• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox sparks dev revolt with new AI writing partnership: 'Lots of people are going to get fired, games will get worse, and C-suite will get millions'

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You're being pretty cavalier yourself if that's how you see it.
SirCC.jpg

You're making it sound like writers can just write whatever they want. In the end all that stuff gets run by the higher-ups and if they're not cool with it you won't see it in the final game.

All that shit is in there because studio and publisher executives want it to be there, and replacing the writers won't do shit to change that. AI isn't inherently un-woke. If someone wants an AI to come up with woke stories, it'll gladly deliver.
Bioware had a lot of freedom with Mass Effect and Dragon Age and it kinda all deflated the moment people left and it seems like the new Bioware is unable to write compelling stories. Despite having more writers and producers than ever before, we have more junk than ever (granted it is a classic statistics).

I see from game development - games are not running better these days despite all the tooling available. What does that mean? Talent drain.

Last edited:

Nonehxc

A5RZxRJdnwpmJZrTEMqbog-1200-80.png.webp

In a post to the Microsoft Developer blog, Xbox's general manager of gaming AI Haiyan Zhang announced a "multi-year partnership" with Inworld aimed at building "AI game dialogue and narrative tools at scale."

That's all a little vague, but Zhang gives two examples of specific tools that will come out of this partnership: an "AI design copilot" that turns "prompts into detailed scripts, dialogue trees, quests and more," as well as an "AI character runtime engine" that will allow for "dynamically-generated stories, quests, and dialogue for players to experience."

The tools generated by the Xbox/Inworld AI partnership will be optional for devs to use, but it's still a controversial topic. It was only in September that a months-long strike by Hollywood screenwriters secured protections against the use of AI writing in TV and cinema, which workers feared could lead to job losses and poorer, more generic writing across media.

Elias Toufexis— who you know as Deus Ex's Adam Jensen and Starfield's Sam Coe—decried the announcement on Twitter. "If you want to start a voice-acting career, don't bother," he wrote, adding that "All those jobs of nameless background NPCs that gave us all our start in the industry… they're all going away. I'm already bitter."

"Another fucking strike is coming,"
concluded the actor, in response to a tweet asking if videogame actors were unionised.

That was hardly an uncommon reaction. Other actors, including God of War and Genshin Impact's Shelby Young and Xander Mobus—voice of Persona 5's Joker—took to Twitter to register their discontent. "Seems like a massive waste of money and resources that could otherwise go to humans who actually craft the games we play?" wrote Mobus, noting that the quality of the content generated by AI writing bots is generally subpar compared to human-authored work.

It's not just actors upset at the news, either. Developer Rami Ismail offered up a bleak summation of the direction of the games industry and AI with the words "Lots of people are going to get fired, games will get worse, and C-suite will get millions." Jill Schar—lead narrative designer on The Lamplighters' League—encouraged fellow devs to get caught up on the SAG-AFTRA strike and its relationship to AI, noting that "Actors are the front lines right now in the struggle against corporate greed and unethical uses of AI."

So not a particularly positive reaction from the devs and actors that Xbox is ostensibly setting out to help with tools like this, which I have to say must have been very predictable a long, long time before the announcement went live on Microsoft's site. Nevertheless, massive companies seem to be as committed as ever to introducing AI into game development. I suspect Toufexis is right and we all have a long fight, and several strikes, in our future.

🤔

When the old and crusty AI 2.0 is made redundant by the new and shiny AI 3.0, will there be...

lAIoffs?

🤔

WitchHunter

Banned
Bioware had a lot of freedom with Mass Effect and Dragon Age and it kinda all deflated the moment people left and it seems like the new Bioware is unable to write compelling stories. Despite having more writers and producers than ever before, we have more junk than ever (granted it is a classic statistics).

I see from game development - games are not running better these days despite all the tooling available. What does that mean? Talent drain.
The problem lies within the selection process. There are a lot of talented people out there, but very few have the assertiveness to get into the position. How come a one man army (Syama Pedersen) created that awesome WH40K movie, Astartes? While the official, heavily waterheaded, Warhammer studios couldn't create anything enjoyable?

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
They can cry how much they want.

It's inevitable. Genie is already out of bottle and you can't put him back.
If X company will use AI during game development and lower time/budget of AAA game while Y company will refuse to use AI and will make more expensive game with higher budget then X company will be more successful. It's just how things work.

Houdini (for example) was introduced to allow developers to create huge lands of gaming space in small amount of time. Did anybody employed 100+ more devs to create this by hand instead? Nope. Nobody is that stupid. But even Houdini requires "touch" from developer after generating land. Same for MetaHuman, same for Nanite and Lumen (devs don't need to bake lighting) etc. Same here.

It's hilarious that many execs/devs are talking about game industry crash because development budgets are going up and up and when somebody introduced tech that can shorten game development/lower budgets they cry.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Imagine reading a book written by an AI.

I'm definitely not interested for obvious reasons. It goes against creativity and inspiration. This generation will suck major ass.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Capitalist corporations wanting to make money will not continue suffering the economic losses that these shitty talentless hacks keep delivering, so they'll eventually get rid of all humans writers... can't discriminate against human minorities if you don't hire any humans
So determined to own the libs you'll sacrifice all jobs and human creativity in order to make it happen. 💀 Don't cry when the robots take over your job as well.....

STARSBarry

Gold Member
People will say that it's good people are becoming redundant.

I mean from a Microsoft writer stand point... looking at their past releases its not like they could get much worse in terms of writing, so giving the AI a crack at it can't be a bad idea.

On the flipside on a purely social standpoint people loosing their jobs is awful, but I think the circumstances here is that they didn't produce anything worth keeping those jobs for a long long time, so naturally you get the "Good they deserve it" comments

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

A few random quotes does != revolt, somebody get these hacks a dictionary.

In most open world games today you hear the same background discussions over and over again as you put more hours in. AI could be a real improvement here if they could implement a system that could generate more dynamic content for background NPCs. Even if it effected nothing more than just what you hear as you walk through the game world, it could be huge.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I mean from a Microsoft writer stand point... looking at their past releases its not like they could get much worse in terms of writing, so giving the AI a crack at it can't be a bad idea.
It is unironically easier to just hire a good set of writers and let them do their thing than it would be to improve the current AI technology to ever get to a state of being able to write as well as a great writer could.

In most open world games today you hear the same background discussions over and over again as you put more hours in. AI could be a real improvement here if they could implement a system that could generate more dynamic content for background NPCs. Even if it effected nothing more than just what you hear as you walk through the game world, it could be huge.

To restate:
The issue with AI is that at the end of the day the execs make the decisions, and to a soulless CEO, the possibility of using AI to replace writers, voice actors and coders is a lot more interesting and money saving, than using it to create more fleshed out and realistic characters in an RPG.

Any good or interesting use of AI will not be used by the large corporations. You're not gonna be seeing it from indie devs either because the technology is too expensive for smaller studios to properly utilize them.

Last edited:

Phase

The problem with AI is that it assimilates based on what has come before. It's a closed circuit. Society and human nature are ever evolving and changing.

You know what are the most replaceable by AI? Executives.
I'll take the late 90's circuit.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dang. Good thing I am an engineer. I still have use compared to all these useless intellectual workers with fake jobs
/s

The problem lies within the selection process. There are a lot of talented people out there, but very few have the assertiveness to get into the position. How come a one man army (Syama Pedersen) created that awesome WH40K movie, Astartes? While the official, heavily waterheaded, Warhammer studios couldn't create anything enjoyable?
Maybe she did not apply there? That's why I welcome the arrival of AI - people who does not know how to do something, can leverage AI to achieve what they want, while using their strengths for something else.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It is unironically easier to just hire a good set of writers and let them do their thing than it would be to improve the current AI technology to ever get to a state of being able to write as well as a great writer could.

To restate:

Any good or interesting use of AI will not be used by the large corporations. You're not gonna be seeing it from indie devs either because the technology is too expensive for smaller studios to properly utilize them.

If used correctly the limitations of the tech wouldn't stop it from being valuable. AI isn't replacing any major players in the game design process at any studio that values making money, that's just some kind of bizarre fear mongering.

For background sounds though it doesn't matter if what is written is a bit stilted or not perfectly natural, the ever changing nature of it would still be a benefit, assuming that it would allow the game to constantly generate new content based on actions of the player and the state of the game world.

bigdad2007

Part of me feels bad for white collar workings losing their jobs to AI. But then I remember the same people smugly telling coal miners to become programmers like 6 or 7 years ago and then I don’t.

AI is not the end of the world. But AI still needs human input to make it a reality and need finesse to give it that human touch. Lead characters as well as certain NPC's will still need voice acting, but to fill a world full of people with unique individual stories AI is perfect for. I love the thought of talking to an NPC. Not to mention, lead characters can lend their voices for random responses for a cost and they could then make royalties. Could you imagine $0.05 in royalties for every line that's needed to be generated for a voice actor? They'd make a large profit depending on how popular a game is. They'd also be able to keep track how often users are talking to their digital avatars to see how profitable they are.

As for game writers, they could write the whole story, then lend their writing style to the developer for AI to write small individual stories and quests for NPC's. Each story could also be royalty related and honestly, could be randomly generated. No two playthroughs outside of the main quests would be the same and you could literally have your forever game.

Royalties will be huge, just like music, pay an actor an upfront cost then allow them to make royalties based on AI generation. It will balance out the use of AI in games.

Last edited:
Can’t be any worse than the writing we see in games nowadays. Could have made Forbidden West’s narrative a lot better.

There will always need to be human oversight. But if this lowers budgets and shortens dev time, cool?

"ever"?

I guess people in the 70s would have also thought chess is something computers won't ever be better than glorious humankind. Current AI has many brain fart moments, so comparing to an actual great writer it won't win right now, but compared to average people? I am not so sure there already today. So for NPCs talking some insignificant nonsense, via some AI text to speech voice actor, it is probably already okayish, with some proof reader checking it before release.

And where do you even find a good set of writers? Hardly at gaming companies. We don't even have enough actually good writers to not make the GoT final or Mass Effect final and some other beloved IPs a point of disappointment.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
No one with a straight face can tell me AI can't write better dialogue than whatever pile of pig slop we were given in Forespoken.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
AAA game space is already on a downward spiral. Soulless, expensive, cookie-cutter and take too long to make. Full of GAAS, MTX, and battle passes. It's all overdone and gamers are pretty much done with it.

Add in all of the remakes, remasters, re-releases, sequels........it's all being rehashed.

Even the top games this year are remakes or sequels. VERY few new ideas or new IP's that stood out.

Indies and AA games should thrive though. Maybe a soft reboot of the industry is coming.

Flutta

Banned
This is the end result of shitty woke DEI policies driving hiring practices, forcing companies to hire on the basis of irrelevant horseshit instead of actual competency.

Capitalist corporations wanting to make money will not continue suffering the economic losses that these shitty talentless hacks keep delivering, so they'll eventually get rid of all humans writers... can't discriminate against human minorities if you don't hire any humans

Think About It GIF by Identity
Eh who do you think trains those AI’s?
Feeling Dumb Jim Carrey GIF

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This, combined with Ybarra shitting on the very gaming/consumer community they helped cultivate, shows the true megacorp hubris as you cheer them on gobbling everything up. Then again, AI cheer on AI, oh the irony. 🤭

StueyDuck

Usual suspects on their way to defend this bs like...

hulk-jump.gif
defend what, in your brain is the only application for AI in game development taking artists and voice actors places?

Machine Learning gets used in a shit ton of 3rd party solutions already, just because they call it AI now instead there's "Defenders" and some sort of altruistic battle of good and evil.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If used correctly the limitations of the tech wouldn't stop it from being valuable. AI isn't replacing any major players in the game design process at any studio that values making money, that's just some kind of bizarre fear mongering.
And how are you so confident these greedy ceos who lay off a quarter of their workforce every 2 months will use ai "correctly"? I mean yeah, if we had the power we'd use it for making games more interactive and interesting. But that's not us at the top, it's the 1%.

I mean you can speculate on the possibilities but one outcome seems infinitely more likely than the other.

BbMajor7th

Part of me feels bad for white collar workings losing their jobs to AI. But then I remember the same people smugly telling coal miners to become programmers like 6 or 7 years ago and then I don’t.
Everyone is pragmatic about the economic benefits of automation until it comes for their jobs. I don't mind embracing it, but we're gonna need a serious shift of gears in the next few decades to adjust. The job market will keep shrinking and people can only buy shit if they have jobs, so either we look at something like Universal Basic Income or we look at unsustainable levels of unemployment and poverty.

Bellyaching about it isn't going to stop it from happening. By the way, if games using AI get worse then we will see other developers continue to use traditional methods. The market always wins in the end. I see AI being a huge benefit to smaller studios who have the capability to take advantage though. Save a ton of time and help in areas of weakness. But at the end of the day it's still up to actual humans to make sure the game is what they want it to be.

sendit

Microsoft is one of the leading pioneers of the AI industry. So, yeah, obv Nintendo or Sony will follow suit eventually, but they don't have the resources Microsoft has to utilize AI like this
You're spot on and totally right! If only Sony or Nintendo didn't have access to a wide variety of LLMs. AI is such a foreign concept to anyone but Microsoft.

StereoVsn

Physical labor is mostly safe from automation on foreseeable future. Things like plumbing, construction etc.
Humanoid robots and general autonomous robots will be around in a. Fairly short amount of time.

And not everyone wants to be a plumber, construction worker or an electrician.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Soon we'll have AI creating full games, films, TV shows, books and music.

Humanity will lose touch with its artistic side. We'll become emotionless husks begging to consume whatever the AI throws at us.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Agreed. NOBODY should be replaced by AI just for profits; I know we shouldnt be surprised that corporations dont care about people but this is going to be really bad if AI starts doing all the writing jobs

They’ll be doing more than just writing.

Metnut

This is clearly what they did for Starfield. Hopefully they learn their lesson rather than double down on AI generated empty worlds and writing.

SHA

I don't really understand how AI gonna work in the minds of investors vs real world, they clearly need a reality check, if the outcome is obviously worse, which is obviously the case, then why rely on AI from the first place? If by any means there's a monopoly from ms, God forbid, there will be no second chance from the industry and we'll enter in a deep flux situation where there is no direct competition between Sony, Nintendo and other gaming companies that supposedly in direct competition with ms.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

And how are you so confident these greedy ceos who lay off a quarter of their workforce every 2 months will use ai "correctly"? I mean yeah, if we had the power we'd use it for making games more interactive and interesting. But that's not us at the top, it's the 1%.

I mean you can speculate on the possibilities but one outcome seems infinitely more likely than the other.

Because, the AI isn't even close to being good enough to replace real writers, like you already said yourself. Sure, they can try it, but a massive failure or two will make them correct the mistake. Corporations do try to squeeze out every dollar of profit they can, but if those efforts erase the top line to start with they won't be replicated.

Top Bottom