• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S storage - what the hell were Microsoft thinking?

You'll just have to swap games out. Yeah it's a pain in the ass but how often do replay games you are finished with? Or just expand the storage. Though, it would have been nice if Microsoft could have stretched the storage a little.

Last edited:

TheMan

The small HD is my biggest issue with the system. Wouldn't be a big deal if the expansion HD wasn't egregiously expensive

MacReady13

A significant portion of the PS4s 120 million units sold are most certainly still on the 500gb HDD, and nobody has died. You’ll be fine
All good except 1 console isn't known for it's subscription service, basically forcing your hand in downloading a tonne of games... A smaller hard drive is never a good idea no matter which way you wanna slice it. Microsoft could've taken the loss for a bigger hard drive. We all know it so I can't understand why you'd defend it!

Topher

Gold Member
the 512gb model costs more than the XSS + SSD expansion (especially when you consider the fact that getting 512gb storage for the Xbox currently is 129 bucks)

Right, but I'm talking about expansion rather than buying a higher tier model. microSD is not expensive. Like I said, you can add 512GB microSD to Steam Deck for less than half what is costs to add 512GB SSD to XSS.

Last edited:

Ryllix_

It would be nice if the Series S had more storage, but so far I haven't had an issue. I have 8 or so Xbox Series games installed, and I use an external drive for all non-Series optimized games. Even if you could only get 5 or 6 games installed at once....I only play 1 or 2 at a time (and this is probably even more likely for casual gamers who only play a single game at all, or only ever a handful of them through the lifecycle of their console)

Sega Orphan

Banned
I am currently a XSX player, and while I would never get a XSS I understand what they are looking to achieve with it.
However, I think they really needed to raise the specs just a little to improve things alot more.
The clock speed is very low for RDNA2, and it should have been clocked higher to get closer to the 5tflop mark. On top of that they should have added an extra gig of RAM as well. I'm pretty sure the current footprint and sound profile would not have been troubled too much.
Yeah, people will say $299, but look at what Sony did with the digital addition for only $00 extra.
The extra 6 gig of gddr6 ram, larger and faster SSD, and 6tflops of extra power. I don't think it's a stretch to think MS could have given the extra RAM and higher clock speed. And again, before people say that the yields would be effected by the clock increase, again Sony has theirs clocked to 2.23ghz and managed to sell it for the price they did.

I actually don't have an issue with the SSD space, as you can use external drives to store the games on and move them across when you want to play XSS enhanced games.

Beechos

Ms can prob make way more than whatever theyre getting out of the seagate deal by just releasing a ssd to usb enclosure thingie. Even at $50 or more it would prob sell like hotcakes.

CamHostage

Yeah, like everybody else has said. It's cheap. And the expansion card is easy to use. Not affordable (not yet...not ever, maybe? hopefully not,) but ultra high speed SSDs are just pricey right now. Pricey, and with limited capacity compared to spinning drives. The tech is here to enjoy all the benefits of, but it's not cheap and it's not plentiful, and that's simply how things are these days.

It was ALWAYS intended as the cheapo option, like the Xbox 360 arcade.

Ugh, remember THAT thing?? It had a 256 MB storage chip, and then every Xbox Live Arcade game had to squeezed into a babytee-sized app of a max 50 MB (for a while) because they wanted to not overload the low-end console. I believe you could still cash your next couple paychecks and add on a hard drive, so you weren't stuck with a paperweight 360 if you started out cheap, but it was a case of penny-wise / pound-foolish thrift spending.

DavJay

Even 1TB is way too small. I actually think the 2TB expansion card is mandatory. Yes, I know not everyone can afford it. Sony and MS jumped on nvme way too early. A standard SSD would have been a big enough jump.

Still feels weird that my one x can do things the series s can't.

Fuck it i might grab a series x when my one x is starting to choking the games.
Why is that weird? The XSS is the upgrade to the X1. Can you think of anything the X1 can do gameplay wise the XSS can't? Despite that the XSS can also do things the X1X can't do either.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Even 1TB is way too small. I actually think the 2TB expansion card is mandatory. Yes, I know not everyone can afford it. Sony and MS jumped on nvme way too early. A standard SSD would have been a big enough jump.
I'm not sure I agree. The only game that really needs to be on fast storage is the game you're playing right now. It's super easy to keep games in cheap cold storage and copy them to the fast drive when you want to play. It's worth the trade off to have less but faster storage at an affordable price.

Rykan

I've said it before, I'll say it again: The Xbox Series S is a trap. It's an incredibly poor value and absolutely not worth it in the long run. It's a "Gamepass" machine that doesn't have the space or the specs for it to get the most out of it. It runs games significantly worse.

If you really want an Xbox, invest the 200$ more to get a Series X, which is absolutely worth it. If you want a cheap entry into next gen, buy a PS5: DE instead for just 100$ more when you can find it.

Hoddi

I'm not sure I agree. The only game that really needs to be on fast storage is the game you're playing right now. It's super easy to keep games in cheap cold storage and copy them to the fast drive when you want to play. It's worth the trade off to have less but faster storage at an affordable price.
That's kinda true. I usually first need to move the game from the SSD to free up space and then move the one that I want to play. This can take up quite some time when added together.

But I just realized that I can copy games instead of moving them while writing this.

Stooky

Ms can prob make way more than whatever theyre getting out of the seagate deal by just releasing a ssd to usb enclosure thingie. Even at $50 or more it would prob sell like hotcakes.
Why would do that when they can upsale to you the $200 option or XSX

Justin9mm

You said you have a One X, you said you don't care for 4K on the console, what's wrong with the One X for now?

Series S imo is and will always be a fail, even at a cheaper price, it fails on so many fronts. It's going to be like the Xbone again, it will be so far behind in a 3-4 years time when the current gen matures.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
S was made for people who have to have a latest gen system, and want the barebones for cheap. Also, not the kind of gamer who plays tons of games. A gamer who'll focus on a small number of popular games like having COD or FIFA and that's good enough. The SSD probably only has 400gb after the OS (give or take). Install COD and GTA and there's probably the whole SSD.

Personally, I'd rather have a One X as it has double the space and a 4k optical drive (I got 4k movies). S seems to run games at faster FPS and has some RT, but amazingly One X has better res sometimes. Kind of a wash IMO.

Although Series X costs more and hard to get, better to wait and get that if any on the fence S gamer is that itching for it. Because unless you know for sure you can live a 1080p kind of system with 512gb, needing to buy that Seagate card basically gets you back to the X price. X is way more powerful vs. an S w/Seagate card (total 1.5tb SSD) vs X at 1tb SSD.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
You said you have a One X, you said you don't care for 4K on the console, what's wrong with the One X for now?

Series S imo is and will always be a fail, even at a cheaper price, it fails on so many fronts. It's going to be like the Xbone again, it will be so far behind in a 3-4 years time when the current gen matures.
not really, the xbox series s has a pretty great scaler.

Right, but I'm talking about expansion rather than buying a higher tier model. microSD is not expensive. Like I said, you can add 512GB microSD to Steam Deck for less than half what is costs to add 512GB SSD to XSS.

Comparing micro sd card with an nvme 2.5GBps system. Hmm...

Even a usb 3 external hard disk would be faster than micro sd.

Topher

Gold Member
Comparing micro sd card with an nvme 2.5GBps system. Hmm...

Even a usb 3 external hard disk would be faster than micro sd.

Which is why I said Steam Deck wasn’t a good comparison.

I get what you are saying about Steam Deck, but you can add 512GB of expansion to Steam Deck for less than half of what it costs to do the same on XSS. Of course, Steam Deck just needs microSD rather than SSD so it isn't really a good comparison either way.

Although I believe the SSD in the NVMe Deck models can be replaced entirely.

Last edited:

Stooky

Because i doubt they make more than $50 bucks on the upsale. How much you think they get out of seagate selling the drive? Aint the xsx selling at a loss?
We'll they get licensing fees from seagate for the Xbox sticker. Its more money in their pocket either way.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
We'll they get licensing fee from seagate for the Xbox sticker. Its more money their pocket either way.

That reminds me. Wasn't Seagate only supposed to be the sole source for these things for a year? Where is all the competition?

BigLee74

Absolute non issue.

Have 2 or 3 games on the go, and swap others out as you need. If you must, buy or reuse a cheap USB HDD for BC games/new games that don’t need an SSD.

Sit back and marvel at how you got this machine for 249.99.

Source: my boy.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
My internet has no caps so no need for something extra, same as my orgasms.

cant touch this music video GIF

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Storage solution is shit but I had a spare external SSD around and all legacy games and even some enhanced games play fine from there. So I still have about 30 games on my S.

Its not like Series X and PS5 have a sufficient amount of storage either. I upgraded my PS5 with 1tb last month. I think i'm set though, PS4 on external, and 1.7tb for PS5 apps.

With Series this is a bit more painful as you're locked to the proprietary overpriced Seagate thing.

Last edited:

cireza

They thought about having a budget console for people willing to spend less money, and they succeeded. This is a simple inconvenience, but overall, people are getting the next-gen experience at a budget price. You can swap games and put all BC games on an external hard-drive.

Fox Mulder

The Series S is cheap and the storage expansion solution is easy. You don’t have to open the console or check ssd specs with their expansion cards.

And it is a lot more expensive.
And more flexible seeing how one can easily move games between systems, take games to friend's house, and it's hot swappable. Let's also not act like an external drive isn't an option. If I recall that feature was available since day one. No has to buy the Seagate drive.

Why would anyone need a Series S for streaming tho? People buy consoles to play natively.
Simply an option. Nothing wrong with giving gamers multiple ways to play games. People who only have an X1 wouldn't be able to play MS Flight Simulator without streaming. Options are good for consumers.

Topher

Gold Member
And more flexible seeing how one can easily move games between systems, take games to friend's house, and it's hot swappable. Let's also not act like an external drive isn't an option. If I recall that feature was available since day one. No has to buy the Seagate drive.

Who is "acting like" external drives are not an option? I was replying to a comment made specifically about the Seagate drive. It is much more expensive due to being a proprietary solution. That's just stating a fact.

But sure.....if you are one of those who will use the expansion between different systems and/or take it to a friends house then that extra cost may be worth it.

Amazon TV and Music apps.

You said "game streaming".

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Gotta echo the thoughts here; wouldn't be that much of a problem if the expandable storage wasn't so damn expensive. I really prefer Sony's approach to storage here; you can upgrade it if you want, it requires a little know-how, but because its open, it'll always be much cheaper. I think perhaps Sony learned the lesson the hard way from the PS Vita. I knew the moment Microsoft announced a proprietary format they were jacking up the prices. It shouldn't anywhere near as expensive as it is.

MilkyJoe

Alright I am late to the party, but I'm rocking a gaming rig and a one x, and thought about upgrading to play my console games better.

I don't give a crap about 4k and all that graphic whoring. Just want a console that is a bit future proof - which series s isn't.

I don't even care about a disc drive which made series s a decent choice, until I noticed the systems true bottleneck - the disc.

Because who the hell thought that a digital only system should have 364 GB available storage for games, in a time where these games are around 100 gigs these days, and it's probably going to get worse throughout the generation.

A series x costs 530 euro in my country, and since I already have a gaming rig I wouldn't mind the little brother s, which could run the games I for some reason don't play on my pc.

The series s costs 320 euro, which is more affordable, but if you want to upgrade the crippled storage, which I know I would, given I like to have a lot of games installed (which I already have on my 864 GB one x), it just doesn't seems possible on the series s.

Now, we can thankfully upgrade the storage, but that costs 240 euro, which end up being the same price as the one x anyway.

What the hell were Microsoft thinking with this storage nonsense.

The system is not crippled by its weaker graphics, its crippled because you have almost no hard drive space.

Edit -
Another thing is, having a one x already, it's a mixed bag.

It even runs 360 games in one s mode and not enhanced.

Future proofed, motherfuckeeerrr

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
They were thinking about a $299 barrier of entry for next gen games.
Dude, seriously. Stop using logic against such emotionally charged, irrational, uninspiring post like the one in question. Can't you see this dude was trying to make a point?? Jesus Christ. Some savage MF's on this forum. The absolute nerve of ya! /s

Last edited:
I mean its $299 and there are other options. $399 gets you a full next gen machine and if you want MS only there is the $499 XSX.

Would you rather they priced it at $399 with a 1TB SDD? Wth would be the point of that with the PS5 DE?

Top Bottom