we will see some flashback moments similar to how we saw Rey have the flashback when she touched the lightsaber, Hayden Christansen (Anakin) will make an appearance in the new movie and I believe that is when we will see him appear, in the flashback, when Kylo "graduates" and snoke tells him to throw it on.

shingi70

Banned
I know all the old EU books are non-canon now, but is there anything out or coming out book-wise considered official storyline? I'd like to read some to satisfy my SW cravings right now.

Current cannon is

TV shows
The Clone Wars (3D)
Rebels

Books
New Dawn
Heir to the Jedi
Tarkin
Lords of the Sith
Servants of the Empire edge of the galaxy
Servants of the Empire rebel in the ransk
Servants of the Empire imperal Justice
Servants of the Empire the Secert academy
Dark Disciple
Weapon of a Jedi.
Smugglers run
Moving target
Lost Stars
AFtermath
Battlefront Twilight Company
Before the Awakening

Short stories
The perfect Weapon
High noon on Jakku
Crimson Cosair and the lost treasure of count dooku
Faces of evil
All creatures great and small
Mercy mission
Bottleneck
Levers of Powers
Blade Squadren

Comics
Star Wars
Star Wars Darth Vadar
Kanan (ends at 12)
Princess Leia
Lando
Shattered Empire
Chewbacca

Upcoming canon itmea
New Republic: Bloodlines
Obi-Wan and Anikan
Adventures in Wild space the snare
Aftermath: Life Debt
Aftermath: Empires end

Fliesen

That's not an advantage. Watching with the crowd reactions was fucking awesome.

aye, the first time around, i prefer the experience of other enthusiasts.
Additional viewings, i prefer a more silent audience.

Thankfully, in german speaking countries you can filter out the big 'low brow' crowd (not being classist here!) somewhat by just watching the non-dubbed english version.

Gandie

Just saw it, loved it. Stands up to Jedi at least, maybe even to SW.

Only thing that bugged me was R2's energy saving mode. Weak way to tye everything together in the end.

Ew gross fuck no kill it with FIRE. Ford's expressions were plenty as well as the conversations with Leia. More than that would have felt like a Lifetime family drama. Nah the actors sold that enough IMO. I know what you're trying to say and it was a quick example, but I'm glad it wasn't overdone.

I dunno. On one hand, for me, Ford and Fisher's scenes worked mostly because of all the backstory and nostalgia, not for their acting chops. Max Von Sydow's acting in the intro was really good and felt natural while Fisher and Ford's felt forced and awkward a bit. At least for me though.

I saw Ford instead of Solo about 50-60% of the time but when it worked it was pretty magical.

I felt a really well-directed and performed dramatic scene free of any sci-fi or adventure, something really low-key, like the Rey/Kanata scene, was needed for the Solo ending scene to make it really shine.

I get your reaction, but a good director like JJ could've done something that felt genuine instead of a cheesy soap-opera drama scene.

Well, fuck me right in the ass. My fucking friend spoiled the movie for me. He is in US, in our country movie is gonna release only in January. We were just talking on Skype and I asked him, how was the movie, since he is a huge Star Wars fan. I like Star Wars as well, I am a fan, but not as big as him. We are talking about dude who even collects Star Wars Lego sets. So he talks in general about movie and then drops the bomb that main villain is
Han Solo son
out of nowhere and without a warning, I was very upset with him. He then said he was joking and that he was trolling me.

Is this Mofo trying to save face? I am really shell shocked how he could do this, when he is a bigger Star Wars fan than me. He even skipped winter holidays and stayed in the US just to see the movie.

Coming into this thread is about the dumbest thing you can do if you want to avoid spoilers.

Yep lol

Not sure why people can't share thoughts on something without giving shit away.

I liked The Sixth Sense a lot.

Thank you, I am gonna rip him a new asshole next time I see him. He knew that I really wanted to see the movie.

Fuck me and fuck China movie commision for delaying movie into January. I was fucking avoiding anything movie related completely, I didn't even read YouTube comments to random videos since people were spoilering there. And then I got backstabbed by fucking friend, who is no less huge Star Wars fan.

Coming into this thread is about the dumbest thing you can do if you want to avoid spoilers.

Don't read any posts unless I see someone quting me. Easy to skip through them and scroll to check if anyone replied. Anyway, I am off. And I don't think anything is more significant than identity of "main villain" which already was spoiled for me.

I can appreciate the strong desire to see Rey not be a Skywalker, but between the plot points this movie shares with the OT, the fact that Luke's lightsaber makes her remember being abandoned on Jakku, the way she is force sensitive and that is brought out in a mind game fight with a Skywalker, and the conversation with Maz, it just hardly even seems likely to be otherwise. I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't related, I'm just saying this movie's implications are hardly even vague.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
aye, the first time around, i prefer the experience of other enthusiasts.
Additional viewings, i prefer a more silent audience.

Thankfully, in german speaking countries you can filter out the big 'low brow' crowd (not being classist here!) somewhat by just watching the non-dubbed english version.
That's what my fiancée and I did by watching it in English ^^""".. So don't feel bad about it >..,>

I get your reaction, but a good director like JJ could've done something that felt genuine instead of a cheesy soap-opera drama scene.

Totally, but Sydow is a way better actor than Fisher and Ford in general. But even good directors can fudge things up if they go too far. To me the script and actors told me all I needed to know between the gaps.

tbh I don't even know why they cast Sydow for that. At least it was a really good "here's the map" role?

BY2K

Membero Americo
The scene that still gives me the most chills / goosebumps / hype is when Finn ignites the saber to fight off Kylo. That scene alone makes me want them to have Finn be Force Sensitive.

He might still be, but he doesn't know it.

I mean, he handheld that lightsaber pretty well for a his second fight against a trained user.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
That was an awesome introduction. Loved it when the camera finally focused on the 'garbage'.

The moment the other ship got blown up I knew what they were about the pan to. Was so awesome. I think my theater cheered harder for that than the reveal of Han or Luke.

He knew of "a girl," there has to be some history there. It seemed like Snoke did too.

Rey could simply be the 'one that got away.' In the vision Rey has, she sees Kylo coming towards her in the rain. I'm wondering if that was actually a flashback to her witnissing the shit that went down at the new Jedi Temple and she was next on the list of padawans to be killed with maybe Luke jumping in to save her and then hide her away.

Kylo want's to finish what Vader started, which to me means the extermination of the Jedi.

KorrZ

Loved the movie but did it bother anyone else how easily Kylo Ren got his ass beat by Finn and Rey?

I mean they're obviously setting up that Rey is a powerful force user but she's still totally untrained, especially with a lightsaber. Yet her and Finn are someone able to hold their own in a lightsaber duel against someone who was trained by Luke? That kind of bothered me a bit. I guess you could say it was him just being too arrogant (like Anakin) but it still seems a bit far fetched.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
The moment the other ship got blown up I knew what they were about the pan to. Was so awesome. I think my theater cheered harder for that than the reveal of Han or Luke.

Did anyone else's theater collectively go IT'S A TRAP as soon as Ackbar appeared?

Tunahead

So is Rey to be Ben's brother?
Twins run in the sky walker family.

They should totally have as many elements from the Expanded Universe as possible. Han & Leia's twin children should slaughter each other. Snopes should be a clone of the Emperor. Luke should turn evil, and immediately clone himself, because that's what you do when you're evil. All the Moffs should go around on their Moffship holding Mofferences. Boba Fett should be alive and training Rey in the highly secret killing art that uniquely only Boba Fett in all the universe knows, called "a feint". There should be Force immune space vampires! And of course, the Zerg. And they should reveal that Han & Leia had a third child and then he should be killed off as well. Luke should die alone and miserable, and his grandson should become a heroin addict.

Just saw the movie and I have a question.

What are the chances of Rey
being Luke's daughter?

Why would Luke abandon his daughter on a desertic, hostile planet totally alone? Wouldn't be she safer with one of the most powerful Jedi's ever instead of being surrounded by scoundrels, slavers and whatever shit is in that planet?

That's some Goku's level of fathersip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom