• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X server blades are now enabled.

elliot5

So is this open to all with Ultimate?

I tried earlier today on a Mac and said I needed an invite.
Not quite yet. I imagine soon. Before E3 they said the invite period would end in the coming weeks and well.. with this I imagine an announcement is coming either this week or next.

Update on FH4... it loads quickly and may be running at 60 FPS, but it's hard to tell. Graphics look a little low res or aliased which may just be the stream quality. Dunno what the One S version looks like so I can't tell.

martino

Finally, it's here.

220px-X-Blades_Cover.jpg
i challenge you to re-release this game in 2021 :D

elliot5

Nice. I may subscribe once they launch properly for PC. I can't stand 720p on mobile.
Yeah hoping its baked into the xbox app instead of the browser for a better 1080p experience in general.

Though I will say on mobile, even if its 720p, the better encoding from XSX seems to make it not an issue anymore. It used to be blocky and laggy often whereas now there's no artifacting at all basically. Descenders just now was a little stuttery, but every other game I've tested across PC and mobile has had very clear video feedback. Stadia level visuals, though Stadia has better responsiveness in some games. It might be the downsampling from 4k or whatever to 720p stream output and better hardware encoding support clearing up the mobile streams. Sea of Thieves looked like a native mobile game with no clarity issues.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I got the 120fps mode in R6 Siege, High Resolution mode in Yakuza Like a Dragon, and the loading times on Dark Alliance is wayyy too fast for Xbox One hardware. Seemed even faster than my Series S which is weird. Playing on Edge browser on PC.

Still not as responsive for me as GFN, Stadia, or even ShadowPC. They'll get there. Having a high framerate server side makes a big difference with input latency(30fps on old XO vs up to 120fps on XSX).

Murdoch

Tried Destiny and it's deffo the upgraded FOV 60fps version. Sadly it's still nowhere near the reliability, stability and low latency of Stadia.

I'll just stick to using the Series S console. If stadia has done one thing right it's somehow finding a way to make game streaming a genuine replacement for a local machine. Everything else is just a value add.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Can anyone tell if it's actually utilizing the power of the full XSX blade, or are they using those blades to output XSS level graphics?

I was under the assumption these blades were 4 series x in one blade actually using the same hardware as the series x.

I could very well be mistaken but if they were using the same hardware seems reasonable if they are done upgrading the blades that hardware might make it to consoles now.
Oh, I thought they were just beginning the transition and would slowly change out more and more Xbox One blades with Series X blades throughout the months. I guess I could be wrong, I haven't looked much into it.

Last edited:
I saw a tease from Xbox Game Pass Twitter that judgement is getting released for game pass. Could be a possible change that it's coming to Xcloud then. I hope. No native PC port of Judgement as of yet.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I'll be curious to try this out in Australia once its out of beta. Hopefully this means they can start using their chips to get more XSX's on shelves.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Now i dont have to buy series x. Thanks Microsoft for saving me money. Just waiting for them to enable xcloud on x1s. If they do that, i wont cancel gamepass sub forever. Now I will need to save money for Switch, since that is the only thing i am lacking. Gonna take me 4 months to do it. I always wanted to play mario, but i couldnt do it, without an emulator, which is bad to play sometimes.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
My interest in Xcloud has definitely diminished since the beta. Probably due to being 10 feet away from my Xbox and PC for most of the day.

I did go to Vegas recently and kinda wished I had brought my Xbox controller so I could play on my phone while in my hotel room during downtime.

So I guess it's got it's purposes.

JackMcGunns

"For selected games"

Is there a list?

Edit, nm. That's a pretty good start

ARK
Call of the Sea
Conan Exiles
CrossCode
Dark Alliance
Dead by Daylight
Descenders
Desperados III
Destiny 2
Dirt 5
Elder Scrolls Online
For Honor
Gears 5
Gears Tactics
GONNER2
Grounded
Halo MCC
Haven
Human Fall Flat
Maneater
Minecraft Dungeons
MLB The Show
Morkredd
No Mans Sky
Ori 2
Outriders
Planet Coaster
Rainbow Six Siege
Sea of Thieves
Second Extinction
Stellaris
SoD 2
Subnautica
SUPERHOT MIND CONTROL DELETE
The Falconeer
The Touryst
The Wild at Heart
Warhammer Vemintide 2
We Happy Few
Wolfenstein Youngblood
Yakuza like a dragon
Yes Your Grace
Zombie Army 4

Last edited:

Banned
Can anyone tell if it's actually utilizing the power of the full XSX blade, or are they using those blades to output XSS level graphics?

well we have screenshots in this thread showcasing options only available on Series X.
I would assume that for specific games they will use Xbox One level or Series S level settings. games that already reach their framerate limit flawlessly on Xbox One and have no enhancements for One X or Series X|S

if there is a 120hz option people should use it. because even tho the stream only gives you a 60fps video feed, the engine of the game running at 120hz improves input latency dramatically.

Last edited:
So you can get Xbox Series X level of visuals/performance on Xbox One. That’s pretty cool. I’m waiting for them to bring xCloud to iOS/PC

h00ters

Whilst I hate the idea of streaming replacing traditional hardware that you'd put in your home.....the idea of being able to kick back for an hour or two and play some good single player games whilst waiting for a flight, in a hotel room, away on holiday etc is very appealing.

Looking forward to testing it out when the beta arrives here in Aus for something other than Android.

Just tested out a bunch of games. Looks like everything is running on Series X as far as I can tell? All the games I've tried are using them (Yakuza, Destiny, Outriders, Sea of Thieves, Rainbow Six, Destiny 2).

@Thirty7ven I booted up Stadia to try Destiny 2 because its free on there and they perform about the same. Stadia has a very small lead in terms of loading speed and latency (plus mouse and keyboard support which feels extremely responsive), but both are very very playable imo. Nothing like before with 30 fps and shit graphics on the One S blades.

Outriders runs well. Props for having deadzone customizability which helps a lot with responsiveness.

Rainbow Six has 120 fps option which feels very responsive, but the game in general is kinda clunky on controller.
Holy shit this sounds promising. Do the games run at same quality as Series X? Sorry Im new to this whole cloud gaming stuff.

angry blade GIF by BBQ Films

Getting that 120fps shot.
😂😂😂
Fucking hell you guys kill me with these gifs.

Last edited:

elliot5

Holy shit this sounds promising. Do the games run at same quality as Series X? Sorry Im new to this whole cloud gaming stuff.

😂😂😂
Fucking hell you guys kill me with these gifs.
It SEEMS like it, other than Forza Horizon 4. I think I jumped the gun and that may not be upgraded... unless I got an Xbox One instance idk.

Ori and the will of the wisps runs like a native game it is insanely responsive and beautiful.

Other games like Outriders run at 60 FPS and definitely don't look dogshit like it did before on the One S version. The games look like One X enhanced or XSX enhanced versions. It's just that you're viewing it on a small mobile screen, streamed at 720p (still, very sharp on a phone because no more artifacting) or on a browser at 1080p (?) so it's not JUST like playing it on a Series X. There is some quality lost in that conversion. Stadia Pro at 4K has an advantage here in terms of latency and stream quality. But the GAME itself looks high end.

Last edited:
It SEEMS like it, other than Forza Horizon 4. I think I jumped the gun and that may not be upgraded... unless I got an Xbox One instance idk.

Ori and the will of the wisps runs like a native game it is insanely responsive and beautiful.

Other games like Outriders run at 60 FPS and definitely don't look dogshit like it did before on the One S version. The games look like One X enhanced or XSX enhanced versions. It's just that you're viewing it on a small mobile screen, streamed at 720p (still, very sharp on a phone because no more artifacting) or on a browser at 1080p (?) so it's not JUST like playing it on a Series X. There is some quality lost in that conversion. Stadia Pro at 4K has an advantage here in terms of latency and stream quality. But the GAME itself looks high end.
Well fuck me that's incredible. Keeping an eye on this. I see myself playing Xbox games on my mobile. Not the multiplayer stuff but story driven games should be just fine I reckon.

FeldMonster

I was under the assumption these blades were 4 series x in one blade actually using the same hardware as the series x.

I could very well be mistaken but if they were using the same hardware seems reasonable if they are done upgrading the blades that hardware might make it to consoles now.

Well if they have been working on allotting stock for the servers, now those allotments can go to consoles sold to the public.
This is not completely true. Microsoft purposely planned to use "worse" chips (i.e. ones that "run hot") for the Series X cloud blades. With the additional cooling available in a datacenter, they can run the lower performing chips and increase the power (and thus the heat) to attain the same performance as the consumer units. This is not to say there will be zero conflict between demand, but significantly reduced if they had the same performance specification.

Elias

so xcloud has streaming games running at 120fps. are there any other streaming services that offer that?

SpokkX

Just tested it. At least for me (living in Norway) xCloud have the worst latency are worse picture compared to GFN and Stadia. Doesn't even come close to them, new blades or not.
I think xCloud only exists in Azures "West Europe" region right now..

That site is located in the Netherlands - That means 25-40ms latency more or less from Scandinavia right now

Hopefully they install xCloud hardware in other sites later this year (Norway East and the upcoming Sweden Central and Denmark East)

Choose the Right Azure Region for You | Microsoft Azure

Last edited:

onesvenus

I've just tried some games (sea of thieves, gears 5, Forza 7 and Doom Eternal) and they all work great from the pc browser.
I haven't tried Stadia but if it works so much better than this as some of you claim, it's a shame their business model is shit, otherwise they'd have found big success

DavidGzz

I've just tried some games (sea of thieves, gears 5, Forza 7 and Doom Eternal) and they all work great from the pc browser.
I haven't tried Stadia but if it works so much better than this as some of you claim, it's a shame their business model is shit, otherwise they'd have found big success

Excuse me sir, how are you playing on a browser?

Top Bottom