• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

reksveks

There are actually two rotating wheels - the other is a bit higher. I guess it is too late too give you a tip, but the trick for me was to jump sideways when he throws the knife (he signals the throw so it is easy to react to it). Then patiently wait as the knife makes a full circle.
Yeah, it was the jump off the second wheel that I was always messing up and then wasted so much time getting back up to the place so coach olly would have lost his health by then. I might try again at some point but moving on for now.

Roberts

Man, that Gamepass thing on Twitter was really entertaining and proved that Xbox community is stronger than ever.

in other news, I loaded up Metro Exodus to check out how it looks with RT. I finished the main game when it came out, so I used the opportunity to play both DLCs. I still don’t like some of artistic choices (face models still look creepy and bad), but I’m really enjoying both mini stories and their more linear approach works in its favour compared to these few open areas in the main game (Sam’s Story dlc, despite being set in an open area, is kind of linear). Anyway, if there are frame drops, I don’t see them and RT does a few interesting things with lighting.

Roberts

Yeah, it was the jump off the second wheel that I was always messing up and then wasted so much time getting back up to the place so coach olly would have lost his health by then. I might try again at some point but moving on for now.
I see, the trick is to jump once just when you are above the platform and then glide to it. if the controls were a bit more polished and precise, that part wouldn’t be a problem at all. The good news is that after that there is maybe one more frustrating part, but the rest is not that bad.

elliot5

Man, that Gamepass thing on Twitter was really entertaining and proved that Xbox community is stronger than ever.

in other news, I loaded up Metro Exodus to check out how it looks with RT. I finished the main game when it came out, so I used the opportunity to play both DLCs. I still don’t like some of artistic choices (face models still look creepy and bad), but I’m really enjoying both mini stories and their more linear approach works in its favour compared to these few open areas in the main game (Sam’s Story dlc, despite being set in an open area, is kind of linear). Anyway, if there are frame drops, I don’t see them and RT does a few interesting things with lighting.
Lol the game pass Twitter trend is cracking me up

WoodyStare

I’ve never personally had a Twitter but I stumbled upon a few memes in regards to Game Pass trending and had a good laugh. How did all of it originally start?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Maybe Twitter should make one thread where you can talk about Gamepass.

That ought to curtail the problem of people being excited for Gamepass. 😅
"tAlK aBoUt GaMeS nOt SeRvIcEs"
The service literally is games that's why it's called "Game Pass", muthafuckas.

The real issue is that it changes the paradigm from list wars of $70 games to requiring every 1st-party game from your company + dozens of brand new 3rd-party titles to be Day-1 for $5-10/month. Anything short of this and you lose.

This empowers Xbox GP players to be excited about every release because we all get the same games at launch for the yearly cost of a single game on another platform.

Hosam6xavi

Banned

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Have they announced the next lot of fantastic games with gold for July yet so we can all say what the fuck is this shit again in unison?

DaGwaphics

There was a group that did try to start that Twitter trend telling people to avoid GP.

I'm sure that sold more GP subs than it eliminated. :messenger_beaming:

Harts316

I'm excited for the Midway collection. It's always fun to play those games again. Even if it is for a few hours of nostalgia.

It's probably been 20 years since I've played Pit Fighter. I remember being floored by the graphics in that game back then.

Banjo64

cumsessed
"tAlK aBoUt GaMeS nOt SeRvIcEs"
The service literally is games that's why it's called "Game Pass", muthafuckas.

The real issue is that it changes the paradigm from list wars of $70 games to requiring every 1st-party game from your company + dozens of brand new 3rd-party titles to be Day-1 for $5-10/month. Anything short of this and you lose.

This empowers Xbox GP players to be excited about every release because we all get the same games at launch for the yearly cost of a single game on another platform.
I just feel sorry for the mods here as they must have been being absolutely bombarded by 10-20 absolute fruit cakes reporting every single Game Pass thread. No need to name names, we all know who I mean…

qv9zlbmf4szz.jpg

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I just feel sorry for the mods here as they must have been being absolutely bombarded by 10-20 absolute fruit cakes reporting every single Game Pass thread. No need to name names, we all know who I mean…
The mods do a good job all things considered. Once a week like to read the Bans page for a good chuckle.

I do wish there was a compromise between having too many threads and burying the excitement alive in the Communities section.

Naked Lunch

After weeks of trying with no luck - I was finally able to purchase a Series X today during a Best Buy drop.
They only offered in-store pickup - and its not arriving till this weekend, so im not going to believe it until I actually have it in my hands, but Im hopefully finally aboard.
I was going to wait for Halo but when they dropped that summer Flight Sim launch date I had to have it. :messenger_grinning:

Xbox has been my main console since the 360 days and post E3 2021 Im more excited than ever to be an Xbox fan.
Lots of good shit ahead.

Im also looking forward to playing PSO 2 New Genesis with a stable framerate - and even the new Halo 3 maps in the MCC are struggling on my One X.

Last edited:

Malachai

My Series X arrived today and I immediately queued Forza Horizon 4 after the set up was complete but it seems to be downloading very slowly. My Internet speed isn't a problem because everything downloads very fast on my PS5. I was expecting the Series X to be alot faster in this department tbh, seems no quicker than my vanilla Xbox One.

Gerdav

My Series X arrived today and I immediately queued Forza Horizon 4 after the set up was complete but it seems to be downloading very slowly. My Internet speed isn't a problem because everything downloads very fast on my PS5. I was expecting the Series X to be alot faster in this department tbh, seems no quicker than my vanilla Xbox One.
I don’t know if location makes a difference but I am in the U.K. and have been having the same issue intermittently for the last 2-3 weeks, updates can fluctuate from maxing my connection out to literally going to dial up speeds in the Kbps and anything and everything in between, it’s never been a issue with my ps5 or any other device in the house so it’s not my connection.

Malachai

I don’t know if location makes a difference but I am in the U.K. and have been having the same issue intermittently for the last 2-3 weeks, updates can fluctuate from maxing my connection out to literally going to dial up speeds in the Kbps and anything and everything in between, it’s never been a issue with my ps5 or any other device in the house so it’s not my connection.
Yeah im in the U.K. too and this is the exact same issue I'm having. I'm currently using WiFi so I might connect the ethernet cable and see if that makes a difference.

Gerdav

Yeah im in the U.K. too and this is the exact same issue I'm having. I'm currently using WiFi so I might connect the ethernet cable and see if that makes a difference.
Mine is wired up, my guess is it’s either new consoles or a influence of new Gamepass subscribers hammering the severs, or it could possibly be a isp issue, mine is Sky so it could be worth trying a different DNS.

Last edited:

Roberts

Sorry for stating the obvious, but if you played a game during the download, the speed decreases a whole lot - you need to suspend it. I’m using WiFi and my country doesn’t even support Xbox, but I get around 250 Mbps, sometimes a bit less

Malachai

Sorry for stating the obvious, but if you played a game during the download, the speed decreases a whole lot - you need to suspend it. I’m using WiFi and my country doesn’t even support Xbox, but I get around 250 Mbps, sometimes a bit less
It was during the first game I downloaded to my new console. The speed was fluctuating between 200+ to around 75mbps. I'm on a 500mb fibre optic connection so it definitely wasn't my Internet. It's not a big deal I was just surprised that the PS5 downloads alot quicker even on WiFi.

b0uncyfr0

Go to options and you can choose between quality and performance mode. Then you know that you have the updated version.

It’s a night and day difference between the two.
Cheers - actually I'm playing on an old 50hz 1080p screen and the quality mode looks slightly better, by your reply - it should look much better. I really need a new TV.

DaGwaphics

That's unfortunate. My series S definitely has better WiFi than the old X1, I can max out my connection now (impossible before).

Man ever since E3 I feel like the console war shit has escalated, and the main forum has become borderline unreadable. I feel like the Bethesda thing, the confirmation that their games will be exclusive, and them saying they aren't done buying studios has really hurt some people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:messenger_beaming: That's kind of the charm of the general threads. Sony will announce something new (literally anything) and order will be restored.

reksveks

Maybe afterwards they'll show a XSS build. Really interested in seeing what XSS is/isn't capable of in UE5.
Performance and memory observations will be covered for Xbox Series X and S, as well as VFX, Blueprint, material setup, Temporal Super Resolution, and Virtual Texture findings.

But yeah, it probably will just be a section of the longer demo build. I do wonder if they will feel the need to have a high speed transversal demonstration

DaGwaphics

Performance and memory observations will be covered for Xbox Series X and S, as well as VFX, Blueprint, material setup, Temporal Super Resolution, and Virtual Texture findings.

But yeah, it probably will just be a section of the longer demo build. I do wonder if they will feel the need to have a high speed transversal demonstration

Guilty as charged of not reading the article. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hopefully they do something really eye popping, and a little more lived in than what Epic has been showing. We've seen enough barren rockscapes.

Naked Lunch

Took some effort the past few months/weeks but it finally happened:
RtEts46.jpg

How cool is it powering up a console and having access to 100s of games from your entire history with the console line?
With the press of a button im downloading stuff I bought in 2007. Just awesome.

Going thru some rapid fire tests:
-Sam Sho loading drastically reduced which killed the one x version.

-World of Tanks actually runs at 60fps - been sub 30 on the 360/one/oneX for years. I quit the game because they refused to prioritize framerate. Everytime I asked on the official wot console forums if the xsx version got a fps boost, no one replied and it was never advertised on their site or anywhere.

-Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis may as well be a different game from the One x version - borderline unplayable on last gen. Cant wait to sink in to this one.

-Ace Combat 6 (the 360 one) had some glitches and hangs in the mission briefing bits. Hopefully this gets a 60 fps boost.

-I planned on testing more, but I got stuck playing Halo MCC mp. Just too good. I posted a few lines up I was hoping the Series X version cleaned up the framerate of the new Halo 3 maps. It does. Its almost like they are forcing the hardcore Halo heads to upgrade now releasing those maps with so many framey problems on last gen - this strat worked on me. :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Halo multiplayer is probably the main reason I still play videogames - and the MCC is pretty much Halo perfection on the Series X.

For some reason my aim was super on point in Halo 3 mp - I credit the new controller I think. I absolutely love it. Im not sure exactly what or why but it feels better to me than the XB One controller. My BR was like the 360 days all over again.

I see that Blaster Master Zero finally launched on xbox which is cool - welcome surprise.

Im hopeful shmups make their way back to the console. M2 Shot Triggers used to be on Xbox but vanished. All the shmups is one thing pushing me towards getting a switch sooner or later - but if they pop up on xbox again id be very happy. I saw that Xbox is finally teaming up with Limited Run so maybe theres a chance something with shmups will come out of that?

Im just happy I got one in time for the Flight Sim launch. Probably going to get that storage card and be done with it.

Sorry for the long post - new consoles get me amped!

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Took some effort the past few months/weeks but it finally happened:
RtEts46.jpg

How cool is it powering up a console and having access to 100s of games from your entire history with the console line?
With the press of a button im downloading stuff I bought in 2007. Just awesome.

Going thru some rapid fire tests:
-Sam Sho loading drastically reduced which killed the one x version.

-World of Tanks actually runs at 60fps - been sub 30 on the 360/one/oneX for years. I quit the game because they refused to prioritize framerate. Everytime I asked on the official wot console forums if the xsx version got a fps boost, no one replied and it was never advertised on their site or anywhere.

-Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis may as well be a different game from the One x version - borderline unplayable on last gen. Cant wait to sink in to this one.

-Ace Combat 6 (the 360 one) had some glitches and hangs in the mission briefing bits. Hopefully this gets a 60 fps boost.

-I planned on testing more, but I got stuck playing Halo MCC mp. Just too good. I posted a few lines up I was hoping the Series X version cleaned up the framerate of the new Halo 3 maps. It does. Its almost like they are forcing the hardcore Halo heads to upgrade now releasing those maps with so many framey problems on last gen - this strat worked on me. :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Halo multiplayer is probably the main reason I still play videogames - and the MCC is pretty much Halo perfection on the Series X.

For some reason my aim was super on point in Halo 3 mp - I credit the new controller I think. I absolutely love it. Im not sure exactly what or why but it feels better to me than the XB One controller. My BR was like the 360 days all over again.

I see that Blaster Master Zero finally launched on xbox which is cool - welcome surprise.

Im hopeful shmups make their way back to the console. M2 Shot Triggers used to be on Xbox but vanished. All the shmups is one thing pushing me towards getting a switch sooner or later - but if they pop up on xbox again id be very happy. I saw that Xbox is finally teaming up with Limited Run so maybe theres a chance something with shmups will come out of that?

Im just happy I got one in time for the Flight Sim launch. Probably going to get that storage card and be done with it.

Sorry for the long post - new consoles get me amped!
You skipped over my favorite part of getting a series X. The box itself.

It is fucking incredible how it looks and makes you feel when you open it

You know it's something great when you see it there, and then when you pick it up and realize it's mass.

You know a ton of thought went into it

Naked Lunch

You skipped over my favorite part of getting a series X. The box itself.

It is fucking incredible how it looks and makes you feel when you open it

You know it's something great when you see it there, and then when you pick it up and realize it's mass.

You know a ton of thought went into it
Oh absolutely. Great packaging - easily the best console box ive seen.
I even like the way the wires are bundled with that special peel tape over typical twisties.
The box fits nicely too on my jenga-like topself full of my museum-like console boxes display from Dreamcast to SNES.
The console itself reminds me of the monolith from 2001, heh.

Couple more things:
I know I read from MS themselves not to plug the Xbox One X into a surge protector - but is that the case for the Series X as well? Im seeing mixed things online. I use a very high quality APC brand surge protector.

HDD space is an issue for me because the OCD in me has to have everything installed at all times. Even with the storage expansion its not going to be enough. Some games are tricky to install like Fallout 3+NV's DLC from the GOTY editions on disc.
I guess I'll just have to get over not having everything installed.

Many of these games ARE X/S optimized but they are not labeled as such - im just doing testing on my own. The aforementioned World of Tanks jumps to 60fps and PSO2 gets a big boost, but so does Skyrim, Sekiro and im sure plently of others. Theyre gonna have to work on that X/S label being that you can even sort your gamelist by the X/S optimized.

Ill say it again, but as a near daily Halo MCC mp player for the past few years on the One and One X - something just feels different about the game on the Series X. Maybe others wont or havent noticed, but to me it plays to perfection on this new console.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I gave my son a Series S for his birthday a couple days ago. Picked it up from GameStop during the recent stock drop. I also had an extra little Seagate 2TB external USB drive laying around, so he got that too. He is blown away by the loading times and quick resume compared to his old One S. He was happy about the share/capture button, too. Next up he needs a 120Hz+ monitor.

Series S is a great console for a teen who has limited space in their room, where a XSX and big 4K TV don't really make sense, especially on a budget. We'll see how it goes, but I think it's feasible to get a XSS, 22-24" 1080p 120-144Hz monitor, and year of GP Ultimate for under $500.

Last edited:
Top Bottom