• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X and S Sales Have Collapsed in Europe

IFireflyl

Gold Member
It's doing great there, don't worry

That's because if 10 Xbox consoles are sold in a month, they have tripled their userbase.

jim-ryan-laughing.gif

Monkfish877

Xbox needs a change in leadership. Spencer is leading them straight into extinction. The guy is completely clueless, under his stewardship MS first party haven't released any hits which is a damning indictment on him. You need quality exclusives to sell your console, Sony and Nintendo understand this. Somebody at MS should be doing an audit of the whole Xbox division, There's something clearly wrong there.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I would hope so, but probably not.

They keep doing things that make it less likely for you to game with their branded stuff. They are making it so the only thing you need from them is one GamePass subscription. Then everything else can be 3rd party made or made by Sony or Valve.

It's like MS doesn't realize that some people are turning their GP subs on and off throughout the year, based on games that are released.

mckmas8808

Good. Hope it falters even more. Garbage approach to success.

Buy everything, subscription services, play everything everywhere. All trash. Literally everything but simple quality exclusives.

Let the flopping continue until they get a clue.

Corporations are having a tough time understanding how much ownership matters to many people. That's why I'm glad Christopher Nolan and Del Torro said this the other day.

Nolan said at a recent “Oppenheimer” screening that it’s important to own the film on Blu-ray so that “no evil streaming service can come steal it from you.”“It was a joke when I said it. But nothing’s a joke when it’s transcribed onto the internet,” Nolan recently told The Washington Post in a follow-up interview. “There is a danger, these days, that if things only exist in the streaming version they do get taken down, they come and go,” the director added.
Streamers have become notoriously known in the last year for pulling original titles from their platforms in order to license them out elsewhere and open up potential revenue streams. When such titles are streaming-only offerings, their removal makes it impossible to view the films elsewhere. Such was the case this year with the Disney+ movie “Crater,” for instance. The streaming-only family adventure was pulled from Disney+ in June and could not be viewed anywhere until it was reissued as a digital release months later in September. For Nolan, owning physical media is the only way to combat such streaming trends.

Guillermo del Toro agrees, having shared Nolan’s recent quotes on X (formerly Twitter) and adding his own commentary on the issue. “Physical media is almost a Fahrenheit 451 (where people memorized entire books and thus became the book they loved) level of responsibility,” del Toro wrote to his followers. “If you own a great 4K HD, Blu-ray, DVD etc etc of a film or films you love…you are the custodian of those films for generations to come.” Nolan previously said that he has spent months preparing “Oppenheimer” for home release so that the Blu-ray version of the film sounds and looks as pristine as the film’s theatrical release.

“Obviously ‘Oppenheimer’ has been quite a ride for us and now it is time for me to release a home version of the film. I’ve been working very hard on it for months,” Nolan said. “I’m known for my love of theatrical and put my whole life into that, but, the truth is, the way the film goes out at home is equally important.” “‘The Dark Knight’ was one of the first films where we formatted it specially for Blu-ray release because it was a new form at the time,” he continued. “And in the case of ‘Oppenheimer,’ we put a lot of care and attention into the Blu-ray version… and trying to translate the photography and the sound, putting that into the digital realm with a version you can buy and own at home and put on a shelf so no evil streaming service can come steal it from you.”

Microsoft's heavy focus on GamePass in the long term is BAD for consumers, because the ultimate goal is to get away from YOU the consumer from actually owning the content. "They" don't want us to own it. They want us to rent it forever and to pay them small amounts per month over 20 years.

Last edited:
Why only focusing in Europe? Asia is basically non-existent. It's decreasing like hell in the USA as well.

Also

We hear this every damn generation. And yeah...5 more years waiting for the next Xbox will be...something considering how it's selling 3 years in.

By then you'll see plenty of 3rd party publishers, specially asian ones dropping the console. Xbox can pay all they want but can they sustain 5 years of payola for multiplatform games to release on their platform like that? By 2028 PS5 will be at way above 100M. Xbox will be lucky to even be at 40 or 50M judging how sales are stalling.
Calm down darling, You'll get all the numbers you desire 🤣

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
They just have to keep trucking along. PS5 clearly has the mind share and market dominance. At this point, for this generation, MS will have to settle for being a secondary option in a lot of households. At this point they have not released enough software outside of Halo, Gears, and Forza to stick that just yet. Starfield alone might not be enough to get a PS5 owner to pickup a Xbox, but as they start to add to that and all the other studios start to release more console exclusive software it will be Starfield, Plus Indiana Jones, plus all the other games coming etc. things will look better. Maybe those Sony users start to realize the value proposition offered by Xbox/GP and make a different choice next time around.
Part of the problem is IMHO that what you have said, even if it may seems logical, don't really work for 2 reasons.

One, is that, maybe because of higher social security, we don't care as much about value, at least in gaming. I don't want cheaper games, I want better experiences. I understand that a Series S would allow me to have a lot of fun for cheap, but a PS5 will allow me to play all of the exclusives that I love from Sony in decades. AND all third parties games, unless Microsoft have made deals against it. AND whatever bonus Sony did that for some reason Xbox did not, like the Dualsense this generation. Of course, if enough games are there, and a lot of mega hits in the future are happening more in Xbox than on Playstation, I will look. But that would mean 1 or 2 generations at least. Why would I look at a Series X when my PS5 is giving me so many great games? The brand is strong because of decades of success. I know that having a Sony console means having great single player games that I like. Unless that change, I have no reason to look elsewere.

This is the second reason: Being last is not a good place. You know what you get with Playstation. You know that too with Nintendo. But with Xbox? Why try something else when what you have work well? This is not a dig against Xbox. The 360 worked well in Europe, because they got games and advantages like the better online. If they can do that again, they will gain marketshare. But the time lost will be hard to recover. One advantage that Nintendo has on Sony and Xbox is their IPs. Outside of printing money machines like Pokemon and Mario, they have a lot of known IP that they can use that have an audience. Sony is not at that level, but stuff like Uncharted and GOW will always find gamers, as long at the game is good of course. By not having done that work, they will need to work even harder to get on track. Look at let's say Scalebound, and compare it to a game lie Ghost of Tsuchima. If Scalebound managed to work and sell well, a sequel would probably be out around now. Because Ghost of Tsuchima had that success, we will probably have a sequel. That is 2 to zero. 1 game that I loved, and one that I am certain, unless a disaster happen , that I will love in the future. Because Spiderman was good, Spiderman 2 was expected. As I am not playing Xbox games this generation, I can't be expecting anything from them in the next one too. So even if a good game like Hi fi rush happen, I don't care that much, because I am playing GOW Ragnarok, then Resident Evil 4...

Just in case, of course Xbox have some good arguments for it. But the PS5 too. Even if they were equals, familiarity with the Playstation ecosystem would make me prefer it. For next gen, I will naturally look at what will Xbox offer. But I know that unless Sony make a big mistake, they will have my money first, and ony if Xbox had a really good offer will I think about buying a Xbox. So Xbox would need 2 generations to win me over. Not because they suck or something like that. But because they failed for 2 generations to be what I want: the best place to play. The PS4 was the best place to play games. For me, the PS5 is doing a lot of the same. Sorry for the long answer, but the subject is fascinating. How we see gaming completely differently because(I think) you got a 360 and I a PS3.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
you can't do that. 64gb isn't being sold anymore, it's been replaced by the LCD 256gb at the same price of 400 dollars.

Moreover he specified Deck OLED which starts at 550 for the cheapest model.
Buy the 256GB and put an 1TB nvme. Less than $500.

Last edited:
Xbox needs a change in leadership. Spencer is leading them straight into extinction. The guy is completely clueless, under his stewardship MS first party haven't released any hits which is a damning indictment on him. You need quality exclusives to sell your console, Sony and Nintendo understand this. Somebody at MS should be doing an audit of the whole Xbox division, There's something clearly wrong there.

I don't think he is clueless.

I think he was dealt a bad hand and he has played the hand poorly.

When Nadella took over, he had to promise something to keep Xbox alive and that was a subscription service and cloud expansion. Nothing else was other than maybe taking Xbox mobile and leaving consoles was going to do it.

The problem is that a subscription model is the antithesis of console gaming and as a non-market leader they had to go at it very aggressively. Sony can put little effort in and match GamePass numbers, but almost certainly are more profitable.

I think people underestimate how long it takes to build out a studio. It's why Sony has closed a few studios including Japan Studio.

Sony's been at this much longer than Microsoft. All Microsoft cared about was Halo and 3rd party games until fairly recently. Sony who used to have a fairly weak first party has been boosting their first party since the early 2000s and this is when studio creation and management was easier. The games weren't nearly as expensive to produce.

Microsoft has to do this when games cost the most and the pressure for delivery is the highest. It's a bad formula for them. They're also restricted by what they can do with contractors I believe.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Xbox desperately needs momentum in order to stop the rot. With Activision Blizzard in tow, Microsoft’s gaming ambitions are significantly stronger. But it may not be until 2028, when Microsoft is reportedly set to launch its next-generation console, before Xbox makes its console comeback.
The problem with Xbox isn't the current console. It is a very capable machine on par with the PS5. The problem with Xbox is overall direction and philosophy. Unless that changes, they can release all the consoles they want, the results will be the same.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Microsoft has to do this when games cost the most and the pressure for delivery is the highest. It's a bad formula for them.
Microsoft also is one of the richest companies in the world and their entire company are facing year over year record profits. Sony in comparison isn't even worth what MS was a decade ago... the games are still coming, though. MS should definitely use some of those resources to BUILD some god damn talent instead of buying it, but that would require someone with brains at Xbox leadership.

Last edited:
Microsoft also is one of the richest companies in the world and their entire company are facing year over year record profits. Sony in comparison isn't even worth what MS was a decade ago... the games are still coming, though. MS should definitely use some of those resources to BUILD some god damn talent instead of buying it, but that would require someone with brains at Xbox leadership.

Microsoft isn't all in when it comes to video games. It's a tiny part of their business.

Recruitment is slow and development is slow. Microsoft is running out of time. It's a resource you can't buy.

mckmas8808

The problem with Xbox isn't the current console. It is a very capable machine on par with the PS5. The problem with Xbox is overall direction and philosophy. Unless that changes, they can release all the consoles they want, the results will be the same.

BOOM! Some people may not like PSVR2 or PS Portal, but they are two devices that Sony has made that makes gaming on your PS5 that much better and more interesting. MS has openly stated that they have no interest in their Xbox consoles getting a 3rd party VR added to it and also don't seem to want to help their console out with a GamePass cloud machine.

Both PSVR2 and Portal are accessories that give Sony profit on each hardware sold at launch, but also keeps engagement on the PS5 console higher. It's Sony's philosophy and ability to make great games that make their consoles attractive.

Microsoft isn't all in when it comes to video games. It's a tiny part of their business.

Recruitment is slow and development is slow. Microsoft is running out of time. It's a resource you can't buy.

MS is all in when it comes to video games. They always were. They just aren't great at it. The X360 didn't happen on accident. Maybe MS is too "all in" at the moment by pushing subscriptions too hard.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
I am European and own a Series S. Decent device with excellent backwards compatibility, but how little can Microsoft give a shit about anything here? For fuck's sake, most of the console's interface seems to be Bing-translated. And don't bother with the Store page on your device, you'll see tons of ads for movies and deals for stuff that isn't even available here. I was surprised to see Anime TV/Movie Month on the store, only for it to error out when you browse to it.

Aion002

Why the fuck would anyone buy a console with zero exclusive games?
This.

If they don't make at least a few Xbox only games, things won't change.

Xbox games being day one on pc makes the Xbox less valuable even for people that doesn't play games on pc. The idea that you need to buy the consoles to play some games makes it more desirable to a lot of people (yes, it's idiotic, but it is what it is).

Maybe for MS selling less consoles isn't an issue and is part of the plan, since it seems that they're pushing gamepass more than Xbox these days. Which...

bold GIF

MacReady13

I could just be in the minority on this thought, but not only did Microsoft lose me big time with the focus on Kinect during the tail end of the 360 but, they lost me even more with their focus on game pass. They lost focus on what made the OG Xbox and 360 such brilliant machines- the fucking GAMES! Even their 3rd party "exclusives" were generally of better quality than their competitors and it was a pleasure playing games on the 360. Now, it seems if the game doesn't launch on game pass plenty of Xbox "fans" will not buy the game.
It's such a sad fall from grace. 360 (before Kinect) was my fav console of all time. Their focus on a subscription service over releasing quality games is so very disappointing to me. Microsoft seem to want billions of players to play on game pass yet Nintendo and Sony are content (and making profits) with over 100 million playing games on their consoles. Imagine if Microsoft focused on their consoles and quality games, they might be in a different position...

Xbox 360 was huge in Europe.

Too bad they fucked up the most important generation of all, the one after 360.

I think that's a bit simplistic and I know that Phil Spencer has said this, but the advent of online gaming on console is really more important.

People who have gamertags dating back to OG Xbox and 360 are going to be hard sellers to move to PlayStation.

I'd argue that the PS3/360 generation was the most important and the only reason why Xbox still exists today. I don't know how much people care about their digital library of games. I don't think people largely play old catalog games, especially SP games, and when it comes to MP games these games largely exist as platform agnostic.

StereoVsn

Why only focusing in Europe? Asia is basically non-existent. It's decreasing like hell in the USA as well.

Also

We hear this every damn generation. And yeah...5 more years waiting for the next Xbox will be...something considering how it's selling 3 years in.

By then you'll see plenty of 3rd party publishers, specially asian ones dropping the console. Xbox can pay all they want but can they sustain 5 years of payola for multiplatform games to release on their platform like that? By 2028 PS5 will be at way above 100M. Xbox will be lucky to even be at 40 or 50M judging how sales are stalling.
Yep, and the value proposition for 3rd parties rushing to adopt to Xbox New, especially if it launches years ahead of PS6, are zero. In the interim they have to figure out how to do parity between Series S all the way through PS5 Pro.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
One of the most embarassing things i've seen in the history of gaming. Getting outsold by a niche, bordering on useless peripheral.
I still haven't been able to wrap my mind around the super-positive reviews and general acceptance of Portal. It seems like we really underestimated Portal.

Top Bottom