• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S or wait for X?

tsumake

So I’m currently a thousand miles from my apartment and main gaming setup. It’ll be like that for a few more months. Where I am I have a 360 and a 720p tv. I have a significant digital library for both the 360 and Xbox One. Would it be worth getting a Series S in the interval? I think I know the answer, but I’d like some feedback.

So I’m currently a thousand miles from my apartment and main gaming setup. It’ll be like that for a few more months. Where I am I have a 360 and a 720p tv. I have a significant digital library for both the 360 and Xbox One. Would it be worth getting a Series S in the interval? I think I know the answer, but I’d like some feedback.
How important are 4k gaming or blu-ray playback to you? The XSS will play the same games the XSX will play. It's small, quiet, and compact. It is an outstanding emulation and Game pass device and it's $200 less than the XSX. You can't find a better device for less money. There are plenty of great reasons to get an XSS.

TheMan

There's a thread I started yesterday which could be helpful, maybe. Lots of arguing about gaming PCs in there though, lol

I just got an S and I'd say yes. Easier to find. It could be your gamepass box for a while and when you're ready you could sell it. The shortage of PS5s and Series X's is probably going to last through the year.

Last edited:
It really depends. I play with projector that has native 720p that it upscales to 1080p and for that XSS is enough. Also XSS is cheap.
If you have money and a place to put XSX then XSX will be probably better.

Last edited:

tsumake

I’m working through my backlog - I like the back compat upgrades of the S, but don’t see enough of a reason to spend $300 for the upgrade considering I don’t have a 4k tv.

FrankWza

Game Show Smile GIF by ABC Network

WoJ

I've considered doing the same and have a huge digital library, but so much of my backlog is disc based that I am going to wait. Now if money is no issue, sure why not.

Kilau

I plan to get a Series S at some point even though I got the X at launch.

It just seems like a cool little compliment system for another room or easy travel to the in-laws.

If you feel like you would end up with both at some point then get the S now and X later. If not then maybe wait.

S0ULZB0URNE

How important are 4k gaming or blu-ray playback to you? The XSS will play the same games the XSX will play. It's small, quiet, and compact. It is an outstanding emulation and Game pass device and it's $200 less than the XSX. You can't find a better device for less money. There are plenty of great reasons to get an XSS.
Don't listen to this character.

Listen to this one and....

XSX has much longer legs and is a full current gen console unlike the xss.

Fox Mulder

It’s easier to get and plays games fine enough. It’s a nice cheap gamepass box and you can always get a X later or even the mid gen upgrade.

Last edited:

splattered

If you want to play games now and have the money for an S now and an X later (along w a 4k tv) then why not? You could always sell the S or gift to friend or family person. The only negative I really see here is if you buy an S now as well as an X later it will "inflate Xbox sales numbers" and Playstation fans will be mad at you for buying two systems. :p

Last edited:
Why wait?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the S. When you're able to pick up an X then just sell the S.

Games just run in lower resolution and if you have a 1080p monitor then its perfect. I play on my work monitor and 4K TV with my S and to be honest the resolution difference on the TV doesn't bother me at all. On my 1080p monitor the image quality is beautiful. Minor bit of softness on my 4K TV but nothing bad at all.
What I do enjoy is playing some games at 60FPS

Also Quick Resume is a game changer.

My console is up and I'm in a game in 20 seconds. Its these kinds of changes that make any next gen Xbox worth the purchase.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I think the S is pretty bad as your full on next gen game system, but it's pretty good if you already game elsewhere and/or just want a dropshippable Gamepass/streaming box.

Like I love Switch and spend lots of time on it because it's good for what it is. For a lot of people that would be enough for their game fix, but for me and most others on this board that would be laughable. I feel the same way about the S, enjoy it for what it is but let us know when you're ready for the main course.

I'd say just wait for the Series X. I've owned both.

I originally bought a Series X, but sold it to my friend who wanted it way more then I did (I have a PS5 and a PC w/ RX580) at cost. About a month later I randomly saw that Microsoft had Series S available and thought "Hey it'll be my secondary console so I don't really need the X anyway" and played around with it but returned it after 2 weeks because I didn't care for it.
I bought a Series X tonight. Got a twitter notification that Microsoft had both X and S and went there a couple minutes later and checked out super easy.

Also I'll say this. I defended the Series S quite a bit until I owned one. I can't see many situations where I'd suggest the S over the X. Playing games like Hitman 3 and Forza Horizon 4 on the S left a bad taste in my mouth. Plus there are games that literally run at 720p on the Series S which is unacceptable for a next gen console.

I know you are stuck with a 720p tv right now so I guess if you absolutely can't wait then you could just sell it and not lose much if any money. I'm sure even the Series S looks great on a 720p tv.

Last edited:
Me personally I'd wait. But if you are on a 720p TV and will be for the forseeable future, I'd say just go for it. Worse comes to worse, you could sell it or set it up in a different room and use it for light gaming/streaming if you feel it's not doing enough for you in the future. If you absolutely can't wait, just jump in and embrace your choice and just play and have fun.

I think the S is pretty bad as your full on next gen game system, but it's pretty good if you already game elsewhere and/or just want a dropshippable Gamepass/streaming box.

Like I love Switch and spend lots of time on it because it's good for what it is. For a lot of people that would be enough for their game fix, but for me and most others on this board that would be laughable. I feel the same way about the S, enjoy it for what it is but let us know when you're ready for the main course.
I get so annoyed with the Switch as I've been playing a lot of Nintendo shit lately, and I love being able to take it to work and play before I start or at launch, but when I get home I find myself booting up the PC to play the same damn games at 100fps and ultrawide resolutions and I lament for what could be. I'm really hopeful that a Switch PRO/2/whatever has some sort of DLSS option to give me the choice for high/stable framerates.

Jesb

I’m considering one myself. Basically just want a a system for gamepass that would be an upgrade on my dated pc. Don’t own a 4K tv and will be playing in 1080p.

GHG

How much commission do you get for every Series S sold?

I've never seen anyone push a system so hard like this on this forum.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
If you are content with a 720p and that's gonna be your main tv for the foreseeable future there's no reason to wait as the highest end experience isn't something you're striving for.

If that's not the case and you have a better tv in your main area when you get back then I'd wait.

Vestal

Gold Member
How big a hole in your wallet is buying a Series S? Would you have use for it later on if you intend on getting an X?

If you have kids at home and multiple TVs along with a purchase not burning a hole in your wallet, I would go for it. Its an amazing little machine.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
If you can afford it, why not? Couple of months and you can resell or gift it after. Especially if you have a large digital backlog waiting for you. Could be worth checking out a switch instead as well since they are designed to travel well.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Series is very good if you don't care about 4K, it runs games at Xbone settings but at least they've been receiving a FPS Boost support little by little so once I get mine I'll enjoy pretty 60 fps on consoles too :D

Regarding power discussion, SFS talk we had these days should have cleared some questions regarding how much powerful the thing will be, not even One X will hold a chance with proper next gen games.

Wait. Series S needs to be discontinued. It never should have been made.
Damn you're so intense I've never thought of ignore an user before till reading you on the last couple XSS threads... FFS just go play on the thing you like and stop ths manbaby nonsense

Definitely wait. The improvement over the Series S is massive. Get an LG CX or newer model and the Series X, dump that 720 shit while you're at it. Go pick up an Xbox One X if you're insistent on not wanting to grab an actual "next-gen" console.

If your main system is 4k, I would get a series x. It would be funny on 720p screen but better for long run.

If your main system is 1080p, just get the S and be done with it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yeah man buy it, it’s fantastic.

For some reason the same 2 or 3 posters feel the need to come in to and spam every single Series S thread with their ‘expert’ opinion on why it’s shit. You can probably identify them pretty easily in this thread. They haven’t used one, and they clearly don’t even like Xbox, so it’s pretty bizarre behaviour.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Why wait?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the S. When you're able to pick up an X then just sell the S.

Games just run in lower resolution and if you have a 1080p monitor then its perfect. I play on my work monitor and 4K TV with my S and to be honest the resolution difference on the TV doesn't bother me at all. On my 1080p monitor the image quality is beautiful. Minor bit of softness on my 4K TV but nothing bad at all.
What I do enjoy is playing some games at 60FPS

Also Quick Resume is a game changer.

My console is up and I'm in a game in 20 seconds. Its these kinds of changes that make any next gen Xbox worth the purchase.
Listen to someone who uses the S. Seems like a good choice for your current display.

How much commission do you get for every Series S sold?

I've never seen anyone push a system so hard like this on this forum.
I don't like people lying about things they know nothing about. If you don't like the XSS don't buy one. Nonsense about it not being a current gen system, its going to be discontinued, it will perform worse as the generation proceeds and developers learn about the console get on my nerves. Plenty of people who actually own the system speak positively about it. People who don't and have an agenda speak negatively. I don't own one either but I've managed not to make up crap about it. Sorry that upsets you.

BigLee74

Coming from a 360? Don’t hesitate and buy the S. Despite being the baby brother, it will still blow you away.

Unlike a lot of the naysayers in here, I’ve got one in the household (my sons), and it’s a great machine.

sircaw

Banned
The truth is how long are you prepared to wait for an x to show up, if the s is available and you want to play now I would say go with it, if you know the x is going to show up in the very near future, a month or so, I would wait for that.

The underlying factor is, it sucks if you want to play games now and you don't have a system.

Personally, I still think the s is a tad bit overpriced compared to what you get with it vs the x, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom