• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition |OT| What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Apparently.

Hudo

Yeah it's just my opinion. I mostly love Jrpg's though and maybe had too high expectations.
Just out of curiosity, did you play Xenoblade Chronicles X? It's a different take really, where it's much more focused on exploration and is, in my opinion, one of the best games that entice the player to explore. And ironically it does this not only by having well written side quests (the main story is rather bland, however) but mostly by making moving around in the world and getting from A to B not feel like a chore. From how quickly you pick up stuff or not receiving fall damage to having a cool mecha that can fly later on.

Nico_D

I had to force myself to finish it. The world was good, everything else was better in XBC2. I consider XBC2 one of the best jrpgs I have played, the first one was not.

Just out of curiosity, did you play Xenoblade Chronicles X? It's a different take really, where it's much more focused on exploration and is, in my opinion, one of the best games that entice the player to explore. And ironically it does this not only by having well written side quests (the main story is rather bland, however) but mostly by making moving around in the world and getting from A to B not feel like a chore. From how quickly you pick up stuff or not receiving fall damage to having a cool mecha that can fly later on.
No I never played X but I definitely will. I will also play XC2.

Seems opinions about these games are divisive.

Hudo

No I never played X but I definitely will. I will also play XC2.

Seems opinions about these games are divisive.
Yeah, it's a bit ironic that the Xenoblade games are indeed divisive among the fanbase. There are people who like XBC but don't like XBC2 (and vice versa). But I think the two main groups I observed are people who really like XBC and XBC2 and people who really like XBCX. It seems that there aren't that many people who like X and 1 and 2 equally (I do like all because they focus on different things, IMHO).

But I will say this: It took me more time than I usually would be willing to spend to "get" XBC2's combat. In fact, it wasn't until someone on 4chan made a post about how XBC2's combat resembles a rythm game with your auto-cancelling, art-cancelling and building your meters that way and with arts you build up orbs of a certain colors on your enemy and when your meter is full you "pop" them by choosing to attack with the right type of attack.

The game does a poor job of explaining this and to let the player get a feel for this, IMHO.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
There's strategy involved to actually speed up the process, and that itself gives people some motivation to learn I guess.
Yeah I guess there must me some kind of something, but I just can't see it. All I do is position behind or at the sides of the enemy and spam the arts that are best at that position.

Does the game open up or get more complicated later on? I'm after Colony 6, when you meet Dumban again.

MagnesG

Banned
Yeah I guess there must me some kind of something, but I just can't see it. All I do is position behind or at the sides of the enemy and spam the arts that are best at that position.

Does the game open up or get more complicated later on? I'm after Colony 6, when you meet Dumban again.
I don't think so I think. Just keep spamming arts and break topple daze, then chains. You could maybe read a bit about aggro and tensions, and how to increase chain links.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I don't think so I think. Just keep spamming arts and break topple daze, then chains. You could maybe read a bit about aggro and tensions, and how to increase chain links.
Afaik aggro is determined by the amount of arts you use,and certain arts like Reyn's that increase the aggro right?

I might still keep playing it though. The story and music seem nice enough to keep me playing.

Btw, how is the combat in XC2 compared to DE? Does it require more involvement from the player?

MagnesG

Banned
Afaik aggro is determined by the amount of arts you use,and certain arts like Reyn's that increase the aggro right?

I might still keep playing it though. The story and music seem nice enough to keep me playing.

Btw, how is the combat in XC2 compared to DE? Does it require more involvement from the player?
You're pretty much right about the aggro.

XC2 combat is wildly different and more complex, and the worse part is the game really didn't teach you much except for some hints so you really need a guide for that game. The combat is so awesome though, yes it needs your involvement more to speed up the whole thing. The best part is that the game is tense as fuck, much more like a fast rhythm game.

Imagine the auto attack beats of the usual XC combat, half of that with proper timing on occasion.

Mister Wolf

Its a lot more involved to the point where if you aren't paying attention to what they are telling you during the tutorials it can fly over your head.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
You're pretty much right about the aggro.

XC2 combat is wildly different and more complex, and the worse part is the game really didn't teach you much except for some hints so you really need a guide for that game. The combat is so awesome though, yes it needs your involvement more to speed up the whole thing. The best part is that the game is tense as fuck, much more like a fast rhythm game.

Imagine the auto attack beats of the usual XC combat, half of that with proper timing on occasion.
The combat complexity is there, you just have to keep playing. I’m assuming you’re not playing on casual mode, right?

If it’s normal mode and you’re trying to cruise through the game quickly, you will get wrecked eventually. You can’t beat the last boss without at least being within 10 levels of him and even then, only when you know what you’re doing.

it was at that point in the first play through that I knew I was going to have to get more proficient at beating higher level enemies so I could level up faster. That’s when I started to read through the tutorials.

Understanding some of the different ways the characters fight and their strength and weakness is part of the fun. Plus you get the added satisfaction of beating enemies man levels above you.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
So, has anyone here 100%ed the game? And by 100% (because I know that’s a loaded question considering the game in question) what I mean is:

1. Collect all items for the collectopedia.
2. Collect all weapons and armor pieces.
3. Explore every edge of every map.
4. Max out your arts
5. Complete your affinity skill tree with every character.
6. Do all the side quests.
7. Reconstruct Colony 6 completely.
8. Reach level 5 on your affinity chart in every area.
9. Complete all the affinity conversations.
10. Beat the game (duh)

Am I missing anything?

I think the most I’ll ever do is complete the collectopedia and reconstruct colony 6.
I also did all 34 side quests in colony 9 just because I wanted to see what it was like (nothing happened).

I’m guessing that’s at least 300 hours to do all of the above. How much have you done?

Last edited:

Shouta

I finished XB1 and XB2 back to back a few months ago. It's pretty interesting because both games have positives and negatives when comparing the two. For example, I think the world setup and character composition is great for XB1 but some of the writing, particularly for the characters, feels really weak. On the other hand, XB2's world and characters are more derivative (read: anime as fuck) but I like some of the development they had for some of them. The same applies to combat with XB1 having an actual MMO setup with aggro and that but it never expanded beyond while XB2 has a fair bit of variety to it but I don't think the base was quite as good.

Here's hoping an XB3 will nail everything.

SinDelta

Game is enormous. Eryth Sea is a spectacular view to see.

Story is interesting. My only true regret with this game is I've seen just about every spoiler for the series via osmosis over the years.

Characters are likable.

OST is crazy good. So too is the "framing" of certain scenes.

Having trouble deciding which gear to equip there is so much of it.

Trying to do every side quest is a chore at times but the DE UI make it tolerable.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
So, has anyone here 100%ed the game? And by 100% (because I know that’s a loaded question considering the game in question) what I mean is:

1. Collect all items for the collectopedia.
2. Collect all weapons and armor pieces.
3. Explore every edge of every map.
4. Max out your arts
5. Complete your affinity skill tree with every character.
6. Do all the side quests.
7. Reconstruct Colony 6 completely.
8. Reach level 5 on your affinity chart in every area.
9. Complete all the affinity conversations.
10. Beat the game (duh)

Am I missing anything?

I think the most I’ll ever do is complete the collectopedia and reconstruct colony 6.
I also did all 34 side quests in colony 9 just because I wanted to see what it was like (nothing happened).

I’m guessing that’s at least 300 hours to do all of the above. How much have you done?
Only finished the story and the some :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom