• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S storage - what the hell were Microsoft thinking?

elliot5

The future is Xcloud game streaming. Downloading is so 2019.
Unironically this is a great move if it works for you. Why download Yakuza Like a Dragon at 70 or more gigabytes on Series S when you can stream it instantly and it looks and runs just as well? Leave the local versions to the key games you want to play or ones that need accuracy

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've been messing around with the Series S GameStop gave me in the mixup a few months ago. I've been trying games via cloud gaming on the S and it's been a pretty good experience. I'm wondering if that's not Microsoft's real play with this box. Local storage doesn't matter as much because you can just play most GamePass games instantly via Xcloud, but you can install the ones you really want to play without the cloud hiccups. I still prefer Series X though.

Im sure the great minds of people at MS did the math to price ratio and made it such i to would like my Series S to have 1TB internal storage but i find that i never install more then 5 games at once anyways it manly my console Gamepass machine for the games that are not on PC so when i beat a game i just uninstall it and onto the next game

BeardGawd

Banned
I think MS was banking on people not needing more than a handful of games installed at one time. The cheapest way to add space is an external HDD that you can transfer your games to when not in use.

I also recommend Series S owners have decent internet so they can stream games through xCloud which would help alleviate storage issues.

Last edited:

CS Lurker

It works for me. I wouldn't like to pay more than $300 for a space that isn't really necessary for me. I have 700Mb of internet and, if necessary (I doubt) I have a 2TB HD that I can use as a backup.

What Microsoft could have done was giving the option to buy a normal PC ssd (like sony did), which would make prices go down. But, like I said, for me at least it's not a problem.

Deerock71

They were coming up with the cheapest solution to integrate an SSD on a next gen console, and they succeeded. But yes, I splurged for the 1 TB expansion.

Last edited:

Hoddi

I wouldn't mind as much if I could use more than 364GB of the total. I've no idea why the consoles waste so much storage and it dates all the way back to the PS360 generation.

That said, future games will hopefully become smaller on account of the SSD.

If you are a pure casual gamer who don’t play many games, then the XSS is fine for them. If you play a lot of games, then you have to either delete many games consistently or acquire a 1TB to 2TB ssd which will make the XSS cost as much, if not more than a XSX which is technologically superior.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

You are not the target audience. My seven years old loves hers. She has like 20 gamepass games installed on it and plays two of them.

Hoddi

HDD and SSD sizes aren't calculated the same way. You can see how a Series X drive is partitioned in this video here.

A 1TB HDD would normally format to ~931GB on Windows. But if you put one in a PS3/PS4 then you'll lose somewhere around 100GB because the reserve space is decided by a percentage rather than a fixed size. The SX drive similarly only reports 867GB of total capacity in the above video where many other 1TB drives would report ~954GB.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
Alright I am late to the party, but I'm rocking a gaming rig and a one x, and thought about upgrading to play my console games better.

I don't give a crap about 4k and all that graphic whoring. Just want a console that is a bit future proof - which series s isn't.

I don't even care about a disc drive which made series s a decent choice, until I noticed the systems true bottleneck - the disc.

Because who the hell thought that a digital only system should have 364 GB available storage for games, in a time where these games are around 100 gigs these days, and it's probably going to get worse throughout the generation.

A series x costs 530 euro in my country, and since I already have a gaming rig I wouldn't mind the little brother s, which could run the games I for some reason don't play on my pc.

The series s costs 320 euro, which is more affordable, but if you want to upgrade the crippled storage, which I know I would, given I like to have a lot of games installed (which I already have on my 864 GB one x), it just doesn't seems possible on the series s.

Now, we can thankfully upgrade the storage, but that costs 240 euro, which end up being the same price as the one x anyway.

What the hell were Microsoft thinking with this storage nonsense.

The system is not crippled by its weaker graphics, its crippled because you have almost no hard drive space.
Swap games to external drive you aren’t playing. I agree though. They should of gone with double the storage.

nikolino840

You don't even need a HDD for most of the big Gamepass games...

Ryan Reynolds Smile GIF
For what Next gen games? 😂Indies are small size...

Let's say you play cod vanguard for multiplayer, that's easily 62 GB.

Forza horizon 5 is there as well, it's 103 GB.

You already wasted half the storage on two games.

But you're also into RPGs, so you are also tossing elden ring in there, which is another 60 gigs.

3 games, and you're up to 224 gigs.

Now, I can probably put 5 triple a games today, but I wouldn't be surprised if games tend to get a lot bigger later down the line.

But yeah, an external disc could be used for games that's not requiring internal, but I'd guess its just about time as well before that becomes an issue.

Yeah, no. I have game pass ultimate, cloud gaming graphics looks like shit, graphical glitches and if I recall correct then it is one s performance you get.

And xcloud can't really be the next big thing, when you lose access to games when they leave game pass. You can't even play them if you bought them through xcloud.
only cloud games i've had issues with are online ones like NO Mans Sky. The rest look and run good.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I had a sata 1tb ssd laying around that I put in a usb case I use for my Xbox Series S

S/X games can't be played from it but you can store them and just 'clean the fridge'

those sata ssd drives are cheap now I don't really get the storage complaints unless you super hardcore and play everything but then even the 1tb Series X wouldn't be enough

512, 825 and 1000 GB are the storage options.
If 512 is not enough, just wait for the bigger model down the line.

Series S will soon be 1TB and Series X will become 2TB.
SSDs are getting cheaper by the minute.

Topher

Gold Member
They were thinking they were going to launch cloud gaming on GamePass a year later. So ppl wouldnt need to download a million games anymore

I could see an XSS use case for those who wanted to play a mix of some xcloud as well as play installed games, but the problem is that if there is ever a need for expanding the SSD capacity of XSS then the price get exceedingly close to that of XSX and then it just isn't worth it, imo. I would like to see a dedicated xCloud device eventually though.

Price of memory drops so fast this will only be an issue for a short time.

Not so sure. If it were not proprietary then yeah, this would already be a non-issue, but proprietary expansion is going to drop in price a lot slower.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Series s has been awesome for my daughters room. Not had any issues, but I admit there’s an external usb attached for a lot of the gamepass games she is playing that aren’t series x versions.

they should do a 1tb version and I imagine they will announce one as soon as they can.

Soosa

Banned
it’s an entertainment device and they aren’t a charity. If you want more storage pay for it.

MS could always sell another version of Series S with 1-2 tb space, for 50-100€ more and still have same or better profits(or less loss) probably.

Why would anyone buy series S + storage card, if they want more space than series s offers?

Series x 509€
seris s 309€
512 gb card 169e

series s + card = 478€, so saving is really minimal (people whom cant afford the difference, should not buy consoles anyway) but you have inferior machine without disc drive. Only real benefit of series S is that it is smaller.

I think that this is the point people are having, why pay almost the same for series s+card, when series x offers much more future proofing and better system? And if you get series x now, you can still add more space later, unlike with series s+card combo, where you take some loss if you buy a bigger card later and small one is now useless

It is basically like when switch launched, people calculated that doubling flash space from 32 gb to 64 gb would cost 5-10$ to nintendo, but instead they want to maximise profits like greedy bastards. But at least SD cards are cheap.

The main problem is probably that these xbox memory cards cost 2-3x of what they should. I got 1 tb WD SN850 for my ps5 with same price as this slow ass 512 gb card costs, and I know that they are short form factor, but that is not customers problem really.

I have series x also, and while I dont have the same games as on ps5, xbox games seem to be bit bigger on average -> disc feels smaller than ps5 internal disc even if it is bigger.

like flight simulator + halo infinite is something like 200 gb already, on series s that would be frustrating. Im waiting until these cards are less than 100€ for 1Tb and then maybe get one.

But it is true, that people should just get series x if they want to play lot of games

anthony2690

Banned
364GB is ridiculously meagre. And if you want more SSD storage space, it's £200 for the 1TB proprietary drive. Extortionate.
Does 8tb require being plugged in at the wall too?
I remember when looking for higher than 4tb many many many years ago, everything higher than 4 needed to be plugged in & were quite big.

Also upgrading from my 1tb card to the 2tb card was quite depressing, £375 :( (only £75 away from another series X)

ikbalCO

Series x 509€
seris s 309€
512 gb card 169e

series s + card = 478€, so saving is really minimal (people whom cant afford the difference, should not buy consoles anyway) but you have inferior machine without disc drive. Only real benefit of series S is that it is smaller.
with this logic, pricing and storage size does not make any sense but i think MS wanted to position series s as a second console and/or gamepass machine.

so i have a PS5 right and i dont -usually- download games like warzone etc. to my series s and i can use the storage for not very often xbox exclusives and/or indies.

also i never understood why storage size is this big of a deal since i always delete the games i finished.

but to each his own i guess.

BabyYoda

Banned
No idea why it's so expensive in Euros, here in Jersey the Series S is only £200, mind you, we don't pay VAT. Still, it's £250 on the mainland, has the Euro really lost that much value oO

Leyasu

Banned
I gave my son my old hdd that I had connected to my one x for the bc games that he plays. He changes where he installs his games depending on which console they are for. Plus we have 1gb fibre so downloading games isn’t a problem.

But, the SSD is kinda small for a digital console. Still the price of entry is great. My boy is chuffed to bits with his.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Like other have said they had to get to $299 and not take massive losses.

I guess you could use an external HDD for xbox one,360 + og games.
Or you could get a seriesX or wait until they do a series S model with more storage. I also think the next series model will be slightly more powerful, like 4.5tflops.

Ozriel

M$FT
So let me get this straight- one of the wealthiest companies in the world couldn't afford to "lose" money by selling the console at $299 USD by giving users a bigger hard drive? Especially considering they are pushing the S as their perfect Gamepass console?

Man, this is some weird shit.
If they wanted to spend more money and take a bit more loss, the place to upgrade would be the VRAM, and possibly some extra GPU CUs.

Why would anyone with brains go above 512GB SSD for the cheap, entry level console?

Top Bottom