• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X - Official Xbox Smart Delivery Trailer

jakinov

I think smart delivery is a pretty bad name for this feature. It sounds like a name for a feature that lets you download only the parts of the games that you need or want or somehow saves you bandwidth by smartly delivering you games. Your games aren’t being delivered in a smarter way. It’s basically cross-buy across a generation. Not that this is much better but I think calling it either XGen, or xBuy would be more fitting, short for cross generatioN and cross buy. It doesn’t roll off the tongue but it’s more represenative of what you are getting and less misleading.

Dory16

Banned
I think smart delivery is a pretty bad name for this feature. It sounds like a name for a feature that lets you download only the parts of the games that you need or want or somehow saves you bandwidth by smartly delivering you games. Your games aren’t being delivered in a smarter way. It’s basically cross-buy across a generation. Not that this is much better but I think calling it either XGen, or xBuy would be more fitting, short for cross generatioN and cross buy. It doesn’t roll off the tongue but it’s more represenative of what you are getting and less misleading.
It smartly delivers your games (and patches/upgrades) based on your system. It doesn't have to save you bandwidth to be smart or a delivery.

Eliciel

and this is in no way going to harm the focus on the generation XSEX?
It is not going to influence the focus on the structure and the uniqueness of XSEX architecture etc?
I doubt it.

If everything is so easily scalable and you can buy 1 time and play wherever you want it basically means everything is just "scalabe".
That sounds a lot like a PC.

Last edited:

jakinov

It smartly delivers your games (and patches/upgrades) based on your system. It doesn't have to save you bandwidth to be smart or a delivery.
That's not smart. That's something super trivial to implement. The main selling point and the actual feature of this is that you buy once and own essentially a license that can be used on more than one platform not that you are being delivered the game in a smarter way. They are naming a buying/licensing feature after the trivial aspect of detecting the user's system and giving them the right files. Something that PlayStation, Occulus, Apple, Android and many websites already do and with ease. There's already a term coined for this and it's "Cross-buy" and it is already formally used by companies. I also never said it had to save you bandwidth, I said that the name makes it sound like a feature that saves you bandwidth (or lets you play early).

Dory16

Banned
That's not smart. That's something super trivial to implement. The main selling point and the actual feature of this is that you buy once and own essentially a license that can be used on more than one platform not that you are being delivered the game in a smarter way. They are naming a buying/licensing feature after the trivial aspect of detecting the user's system and giving them the right files. Something that PlayStation, Occulus, Apple, Android and many websites already do and with ease. There's already a term coined for this and it's "Cross-buy" and it is already formally used by companies. I also never said it had to save you bandwidth, I said that the name makes it sound like a feature that saves you bandwidth (or lets you play early).
If you had judged it complex enough to implement then it would have been smart. Next time they better check with you.
And since PlayStation “already does it with ease”, I bet Ubisoft and CD Projekt are being facetious when only announcing “cross buy” of their titles on Xbox.
You’re peddling falsehoods.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Cross buy isn't something new I did tht with ps battle royal from vita to ps3, also battle field and call of duty did this with free upgrade when we moved from ps3 to ps4.

Here thy go taking old shit, acting like it's new and running wuth tht PR. Like when ppl act like Psnow Doesnt exist and Xbox streaming is a revelation 😂😂😂

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
... It’s basically cross-buy across a generation...
And the reason that you had to qualify this is the reason it got its own name. "Cross buy" is between platforms. Buy Xbox version, get PC version for free. Buy PS4 version, get the PSVita version for free. This is just cross-generational - buy an Xbox version, you still just get the Xbox version, but you'll get the upgraded version that Sony sells as a "remaster" for free on your new Xbox.
"Smart delivery" describes to the no-nothing user that the game is going to deliver the right content for your console smartly.

Gamernyc78

Banned
And the reason that you had to qualify this is the reason it got its own name. "Cross buy" is between platforms. Buy Xbox version, get PC version for free. Buy PS4 version, get the PSVita version for free. This is just cross-generational - buy an Xbox version, you still just get the Xbox version, but you'll get the upgraded version that Sony sells as a "remaster" for free on your new Xbox.
"Smart delivery" describes to the no-nothing user that the game is going to deliver the right content for your console smartly.

We already had this with COD, Battle field, etc cross gen upgrades. Nothing fancy or new. My BF 4 got upgraded from ps3 to ps4 with added resolution and better graphical effects just not for free someone reminded me it was $10 and tht was on Sony consoles.

Well free is good

Last edited:

Codes 208

Cross buy isn't something new I did tht with ps battle royal from vita to ps3, also battle field and call of duty did this with free upgrade when we moved from ps3 to ps4.

Here thy go taking old shit, acting like it's new and running wuth tht PR. Like when ppl act like Psnow Doesnt exist and Xbox streaming is a revelation 😂😂😂
if you wanted the next gen upgrade of bf/cod ghosts/madden, it was actually an extra $10, not free.

noise36

Surely this is awesome?

"Lastly, some new and existing Xbox One titles will be Optimizing their games after the Xbox Series X launches. For example, if you buy *Cyberpunk 2077* when it launches on September 17, you’ll be set to explore Night City on Xbox One. If you pick up Xbox Series X at launch this holiday, you can play it there too in compatibility mode picking up exactly where you left off. Then, when CD PROJEKT RED delivers an Xbox Series X Optimized version of *Cyberpunk 2077*, you’ll automatically get upgraded once it’s available at no additional cost. "

NullZ3r0

Banned
This is exactly what happens from a technical level. If you buy the game, the best version for the console your playing on gets downloaded.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.

giphy.gif

need some more salt?

BuT MAH PlAYStATiON cCouLD Do THis WitH BATtLE FiELD

No one (intelligent) says Playstation cant do this.

ZehDon

Gold Member
We already had this with COD, Battle field, etc cross gen upgrades. Nothing fancy or new. My BF 4 got upgraded from ps3 to ps4 with added resolution and better graphical effects for free and yup tht was on Sony consoles. Stop the cappin.

Shit all semantics and Microsoft just doing their PR velocity architecture bs thy always do.
Cool, so that was a platform initiative from the platform holder with a commitment for all of their first party titles? I don't think it was - cause Sony didn't make BF4, EA did, and Sony made God of War 3 Remastered, The Last of Us Remastered, etc., and charged people for up-rezed emulated PS2 titles, while dropping support for their PS1 and PS2 digital uncatalogued.
Shits not "semantics" - shits a content initiative that means people don't have to buy XSX versions of games they already own to get the upgrades on the new console.

Dolomite

So happy that MS is leading by example with it's 1st party titles required to support this feature.

ofcourse If GTAV is not available via smart delivery and we're made to purchase the same game for a third time at full price I will burn Rockstar to the fucking ground 🙃🙃🙃

Dolomite

It is not going to influence the focus on the structure and the uniqueness of XSEX architecture etc?
I doubt it.

If everything is so easily scalable and you can buy 1 time and play wherever you want it basically means everything is just "scalabe".
I mean....the company literally makes Computer software...it's kind of thier specialty And yes it would be no different than if Spiderman Miles Morales is available on the PS4 pro via crossplay. Same engine scalable to similar architecture. This is not unlike any game running on UE engine or similar scalable software

Dolomite

More to it. Game saves are seamless. Also if it's a physical copy, you'd literally have one blue ray disk with the same game you can potentially put into 4 different mediums and play. That hasn't been done yet.

Codes 208

double edit:
Alright so that video even goes on to suggest that b/c is separate from upgrading. So people (myself a second included) saying the xbox series x version of a game will just be the xbox one sku but with upgrades are wrong.

Last edited:

Vognerful

if you wanted the next gen upgrade of bf/cod ghosts/madden, it was actually an extra $10, not free.
Man, I was sure that this was true as I remembered this. But some people here argued that "no, it was free!". I doubted myself afterwards.

Tell_men

Like the others, it’s basically mid (xb1) and high end (xbsx) gaming pc equivalent. Not ultra. Maybe xbsx2.. Choose your system and play the games in your xbox library.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
I doubt it.

It/they run on a PC OS, uses PC based GPU, CPU, memory, storage and connectors, etc etc.
I wonder if developers are hating their asses though because of all the extra work with no extra pay and with game pass potentiallly making matters worse for them on a platform with half the users.

I get what they are trying to do and it's consumer friendly.
This is business though and publishers want more and more money for various reasons.

jakinov

If you had judged it complex enough to implement then it would have been smart. Next time they better check with you.
And since PlayStation “already does it with ease”, I bet Ubisoft and CD Projekt are being facetious when only announcing “cross buy” of their titles on Xbox.
You’re peddling falsehoods.
If the actually delivery part was smart then I would think the name would be better. Nobody said they had to check with me. I simply said I think smart delivery is a bad name and explained why I thought so. You disagreed. I think the actual delivery is not so smart and that they shouldn't focus on the "delivery" part and focus on the "buy". If you disagree with that. That's fine. We don't have to agree.

Ubisoft and CD Projekt use "smart delivery" because at this point that's the official name for it right now. They aren't going to use the term that other people use. They also seemingly have marketing deals with Microsoft as well.

Xbox One and Xbox Series X is still between platforms. There's also PS3 -> PS4 cross-buy. But my point is the actual delivery part is a trivial system check and source change. Not very smart, and I think focusing on the delivery part is also dumb because the delivery part is not the value to the customer. It's the buy part.

More to it. Game saves are seamless. Also if it's a physical copy, you'd literally have one blue ray disk with the same game you can potentially put into 4 different mediums and play. That hasn't been done yet.
The saves and putting a disc in different mediums and play would be there regardless. The putting in a disc and getting an upgraded version is new (sort of, Microsoft kind of does this already in the same gen) but it's only one of the 3 scenarios outlined by Microsoft; where the other ones are basically a trivial if user is downloading and on platform XYZ give them this file instead like many stores and websites do today.

ZehDon

Gold Member
... But my point is the actual delivery part is a trivial system check and source change. Not very smart, and I think focusing on the delivery part is also dumb because the delivery part is not the value to the customer. It's the buy part...
Cool. Microsoft's marketing department disagree, as does anyone who's ever had to deal with the general public.

"XBuy: buy the game on one console, and you get it for both, but its different to backwards compatibility because there could be upgrades to one of the versions, so then you get those upgrades too, but it works across platforms too, so if you buy the PC version and there's an Xbox One version, you can get that version, and then if there is an Xbox Series X version later, you get that upgrade for free, all because of how you bought it™"
VS
"Smart Delivery: intelligent delivery of the highest quality content for whichever platform you use, free of charge™"

I know which one makes sense to most people.

Dolomite

If the actually delivery part was smart then I would think the name would be better. Nobody said they had to check with me. I simply said I think smart delivery is a bad name and explained why I thought so. You disagreed. I think the actual delivery is not so smart and that they shouldn't focus on the "delivery" part and focus on the "buy". If you disagree with that. That's fine. We don't have to agree.

Ubisoft and CD Projekt use "smart delivery" because at this point that's the official name for it right now. They aren't going to use the term that other people use. They also seemingly have marketing deals with Microsoft as well.

Xbox One and Xbox Series X is still between platforms. There's also PS3 -> PS4 cross-buy. But my point is the actual delivery part is a trivial system check and source change. Not very smart, and I think focusing on the delivery part is also dumb because the delivery part is not the value to the customer. It's the buy part.

The saves and putting a disc in different mediums and play would be there regardless. The putting in a disc and getting an upgraded version is new (sort of, Microsoft kind of does this already in the same gen) but it's only one of the 3 scenarios outlined by Microsoft; where the other ones are basically a trivial if user is downloading and on platform XYZ give them this file instead like many stores and websites do today.
I'm not seeing the issue here? MS doesn't have to reinvent the wheel to get everyone on a bicycle. Yes Sony introduced a service ..then gave up on it a few yrs later so MS perfected it

Would it be more impactful to you if Sony dedicated a smart BC Upgrade physical and digital to all of its first party IP's and strongly recommend that other developers follow suit to ease a transition in to next gen during a global recession? I'm aware that cross buy is not new, it's also currently not entirely free. Even if it is just $10 for an upgrade, I love that MS is making this free. I love that my Xbox library will span to PC, possibly mobile via Xcloud and I don't have to worry about buying the same game twice. Who cares about which company introduced what first? The Eye-Toy was years ahead of Kinect but I'm glass MS dumped that and refocused thier energy on studio purchases. Idk.... It seems like the feature should be welcomed because we'd all benefit but it's not welcomed here because it's a platform you don't support?

jakinov

I'm not seeing the issue here? MS doesn't have to reinvent the wheel to get everyone on a bicycle. Yes Sony introduced a service ..then gave up on it a few yrs later so MS perfected it

Would it be more impactful to you if Sony dedicated a smart BC Upgrade physical and digital to all of its first party IP's and strongly recommend that other developers follow suit to ease a transition in to next gen during a global recession? I'm aware that cross buy is not new, it's also currently not entirely free. Even if it is just $10 for an upgrade, I love that MS is making this free. I love that my Xbox library will span to PC, possibly mobile via Xcloud and I don't have to worry about buying the same game twice. Who cares about which company introduced what first? The Eye-Toy was years ahead of Kinect but I'm glass MS dumped that and refocused thier energy on studio purchases. Idk.... It seems like the feature should be welcomed because we'd all benefit but it's not welcomed here because it's a platform you don't support?
Nobody said they had to reinvent the wheel. I just think it's a bad name because it's not intuitive and puts too much emphasis on the delivery part which not that smart. If you see a game listed as supporting "Smart delivery" most people, wouldn't have an idea what you are actually getting.

Second part of your post is neither here or there. I never said the feature was bad, was never ripping on it for not being unique, or denying that something nice is being done. My whole stance has been that I think the name is bad.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Cross buy was/is digital only though.

This works for any game you buy; digital, disk based, etc.

It's new.. cross buy is/was cool but MS taking it and advancing it is also cool.

Not everything has to be some console war BS. The hope is Sony has something similar for PS5, which would be awesome.

Last edited:

Dolomite

Nobody said they had to reinvent the wheel. I just think it's a bad name because it's not intuitive and puts too much emphasis on the delivery part which not that smart. If you see a game listed as supporting "Smart delivery" most people, wouldn't have an idea what you are actually getting.

Second part of your post is neither here or there. I never said the feature was bad, was never ripping on it for not being unique, or denying that something nice is being done. My whole stance has been that I think the name is bad.
It's possible I misinterpreted what I read then, no biggie my bad.
Also the name is just a name. It's Microsoft, everything is either Smart this or Direct that. Buzzwords aren't leaving the industry anytime soon

jakinov

Cool. Microsoft's marketing department disagree, as does anyone who's ever had to deal with the general public.

"XBuy: buy the game on one console, and you get it for both, but its different to backwards compatibility because there could be upgrades to one of the versions, so then you get those upgrades too, but it works across platforms too, so if you buy the PC version and there's an Xbox One version, you can get that version, and then if there is an Xbox Series X version later, you get that upgrade for free, all because of how you bought it™"
VS
"Smart Delivery: intelligent delivery of the highest quality content for whichever platform you use, free of charge™"

I know which one makes sense to most people.
A company's marketing department not agreeing on something they decided to put out is not a great argument for why something is good. Of course they are going to agree because they made it. It'd be like bringing up an argument "Xbox One" and "Windows 10" were great names simply because the people who came up with it think they are great names. You are also making a big assumptions that other people dealing with the public are going to like that name too. It's not intuitive, and not representative of what the customer gets at face value.

The second part of your post is an absurd way of arguing by creating an exaggerated description one one term and deliberately making a concise one for the other. They can use any description they want for their terms. But the term "smart delivery" is not intuitive and puts too much emphasis on the part people don't care about.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I'll remind everyone that Xbox Live is the best and no one argues that it isn't, gamepass, xbox delivery, cortona etc. is just Microsoft wanting to enhance Xbox Live's legacy.

Top Bottom