• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite Dragon Quest title ?

Your favorite Dragon Quest?

• I

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • II

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • III

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • IV

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • V

Votes: 23 18.3%
  • VI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VII

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • VIII

Votes: 29 23.0%
  • IX

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • X

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • XI

Votes: 39 31.0%

• Total voters

ethomaz

Banned
You have it backwards. FF TSW put Square in dire financial straits in 2001, leading to the Enix merger in 2003. Despite any developmental hiccups, DQ had been outselling FF.
Ohhh shit I forget that FF movie killed all the profit Square had with games lol
They were really in bankruptcy.

You are right… after that movie Square was in dire state.
Enix was not in a good situation either but at least it was way better than Square.

Last edited:

gelatinskeleton

Neo Member
I started playing the mainline series last year after I was charmed by the two Builders games. I decide to go in from the beginning, and I'm up to Dragon Quest IV now. I haven't finished it (I just hit chapter 4), but I'm digging it the most.

clem84

Gold Member
11, 8, 5... No surprise.

11 is my favorite. It has just about anything anyone could want from a DQ game.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I have played VI, VII, VIII, IX & XI and it still has to be XI.

Incidentally, the Dragon Quest Heroes games are ass

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
You have never played V?

YOU HAVE NEVER PLAYED V?

Play the PS2 version right nooooow

Thanks fren but I'm too retarded/lazy to emulate the game (and my PC isn't great) and I don't think they released a physical version for my region even though I do own a working PS2. The DS version is hella expensive

GeekyDad

You have never played V?

YOU HAVE NEVER PLAYED V?

Thanks fren but I'm too retarded/lazy to emulate the game (and my PC isn't great) and I don't think they released a physical version for my region even though I do own a working PS2. The DS version is hella expensive
I personally think the DS version is the best. Simply beautiful. It's hard to choose a better DQ (even though I did). It's kinda the perfect representation of the series in my mind. Hope you can eventually get hold of a copy of the DS game.

Y0ssarian

Banned
There's the SNES and Android versions if you ever feel like playing it.

Also, cute waifu
827719.jpg
Oh I forgot they put out android versions. Good catch. They should port 4/5/6 to switch as well.

Thank you, have you played any of the Neptunia games?

TLZ

Banned
I've only played I, II, III, IX, and XI. I've enjoyed them all. If I had to pick out of them, it's XI, but still can't really vote since I haven't played the others.

Reactions: Isa

lachesis

Played - 1 thru 6, 9 and 11.
Missed 7, 8 and 10 (online)

Personally, I enjoyed the V the most. The multi-generation thing was quite enjoyable too.
III on NES was also quite memorable... because it was so much fleshed out than originals - with great graphics and all. (for NES that is)
It had multiple playable characters and chapters - and it was my first DQ on NES that I finished.

XI was excellent too. I hear 8 is one of the greatest one & I am planning to visit 8 sometime in the future. (Hope it does get ported, but not really holding my breath)

Reactions: Isa

Y0ssarian

Banned
Not at all, but I see people mentioning it once in a while.

The game below looks well made (though I'm kinda ashamed to play games with cuteness overflow)

Ho ho! thanks for putting me onto that one. I need to do some research into the hack and slash titles! I played Neptunia reVerse (PS5) and rebirth 2 (PS Vita), I thought they were good.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hard to decide. I really like both V and XI. XI is much more accessible though.

demonstr8

They're all such fantastic games and well designed games. My favorites are probably III, V, VIII and XI. The best is probably VIII despite not being the first one I played. For some reason it propelled it to another level for me. The series I mean.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
damn, it's crazy for as long as this thread has been up, no one voted for X. :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Just using this recent thread bump as an excuse to post two of the best tracks in all of gaming history. DQV might be my favorite JRPG of all time, and the first time I played it was on the DS. I would have adored this game if it released in NA on the SNES back in the day.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Should I play Dragon Quest V on SNES or the Playstation 2 remake? Those are my 2 options.
Ill be playing on original hardware with the latest english translation patches.
Any suggestions?
Hard to say. I've only ever played the DS version.

Someone here will know. You're in for a treat if it's your first time. Game is so damn good.

Ladioss

I love DQ4 and its multifaceted (one character or set of characters POV by chapter) storytelling approach; additionnally, it was also the first DQ to do so well that classic "DQ vignette storytelling" that the rest of the series perfected afterwards. It's the game that made me fall in love with the series (and I'm still a little salty that the 3DS remake felt a little too easy/simplistic compared to the original)

While I appreciate the multi-generational story of DQ5, the game itself never really clicked with me.
I love DQ6 gameplay-wise but the characters are a little bland.
DQ7 is bloated.
DQ8, DQ9 and DQ11 were enjoyable but totally forgettable experiences.

fart town usa

Gold Member
For me it’s between DQVIII and DQV.

V and VII. The former because it's objectively the best one, the latter because that's the first one I played.

V is easily the best title in the series.

5 is the best in the series.

The only ones I didn't enjoy were 7 and 9.

5 and 8 for me. I was disappointed in 11, and found it forgettable.

XI, VIII and V are top tier for me but VIII was my introduction to DQ to that’s the one. Maybe it’s nostalgia.

V was baller.

Debora mains rise up.

It is DQ5 followed immediately by DQ11.

Dragon Quest V storyline had such a strong impact on me, especially with the DS version's additional party talk chat.

Probably DQV.

It is even today somehow unique in RPG genre.

You have never played V?

YOU HAVE NEVER PLAYED V?

Quoted you all cause we gotta help our boy Naked Lunch Naked Lunch determine if he should play DQV on the SNES or PS2?

I won't be able to sleep tonight if we don't help him out.

Thanks.

Graciaus

Quoted you all cause we gotta help our boy Naked Lunch Naked Lunch determine if he should play DQV on the SNES or PS2?

I won't be able to sleep tonight if we don't help him out.

Thanks.
I played the ds version. It has more content and is easier to get ahold of. The ps2 version looks and sounds better.

If you are just going to emulate it I would still pick the ds version.

Top Bottom