• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S Won’t Apply Xbox One X Enhancements, Microsoft Confirms

WakeTheWolf

I mean I expected this. It does worry me that devs are saying its an issue but I just hope they think about the potential install base. There is going to be a lot of casuals that will eat up this machine.

I was too at one point but then thought of how much internal storage it has which isn’t really much for many Gamepass games ( 8-10 games if you average them at 50/60GB’s , some less some more depending on the game size ).
Then you would have to think about buying the proprietary storage which is probably not going to be cheap and by that point you might as well just go all in and get all the benefits of the XsX.
For all current and previous gen games, you can just connect your external HDD or SSD and run them from there.
The NVMe gen4 SSD is needed only for next gen games.

A.Romero

If you are planning to get a PS5 or XSX obviously the XS is not for you. Just like the Wii wasn't aimed to people playing games on 360 and PS3.

It will obviously have limitations comparing to the high end offerings but will a allow a lot of people that can't afford something more expensive to enjoy gaming.

Seriously, I don't get what's wrong with some of you. More options, more people gaming, the market grows, more investment, more games... Microsoft made a good decision and completely aligned to what their strategy is. People back then didn't really cared Wii ports were running at a lower resolution or didn't have surround sound or whatever. They won't care now.

If you are playing on PS5 or PC, the XS means nothing to you.

Reindeer

And why there is that no game on a PC with similar specs to the PS4 can match that level?
Because Sony devs are the leading devs in the industry when it comes to graphics and they don't release on PC? Just look at Death Stranding, a game made on Sony engine that runs like butter on PC. Comparing Sony exclusives that haven't released on PC as some kind of measurement stick is not a proof of anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon Neu

Banned
Because Sony devs are the leading devs in the industry when it comes to graphics and they don't release on PC? Just look at Death Stranding, a game made on Sony engine that runs like butter on PC. Comparing Sony exclusives that haven't released on PC as some kind of measurement stick is not a proof of anything.

It's a proof that a console has a perfomance advantage over a PC with the same specs.

To surpass the graphical level of TLOU2 on PC you need a more powerful PC and mods.

I hate people like you.
I have every MS console at home and want to have an honest discussion without being called a troll or fanboy.
Why I thought "The Medium" wouldn't run on the XSS? Because the developer released a long statement saying this game can only be realised on the XBox Series X.

Now I know better. Thanks to people who take some time to talk normally with me. In a nice way.
Unlike you.

Grow up and learn to have a calm and honest discussion.
You know what's just as bad as trolls and fanboys? Overacting fans who act like dramatic console defenders who don't even care to bring any points and jump to denounce other people right away.
First of all you should have looked at microsoft's video presentation of series S, if you were genuinely interested.
Trying to get your facts out of a trolling forum is not the best idea.

Anyway, here you go:

and you can even try to watch the entire thing from the start if you like

Last edited:

Reindeer

It's a proof that a console has a perfomance advantage over a PC with the same specs.

To surpass the graphical level of TLOU2 on PC you need a more powerful PC and mods.
Lol. RDR2, Doom, Death Stranding, Metro Exodus and other top looking games run just fine on GPUs from 2012-2013. RDR2 is the most demanding game this gen and if it can run on those GPUs then anything else can.

Three

did it cross anyone's mind that they don't want to fuck around making changes to native 4k games, before the concern trolling? 🤡

Everything is just concern trolling now. Well that excuses it then I guess. They should fuck around making changes to native 4k games for the series S but don't you dare fuck around making One X enhancements available on series S.

The sad part about the xbox series S not even being compatible with the One X version of games is that nobody is going to bother at all with One X enhancements very soon. It's a discontinued console with the smallest ever install base. Who is going to give a shit if Series S is not compatible? I hope the people who spent $499 in 2017-18 are happy with one of the shortest lifespan consoles around and all them uncompressed pixels.

I am a Sony fanboy and I honestly dont understsand this kinda criticism.

It was meant to be weaker in order to be Very cheap for the most casual consumers (momies getting for their 12 years old kid)

It could still be a good deal even for more hardcore players who want to take advantage of gamepass for a cheap price.

It doesnt make sense demanding high performance for a 299 platform. But If Sony manage to announce the DE for 399, MS could be in trouble as SERIES S would only have market as secondary console, since people Will want to throw Just 100 more to get spiderman and a more powerfull console.
Gasp... Rational thought... Gasp.... I thought it was extinct on these threads, lol. Right now my boys are playing Minecraft together on two different tvs. One is a 4k tv, one is a 1080P. I can't justify dropping $500 to play on a 1080P tv, but $300 is more appealing, especially for the games my boys play. I think a lot of people are missing the amount of people that fall into this market.

RaySoft

But I think this is kind true.
They can achive that, the games just needs to be downgraded as much as possible to make it run with 1440p@60FSP.
Maybe the games will look ugly or like last-gen games but with 1440p@60FPS.
I mean look at Halo Infinite it's 4k@60FPS! What else you need ? This is next-gen baby.
So the Series S is a console exclusively running UE5 games?
Because geometry of objects usually don't change on ports, and you can only turn off/dial back as many effects.
This is an official statement from MS, that this box WILL play NEXT-GEN games at 1440p/60 fps. I call false advertising, but that's just me.
Let's see in 2 years. Good luck champ!

Edit: That champ reference was aimed at MS, not keram. (sry)

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Xbox Series S is about market blanketing, not delivering a product to the consumer. You'll have an S for a while, and eventually want an X or whatever the halfstep after will be.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Ok, this is turning out very confusing. Which is not particularly promising.

Last edited:

FStubbs

If you are planning to get a PS5 or XSX obviously the XS is not for you. Just like the Wii wasn't aimed to people playing games on 360 and PS3.

It will obviously have limitations comparing to the high end offerings but will a allow a lot of people that can't afford something more expensive to enjoy gaming.

Seriously, I don't get what's wrong with some of you. More options, more people gaming, the market grows, more investment, more games... Microsoft made a good decision and completely aligned to what their strategy is. People back then didn't really cared Wii ports were running at a lower resolution or didn't have surround sound or whatever. They won't care now.

If you are playing on PS5 or PC, the XS means nothing to you.

Who is the Series S aimed for?

WakeTheWolf

You get what you pay for. Who in there right mind wouldn’t pay $100 more for a PS5 digital system !?

Not me. I don't find the PS5 nor exclusives that appealing. I do however find the game pass to be amazing value in an industry where games are creeping up to $70 a pop.

Last edited:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sorry but are we saying it doesn't run X games at 1440p but runs the Xbox One S version instead @ 1440p???

Last edited:

Spokker

Series S by default should run them at higher fps thanks to Ryzen 2 and faster load thanks to SSD, but without 4k resolution. So you not getting 4k resolution of One X but everything else you will get.
If the game is already capped at 30 FPS and maintains that on Xbox One S, it'll run at the same 30 FPS on Xbox Series S.

When it comes to backwards compatibility on Series S, no, you won't get everything else that Xbox One X has. For example, Rise of the Tomb Raider had 3 modes, a high resolution mode, a higher frame rate mode and a high quality mode. You only get one "mode" on Series S, the Xbox One S version of the game.

I think that this news makes the Series S a less attractive system, and if backwards compatibility is important, it would be better to save up for a Series X.

Spokker

Sorry but are we saying it doesn't run X games at 1440p but runs the Xbox One S version instead @ 1440p???
No, playing an Xbox One game on Series S is almost the same as playing it on an Xbox One S with marginal improvements on a game by game basis simply by virtue of running on more powerful hardware. If a game runs at 900p on Xbox One S, it'll run at 900p on Xbox Series S.

Sort of like running an Xbox One game that has no One X patch on Xbox One X.

Last edited:
Oh well. I seriously doubt the casuals the Series S is going to mainly attract care about One X Enhancement modes in the first place; if they were critical about it being there they'd be more along the core/hardcore types who are gonna swing for Series X over Series S (if they're considering picking up a MS console).

If the game is already capped at 30 FPS and maintains that on Xbox One S, it'll run at the same 30 FPS on Xbox Series S.

When it comes to backwards compatibility on Series S, no, you won't get everything else that Xbox One X has. For example, Rise of the Tomb Raider had 3 modes, a high resolution mode, a higher frame rate mode and a high quality mode. You only get one "mode" on Series S, the Xbox One S version of the game.

I think that this news makes the Series S a less attractive system, and if backwards compatibility is important, it would be better to save up for a Series X.

For core/hardcore gamers keen on BC this could potentially make Series S a less attractive value, but for the casuals and mainstream gamers who simply want to get into next-gen cheaply (or hardcore/core gamers who may be forced to go a cheaper route at start for financial reasons), I don't think it negatively changes anything for them.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
When I saw the "unboxings" yesterday, and that 120fps gow 5, in addition to being told the SS is at least as if not more powerful than the One X with modern tech, I admit I played with the idea of getting one since it'll at least replace my One X and have all X enhancements.

But this has definitely killed it for me. Keeping the One X is better.

Spokker

Oh well. I seriously doubt the casuals the Series S is going to mainly attract care about One X Enhancement modes in the first place; if they were critical about it being there they'd be more along the core/hardcore types who are gonna swing for Series X over Series S (if they're considering picking up a MS console).

For core/hardcore gamers keen on BC this could potentially make Series S a less attractive value, but for the casuals and mainstream gamers who simply want to get into next-gen cheaply (or hardcore/core gamers who may be forced to go a cheaper route at start for financial reasons), I don't think it negatively changes anything for them.
Or maybe you had a One X, fell on hard times, and can't afford a Series X right away. This news does change your thinking on whether to get a Series S or save up for a Series X.

Garjon

Yeah the more I read about this the more I feel like this is a half step console, not fully fledged next gen. As the next gen goes on and big publishers say they want to push the envelope with their games, the XSS will show it's inferiority in terms of resolution and/or FPS: that's fine if you don't care about those things but for the average person on here, that is a red flag. In all seriousness, unless you're financially constrained you really may as well opt for a XSX any day, especially when you consider the cost of more storage. Though if you're that financially constrained I don't know why you wouldn't stay current gen for at least another year or more. I expect the XSS to do very well because people love a shiny new thing at an affordable price point, but I think that once the dust settles, there'll be more dust settling on many XSS consoles.

Bobnob

You Xbox One X barely has better trade value than a regular PS4.
I can get £220 trade in at game now, I hope its value holds up as I'll be trading it in on the day before series x launches, if I can get around £160 I'll be happy.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
While the devs are allowed to complain about machines being hard to develop for, I think they will need to face the reality and work with what they have if they want to make money.

Some of the devs complaining seem to get too personal. There is a reason you are a dev and not part of the company that makes the hardware. If you think you can make a better console, go make one and try to compete.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
When I saw the "unboxings" yesterday, and that 120fps gow 5, in addition to being told the SS is at least as if not more powerful than the One X with modern tech, I admit I played with the idea of getting one since it'll at least replace my One X and have all X enhancements.

But this has definitely killed it for me. Keeping the One X is better.

Is it though? Depends on your tv, and how far you sit.

Also you will not get: Much faster load times, and future compatibility, ray tracing
What you might get in exchange: 4k resolution games, less cost?

TLZ

Banned
Is it though? Depends on your tv, and how far you sit.

Also you will not get: Much faster load times, and future compatibility, ray tracing
What you might get in exchange: 4k resolution games, less cost?
I still wouldn't trade in my X for a lesser experience. I thought at least on par, yes. But definitely not backwards.

Spokker

People hating on Series S are the same people who purchased a Pinto and expected Ferrari performance.
They also probably call themselves PC master race using a laptop that lags with Doom 2 with gzdoom.
This analogy doesn't work because the Xbox Series S is more powerful than the Xbox One X. What's stopping Xbox One games from using One X enhancements on Series S is two measely gigs of RAM. The One X version expects 12 gigs of RAM and we don't know how it'll react when it sees 10. The game would have to be specifically patched for Series X to accommodate that, and I imagine it's not cost effective to do so.

One X games do not have to be modified for Series X because everything the patch needs is there and then some.

My understanding is that if the game was not designed for or patched to run on the Xbox Series S/X, it runs the Xbox One S version. Remember, if there's a Series X version, there's a Series S version.

Some Xbox One games need more time to get them ready for Xbox Series S/X. For example, Cyberpunk comes out in November for One S/X and 2021 for Series S/X.

If you stick that game into your Series X in November, you'll get the One X enhancements. But if you stick it into your Series S, it'll look like an Xbox One S game.

When the free upgrade is released in 2021, the Xbox Series S version will presumably be much improved.

Last edited:
Seems like the Series S is at most a slight improvement over the One X, at worst, less performant than the One X (at least the RAM bottleneck Devs are bitching about the most). CPU side is an upgrade any way it's spun. Give and take I guess.

One X (6TF) > Series S (4TF)?

Last edited:

BC is there but if u want 4k BC then you need X. Target audience not gonna care of BC games not being 4k.

Thats said you will get by default hardware enhancements like better high frame in games with unlocked frame rate and fast load times while applying improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and HDR.

Go read details released by MS

nikolino840

So basically

4K 120fps = Xbox Series X
4K 60fps = Xbox One X

1080P/1440P 60/120fps = Xbox Series S
720p/900p 30/60fps = VCR Xbox One/S

tenor.gif
With raytracing ssd and the secret sauces vrs and sample feedback

Kimahri

Banned
I wish we could just stop. Just stop and enjoy all the fantastic games out there. We don't need prettier games out there. Just fucking look at Last of Us 2. It's just mind blowingly gorgeous, and it's on current gen. How much do some of you people need?

Isn't great games enough? Do they always have to push some abstract graphical borderline?

It's all so nonsensical to me. I love PlayStation, it gave me WipeOut, some incredible Final Fantasies and many more journeys. I love Xbox. They gave me Halo, Otogi, Lost Odyssey and many more. I love Nintendo, because come on, who doesn't. I also love PC, because real time strategy is my jam.

Enjoy this glorious hobby ffs. Stop nitpicking over bullshit that doesn't bloody matter.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Let's be honest, if you own the XBox One X you were never upgrading to the Xbox Series S. It is the Series X or bust. If you are looking at Next Gen games the cheap price and monthly pricing plan will be an incredible incentive for those wanting to jump into next gen on a budget. Today's news means shit. I'm PS5 day one but when the Series S gets a deep discount I'll get it for the Xbox exclusives on the cheap (gamepass for a month or 3)

Top Bottom