• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite plot twists

AniHawk

Knights of the Old Republic -
You are Revan. Found this really cool, and unlike anything I'd seen in a video game before. Even though it gave you clues along the way, I didn't really take notice of them. The way it was revealed by showing all the different clues in a flashback was great too.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker -
Not sure if this is really a plot twist, but the part where Ganondorf actually completes the Triforce. Took me by surprise, because in every game, the fight begins before there's actually a chance for Ganon to do that, or he did it at the beginning of the game. Also was surprised that instead of restoring Hyrule, Daphnes drowned it.

Terranigma -
Ark rebuilds/saves the world... and dies*. Sad, yet also well done. I think that's the only game I've played where the main hero dies at the end.

* = can be interpreted in another way.

Metroid Zero Mission. Umm. nothing needs to be said. Convulses in Delight. (okay not so much plot twist)

ps Umm its MGS. How many people don't know? Its like a 90's classic. That's like saying.. ummm. That chick in Pink dies in FFVII

AniHawk

TheGreenGiant said:
Metroid Zero Mission. Umm. nothing needs to be said. Convulses in Delight. (okay not so much plot twist)

ps Umm its MGS. How many people don't know? Its like a 90's classic. That's like saying.. ummm. That chick in Pink dies in FFVII

Oh, there are people who don't know. A few here including myself hadn't played MGS until this year. Just to be safe, I'd put things in spoilers.

RiZ III

Panzer Dragoon Saga -
One of the greatest twists/endings in a game. Pure genius

Edit: FFX:
Tidus being a dream and all.

cvxfreak

Resident Evil CODE: Veronica
When Wesker reveals he was the attacker of Rockfort Island.

Silent Hill 2
When we find out James killed Mary.

Silent Hill 3
When we find out Heather is Cheryl and her dad is murdered.

Resident Evil Zero
When we find out Billy's story.

Hell, I'll even add:

Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
We find out the RBY hero is the final rival battle

Gribbix

Soul Reaver 2 -
Sarafan Raziel and his "brothers" were killed by the soul reaving Raziel of the future. I'd also say Raziel being the spirit within the Soul Reaver itself if it weren't for the fact that many others, including myself, had that figured out back in the original Soul Reaver.

BeOnEdge

Banned
the end of shenmue 2 where
everything gets all magical and mythical.
i was all WTF??? came outta nowhere! i WAS NOT expecting that!!!! part 3 NEEDS to come out!

Trevelyon

Lunar II:
The whole tower of Althina thing, with Lucia actually being sent to destroy Lunar and then Ghaleon who is actually on their side, dying and giving his sword to Hiro.

Silent Hill 2:
James killing Mary and then actually seeing him do it. Along with the whole situation with Angela and how it all ends. How her whole story ends is really sad.

RiZ III

Regarding Shenmue 2,
I was kind of expecting for it to take a turn for the wierd sooner or later because of the very first trailer they released for it. They showed Shenhua doing some crazy stuff. Plus in Shenmue 1 they mention something about dragons coming and all if the two mirrors unite. Ofcourse that could just be allegorical but that trailer had me thinking. Also, theres a reason those mirrors were so important. When the game finally took the turn for the wierd I was like ah fuck, its probably going to end right here and Ill never find out what happens. I just hope they reveal the rest of the story in some format or another. Even if its a movie format like the Shenmue 1 movie.

jiggle

I wish I can recall the plot twist in Legend of Dragoon.
Something to do with the raven haired girl and the hero's dad...
I remember really liking it at the time, and thought it was the only redeeming part of the game.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Snake,
You must not have been very good at Silent Hill 2.

The plot twist in Legend of Dragoon is great! (NOTE: the plot is totally stupid so you should read this even if you haven't played it.)

It turns out that Shana or whatever her stupid face is going to be the body which the evil demon king reborn takes over blah blah. So Rose is this deadly assassin trained from birth to kill the hell out of her and stop this from happening. Every last character in that entire game is fucking worthless and beyond redemption except for Rose, so the fact that she wanted to kill that stupid whore just made me like her even more. Of course, your party is all whiny and "oh, no, we can't let Shana die even if it'll mean saving the lives of literally every last person on the planet, we just can't do it! SHE'S CUTE!" So while they're whining, of course, the Demon King takes over Shana and OOPS! Way 2 go. God I hate every character in that game more than words can describe.

Also: Rose has a menstruation attack (that was cut from the U.S. version). Best. Character. Ever.

AniHawk

RiZ III said:
Regarding Shenmue 2,
I was kind of expecting for it to take a turn for the wierd sooner or later because of the very first trailer they released for it. They showed Shenhua doing some crazy stuff. Plus in Shenmue 1 they mention something about dragons coming and all if the two mirrors unite. Ofcourse that could just be allegorical but that trailer had me thinking. Also, theres a reason those mirrors were so important. When the game finally took the turn for the wierd I was like ah fuck, its probably going to end right here and Ill never find out what happens. I just hope they reveal the rest of the story in some format or another. Even if its a movie format like the Shenmue 1 movie.

I'd like to see Shenmue III somehow too. The world is all realistic and everything until THE SWORD STARTS FLOATING IN MIDAIR. It was 8 in the morning, and I had been up all night, playing it for about 16 hours when I saw that. Woke me right up.

tenchir

JackFrost2012 said:
The plot twist in Legend of Dragoon is great! (NOTE: the plot is totally stupid so you should read this even if you haven't played it.)

It turns out that Shana or whatever her stupid face is going to be the body which the evil demon king reborn takes over blah blah. So Rose is this deadly assassin trained from birth to kill the hell out of her and stop this from happening. Every last character in that entire game is fucking worthless and beyond redemption except for Rose, so the fact that she wanted to kill that stupid whore just made me like her even more. Of course, your party is all whiny and "oh, no, we can't let Shana die even if it'll mean saving the lives of literally every last person on the planet, we just can't do it! SHE'S CUTE!" So while they're whining, of course, the Demon King takes over Shana and OOPS! Way 2 go. God I hate every character in that game more than words can describe.

Also: Rose has a menstruation attack (that was cut from the U.S. version). Best. Character. Ever.

So the problem of the plot to you is that you think the ends should justify the means?

tenchir said:
So the problem of the plot to you is that you think the ends should justify the means?

No, the problem with the plot to me was that it was generic, hackneyed, Power Rangers anime-fun-hour SHIT that went on and on and on and on and was boring and generic and had absolutely NO REDEEMING QUALITIES WHATSOEVER. The characters so clueless I literally thought they had to be mentally retarded and the English localization by people who I sure hope were mentally retarded didn't help, either. So would I have rather seen an interesting, strong plot twist than more "love will find a way" bullshit? YES.

Legend of Dragoon is by far the worst RPG on the PSX. Yes, worse than Beyond the Beyond. I hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it.

JackFrost2012 said:
Legend of Dragoon is by far the worst RPG on the PSX. Yes, worse than Beyond the Beyond. I hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it.

box-usfront.jpg

AniHawk

JackFrost2012 said:
No, the problem with the plot to me was that it was generic, hackneyed, Power Rangers anime-fun-hour SHIT that went on and on and on and on and was boring and generic and had absolutely NO REDEEMING QUALITIES WHATSOEVER. The characters so clueless I literally thought they had to be mentally retarded and the English localization by people who I sure hope were mentally retarded didn't help, either. So would I have rather seen an interesting, strong plot twist than more "love will find a way" bullshit? YES.

Tell us how you really feel.

FFIX:
When Dagger loses her voice and you're forced to play with her silenced. I didn't really enjoy the moment but I found it humorous.

Mario and Luigi:
The moment where Bowser is posessed by Cackletta to create, Bowletta. A hilarious moment since she looks much like Bowser in drag. Also, while not really a twist, I loved having to beat all the Koopa Kids before finally reaching Bowletta. Fun moments.

Super Mario Sunshine:
Finding out that Shadow Mario is actually Bowser Jr. I was really expecting it to turn to be Luigi in disguise, but as glad that we got a new character. :p

SolidSnakex said:

SHADOW MADNESS IS BETTER THAN LEGEND OF DRAGOON!

Shadow Madness has good writing, a good soundtrack, and some interesting ideas marred by atrocious graphics and bad execution. It also has some good, original characters with funny dialogue. It has major interface issues, sure but so does Legend of Dragoon.

Shadow Madness DOESN'T have a totally boring battle system marred by endless button-pressing combos. It DOESN'T require you to backtrack through old dungeons to visit previously visited areas. It DOESN'T have shittily laid out towns with 24 identical doors on the same screen.

I would MUCH, MUCH rather play through Shadow Madness than Legend of Dragoon. Shadow Madness is a noble failure whose reach exceeded its grasp. Legend of Dragoon is bad, derivative shit.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Winback -
Oh man, when you find out Dan Stewart is the traitor and brother of Kenneth Coleman, the leader of a terrorist group called the Crying Lions in Winback I was shocked and appauled.

"I had a feeling you'd make it, Jean-Luc."

jiggle

Oh right, I remember faintly about Rose's part now. But what about
the hero's father? Wasn't there some revelation about him also?

jiggle said:
Oh right, I remember faintly about Rose's part now. But what about
the hero's father? Wasn't there some revelation about him also?

I think he was the Evil Emperor who combined with the Demon King before taking over Shana's body. It was all VERY complicated and VERY stupid. But "omg your dads is the villain what!!" is the sort of non-interesting twist LoD thrived on.

Fallout:
After going through hell and back, getting your Vault leaders' their desperately-needed water chip, and saving the world in the process, you come home only to be kicked out of the Vault by the very people who sent you on your adventure.

Fallout 2:
Early in the game, you find that there were apparently hundreds of water chips somewhere inside the main character's Vault of the first game...

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic:
You are Darth Revan.

KotOR -
The Jedi Council captured Lord Revan and using the force, erased his memories and implanted new ones creating the character you play as. It was nicely done and I loved how they replayed the various clues you were given through out the game right after the revelation.

System Shock 2 -
The chief engineer of the Vaun Braun that had been helping you through the game was actually SHODAN. Moreover, SHODAN was the one that put the work order for your hacking implants.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Planescape Torment: Way too many to list, but finding out who you really are was a huge one, not to mention how each of the characters in your party relate to you in some way.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
FFVII:
The actual irrevocable death of a major character - surprising and irritating in equal parts (irritating if you'd made her your main healer, that is...)

KOTOR:
Okay, it was pretty clearly signposted from the beginning (and I'm ashamed at how long it took me to work out) but it was very neatly done.

ESPN NFL 2K4:
The 49ers win? I wasn't expecting that one...

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
AniHawk said:
Terranigma -
Ark rebuilds/saves the world... and dies*. Sad, yet also well done. I think that's the only game I've played where the main hero dies at the end.

I'm sure there are others. Lufia II?

u_neek

JackFrost2012 said:

Haha..EEEEEW

slayn

needs to show more effort.
FF6:
fighting to save the world only to have kefka destroy it. And afterward when Celes is all alone, she tries to kill herself. The whole transition to the world of Ruin had me going O_O

edit:
So many good scenes in Chrono Trigger too.
Chrono dying mid game. I mean having the main character die in the middle of the game? Especially since he was truly the main character in that you had to use him in your party at all times. Also Prophet->Magus was pretty awesome.

jett

D-Member
MGS:
Master being Liquid, foxdie, Snake's real purpose, the whole motherfuckin thing

Xenogears:
The "planet" only being 10000 years old, every human is actually an alien, the whole fei and elly thing reencarnation thing, blah blah blah

FF4:
Kain constantly switching sides when you least expect it. Best. Character. EVAR!!1

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time:
The whole ending was excellent. Farah was actually the one that was listening to the Prince's story. That twist was freaking great.

belgurdo

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:

No they didn't. It's like the first spell she gets (Astral Drain or whatever.)

Personal Favorites:

Tales of Phatastia-
Dhaos is an alien and came to the planet to find a curative solution for his own dying world, and is only attacking humans because they fought him first

Final Fantasy X:
Tidus is a mental construct of the minds of the dead at Zanarkand, and Auron is an unsent (although the game gives it away subtly halfway through the game), as well as the entire governing council of Yevon

Sonic Adventure 2:
Sonic can use Chaos Control. A lot of people speculate that he may have been created instead of born too just like Shadow

Gaspode

Discworld Noir:
When Lewton turns into a werewolf.

Monkey Island 2:
LeChuck is Guybrush' brother and everything was a fantasy... wait, no! He's evil!

Gabriel Knight 3:
Thanks to this game, The Da Vinci Code was a boring book. I already knew almost everything. But that twist at the end with the body of Jesus and the origin of the Schattenjäger... That was good.

Undisputed champ in my books:

Final Fantasy Tactics:
In Shakespeare-esque tradition...

Delita, truely believing the ends justify the means, is now king. The princess he "saved" is his wife. She can't bear the guilt any more, stabs him in the chest (in the ruins of a church!!), so he stabs back. Delita spends his last moments wondering if his philosophy was really the right one after all.

Bonus points go to Shadow of Destiny, in which every one of the six endings is a major plot twist that effects how you perceive the next playthrough.

Kinda old games but I'll put spoiler tags anyway...

Chrono Trigger -
When Chrono Dies
FInal Fantsy 4 -
Palom and Porom turn themselves to stone to save you. Cain comes back to kick your ass. and a bunch of other things that were interesting when FF2 US came out but have become so common place in FF that it would be suprise if these plot points WEREN'T in a FF game

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Final Fantasy 4:Golbez is Cecils brother

Terranigma: Elder and that pink thingy guide were evil

Lufia: Lufia was Erim (though i did see it coming)

Top Bottom