• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S Won’t Apply Xbox One X Enhancements, Microsoft Confirms

Marlenus

Not a chance. Microsoft Flight Simulator, the only next gen game available, only runs at 1080p30 on medium settings on 5500XT (Series S equivalent GPU). This is a 1080p60 box at best and likely 1080p30 once games become more demanding. 1440p60 is a pipe dream for anything other than cross-gen, indie and eSports titles.

To be fair Flight Sim is really heavy on GPUs and 30fps for that game would be fine.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Personal?

I'm just pointing out how you mask your lack of argumentation with gifs all the time (to make fun of people's opinions, yet somehow I'm the one making it personal!). That's nothing personal neither tough, it's just an observation based on what you just did right now.

Maybe if you put forth sound arguments instead your typical lines in the sand projection of, "only this side does it and here is why, oh and lazy devs," it would be more worthy of engagement beyond a gif.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
So they see the generational leaps as 'enhancements' eh ... So, on the PS5 you're going to
giphy.gif

If you pause that gif just as the mic goes out of view, it's no a good look ...

Vawn

Banned
I hate people like you.
I have every MS console at home and want to have an honest discussion without being called a troll or fanboy.
Why I thought "The Medium" wouldn't run on the XSS? Because the developer released a long statement saying this game can only be realised on the XBox Series X.

Now I know better. Thanks to people who take some time to talk normally with me. In a nice way.
Unlike you.

Grow up and learn to have a calm and honest discussion.
You know what's just as bad as trolls and fanboys? Overacting fans who act like dramatic console defenders who don't even care to bring any points and jump to denounce other people right away.

Amen

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
I hate people like you.
I have every MS console at home and want to have an honest discussion without being called a troll or fanboy.
Why I thought "The Medium" wouldn't run on the XSS? Because the developer released a long statement saying this game can only be realised on the XBox Series X.

Now I know better. Thanks to people who take some time to talk normally with me. In a nice way.
Unlike you.

Grow up and learn to have a calm and honest discussion.
You know what's just as bad as trolls and fanboys? Overacting fans who act like dramatic console defenders who don't even care to bring any points and jump to denounce other people right away.
Calm down Greta

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
BrVzgUzA8lJ7XTRtcoJ7Tepj_AZhloP9gvvrT3DN4GHRoiJnGxNtgdBzDwZYE_KwJkfn6VzoaUiy2V0K_DkpSiEpCIDXJXZikU0UM_NSimO9XJ30AJBvdiyE18xOUFRX_MlzkQhPxg

This is a 1998 Grand Marquis
215 Horsepower
4.6 liter 8 cylinder

AwesomeAmazingGreat-2015-Honda-Civic-4dr-CVT-EX-4dr-CVT-EX-Sedan-CVT-Gasoline-1.8L-4-Cyl-Taffeta-White-2017-20182018-201920172018.jpg

This is a 2015 Honda Civic
146 Horsepower
1.8 4 cylinder

I'm guessing the car with the more horsepower and bigger engine is faster in the 0-60 and the 1/4 mile?

oagboghi2

No big deal for the target audience of XSS, i am almost certain 🤷‍♀️

We need to stop viewing things through our rose tinted GAF eyes
Ah yes, the only thing that matters is MS quarterly reports 😂

Will be a much bigger deal here than for the Fifa/COD/Madden/Fortnite target group that don't give a shit about BC. Guess 10 pages in a few hours are possible.
You mean the crowd that will be buying a PS5

Last edited:

Reindeer

To be fair Flight Sim is really heavy on GPUs and 30fps for that game would be fine.
It's pretty much what next gen games would require. Remember, Flight Sim doesn't even have anything going on besides textures and plane physics. It's unreasonable to think that a 5500XT equivalent GPU will get anything above 30fps on next gen games.

Jon Neu

Banned
Not a chance. Microsoft Flight Simulator, the only next gen game available, only runs at 1080p30 on medium settings on 5500XT (Series S equivalent GPU). This is a 1080p60 box at best and likely 1080p30 once games become more demanding. 1440p60 is a pipe dream for anything other than cross-gen, indie and eSports titles.

You're forgeting that a console is not a PC. The SSD and the Velocity Architecture are going to make the Xbox consoles punch above their weight.

Maybe if you put forth sound arguments instead your typical lines in the sand projection of, "only this side does it and here is why, oh and lazy devs," it would be more worthy of engagement beyond a gif.

But the funny thing is that, from my perspective, I'm the one putting sound arguments all the time while you are just low key console warring with reaction gifs meant to mock people and one liners. It's like if you were afraid of saying too much because then your bias and your lack of actual points would be too obvious.

And you're behaviour isn't exclusive as to when you talk with me, we rarely even talk in the first place. So that's hardly an excuse.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But the funny thing is that, from my perspective, I'm the one putting sound arguments all the time while you are just low key console warring with reaction gifs meant to mock people and one liners. It's like if you were afraid of saying too much because then your bias and your lack of actual points would be too obvious.

And you're behaviour isn't exclusive as to when you talk with me, we rarely even talk in the first place. So that's hardly an excuse.

Exactly. :messenger_ok:

Last edited:
Sounds like it will still be better than the S but not what the X does. Its a little confusing how its worded. Mentions better frame rates and hdr at the end. Maybe they just mean its not 4k? Kind of hard to tell.

So it enhances everthing except resolution?

*Shrug*
Enhancements aren't just limited to resolution, though.

Fallout 4 has further draw distances and a few more graphical improvements. Shadows of War has 4K textures (significantly better than PS4 Pro and Xbox One), Agents of Mayhem shows more pedestrians and traffic, ARK looks significantly better on the X. Assassins Creed Origins has twice the draw distance compared to Xbox One, Dishonored 2 the same as before. If you are into Elder Scrolls Online then you are also downgrading when you play on Series S.

The list goes on.

But overall it's not many games that have proper enhancements, but still... it is disappointing.

Reindeer

You're forgeting that a console is not a PC. The SSD and the Velocity Architecture are going to make the Xbox consoles punch above their weight.
This is a myth in regards to current consoles that are exact replicas of PCs, it was only true for past consoles that had exotic hardware. GTX 680 (2012 GPU) with only 2GB Ram outperforms current gen base consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon Neu

Banned
This is a myth in regards to current consoles that are exact replicas of PCs, it was only true for past consoles that had exotic hardware. GTX 680 (2012 GPU) with only 2GB Ram outperforms current gen base consoles.

The velocity architecture and the SSD are a myth?

Sorry, but I really don't think so. And time will prove it.

Well devs gotta get creative. Not sure what else there is to say?

Exactly devs use all kind of techniques to make games run at Switch nd all. CBR was widely used by devs to achieve 4k on Pro.

Devs will have to work extra instead of just straight port from X. So that's their problem.

Last edited:

Reindeer

The velocity architecture and the SSD are a myth?

Sorry, but I really don't think so. And time will prove it.
And PCs don't have SSDs and won't have Direct Storage...

It seems like you just wanna defend Xbox by coming up with nonsensical arguments.

SirTerry-T

Why do folk get so heated about a chunk of plastic and silicon that they never have any intention of buying?
Cool, you don't like it or want to buy it but those who do, outside of forumland, don't give a fuck about what you think. Sorry to burst bubbles but that's the way the real world works.

I'm sure Microsoft will have done their due diligence with this stuff.
Coders always find a way around a machine's shortcomings or at least those coders who actually like to tinker around and get to grips with a machine rather than letting middleware do all the heavy lifting.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
The console is basically a ps4pro but with a decent cpu. They should have upped the bandwidth a bit.

I wont be buying one

Kingthrash

“Xbox Series S was designed to be the most affordable next generation console and play next generation games at 1440P at 60fps. To deliver the highest quality backwards compatible experience consistent with the developer’s original intent, the Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of backward compatible games while applying improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR.”

More in the article here
So xbox one x will play games at a higher quality than the Series s? Lol 😆 🤣 phil is doing a awsome job

Spokker

It seems that if your choice is between sticking with the Xbox One X and the Xbox Series S (if you can't afford the Series X right now) I'd say stick with the One X.

Jon Neu

Banned
And PCs don't have SSDs and won't have Direct Storage...

PC's aren't going to take advantage of the SSD at the same level consoles are going to do. I mean, it's literally almost the entire point of the PS5 SSD, remember?

And also, aren't you the one claiming that a single lowest common denominator hinders the perfomance across the entire platform entirely? Because that's literally what the PC platform is; with the added fact that there are so many different specs it's even a far worse case. It trades efficiency for brute force.

That's why the PS4 can come with a game like The Last Of Us 2 and a PC with the same specs can't.

zaitsu

Banned

Spokker

But here is the million dollar question going forward and keeping an Xbox one X - will there actually be Xbox one X enhanced versions of new games? Support may dry up for this machine. (which would be lame)
I would say sell the X now while it's still worth a decent amount, and it will pay for a good chunk of your Series X.
That's a good long term question, but in the short term I think a lot of late 2020 and early 2021 releases will have One X patches.

Here's the big showdown I'm waiting for. Cyberpunk Xbox One X vs Xbox Series S. Only one man can settle this, John Linneman.

Cimarron

This is not a big deal ya dunces. You do realize that the S will still have next gen features like ray tracing for next gen games right? Wtf is wrong with you people?

Any more these threads just feel like constant trolling. I guess that's what happens when you are so invested in a console yet have no information on it for weeks. The S specifically states it is targeting 1440p/60fps and you guys are bashing on it for not doing 4k on older games? It's a 1440p machine... It literally says that in the presentation. The press release says it will do BC with enhancements but at 1440p. Funny how some PS5 fans say that Sony should be shooting for 1440p to make graphical showcases instead of native 4k on other threads, but now 1440p is terrible.

Reindeer

PC's aren't going to take advantage of the SSD at the same level consoles are going to do. I mean, it's literally almost the entire point of the PS5 SSD, remember?

And also, aren't you the one claiming that a single lowest common denominator hinders the perfomance across the entire platform entirely? Because that's literally what the PC platform is; with the added fact that there are so many different specs it's even a far worse case. It trades efficiency for brute force.

That's why the PS4 can come with a game like The Last Of Us 2 and a PC with the same specs can't.
Dude, are you ok? Nvidia already announced that they are bringing to PC Microsoft's very own Direct Storage API that they're using on consoles.

Comparing consoles to lowest common denominator on PC is a poor argument since PC minimum specs go up all the time because people upgrade their hardware, this is obviously not the case on consoles. Having 5500XT equivalent as base hardware for next gen is laughable.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
So basically

4K 120fps = Xbox Series X
4K 60fps = Xbox One X

1080P/1440P 60/120fps = Xbox Series S
720p/900p 30/60fps = VCR Xbox One/S

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Xss deal gets worse by the minute it seems.damn

Imagine playing many x1 games in 900p in 2020 😬😬😬

I am a Sony fanboy and I honestly dont understsand this kinda criticism.

It was meant to be weaker in order to be Very cheap for the most casual consumers (momies getting for their 12 years old kid)

It could still be a good deal even for more hardcore players who want to take advantage of gamepass for a cheap price.

It doesnt make sense demanding high performance for a 299 platform. But If Sony manage to announce the DE for 399, MS could be in trouble as SERIES S would only have market as secondary console, since people Will want to throw Just 100 more to get spiderman and a more powerfull console.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
That's a good long term question, but in the short term I think a lot of late 2020 and early 2021 releases will have One X patches.

Here's the big showdown I'm waiting for. Cyberpunk Xbox One X vs Xbox Series S. Only one man can settle this, John Linneman.

Yes it will be interesting for sure, and even at different resolutions:
What will the S look like final product on a 1080P set?
Will here be a 1440 mode?
Will there be an up-scaled 4K mode, and how good will it look if it's stemming from 1440P?

And maybe not just pixel counting, maybe they should add to the testing, real world test on different displays, one at 1080p and one at 4K, side by side, 55" oleds with the person sitting at 10 feet.
It would be really interesting for them to do some blind tests too with no console visible.

AGRacing

The Ram amount VS One X is worrying.

The CPU VS Series X is worrying.

Weird bottlenecks to overcome for both previous gen backwards compatibility and next gen framerate? Hard to believe only resolution will be compromised....

Maybe there's a new compression hardware trick to use for the RAM though...?

I knew something was fishy!!!

I believe Microsoft will correct for One X games that are being 'updated' for Series X though - like Forza Horizon 4 for example.

Top Bottom