• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You are allowed to erase 3 games from your memory so you can experience them again for the first time. Which ones you choose?

I did a search to make sure this topic hadn't been created on Gaf before. It turns out it was already...more than once in 2013 and 2017. But since it's been so long and so many more users have joined since 6 years ago, why not create it anyway?

Here's my 3 choices:

final-fantasy-ix-cover.cover_large.jpg
tomb-raider-2-us.png
18224_5ab0403194ecf9.30339513_PS3_20-_20Last_20of_20Us_large_d64df173-8898-469d-b3bf-bd86120988a2.jpg

Final Fantasy IX - Bought it because VII and VIII were so huge. Had no idea what to expect and had never played an RPG before. Once i started it i was hooked. It introduced me to an entire new genre of games and my life was never the same again. Oh...those FMVs were incredible for a 1999 game.

Tomb Raider 2 - I had enjoyed TR1. I had a cousin with a PSone and her uncle let me play it. Then it's early 1998 and a new one had come out a few months before in 1997 and i just thought "why not?". The game starts relatively similar to the first game,this time in China...then as soon as you open the first door...where's the tunnel? Wait...are we outside? This is the Great Wall of China?! Yup, you're outside for the first time in a Tomb Raider game. That first level ends...and wait...are we in Venice? Is that a boat?! I can ride a boat here outside in Venice's channels? This is fucking amazing! It did what the first game did...and much more than that. It was probably the first 3D action adventure game that i can say i truly enjoyed. What a ride this was. I still remember the FMVs and enjoying them back then as well. The mansion level was also much better than the first game. The final boss was also out of this world for me back then. A huge ass dragon that could knock down pillars if he came in contact with them and everything...it all just felt so evolved, lmao.

The Last of Us - Basically the way the narrative was presented it just seemed much more evolved and grown up than any game up until that point for me. The voice acting was above everything i had heard, the mocap, the audio design, the chemestry between the 2 main characters. If that wasn't enough the gameplay worked like a charm. It simply was a joy to play. By the time the game was over i kept thinking about it for days and the more time had passed the more i realized i had just witnessed something amazing.

These are my choices. Now it's you guys.

Last edited:
Resident Evil 4 (OG)
Metal Gear Solid
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2

bonus:

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy IX
Resident Evil 1 (PSX)
Phantasy Star IV
The Last of Us
Halo: CE
Metal Gear Solid 3

Probably a lot more but I'll limit it to these.
Shit...MGS3 is such a good choice as well for me. This is hard as hell, lmao.

Silent Hill 2, because I got the big twist spoiled before I played it
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, to experience that wide open, epic world for the first time again
West of Loathing, so I can laugh my ass off at all the hilarious jokes in it for the first time again

TheGrat1

240.jpg

The challenge of Poseidon is like a line of demarcation for me in terms of the kinds of entertainment I consume. It changed my tastes.

Metal_Gear_Solid_cover_art.png

More accurately: I would like to erase both the playing memory and the synopsis I read in preparation for playing MGS4 as that was my first MGS game. I can only slightly imagine the anticipation that built for a new player as you walked down that tunnel filled with bodies that Gray Fox sliced up. I would also like to know what my reaction to the Psycho Mantis boss battle would be without knowing the method!
BioShock_cover.jpg

"Would you kindly?" Should not need much explanation.
No Gods or Kings. Only Man.

Hoddi

Bloodborne
SOMA
Chrono Trigger

I never played Chrono Trigger until 2020 but Jesus Christ was it still amazing. SOMA also gets my vote for the amazing story and BB is just because I've already played it a million times. My Alzheimer's can't come soon enough.

Puscifer

1. Death Stranding
2. Silent Hill 2
3. Jet Set Radio Future

Oddly enough, in that order they're my favorite games of all time.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Tricky question; playing some of my favourites today in 2023, they probably wouldn't hold up for me. In the spirit of the question, I'll answer as if I can re-experience them for the first time, devoid of any modern context.
  1. Deus Ex
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  3. Doom (1993)
Honourable mentions:
  1. Halo: Combat Evolved
  2. Morrowind
  3. Supreme Commander
  4. Counter-Strike (1.6)
  5. Resident Evil 2 (both OG and remake)

Fbh

1. The Outer Wilds
One of my favourite games ever but it's basically not replayable (those who've played it will know why)

2. Shadow of the Colossus.
Not quite as non replayable as Outer Wilds but it looses a lot of the magic once the fun of figuring out how to beat each colossus is gone

3. The Witcher 3.
Properly playing throughout it again (specially if you also include the DLC) is just too big of a time investment that I'd rather spend experiencing new games.
But if it could be my first playthrough that'd be nice.

Top Bottom