• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Botw runs at 60 fps on overclocked Switch Oled

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll

This is insane. It doesn't work on V1 version. If obtaining twice the performance through overclocking is possible, I wonder if they could also offer users a middle-ground performance mode that at least provides 45 fps but consumes more battery. I'm curious whether they chose not to implement it due to potential long-term stability issues or if it's because they are Nintendo.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
How long does it take for the Switch to catch fire? I'll watch later but I don't have time at the moment to find the answer myself.
Switch normally runs at 41-46 celsius while playing Botw--link.
In this test, it runs at 50-60 celsius(generally at 48?). He says he played it for one hour without any crashes, and there was still 30% battery left afterward.
Don't you know that any game on Switch can run at twice the framerate and higher resolution? Memory bandwidth is main bottleneck.
I didn't know. This guy overclocked the memory frequency as well. He says CPU overclocking doesn't help that much. GPU and memory overclocking do the job.

Last edited:
Switch normally runs at 41-46 celsius while playing Botw--link.
In this test, it runs at 50-60 celsius(generally at 48?). He says he played it for one hour without any crashes, and there was still 30% battery left afterward.

I didn't know. This guy overclocked the memory frequency as well. He says CPU overclocking doesn't help that much. GPU and memory overclocking do the job.
Yeah. The Mariko hardware IS the rumored Switch Pro but instead of increasing GPU/CPU power Nintendo just extends it's battery life. It's super-undervolted and underclocked. With some tuning you can have 2x Switch performance at the same power consumption.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
30 fps ought to be enough for anybody

Wicked Tuna Fishing GIF by National Geographic Channel

Dorfdad

Gold Member
so slap in a new battery / upgrade the chip with a slight upgrade over the current and replace the memory to faster spec and add 4 gigs. All in all cost them about 45.00 per unit if bought in bulk. Slap a new shell on it and charge 400.00 for it. Profit margin of 125% per unit and than update games with patches to for 60fps and charge customers 59.99 again for remakes.

Switch 2 has arrived..

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Bodes well for Switch 2, hopefully won't need Nintendont loader this time to make Switch games take advantage of 2's specs (even if it's an unoptimized way less efficient from properly paching the game and what not).

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
So if you overclock a device's CPU and memory you get more performance, wonder if that would work on a PC?

Someone should give it a try and report their findings on twitter.

Your username reminds me of this

My favorite anime series back in the 90's when I still cared about that stuff. And indeed the source of my username.

Still love the classic movies though, just haven't watched them for 25-30 years or so.

Moses85

Bodes well for Switch 2, hopefully won't need Nintendont loader this time to make Switch games take advantage of 2's specs (even if it's an unoptimized way less efficient from properly paching the game and what not).

Yeah, the Wii was a overclocked GameCube

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Hopefully this means the Super Switch will automatically be able to double frame rates without needing developer intervention. Do that and include physical BC and I'll preorder a machine.

Filben

I'd rather take a higher resolution and/or better AA (in docked mode), though I know that's not really possible with overclocking. Still, I think the visual main issue with Switch games is the horrendous flickering and jagged egdes.

For handheld mode, though, this is awesome.

Woopah

Hopefully this means the Super Switch will automatically be able to double frame rates without needing developer intervention. Do that and include physical BC and I'll preorder a machine.
It will depend on whether the developers locked the framerate I think.

Top Bottom