• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite new / original game from 2023?

Favorite original game from 2023?

• Lies of P

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Hi-Fi Rush

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • Starfield

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • Dave the Diver

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Goodbye Volcano High

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Sea of Stars

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Other - tell us in the thread

Votes: 16 17.6%

• Total voters

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Let's face it, this year has been absolutely fantastic for games in existing franchises. Remakes, remasters, sequels, and spin offs have absolutely dominated most of the year's "Game of the Year" lists. This year has brought us new games from our favorite franchises: Hogwarts (Harry Potter), Sonic, Pikmin, Diablo, Armored Core, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Spider-Man, Baldur's Gate, Mario, Zelda, Star Wars, and Alan Wake. It's given us awesome remasters like Star Ocean 2, Resident Evil, Dead Space, and more.

But - what were your favorite games from 2023 that had new / original IPs?

geary

Wild Hearts and Wo Long had a chance to become more than "1 game series" IP, but they fucked it up.

T4keD0wN

Weird, aside from Hifi-rush and Turbo Overkill the only new IPs ive liked even a little bit this year are all either rogue likes or souls-likes. Roboquest was my favourite,

Theres just so many sequels and adaptations.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

HiFi Rush and Lies of P. Never did finish Lies of P though, but what I played was excellent. Gonna do a fresh playthrough when I find the time.

Hi-Fi Rush 100%
What an amazing game that came out of nowhere, character action AND a rythmn game? With great art style and characters and story, it's just the best.

It also just hit me that I've been dying for a guitaroo man remake/reboot and Hi-Fi Rush is essentially that in the modern era.

Beat GIF by Xbox

I didnt like this year for gaming at all and found the big releases were a letdown. But my top pick currently would have to be Forspoken.

I will play Ghostrunner 2 to tail off the year in a few days and the first is my personal GOAT video game so that will probably ended up being my top pick.

Robb

Gold Member
2b8.gif
Hi-Fi Rush by far. Amazing game that just came out of nowhere from a studio I did not expect to make something like it at anywhere near that quality. Everything about it is just sooo good.

Really hope we get a sequel, or more games in the same vein, from Tango in the future.

Last edited:

Salz01

Looking at that short list, seems originality is dead. Sad. I guess Hi fi Rush for me. Need to finish it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hi Fi Rush!

Incredible game that I've just gone back to, cementing how original anf fresh it is. They need to makea cartoon of the game and announce a sequel!

intbal

High On Life

It was first released in mid-December, but I'm gonna call it a 2023 game (PS4/5 release was 2023).

The type of humor dominated the conversation and probably kept some people away from it. I didn't find it all that funny myself.
But I loved the unique traversal mechanics which required you to learn all the movement systems in order to get where you needed to be.
Aside from that, it was just a standard shooter, which is all I really look for these days.

Damn, even the VR games I've played on Quest 3 this year have been sequels or remakes of existing IP, The 7th Guest remake, Arizona Sunshine 2, Half Life Alyx, Assasins Creed Nexus.
Call of the mountain on PSVR2 is part of the Aloy world.

Atomic Heart- Game has tons of issues but was still fun and an interesting world to finish.

Jusant - I'm kind of having fun with it. I've paused it in Quick Resume for now.

Hi-Fi Rush was fun, I finished that, but not sure I want to go back and try it again with more difficulty.

Starfield I've put about 60 hours into and have put it on hold for other games. I plan to just jump in and play here and there with it.

I bailed on Lies of P as being way too hard. Not fun.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Starfield is my GotY but there were some other new IPs I really liked as well.
Atomic Heart - So much fun and so unique. If it wasn't for Starfield I think this would be my GotY.
HiFi Rush -Big surprise shadow drop. Great graphics, game is so polished and a lot of fun until I couldn't get past some of the rhythm mini games due to being a totally uncoordinated retard.
High on Life - Laughed my ass off. Game was funny as hell but also so much fun.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It's a tough choice between Lies of P and Starfield...but I think I have to go with Lies of P by a hair. The story is well written and well presented, where as Starfield's presentation is a bit dated. I think the Soulsfan in me makes me a bit biased in this regard. Starfield is definitely more innovative in the ship building. Problem is the space combat doesn't really capitalize on it yet. Hoping future updates somehow make space combat more enjoyable. Right now it feels like a minigame.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Still shocked by the Calisto Protocol hate, I get helping the little guys, indie games but those people are becoming tyrants on the internet who take great honor in playing unknown games.

StereoVsn

Chained Echoes came out Dec 22’ but I think should still count. Lovely turn based rpg, very reminiscent to the best of the final fantasies.
Yep, I will go with Chained Echoes as well. I liked it better vs Sea of Stars. I think overall combat progression was better done and I liked the story more overall.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I adored lies of p. It was genuinely incredible, but it's obvious what it was influenced by, even though they made it their own.

Hi Fi rush felt completely original to me, especially for a bigger budget game. Everyone should at least try it imo.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I managed to play Tunic this year, which I thought was nice but the puzzles could've been pushed further and the bosses didn't make any sense for the game as they were too difficult for the input lag and no stagger.

Top Bottom