• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You snap your fingers and an older game suddenly has a playerbase equal to its peak and would sustain that for a year. What would you choose?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Huh... Halo and Sonic. Most because the new guys never really deliver what the original team did

But you know a funny thing? Since the past gen came out, Capcom and Nintendo are basically the ones who knows how to respect the fan base
- all the REmakes and the new ones (we can debate for 3, but everyone agrees that it's a fine game)
- Monster Hunters are solid as ever
- Street Fighter V got a rocky launch, but got better and better, VI is looking great too
- Devil May Cry V is crème de la crème
- Mario Odissey is on the top tier of the series
- Breath of the Wild renew what open world games could be
- Metroid Dread showed that the franchise still works with the default settings
- Mario Kart never got old
- Smash Bros got way above the ceiling

Migu

I second ARMS.
Also Tetris Effect, I gave up waiting for people to play connected mode on a weekday evening. Loved it though

REDRZA MWS

dTdzUtV.jpg

Vlodril

Split between Ultima Online which is still my fav mmo experience and Star Wars Galaxies which i never played and i wish i did.

I guess i'll go with SWG since it would be new to me.

Should have been the first post. WotLK launch was insanity personified, never again have I felt like that playing a videogame.
Man, gives me feels to install WoW again - I quit before Shadowlands. Worth it GAF?
We're back in the cycle after both BfA and Shadowlands werr lackluster - Dragonflight is pretty good for now

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Dragon's Crown, I love that game and it would have been nice to play it at it's peak.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Titanfall (1)
Many probably didn't try it in here because it was pc/xbox exclusive but the first TF wipes the second on the floor all day.

Edit - weird to see so many saying world of Warcraft. I've played all expansions at launch except shadow lands, and I'd say legion and dragon flight is as great as wotlk.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Team Fortress Classic
or
Battlefield 2 [PC]

The finest days of multiplayer gaming - wont ever be repeated.

TFC in its prime was pure skilled based fun. Intensity thru the roof trying to secure that final cap before time ran out - grenade, conc, and rocket jumping all over the place with precise timing. The Dustbowl slaughter in the chokepoints before the floodgates were breached. Absolutely NO ONE cared about K/D in these days. Pretty sure it didnt even list your deaths. Pure fun.

There were BF2 servers with military vets or even active service military playing as the commanders - every game was serious as can be - everyone cared about winning - and NO ONE cared about K/D. Commanders communicated to the jets to have them air strike tank brigades. This would NEVER happen in todays games. Teamwork everywhere. Its a lost art.

My oh my have multiplayer team games fallen off a cliff. S'all about that K/D and fuck teamwork - whats that?

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Most of the really older games I would choose I would do so only because of nostalgia and not because I really wanted to play them again; games like the first Medal of Honor: AA (on PC with the first expansion pack) or Battlefield Bad Company (on consoles). So basically, any WW2 multiplayer focused game from the early aughts before online game became. . .this.

. . .when ignoring the above, probably EDF5 or Marvel's Avengers (I'd love to see what kind of a reception the current version of the game had gotten if it were available if not at launch then all within one epic year of post launch content and full servers).

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Unreal Tournament 2004, quake 3 arena and Titanfall 2.
i regret my purchase of the former 2 on steam purely because the playerbases are so low and the only real action you can find is with bots ....

Only those of us who served can know and appreciate this is the only correct answer. The community, the clan matches, the ahead of its time features, the skill involved. Incredible.

Very interesting to see titanfall mentioned so much. Always found it shit and overhyped. For me outside of socom it would be gears 1, quake 3, halo2/3.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Cncren-cover.jpg

Still waiting for any news on the teams new game Earthbreakers with a similar premise.

Don't get me wrong you can still get a match of renegade even decades later, but I would love to see full servers to pick and choose from like the glory days.

And of course still waiting on the Fan made sequel release.

Last edited:

vj27

Banned
Titanfall 2 🙏
Damn beat me to it.

Im a go with something super obscure then and say Evolve. If all that dlc was day 1 it would’ve been popular especially with all the Friday the 13th and dead by daylight’s. To me evolve just played and felt wayyyy better than those games did.
Halo 3. Imagine the custom games scene booming like how it was back in the day.
Hell yeah man, I was a squeaker back in those days lol. Would love to have the shoe on the other foot for once, got tricked so many damn times in customs games like teacher because of my underdeveloped brain 😅😂. Was like 9 at the time I think.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
Should have been the first post. WotLK launch was insanity personified, never again have I felt like that playing a videogame.
Man, gives me feels to install WoW again - I quit before Shadowlands. Worth it GAF?
I'm enjoying Dragon Flight. The Dragon flying is a lot of fun.

Beechos

Diablo 2 in its heyday was amazing. I dont think i have spent more time playing any game more than diablo when i was young. i think it still has a very loyal fanbase that plays the game regularly.

Top Bottom