• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Verge] Microsoft is bringing AI characters to Xbox

Kurotri

inworld_xbox_1x.png

Microsoft is partnering with Inworld AI to create Xbox game development tools for generative AI characters, storylines, and more.

Microsoft is partnering with Inworld AI to develop Xbox tools that will allow developers to create AI-powered characters, stories, and quests. The multiyear partnership will include an “AI design copilot” system that Xbox developers can use to create detailed scripts, dialogue trees, quest lines, and more.
“At Xbox, we believe that with better tools, creators can make even more extraordinary games,” explains Haiyan Zhang, general manager of gaming AI at Xbox. “This partnership will bring together: Inworld’s expertise in working with generative AI models for character development, Microsoft’s cutting-edge cloud-based AI solutions including Azure OpenAI Service, Microsoft Research’s technical insights into the future of play, and Team Xbox’s strengths in revolutionizing accessible and responsible creator tools for all developers.”
The multiplatform AI toolset will include the AI design copilot for scripts and dialogue, and an AI character engine that can be integrated into games and used to dynamically generate stories, quests, and dialogue.
Inworld has been working on AI NPCs that react to questions from a player, much like how ChatGPT or Bing Chat responds to natural language queries. These AI NPCs can respond in unique voices and can include complex dialogue trees or personalized dynamic storylines within a game. Inworld’s technology can also be used for narration, so companions in top-down RPGs can warn of groups of enemies or players up ahead.
Microsoft is only offering this as an optional tool for game developers, so it will be up to them to decide on the level of generative AI in future titles. The Finals developer Embark Studios recently had to defend against its use of AI-generated voices, arguing that “making games without actors isn’t an end goal,” in a statement to IGN.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/6/...rative-ai-developer-tools-inworld-partnership

Raven77

Good. Faster dev times, lower budgets, better bug removal, more time for testing, more time available to ACTUALLY RELEASE CREATIVE GAMES. Instead of the endless stream of samey games we get now that are buggy and broken at release.

The people worried about AI replacing everyone's job and ruining everything are the same people that were saying this about Photoshop back in the 90s. Look it up.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Im out. I dont want to play games written by fucking robots. Just like i dont want to watch baseball or football played by robots. Who gives a shit.

Dont care for these ai driven NPCs either. Why in the fuck would I waste my time talking to a fucking robot. Literally the only reason why i play RPGs with dialogue is because im hoping a good fucking writer managed to write something that would make me feel something. I dont want to talk to actual fucking AI. Im a loser who plays video games. I am not a loser who is going to spend all day talking to robots like Juaquin Pheonix in HER.

Fredrik

This is actually kind of exciting. Can't wait too see it.
Yeah, I love playing around with AI! This is going to be 1000 times better than the current old school scripted NPCs that repeat the same lines over and over.
Just don’t let them talk too freely! It needs to he somewhat guided. I saw an AI chat bot mod used in a RPG and the characters couldn’t stop talking blablablablablablablablablaaah

Robb

Gold Member
Neat. Will be interesting to see what the quality of this will be.. I’m not optimistic, but you gotta start somewhere I guess.

mdkirby

Comedy Central Mm GIF by Workaholics

can’t say I’m really excited for the proliferation of AI created content…
Ai writing, whilst not amazing, is already better than the vast majority of secondary dialogue/NPC side quest natter in most games. It doesn't need to best a top tier writer, all it needs to do is be better than the F tier writers who seem to write the droll non main quest stuff. Im pretty sure Jeff from accounting could write better dialogue than most the final fantasy 16 side quests.

Even then, by the time this actually see's practical use in a game, the quality will be a good few generations better than it is now. Use cases could include; when you walk past those 2 NPC's that hangout near the black smith chatting to each other, they won't repeat the same lines over and over, but will be responding to world events, your actions, local events, their own lives, dynamically. When you talk with them, they'll always have something new to say. The worlds they populate will suddenly become much more rich and believable. There's SO much that can be done with these tools for gaming.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As long as AI helps create stuff, it's all fine by me.

Nobody says AI will 100% replace grassroots characters built by hand. Maybe just churn out AI ideas and build on it.

No different than working in the office. Everyone who joins companies sometimes brings what they did from their old company and then tweak it for the new company. Saves time instead building stuff from scratch. I've seen VPs and directors show us templates and forms from their old company that still even had all the confidential numbers in it.... and they're like "oh just ignore the numbers".

Zannegan

Im out. I dont want to play games written by fucking robots. Just like i dont want to watch baseball or football played by robots. Who gives a shit.

Dont care for these ai driven NPCs either. Why in the fuck would I waste my time talking to a fucking robot. Literally the only reason why i play RPGs with dialogue is because im hoping a good fucking writer managed to write something that would make me feel something. I dont want to talk to actual fucking AI. Im a loser who plays video games. I am not a loser who is going to spend all day talking to robots like Juaquin Pheonix in HER.
Yikes! Check your robophobia and try again.
sarcasm, obviously, but somewhere out there this is someone's serious take, alas

A.Romero

I respect your opinion but I always thought that interacting with video games was as if I was interacting with a very dumb AI. It's not just about the dialog, it's also about the behaviour as in enemies and co-op characters. Where is the line drawn for acceptable AI?

It's inevitable for AI to flood everything and I think it will be difficult to distinguish from non AI generated content. I have tried using ChatGPT for table top RPG as a DM and it does a fairly good job. It can only improve. We are barely seeing the tip of the iceberg.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I respect your opinion but I always thought that interacting with video games was as if I was interacting with a very dumb AI. It's not just about the dialog, it's also about the behaviour as in enemies and co-op characters. Where is the line drawn for acceptable AI?

It's inevitable for AI to flood everything and I think it will be difficult to distinguish from non AI generated content. I have tried using ChatGPT for table top RPG as a DM and it does a fairly good job. It can only improve. We are barely seeing the tip of the iceberg.
I guess i view games as an art form. I would not want to read a ChatGPT version of Winds of Winter. I want to read George R.R Martin's version of it, warts and all.

I want realistic AI and behavior from enemies and NPCs, but I want that to come from an artist. not a AI. I want an artists representation of NYC in spiderman 2. Not what a robot thinks NYC looks like.

Can a robot write something this quirky, random and hilarious? Maybe. Maybe in 10 years. But I am not going to be able to enjoy it because it would feel cheap. helll, if i found out that insomniac fed this scenario to chatgpt instead of writing it themselves, it would ruin it for me. the fact that a person wrote this is whats so funny about this.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Ai characters and Story 😂 Yes Xbox, yes thats just what you need, even more fucking garbage on your platforms

AI is coming whether you like it or not. And when looking at all the trash writing in games these days it may do just fine. In terms of breaking us out of all the woke nonsense, I wouldn't count on it. AI is what you train it on and allow. IF you feed it a bunch of garbage then it will output garbage. I completely expect western gaming companies to feed it rubbish and restrict it from all kinds of ideas based on whatever is the most cutting edge popular woke bullshit. Best gaming stories will continue to come from countries where they don't give a shit about all that nonsense, like Korea, Japan, and Eastern Europe.

Top Bottom