• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
837d468fe11ee53367bd224b9f2da583abc6d328891bbafda427b08a3ac4960e

Game Information​

Game Title: Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince

Platforms:
  • Nintendo Switch (Dec 1, 2023)
Trailers:
Publisher: SQUARE ENIX

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 74 average - 33% recommended - 6 reviews

zr2eBNY.png

MetaCritic - 77/100 - Nintendo Switch - 8 Reviews

e0M7F1U.png

Critic Reviews​

Atomix - Aldo López - Spanish - 80 / 100
If you want to know this sub-franchise in which the protagonists are the monsters of this universe, it is definitely the first good step to follow, given that the previous installments can be considered lost.

But Why Tho? - Abdul Saad - 6 / 10
While Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince offers a serviceable and sometimes fun narrative and gameplay, the overall experience is unfortunately bogged down by its performance issues and the lack of simple yet essential features.

Hardcore Gamer - Chris Shive - 3.5 / 5
Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince forgoes complexity in favor of creating an accessible and enjoyable gaming experience.

Hobby Consolas - Javier Escribano - Spanish - 60 / 100
Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince has a deep combat and monster breeding system that can become addictive if you're willing to overlook the very low quality of almost all of its sections: graphics, sound, story, level design, and development. Only recommended for those looking for a serious alternative to Pokémon.

Nintendo Life - Mitch Vogel - 7 / 10
Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince is an enjoyable monster-catching RPG that combines charming visuals with addictive gameplay to make for a genuinely gripping experience, making it feel like the long wait since the last entry to leave Japan has been worth it. Even so, its general lack of ambition and struggles with performance issues hold it back from greatness-it's very good, but it's also definitely got its issues. If you're at all a fan of Dragon Quest or monster-catching RPGs, we'd suggest you pick this one up, though perhaps wait a few months to see if Square can sort out the worst of its performance issues.

Screen Rant - Austin King - 4.5 / 5
All of this coalesces into a game that is surprisingly chill but also full of surprises. The storytelling, characters, and monsters are all trademark DQ. And with post-game content (no spoilers here), the good times can keep on rolling. The vibrancy on display here, along with Dragon Quest's signature sense of humor, dares anyone to play it without a smile. Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince is one of the most fun games of the year.

Last edited:

Fake

Always nice to have a monster game to face Pokemon monopoly.

And I played Dragon Warrior Monsters since GBC and the DS version as well. Good to know is a decent game after all.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
This is my second favorite game this year. Easily the best of the Monsters subseries. Great story, and the monster raising is better than ever.

It's pretty much taylored to my interests though. Pretty dope seeing my name sake get his due.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I played the demo super tired at 3am the other night but it seemed pretty good. I will have to try again while not almost fully asleep.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I'm about 70% through. Man thos games story goes places. If you like dq4 you owe it to yourself to play this

Top Bottom