• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S storage - what the hell were Microsoft thinking?

BlackTron

The Series S is an extremely smart product at an affordable price.

For anyone who wants more storage space and/or processing power, they made a product for you too. It's called Series X. Given the price of storage expansion, you may as well just buy an X and get the extra processing power too.

Admittedly it's a bad situation because the X is not easy to get, funneling people into having to get the S, a subpar console. It meets the needs of many gamers just fine at $299, with the benefit of actually existing as an option. If it's not good enough for you, just wait. In my opinion, the S is cheap enough to buy to tide you over, and can be sold later or stay in service as an easy extra Halo box for a local/LAN type situation.

It was ALWAYS intended as the cheapo option, like the Xbox 360 arcade.

Tarnpanzer

If you don´t have like 5-6 six different multiplayer games installed, the storage is more than sufficient for enough AAA/AA single player games(+Indies).

Last edited:
I understand the xs trying to be entry level and cuts had to be made but for a digital system to have the smallest storage doesn't make sense. I guess Microsoft thought it doesn't matter since they offer an over priced ssd addon you can buy.

Hezekiah

Banned
Does 8tb require being plugged in at the wall too?
I remember when looking for higher than 4tb many many many years ago, everything higher than 4 needed to be plugged in & were quite big.

Also upgrading from my 1tb card to the 2tb card was quite depressing, £375 :( (only £75 away from another series X)
No idea, never bought anything at that size!

I recently bought a 2TB Samsung 980 Pro for £233. It's so much better being able to buy an off-the-shelf solution.

Three

Alright I am late to the party, but I'm rocking a gaming rig and a one x, and thought about upgrading to play my console games better.

I don't give a crap about 4k and all that graphic whoring. Just want a console that is a bit future proof - which series s isn't.

I don't even care about a disc drive which made series s a decent choice, until I noticed the systems true bottleneck - the disc.

Because who the hell thought that a digital only system should have 364 GB available storage for games, in a time where these games are around 100 gigs these days, and it's probably going to get worse throughout the generation.

A series x costs 530 euro in my country, and since I already have a gaming rig I wouldn't mind the little brother s, which could run the games I for some reason don't play on my pc.

The series s costs 320 euro, which is more affordable, but if you want to upgrade the crippled storage, which I know I would, given I like to have a lot of games installed (which I already have on my 864 GB one x), it just doesn't seems possible on the series s.

Now, we can thankfully upgrade the storage, but that costs 240 euro, which end up being the same price as the one x anyway.

What the hell were Microsoft thinking with this storage nonsense.

The system is not crippled by its weaker graphics, its crippled because you have almost no hard drive space.
They were thinking we'll sell them £375 expansion cards and make a shitload of money. Let's just get them to buy the console first.

Alright I am late to the party, but I'm rocking a gaming rig and a one x, and thought about upgrading to play my console games better.

I don't give a crap about 4k and all that graphic whoring. Just want a console that is a bit future proof - which series s isn't.

I don't even care about a disc drive which made series s a decent choice, until I noticed the systems true bottleneck - the disc.

Because who the hell thought that a digital only system should have 364 GB available storage for games, in a time where these games are around 100 gigs these days, and it's probably going to get worse throughout the generation.

A series x costs 530 euro in my country, and since I already have a gaming rig I wouldn't mind the little brother s, which could run the games I for some reason don't play on my pc.

The series s costs 320 euro, which is more affordable, but if you want to upgrade the crippled storage, which I know I would, given I like to have a lot of games installed (which I already have on my 864 GB one x), it just doesn't seems possible on the series s.

Now, we can thankfully upgrade the storage, but that costs 240 euro, which end up being the same price as the one x anyway.

The system is not crippled by its weaker graphics, its crippled because you have almost no hard drive space.
This is not that a big deal. Buy a cheap USB disc to move games back and forth if you find yourself playing more than 3 games at a time.

Certinty

I'll tell you what Microsoft were thinking: Is there enough space for people to fit CoD, FIFA/Madden/NBA, Fortnite and GTA? If yes, that's all you need.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Another thing is, having a one x already, it's a mixed bag.

It even runs 360 games in one s mode and not enhanced.

FingerBang

I disagree with OP with the console being bad. For the price, it's really good. There had to be compromises.

But for everyone saying it's the best deal for the price... yeah, no. I understand console shortages are a big thing, but for $100 more, spec-wise, a PS5 Digital Edition is a much better deal. Of course there's no game pass there, so.

FritzJ92

I disagree with OP with the console being bad. For the price, it's really good. There had to be compromises.

But for everyone saying it's the best deal for the price... yeah, no. I understand console shortages are a big thing, but for $100 more, spec-wise, a PS5 Digital Edition is a much better deal. Of course there's no game pass there, so.
If you are shopping in the 299 range, money is probably an important decision maker. If it wasn't he would just bought the Series X.

One could argue for $100 more than a PS5 DE you could get the Series X and you now also have UHD BR player more storage and better performance, but that's not his budget is it?

The 5 TB spinning platter expansion was not a good idea either. I had it filled with tons of games I was not playing and after a time they stop updating if your not playing them regularly. So if out of the blue I wanted to play something I would have to download an update anyway.
So I yoinked the 5TB and just use the SSD's and games I'm actually playing.

elliot5

That's not true. It runs at 1440p with enhanced texture filtering. Only Xbox One games are as-is, unless it's FPS Boosted/AutoHDR.

Lognor

Banned
I didn't know storage was that low. Yikes! I run into storage issues on my XSX. Yeah, you're better off getting an XSX...if you can find one.

The_Mike

That's not true. It runs at 1440p with enhanced texture filtering. Only Xbox One games are as-is, unless it's FPS Boosted/AutoHDR.
I didn't know storage was that low. Yikes! I run into storage issues on my XSX. Yeah, you're better off getting an XSX...if you can find one.
Theres plenty of consoles in my country. You can easily get any of them if you want.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Theres plenty of consoles in my country. You can easily get any of them if you want.
The Series S runs all OG Xbox games at native 1440p and the One X enhanced 360 games play with their enhancements at native 1440p instead of 4k.

The_Mike

Series X consoles? What country?
I live in Denmark, scandinavia
The Series S runs all OG Xbox games at native 1440p and the One X enhanced 360 games play with their enhancements at native 1440p instead of 4k.

So it runs them as good as one x? Just 1440p instead of 4k?

elliot5

Last edited:

The_Mike

Correct.

But Xbox One enhanced games that are X enhanced aren’t available on Series S, it just plays them in the One S profile.

That's Xbox One games. Not 360 games. 360 games run at 1440p rather than 4K that the One X does.
So xbox one x enhanced xbox one games aren't supported by series, but enhanced 360 games does?
black-guy-gif-star-trek.gif

K' Dash

I have the 1TB card, and a 8TB and 5TB drive installed. 3TB free and I have about 500 games installed.

why?

I have like 3 games installed on the SSD, those are the ones I play regularly, everything else I want to play later are in cold storage in a 4TB drive.

As long as I can store the games on a external drive I have no issue with space.

FingerBang

If you are shopping in the 299 range, money is probably an important decision maker. If it wasn't he would just bought the Series X.

One could argue for $100 more than a PS5 DE you could get the Series X and you now also have UHD BR player more storage and better performance, but that's not his budget is it?

I own both PS5 and XSX, so for me both consoles were worth 499. But no, the extra $100 between the PS5 DE and the XSX are nowhere comparable to the $100 between XSS and PS5DE. You get an extra, what, 20% in teraflops? Jumping from a XSS to a PS5 you get 250% more power and double the storage. The difference in performance between XSX and PS5 is honestly ridiculous, to the point it has never affected any of my purchases. They're equal to me. You can easily add more storage on a PS5 DE and still pay less than $499.

But yeah, if it's a matter of budget, I get it. Especially because you can currently buy an XSS at $299 but not a PS5 at $399. I expect MS to release a XSX DE at some point once/if it actually becomes possible to enter a store and buy consoles.

The_Mike

Because One games enhanced for One X leverage extra RAM the Series S doesn’t have. 360 games don’t have that issue.
So enhanced xbox one, one x games enhanced, doesn't work on Series S.

But enhanced xbox 360 games works on Series S.

Antwix

Yeah the storage is pretty crappy, but you can just buy a ~2 TB non-ssd external drive to alleviate the problem. I do the same thing on my XSX. Unless I'm in the minority, I'm never playing more than 2 or 3 games at the same time. When I'm done with a game or two, I just swap game(s) from internal to external and vice versa. Plus games that don't take advantage of the ssd like older 360 games can just stay on the external. Takes just a few minutes to transfer depending on how big it is. Although I imagine it is a huge problem for games like Call of Duty that will absolutely kill your storage quickly.

RafterXL

OMG, a budget console for casual users that's 40% cheaper has less storage!

The console is fine for what it's trying to do, which is offer an affordable way for people to keep playing current games. I'd never buy it, but I'm not going to complain about it because I'm not the target audience.

P.S. If the storage is too small and adding a cheap SSD to store and transfer games is beneath you, you are also not the target audience.

Riky

$MSFT
I've got a Samsung T5 SSD attached to mine for last gen games and the Series games that are still Durango.
What I'm playing at the moment is on a storage card so I can move it between consoles.

Elginer

Yeah it kinda blows but I have a 4tb drive for older games and bought a 1tb of their ssd crap for future use once the internal runs out

Zeroing

Banned

The console is fine for what it's trying to do, which is offer an affordable way for people to keep playing current games. I'd never buy it, but I'm not going to complain about it because I'm not the target audience.

P.S. If the storage is too small and adding a cheap SSD to store and transfer games is beneath you, you are also not the target audience.
I do not want to throw wood into a fire but people buy macbooks with only 250gigs of storage and it is premium device...

So...also do not see a problem here, it is a budget console, storage is expandable and maybe before you buy, you need to take into consideration the small internal storage it has.

But here is the thing:

1. Its an all digital console so while the upfront price is "cheap". You will spend more buying games through the Xbox store or having to stick to subscribing to game pass.
2. The internal storage is way too low for a all digital console. Think about it, COD and GTA are easily over 100GB and they will get bigger over time. Heck, next gen games will get bigger, especially on Xbox
3. The storage expansion options are an extra cost. If you plan to game on this console long term, you will need to pay that cost at some point. Which is a waste because the same amount could have been used to get a Series X.
4. Having to transfer, delete and redownload games will get very annoying especially if someone plans to play multiple games through game pass
5. Devs have to spend extra time and resources optimizing for this console even after PS4/ Xbox one games stop being created

IMO, MS could have just made a disc-less Series X, charged $399 and call it a day because at some point the slimmer consoles will come and the prices will go down anyway.

I wouldn't even recommend this console to a causal because it has too many compromises.

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
I have the same issues with my xbox one S. 1tb isnt even enough, if you are an xbox user with gamepass, you will need 5tb of storages. MS needs to make that storage cheaper, or make a cheaper storage.
Storage, as its name implies, is for STORING games, not necessarily playing them.

I also have a Series S, but I also have attached to it a 2 TB USB-3 HDD, and it works fine. I currently have like 5 or 6 games installed on the console's internal memory and the rest is "resting" within the 2 TB drive. If/when I want to play something, I simply copy it to the internal drive.

So far, I haven't even needed to do that, since that's most of what I play simultaneously. :S

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

Edit -

just remember, Valve thought it was OK to put 64gb in the steam deck base model. It can always be worse.
I do agree with you though, that is BS

MacReady13

Man, this is some weird shit.
If they wanted to spend more money and take a bit more loss, the place to upgrade would be the VRAM, and possibly some extra GPU CUs.

Why would anyone with brains go above 512GB SSD for the cheap, entry level console?
Weird shit to want more SSD space? Please tell me how they will be able to save more games on the tiny SSD provided? What will the cost amount to if and when they need to buy an extra 1TB of SSD for their series S?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Let's say you play cod vanguard for multiplayer, that's easily 62 GB.
love how you're lowballing it by specifically mentioning cod vanguard and not warzone which is 100+ gb for multiplayer
although, you could go to gamepass and get halo infinite which is 40+gb for multiplayer

The_Mike

love how you're lowballing it by specifically mentioning cod vanguard and not warzone which is 100+ gb for multiplayer
although, you could go to gamepass and get halo infinite which is 40+gb for multiplayer
Well Warzone would make it worse for series s, right? Its not like I'm talking positively about it.

I mention vanguard because that's the kid of games I play.

Topher

Gold Member
just remember, Valve thought it was OK to put 64gb in the steam deck base model. It can always be worse.
I do agree with you though, that is BS

I get what you are saying about Steam Deck, but you can add 512GB of expansion to Steam Deck for less than half of what it costs to do the same on XSS. Of course, Steam Deck just needs microSD rather than SSD so it isn't really a good comparison either way.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I get what you are saying about Steam Deck, but you can add 512GB of expansion to Steam Deck for less than half of what it costs to do the same on XSS. Of course, Steam Deck just needs microSD rather than SSD so it isn't really a good comparison either way.
the 512gb model costs more than the XSS + SSD expansion (especially when you consider the fact that getting 512gb storage for the Xbox currently is 129 bucks)

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Weird shit to want more SSD space? Please tell me how they will be able to save more games on the tiny SSD provided? What will the cost amount to if and when they need to buy an extra 1TB of SSD for their series S?

No. Weird shit for you to expect MS not to prioritize SSD storage quantity in their cost cutting to make the series S a reality.
If they had a higher budget for losses, they’d have probably put that towards cooling (for higher clocks), or more VRAM or more GPU CUs.

512GB storage is fine, for the market tier. People will manage to shuffle between 5-6 installed big games, and use cold storage for the rest.

A significant portion of the PS4s 120 million units sold are most certainly still on the 500gb HDD, and nobody has died. You’ll be fine

soulbait

Once the storage is nearing full, you can always buy a cheap external drive to use as cold storage. Also, non new generation games can run off the external drive, so you can keep the internal drive just for current gen games. Sure, it is not that convenient to swap games between drives, but if you are on a tight budget it works for some.

Top Bottom