• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Mazino joins HBO's The Last of Us Season 2 as JESSE

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
young-mazino-091223-b5da2d64b11c4a0f88283337c2d8dcd9.jpg

Another great casting - He was really good in BEEF along side Stephen Yeun

Looks the part and he can act, in fact he was exactly who I was thinking when I saw BEEF for jesse

MixCollage-09-Jan-2024-06-08-PM-7030.jpg

Last edited:

midnightAI

Great choice (beef is great btw)

Anyone going to whinge that he doesn't look exactly like the game character this time?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
As said above, he was good in Beef.

They're making better casting choices for season 2 than season 1 so far.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Why is the TLOU Part II casting so far been better than Pedro Pascal and the Bri'ish girl? What the fuck.

How many characters actually carry over from I to II? Besides Joel, Ellie, and Tommy.

I'm honestly hoping they recast Ellie. In which case it will be a blank slate.

Last edited:

aclar00

I was hoping season 2 tells more of the time between part 1 and 2, but the more they release casting info, the more it sounds like it will focus on part 2's story.

I just feel like there are years to cover during their time in Jackson. If would allow the writing team to be more creative...and give us more time with Joel...but then again season 2 will probably drag on.

He doesn't look exactly like the video game character.

He looks close enough to them. Just needs a gruffy 5 o'clock shadow and longer, dingier hair. And of course, tattered clothing.

Anyway the casting choices for Season 2 seem on-point so far. I'm still interested/curious if they alter any parts of the game's story in the TV adaptation, particularly involving Joel. Not necessarily changing what happens, but finding a way to have him be more prominent in the show's story with things present not there in the game. Or even how they structure his death in the show compared to the game.

Pedro was definitely a massive draw (arguably the draw) for Season 1 and they'll want to have them present as much as possible in Season 2. So they'll have to get crafty about how certain things from the game are adapted to make it happen, IMO.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I was hoping season 2 tells more of the time between part 1 and 2, but the more they release casting info, the more it sounds like it will focus on part 2's story.

I just feel like there are years to cover during their time in Jackson. If would allow the writing team to be more creative...and give us more time with Joel...but then again season 2 will probably drag on.
They will definitely add some filler. They are not going to kill him off right away. They’ve confirmed already part 2 will be more than 2 seasons.

And In the part II remaster coming out next week, the lost levels will be adapted into the show as well

aclar00

Anyway the casting choices for Season 2 seem on-point so far. I'm still interested/curious if they alter any parts of the game's story in the TV adaptation, particularly involving Joel. Not necessarily changing what happens, but finding a way to have him be more prominent in the show's story with things present not there in the game. Or even how they structure his death in the show compared to the game.

I feel like thete so much story to tell that occurs inbetween parts 1 and 2 that they honestly should be able to avoid Joels death until at least end of 3rd season. I mean, there is like a 5 year gap that should give the shows writers lots of creative freedom.

Honestly Abby should only have a few scene just to set he up for a 3rd or 4th season.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Visually looks on par to the game character. In outfit and long hair he should be a shoe in.

GAF says he has the chops so we are set for his role.

Did they mention who plays his baby mama?

He looks close enough to them. Just needs a gruffy 5 o'clock shadow and longer, dingier hair. And of course, tattered clothing.

Pedro was definitely a massive draw (arguably the draw) for Season 1 and they'll want to have them present as much as possible in Season 2. So they'll have to get crafty about how certain things from the game are adapted to make it happen, IMO.

I honestly feel like they won’t kill him off in the TV series

I feel like thete so much story to tell that occurs inbetween parts 1 and 2 that they honestly should be able to avoid Joels death until at least end of 3rd season. I mean, there is like a 5 year gap that should give the shows writers lots of creative freedom.

Honestly Abby should only have a few scene just to set he up for a 3rd or 4th season.

That'd probably be for the best, going with some of the story that was between Part 1 and Part 2 of the game series, while still introducing Part 2 characters in Season 2. It'd be a good way to better set up those characters, especially Abby.

So actually I'd be fine with more Abby vs. less in Season 2 if they can make her more likeable ahead of Joel's death, and find ways to show Joel being a bit more untrustworthy/unlikeable (without resorting to just making him stupidly evil or positioning things he did out of good intentions as being inherently wrong in hindsight). Maybe also he puts up a bit more of a fight in his eventual death, physically or mentally/emotionally.

They could do all of that while not cheapening the story Part 2 itself told.

I honestly feel like they won’t kill him off in the TV series

Bold guess, but it's possible. Again, Pedro's a major draw. If they change his story that much in the show, I wonder if ND would be compelled to do something about that game-wise.

Or, they keep the game series and the TV series on two different continuities (while expanding the game storyline to optionally allow a path along the TV series storyline for players who'd rather do that). Could be very interesting in implications for the game.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They just cast Isabela Merced as Dina

Another good choice.
I'm really curious about Season 2, will they change stuff, will it be the same, what will be added.
And how much it gonna get ripped apart
tenor.gif

Funny enough the Joel stuff which people cling to because they actually think that the only reason people think it's bad, will be just seen as a rip off to TWD's glen scene

Dat Season 2
Another good choice.
I'm really curious about Season 2, will they change stuff, will it be the same, what will be added.
And how much it gonna get ripped apart
tenor.gif

Funny enough the Joel stuff which people cling to because they actually think that the only reason people think it's bad, will be just seen as a rip off to TWD's glen scene
Considering the ending of the show and Joel's decision wasn't in any way as controversial as in the game, i'm sure there won't be much backlash from the show's second season and people watching are actual grown adults instead of what happened with the second game.

Woggleman

I had a coworker who asked me to spoil it for her and it makes her want to watch it even more so I think the TV audience will be more mature about this.

Dat Season 2

Considering the ending of the show and Joel's decision wasn't in any way as controversial as in the game, i'm sure there won't be much backlash from the show's second season and people watching are actual grown adults instead of what happened with the second game.
The tv audience in general has seen way more brutal things than in part two.

Reactions: TGO

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Dat Season 2

Who said anything about a backlash ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Saying the story is badly written isn't backlash
The general core game is fantastic, you seem to not understand why people have this opinion
Let's get this out the way, and I will spoiler tag it for those who don't know, whoever that maybe
Joel's death was/has been accepted as it was going to happen sooner or later.
And while you and many may think it's great 😃
Others believe it was very poorly done with convenience story telling overriding logic and character traits to push the story in the direction they wanted.
The general narrative was boring and uninteresting considering what they was trying to convey and the end game didn't justify the means
And in comparison to the original, other than Joel's Death this probably should have been kept in Ellie's Diary of what she did last week
It doesn't have the same weight as the original, not because of the subject, the subject is perfect.
But the execution is just poor and feels flat
I don't hate TLOU2, just like I don't hate The Last Jedi.
I just think they're really badly told stories and if I was to remake it, that thing you think is the only reason people dislike it?
I wouldn't change it, it would happen.
It would just be different.
The tv audience in general has seen way more brutal things than in part two.
This, people watching are actual grown adults and they've seen it before and seen it done better, they aren't going to defend bad writing because it has great gameplay & graphics!
They'll see it for what it is
Unless they tidy it up, which I believe they will and it probably work out alright 👍

Last edited:
Top Bottom