• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition |OT| What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Apparently.

Komatsu

main-logo.png

xeno-story.png

xeno-chars.png

xeno-media.png

xeno-reception.png

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Awesome game, excellent OT!

I'm about 10 hours into the game so far and absolutely loving it.

Still waiting on my pre order to ship, but will be rocking it two days after that. Was not able to finish the Wii original because it looked like garbage on a 55 inch hd tv. Now it won't.

Exentryk

Keen to see what Future Connected contains, but not sure if I have the time commitment for the rest of the game since it is huge.

The music sounds nice though.

Last edited:

ranmafan

My special edition just arrived! Now time to begin the weekend of Xenoblade. Going to enjoy this ride once again!

Wunray

Just did something and wanted to pass it on, in this game there is a cosmetic option to overlay armor over armor you are currently wearing (transmog) so 8f you start future connected and quit it you get shulks new outfit to play from the beginning.

^ I really need to controls and menu steps of how to do the cosmetic option, my mixed armor looks really rough without a matching set of gear

I need rest but when I wake up I want my party to look decent

Ma-Yuan

Managed to play around 2h 20min yesterday currently lvl 12. And I am loving it got some goose bumps during the intro. Yes some untouched stuff looks out of place and X and 2 look definitely better but it looks still amazing! Can't wait to play further tonight! Also quiet happy that my switch lite will likely last 4h before batteries are drained. At 1h59 was 52% :)

Wunray

^ I really need to controls and menu steps of how to do the cosmetic option, my mixed armor looks really rough without a matching set of gear

I need rest but when I wake up I want my party to look decent
It's right bellow your current equipment you have on.

DelireMan7

I should not be here... I've just finished the Wii version for the first time and this OT makes me want to buy it on Switch now.

Amazing game, looking forward to play this version at some point :)

Last edited:

dottme

I've just try it a little, and the introduction looks really good. I've seen the video from DF, but I think I'm more than ok with it. I'm enjoying it.

Zenaku

Finished FC at 12 hours. I could have finished it in 10, but I actually hold back in RPGs (don't level up abilities, don't use stocked exp) but in the end I upgraded everything to see the ending.

Spoiler free, it was nice. As a fan of 10 years, and as someone that loves the entire cast, I wish they'd made it bigger and focused on the whole crew and not just Shulk/Melia, but oh well.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Just finished playing for two hours. This is great.

Resolution gate, at least early on, seems entirely overblown, and a non-issue. Docked has this persistent softness (I’m on a 4K screen), that’s not really that noticeable, and while handheld is definitely lower resolution, it’s nothing like 2, and remains a good way to play the game. Your experience isn’t going to be murdered by handheld.

It’s really pretty too. You kind of have to get used to Wii-era stuff showing up, but it actually doesn’t jar. It all works together, and the cumulative effect is definitely a world that’s fun to look at, and expresses the intended artistic beauty of the game more than it ever has before.

The game itself... well, you all know at this point. If you don’t know, you’ve probably played a Xenoblade sequel. This style remains as fun as ever.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Resolution gate, at least early on, seems entirely overblown
Something always gets overblown in Neogaf. The resolution is no where near as bad as people making out to be, when it comes to resolution it’s better than XC2 and I’m surprised that it also better than Torna.

I love the world and story of these games, but I find the combat to be a confusing, mostly automated mess. It mostly seems the ideal tactic is to spam arts and there's not really a lot of room for strategy - especially since most of the party is out of your control.

at least 1 is less confusing than 2

-Arcadia-

Banned
Something always gets overblown in Neogaf. The resolution is no where near as bad as people making out to be, when it comes to resolution it’s better than XC2 and I’m surprised that it also better than Torna.

Well, that isn’t a Gaf exclusive phenomenon, tbf.

I think a lot of people, including me, saw that identical-to-2 resolution range leaked by the hacker, and assumed the worst. I think a lot of people haven’t played Torna and seen the improvements there.

When the screens came out, things started to differ from perception quite a bit.

The game seems to bear that out, although it’s still early, and more intense stressors could exist (although the opening area is so large and dense, I’d be surprised at that).

I think what we may be looking at is the game generally operating at the medium - higher ranges of resolution in that datamined info. I panned the camera quickly in a particularly pushing area, and I did notice a brief crunch down into something slightly unsightly, but that was just once in two hours of play. Add in the bad sharpening + artifacts either no longer being here, or fixed, and you have something that thankfully doesn’t seem to be anything like what was originally feared.

Ma-Yuan

I love the world and story of these games, but I find the combat to be a confusing, mostly automated mess. It mostly seems the ideal tactic is to spam arts and there's not really a lot of room for strategy - especially since most of the party is out of your control.

I never understood what people had for a problem with 2. I found the system never really confusing. Overkilled the last boss easily at the end. Once you understood it there was not much too it imo.

-Arcadia-

Banned

Definitely not. The strategy is actually a highlight. There’s an... art (rolls eyes) to having the right positioning for certain moves, for setting up devastating combos, and just making the right plays at all times.

That goes double for 2, which probably has the most rewarding RPG battle system I’ve ever played.

Where the games are rough, is their messaging. It can be hard to wrap your head around all of this at first, and the games vary from spamming you with info you’re supposed to memorize (thankfully accessible by menu later) one after the other, to unrolling it for hours in 2, to the point where a lot of people just assumed there wasn’t anything to battling early on.

These games desperately need Nintendo to come in and show Mono how to introduce mechanics, familiarize them, etc.

That said, just keep exploring the combat system, have fun, and check the tutorials for anything you don’t know about. It’s ultimately not that complicated, and you’ll get it.

Last edited:

Wunray

Played a bit in handheld last night and yeah it's much better that xbc2 in handheld and it looks fine on the tv as well. It's not your awesome sauce 4k image clearity but given this forums Sony leaning, we should be used to it.

MagnesG

Banned
Hopefully the Xenoblade franchise could thrive until most people could be familiar with the battle system...

Though I still think its not that hard to comprehend it.

wvnative

I'm new but so far my only questions are...

If you die and respawn at a town, does it keep your items and xp up to that point?

And I like to b line the main story in most jrpgs, does the normal difficulty allow for this or am I eventually gonna have to grind quests? For reference I can usually B line my way through any tales of or final fantasy game without any grinding and have fairly smooth progression.

Synless

So what is the best armor and weapons to get early in from drops? Isn’t there some sets that put you ahead of the game for some period of time? It’s been a long time since I played this and can’t recall.

gtrwll

Managed to get four hours in today, and the game feels good. The battle system is a bit simple after the brilliance of XC2, but still a fun one. Didn’t expect the story to kick in so fast, but I’m not complaining.

gtrwll

...and I don’t get the resolution drama. The game looks gorgeous, just gotta love Monolith Soft’s art style and topography.

Shifty1897

I'm new but so far my only questions are...

If you die and respawn at a town, does it keep your items and xp up to that point?

And I like to b line the main story in most jrpgs, does the normal difficulty allow for this or am I eventually gonna have to grind quests? For reference I can usually B line my way through any tales of or final fantasy game without any grinding and have fairly smooth progression.

Dying in the game has no penalty; you retain everything you had at death.

In terms of difficulty and being able to mainline the story, you're mostly good to go. That being said, there is a difficulty spike many hours into the game, where you enter a particular new area and everything seems to kick your ass quickly. You'll probably need to grind there, I sure did.

Fuuuuuuu....this looks and plays real rough in handheld. I’d argue even worse than XC2, and that’s a low bar. Reviewers were smoking crack when they said this looks better lol

Ulysses 31

Real noticeable that the dynamic res kicks in when exiting game menus, played through the Wii version and this still looks leagues better. :p :p :p

Top Bottom