• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Wants To Provide A 'Steady Flow Of Great Games' Moving Forward

I'm on the last level of Halo Infinite and it's been a great ride. I'll finish off some of the map markers too.

I'd say "what's next?", but I'm moving on to either Cyberpunk or AC Valhalla. It's not like there's nothing to play. Will tide me over until FH5 DLC, hopefully Forza Motorsport, Starfield and whatever else they have planned. There have been some big games already this year (Elden Ring, Horizon, GT7) but none have got me to bite - Elden Ring is not for me and the other two are priced too high. When Microsoft does get up to speed there won't be enough time...

Louay

Bruh xbox have like more than 50 games in dev(too much ?) and Phil be like ''I won't say too much games" at 1:39. what next capcom ?

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
I'm on the last level of Halo Infinite and it's been a great ride. I'll finish off some of the map markers too.

I'd say "what's next?", but I'm moving on to either Cyberpunk or AC Valhalla. It's not like there's nothing to play. Will tide me over until FH5 DLC, hopefully Forza Motorsport, Starfield and whatever else they have planned. There have been some big games already this year (Elden Ring, Horizon, GT7) but none have got me to bite - Elden Ring is not for me and the other two are priced too high. When Microsoft does get up to speed there won't be enough time...
Yep. Exciting stuff to look forward to. And then you factor in the AAA games releasing on Game Pass that you might have skipped, like GotG. I'm playing through that now and it's fantastic! Not enough time indeed!

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Last year was great for Microsoft. They need more years like that. Maybe starting in 2023 we will see consistent releases every quarter. Not every game is going to be AAA, but I think if Microsoft gets to the point where they're able to release new content every quarter they'll be happy with that.
I think we will start to see it in q2 2022, or arguably you could say it started in 2021 and there was a little break in q1 2022.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Last year was great for Microsoft. They need more years like that. Maybe starting in 2023 we will see consistent releases every quarter. Not every game is going to be AAA, but I think if Microsoft gets to the point where they're able to release new content every quarter they'll be happy with that.

I assume the goal is to have a big AAA title every quarter, things that will really get GP members excited. Seems like they have the studios now to do that if you figure a 5yr dev time, they'd need like 20 AAA teams, not impossible. With room for their AA studios to do their thing as well.

Lognor

Banned
I assume the goal is to have a big AAA title every quarter, things that will really get GP members excited. Seems like they have the studios now to do that if you figure a 5yr dev time, they'd need like 20 AAA teams, not impossible. With room for their AA studios to do their thing as well.
AAA titles every quarter would be great. I'm not that optimistic. I would think some of those titles would be more on the AA side (Psychonauts, Gears Tactics, Crash Bandicoot, etc.). And I think that would be perfectly fine for most people. And I would bet that any dry quarters Microsoft would supplement with third party Game Pass releases.

Either way, I think we're in for a deluge of content on Game Pass that will be impossible to keep up with for most people. It kind of stresses me out. lol

DaGwaphics

AAA titles every quarter would be great. I'm not that optimistic. I would think some of those titles would be more on the AA side (Psychonauts, Gears Tactics, Crash Bandicoot, etc.). And I think that would be perfectly fine for most people. And I would bet that any dry quarters Microsoft would supplement with third party Game Pass releases.

Either way, I think we're in for a deluge of content on Game Pass that will be impossible to keep up with for most people. It kind of stresses me out. lol

I can see them trying to use the blockbusters to put an exclamation point on the value of GP as time goes on, that's why I'm more bullish with the AAA. 4 huge releases a year is enough to make the $15/mo. sub worth it right there for a lot of people and then with everything else it's just insane. They have a lot of AAA studios now, especially if we figure Activision into the mix, so I figure they will all be busy working on something.

But I agree a good AA game is something to get excited about too. I've got to get around to Psychonauts, and a new Crash game would always be appreciated by me.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

I think it will be 4 AAA games per year and 3-5 smaller games and DLC per year.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

20 AAA teams and no mistakes/delays. Which is simply unrealistic. Expecting not at least a percentage to slip flies in the face of how the industry has always worked.

Game-dev is not an exact science; creativity needs room to work in, which is why most of the best games slip months and sometimes years past their target dates.

Now, on the upside MS has got the funds to allow this, but my concern has always been the pipe-lining. Specifically if that all effort is being spent on creating a steady cadence of launches onto Gamepass that's really trying to thread the eye of a needle with a broom-handle.

Film and TV production is a lot more rigorously controlled financially and is thus simply more reliable. Its another reason why the whole "Netflix for games" rhetoric has always struck me as little more than a nice slogan: Not all content is created equally easily.

DaGwaphics

20 AAA teams and no mistakes/delays. Which is simply unrealistic. Expecting not at least a percentage to slip flies in the face of how the industry has always worked.

Game-dev is not an exact science; creativity needs room to work in, which is why most of the best games slip months and sometimes years past their target dates.

Now, on the upside MS has got the funds to allow this, but my concern has always been the pipe-lining. Specifically if that all effort is being spent on creating a steady cadence of launches onto Gamepass that's really trying to thread the eye of a needle with a broom-handle.

Film and TV production is a lot more rigorously controlled financially and is thus simply more reliable. Its another reason why the whole "Netflix for games" rhetoric has always struck me as little more than a nice slogan: Not all content is created equally easily.

Very true that games get delayed or projects just don't work out. I don't think they would ever have hard guarantees, just a general effort to establish that kind of cadence internally.

Sosokrates

I still think the first 3 years of X360 are unmatched.

Xbox with Phil is too much inconsistent imo. Talk is cheap.
I was going to say that an improvement that I would of liked from Xbox is them to have secure some exclusives in there quiet periods, like the medium or how loke Sony has done with deathloop and ghostwire. However big Gamepass releases like mlb, outriders, gotg etc somewhat mitigates this issue.

Does it mean they have failed at this before? I mean, the results are there and it show.

TGZEFC4.png

Master Chief Halo GIF by Xbox

kingfey

Banned

Games dont drop from trees. Its really hard for you guys to grasp this.
Unlike Sony, Xbox didnt have studios ready to make games in 2015. Their studios released games around 2018-2019. It will take time for their next games to drop.

sircaw

Banned
We already have in 2021 we had flight sim, Psychonauts, halo and FH5. In 2022 we will have deathloop, redfall, starfield, scorn and likely another unnouced title.
What has that got to do with what i said?

Have we seen Avowed, No
Have we seen Fable, No
Have we seen Starfield No

Have we seen a quake reboot yet No?

Are you a rabid fanboy that needs to defend his piece of PLASTIC.

YES YES YES "lollipop_disappointed:

Once again, looking forward to what they show this year 👍

Last edited:
We already have in 2021 we had flight sim, Psychonauts, halo and FH5. In 2022 we will have deathloop, redfall, starfield, scorn and likely another unnouced title.
So are you gonna take credit for Deathloop 2 years in a row?lol

It’s a port, that has been 20 dollars on playstation and pc for months already. I would also be surprised if scorn scores anything more than a 70 mc

Sosokrates

So are you gonna take credit for Deathloop 2 years in a row?lol

It’s a port, that has been 20 dollars on playstation and pc for months already. I would also be surprised if scorn scores anything more than a 70 mc
I didn't in the post you quoted and deathloop is currently £30 on Amazon.

Still nice for gamepass users who are interested but not interested enough to have already of purchased it.

And who knows, maybe there will be some DLC for deathloop too. Arcane must of been doing something in a year.

Last edited:
They bought a publisher who has been much, much better at churning out great games than their own studios ever have, and are in the process of acquiring tons of IPs, ten teams or so and thousands of developers with the Activision deal...so...yeah?! No shit, Sherlock! 😐

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

This is my issue. Even the 1st few years on Xbox One were good for me

They have a few games I'm interested in seeing gameplay for like Indiana Jones, Fable, Starfield, Gears 6 but it's a wait and see situation

They're closer than ever, but yeah, he's been saying this for a while.

I will say Xbox is swiftly turning into my "gameplay machine." When I have several hours available, I turn on PS5, get immersed in a story and world. But when I have an hour or less, and I just want pure gameplay, Xbox exclusives or Gamepass titles just beckon. Spent tons of time avoiding Horizon (which is so good!) to grind Halo challenges, screw around in Forza, quick mission in MCC or Doom.

So even if they're not dropping a new AAA title every quarter, which has been their stated goal, they're in MUCH better shape than even two years ago.
They even got publisher of 2021 on Metacritic without having that many big games for the year so the people laughing will probably be silenced sooner or later. Buying all these developers is one thing, but getting them under Xbox, organised and making games that are ready to be published is another thing.

Look at Xbox from 2013 at the launch of Xbox One compared to 9 years later with the Series consoles. They are in a MUCH different place and a lot stronger than they were back then. From around 5 main developers to now 20+, soon to be 30+. The typical group of people will react with laugh reactions, but they will be the same ones screaming bloody murder when it happens.

M16

If they free up those cod studios cod will fall apart. Warzone is struggling hard with them all behind it already.
nah, its just that the engine wasnt designed for warzone and they didnt think it would blow the fuck up like it did. this is where warzone 2 comes in. totally new engine and will have less maintenance and headaches.

kingfey

Banned
I played Flight Sim 18 months ago
Console port. It was pc exclusive. Like how God of war pc is new as in 2022 for pc community.

Deathloop six months ago.
Different console exclusive. Port to a different console. See Octopath Traveler

So I guess they're 2022 games in the retrospective sense.
They are in the sense that I listed it to you. FF7R is still not on xbox. And doesnt have xbox date release.

Show me the document where those games were available on xbox, and I will not consider it 2021-2022 games.

Last edited:
I mean you really don't need alot. 2-3 blockbusters and 3rd party fills out the rest. Its more about having goty contender quality games every single year. Not about how many you can put out. Quality is more important.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I mean you really don't need alot. 2-3 blockbusters and 3rd party fills out the rest. Its more about having goty contender quality games every single year. Not about how many you can put out. Quality is more important.

Indeed. I think they'll be just fine this year, they haven't had a big exclusive in Q1, but that's ok. We got 2 bangers weeks apart in Q4 2021.

This year at the very least we know Starfield and Redfall are coming (unless they suffer unforeseen delays).

Motorsport is very highly being rumored as a 2022 game. Otherwise there might be another game or two that may get a 2022 release date by E3.

I wouldn't hold my breath for games like Avoewed, Everwild or Fable any time soon but Hellblade 2 I can see being later this year.

I think they are going for the netflix model of just putting out a shit ton of games and maybe one or two will go viral or be breakout hits like squid game

Papacheeks

Banned
I think they are going for the netflix model of just putting out a shit ton of games and maybe one or two will go viral or be breakout hits like squid game

I prefer HBO max and Disney Plus. Quality over quantity.

Netflix has some bangers, but they are too inconsistent with it. To me thats Xbox in a nuttshell. Obsidian, and playground are the only developer I trust with new titles and putting them out in a timely polished manner.

Top Bottom