• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S / Lockhart Details To Be Revealed Soon; Console Will Be Priced At Around $300 – Rumor

AmuroChan

Consumers will certainly have plenty of options this holiday. They can get a PS5, a disc-less PS5 that's equal in power, a Series X, or Lockhart which is less powerful than a Series X.

EDMIX

Is that a general feature or on a game to game basis, when we're talking Playstation?

?? Both are a game to game basis. Smart Delivery basically is cross buy, both are an option to the developer and not some requirement or "general feature" as right now I'm positive some are opting not to use Smart Delivery.

Tulipanzo

Its rational to speculate that if Lockhart is a thing, it will run all XSX games at lower specs. How hard or easy is to do it, I have no idea, im not a game developer. But if some of the current gen games can run on Switch (and I dont think theres a single case of a game that was downgraded on ps4/xbox to make it "possible" on Switch) I think its safe to guess that sth similar will happen here.
I'm not a game developer...
BUT

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

Its rational to speculate that if Lockhart is a thing, it will run all XSX games at lower specs. How hard or easy is to do it, I have no idea, im not a game developer. But if some of the current gen games can run on Switch (and I dont think theres a single case of a game that was downgraded on ps4/xbox to make it "possible" on Switch) I think its safe to guess that sth similar will happen here.
Serious reply, as you might genuinely not know: those impossible Switch ports take years and entire extra dev teams so the main team can actually work on making the game run.
Even so, after all that work, many of these ports still straight up run like garbage, like Outer Worlds most recently.

The Lockhart might not require as massive a commitment, but it's still a lot of extra work to make sure your game can look and run worse. Plus, continued X1 support means even tighter restrictions, possibly more severe than porting from X1 to Switch.

Im a developer actually.
Corrected the misquote

Last edited:

Marlenus

Just drop the resolution ! Easy.

Thanks to this amazing technology of lowering resolution you will be able to play Resident Evil 8 on WiiU and Switch.

The WiiU and Switch dont have the cpu grunt to run games without massive changes. This is why my caveat with the S is that the IO performance needs to be the same and the CPU ideally needs to be 8c16t Zen2 @ 3.5Ghz +.

Without that scaling based on resolution and rays cast alone will not work.

How you miss this in post after post baffles me.

Dontero

Banned
The WiiU and Switch dont have the cpu grunt to run games without massive changes. This is why my caveat with the S is that the IO performance needs to be the same and the CPU ideally needs to be 8c16t Zen2 @ 3.5Ghz +.

Without that scaling based on resolution and rays cast alone will not work.

How you miss this in post after post baffles me.

But you can just scale resolution and effects. Easy.

Pandor

Banned
Evidently since you do it on PC all the time. How do you think some games can scale from integrated graphics to a 2080Ti?

The difference is not that big. And what integrated graphics card has 4TFs?

Anyway. I don’t think Lockhart is coming. I think the PS5 will be crazy expensive, $599.

They would only go with Lockhart if PS5 is $499.

This way they can sell it at $499 and still be cheaper than PS5.

Marlenus

The difference is not that big. And what integrated graphics card has 4TFs?

Anyway. I don’t think Lockhart is coming. I think the PS5 will be crazy expensive, $599.

They would only go with Lockhart if PS5 is $499.

This way they can sell it at $499 and still be cheaper than PS5.

That is the point. Scaling from integrated to 2080Ti is a far wider gap than 4tf rdna2 to 12tf rdna2 so if the former can be done so can the latter with less effort.

Sw0pDiller

I feel the whole Lockhart agenda is being pushed because MS knows the series x will be more expensive than PS5. Now with Sony surprising many with a diskless SKU so they can afford shaving $100 off the normal SKU the need for a cheaper next gen xbox is screamingly loud. MS NEEDS Lockhart to stay competitive next gen. Nt on power, but on price and thus marketpenetration.

We all know power doesn't sell consoles. Price and games does. Secretly MS know this too, although shouting the "most powerfull" must feel nice... it's a smart move and the games will be the descisive factor...

Flintty

the same way PC devs allow games to run on any hardware? MS will do the heavy lifiting with the profiling, the games can be scaled down for 1080p serie s with i assume very little work.

Yeah and it’s probably easier developing with two SKUs in mind rather than the most basic potato, a super computer and every kind of spec in multiple configurations in between.

Settings will be predefined, obviously.

the same way PC devs allow games to run on any hardware? MS will do the heavy lifiting with the profiling, the games can be scaled down for 1080p serie s with i assume very little work.
Once again, another person is talking like he never played PC games before.
I wish those who don't play on PC would stop making stuff up to make Xbox look good. Nothing you said was true.

FireFly

Once again, another person is talking like he never played PC games before.
I wish those who don't play on PC would stop making stuff up to make Xbox look good. Nothing you said was true.
Every few pages we have the same discussion, the benchmarks get posted and then the arguments against performance scaling mysteriously disappear.

So, posting them again:

ZywyPL

Banned
Ever used the quality sliders on a PC game?

Same thing but with a few more steps.

That entire Jaguar CPU is about the same level of performance as a single core of XBX, so that does bring some genuine concerns. Graphics can be easily scaled down, just s simple resolution drop already does a good job, but animations, physics, AI etc.? That's not so easy, to say the least.

kuncol02

Banned
That entire Jaguar CPU is about the same level of performance as a single core of XBX, so that does bring some genuine concerns. Graphics can be easily scaled down, just s simple resolution drop already does a good job, but animations, physics, AI etc.? That's not so easy, to say the least.
From where you get that idea that XBox SS will have Jaguar CPU? If it exists it will have same CPU, maybe with 10-20% lower clock.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
My bad, I thought it was about current XB 1S. Why MS cannot use simple numbering with their console names like Sony does...
Because they would've been behind from the start. It's a bad marketing move. Would you buy the Xbox 2 (Xbox 360) or the PS3. People tend to think the 3 is better than the 2.

jaysius

Banned
It's possible that Lockhart Profiling is the code name for the Series X backwards compatibility?

This next gen graphics are already super mediocre, I wouldn't want to compromise more.

MastaKiiLA

Each profile is set in the software. The hardware probably has multiple settings that can be altered in each profile. Maybe even customizable based on custom fields that basically just activate specific features in the game engine, based on what's in the profile. I don't think it should be a major issue. Of what you listed, only physics should be really demanding of the hardware, and that should be easily modified like we see in PC game settings, where you have physics settings.

I think it's a smart solution for MS. If the XSS ends up being the most popular SKU, you can see development focus shifting to that platform, as far as compatibility is concerned. Put more effort into making that version look great, with the XSX as a bonus. But I don't expect that to be the case. I expect XSX to be the lead platform the full gen.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

So the only thing that will be different is amount of pixels displayed and possibly texture resolution. I think people will be surprised how popular this is buying for children. I'm mean what's the brat gonna say "mommy this isnt 4K!!!!!" Maybe we will get some funny videos of spoiled kids crying because they didnt get the Series X version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom