• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Wants To Provide A 'Steady Flow Of Great Games' Moving Forward

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
IT would be really nice to see some progress from them.

Hopefully, we get to see some avowed, fable, and some starfield among others as this year's E3 or Microsoft event.( and i mean gameplay, not shitty CGI rubbish.

Also, that quake remake game that i am secretly rooting for.

I expect things to kick along nicely next year, they have had long enough.
We already have in 2021 we had flight sim, Psychonauts, halo and FH5. In 2022 we will have deathloop, redfall, starfield, scorn and likely another unnouced title.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Holy shit dude. They only have 30 + studios and over half of them have been putting out monster bangers for over a decade or more. Stop talking out of your ass. It's completely feasible for them to have a steady flow of great games. That's not including 3rd part deals and gamepass.
But isn't it nice to want things? I want to win the lottery 😅. see how that works

OceanGaming

We already have in 2021 we had flight sim, Psychonauts, halo and FH5. In 2022 we will have deathloop, redfall, starfield, stalker 2, scorn and likely another unnouced title.

UHHHHHH, should i tell?

Its bad they don't have a console exclusive for the first 6-7 months of this year. Hopefully Redfall isn't delayed like rumored.
There's a chance that it gets delayed to Q1 2023, not gonna lie. If RedFall gets daleyed though , finally they have a game for the first half of a year LMAO.

Last edited:

SSfox

Arnold Schwarzenegger Shut Up GIF by The New Celebrity Apprentice
Arnold knows
1645089381-ayato.png

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
With the number of studios and future studios they have under their umbrella, I could see them being able to do exactly this. Obviously if something goes into development hell like Halo Infinite did, they will miss.

His goal is a 1st party release every quarter (a crazy but realistic goal given how many studios are developing games for them) and he acknowledged they aren't there yet in 2022...so what? Is Sonys 1st party there yet?

Plantoid

They had a big GP release planed for first half with stalker 2 but we know what happened there,
Is undeniable that this first semester is barren, but that's not entirely a problem since we also have Elden ring which is a 200h+ game

But with redfall, deathloop, Forza, atomic heart (GP first day) STARFIELD and possible something else we don't know about yet, the rest of the year is looking good

When you consider the launch of Series consoles and the delays with Halo being a year away from its original date, I thought they might of had at least one game for the first half of 2022.

As a fan myself it feels like there is more talk about what they could potentially do than what’s delivered particularly since this guy has been in charge. If it’s not the games , it’s the development tools for Series consoles and if it’s not that, it’s something to do with things like the UI and constantly saying they are hearing feedback for it.

People will disagree, I wanted them to be more like Sony in the sense of having a studio or two with teams working on different games not just one IP. If this had happened before the acquisitions I feel we might have seen a better ending to Xbox One and a better launch window for Series.

I read that Coalition are working on something along with Gears and with the amount of studios acquired and built like Initiative I’m looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Did............did any of you expect Phil to say anything different? The way this board anthropomorphises multi-billion dollar global corporations as their ride-or-die best friends is absurd.

Neither Phil Spencer nor Jim Ryan give two wet shits about any of us beyond our willingness to keep our wallets open.

Zeroing

Banned
Did............did any of you expect Phil to say anything different? The way this board anthropomorphises multi-billion dollar global corporations as their ride-or-die best friends is absurd.

Neither Phil Spencer nor Jim Ryan give two wet shits about any of us beyond our willingness to keep our wallets open.
It’s true I just don’t understand. It’s becoming a cult like, worse than Apple’s.

What’s even weird is that most people here must not be stupid, because they sure use their brains to invent ways to defend their favorite brand but not to question it!!

kingfey

Banned
It’s true I just don’t understand. It’s becoming a cult like, worse than Apple’s.

What’s even weird is that most people here must not be stupid, because they sure use their brains to invent ways to defend their favorite brand but not to question it!!
Dont visit twitter, if you want to keep your sanity. Its much worse than here.

They would probably go well by having more frequent smaller shows like Sony and Nintendo but this interview this quote is derived from, the hosts specifically said don't expect any news on new games, he just appeared on a podcast for 3,4 minutes.

That being said, it seems like MS are going for a big E3 caliber show in June. Probably don't want to reveal new announcements before that.

Yeah I know what the appearance on Xbox Era podcast was for, but I wasn't talking about new games. Just speaking in general, they should do a better job at providing a gradual reveal of new details on games already known, announced & showcased in some way like with a CG trailer premier.

They are doing that somewhat well with Starfield, but why do we need to wait until June for at least another in-engine trailer that actually reveals a little bit of the set-up for the main story? Give a proper brief introduction to the main character or characters? Even if it's not a story-driven game (just saying that as an example), it would do well for getting a wider audience intrigued and hyped up.

A lot of what they've shown and talked of the game so far is very meta and macro-scale about the team's own vision, a few locales etc. and how they're excited to be working on it etc. Even if it's using a Bethesda template I'd like to think it's got some innovations there in terms of game mechanics, game loop structure, the way certain story elements are presented etc. and some in-game teasers from E3 last year to this June could've done a good job in gradually peeling some of that back like an onion before going with a deep dive at E3.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Games still run on 3-5 year dev cycles. Studio ownership doesn't matter, you can calculate productivity largely based on number of teams over the time-scale I just mentioned.

Reducing the number of target platforms doesn't really expedite the process because that's normally done in parallel with a significantly smaller headcount.

More than anything though, what's been proven over the years is that churning out titles is less effective than delivering single tentpole releases. Ironically I guess Activision were the pioneers of this strategy, being a massive company who's annual output is actually remarkably small numerically. A huge amount of manpower being invested in live-service support teams.

At the end of the day, the number of games coming out on Xbox isn't going to change at all. Its not like they've acquired a bunch of studios that didn't support the platform already. On the business side its much better for them as they can pipeline everything onto Gamepass without the need for negotiation/competition on buy-in cost, but other than that...

People make money from it now. Superchats and Patreons. Telling people what they want to hear can be quite profitable.

The worst ones for me are those who get the free systems and games then go around lecturing folk or calling them haters for not being positive about something they never paid a fucking cent for.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
People make money from it now. Superchats and Patreons. Telling people what they want to hear can be quite profitable.

The worst ones for me are those who get the free systems and games then go around lecturing folk or calling them haters for not being positive about something they never paid a fucking cent for.
I try to get away from it. If media can be biased I imagine “internet famous people” will be even easier to become biased.

retsof624

I'm glad that there's gonna be something to be really excited for on the Xbox side. As much as I love Playstation, I got tired of only being excited for Playstation games. Lemme get some more good Xbox games too.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
My bad I must have missed all the quality games series x has delivered aside from Forza 5 and halo infinite.

I bought one recently, I want them to deliver. They haven’t yet.
No you didn't, but fh5 and Infinite are not shit.

Lognor

Banned
Last year was great for Microsoft. They need more years like that. Maybe starting in 2023 we will see consistent releases every quarter. Not every game is going to be AAA, but I think if Microsoft gets to the point where they're able to release new content every quarter they'll be happy with that.

Top Bottom