• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

elliot5

Ever now and again, the lack of Play Anywhere support makes me sad.

Frozen on where/how to buy Tales of Arise.
You mean like on PC or Xbox because it isn't play anywhere? If it's PS vs Xbox I'd prob just get it on Xbox to show support for it on the platform, though that would be determined by reviews on performance

reksveks

You mean like on PC or Xbox because it isn't play anywhere? If it's PS vs Xbox I'd prob just get it on Xbox to show support for it on the platform, though that would be determined by reviews on performance
Yeah, PC Steam or Xbox , I am doing it on a case by case basis at the moment. I am siding with Xbox for tales cause I am probably going to remote play that mostly.

Kimahri

Banned
Ever now and again, the lack of Play Anywhere support makes me sad.

Frozen on where/how to buy Tales of Arise.
Yeah, I hear you. I really wish Microsoft would push harder on this towards devs making games for their platform. It's such a great feature.

However, with cloud gaming it's slowly becoming less important. Although streaming quality isn't perfect for me, with some blurry image quality, I've played several games through a browser and the experience has been pretty good. I think it'll be great in the future.

Jebron

Man.. I hadn't played my Series X since February, was too busy with my PS backlog (TLoU2, GoT, Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, and GGS most recently). I fired up the Series X last night and played some MCC, Destiny 2, and this morning played some FH4. I noticed something huge about Game Pass that hadn't really payed attention to before. With PS, I feel this pressure to finish games or get the most out of every single title. Sometimes it's anxiety inducing, and turns me off of playing for a week or two. Since February I've been on a mission to eliminate my PlayStation AAA backlog, and it sucked some of the fun out of the games to be honest. Logging into my Series X last night made me realize that with Game Pass, a lot of the pressure for me to finish the backlog of games I've spent hundreds of dollars on is gone. I feel much more freedom to fire up whatever is in the catalogue that tickles my fancy at the moment, without feeling bad that I have half a dozen other games I "should" be playing instead. If I don't ever finish Outer Worlds, it's not really a big deal because I didn't spend $70 on it.

Anyone else find this? As someone with only an hour or two each day to wind down, I really appreciate that it takes some of the stress out of playing and finishing what I've purchased.

Man.. I hadn't played my Series X since February, was too busy with my PS backlog (TLoU2, GoT, Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, and GGS most recently). I fired up the Series X last night and played some MCC, Destiny 2, and this morning played some FH4. I noticed something huge about Game Pass that hadn't really payed attention to before. With PS, I feel this pressure to finish games or get the most out of every single title. Sometimes it's anxiety inducing, and turns me off of playing for a week or two. Since February I've been on a mission to eliminate my PlayStation AAA backlog, and it sucked some of the fun out of the games to be honest. Logging into my Series X last night made me realize that with Game Pass, a lot of the pressure for me to finish the backlog of games I've spent hundreds of dollars on is gone. I feel much more freedom to fire up whatever is in the catalogue that tickles my fancy at the moment, without feeling bad that I have half a dozen other games I "should" be playing instead. If I don't ever finish Outer Worlds, it's not really a big deal because I didn't spend $70 on it.

Anyone else find this? As someone with only an hour or two each day to wind down, I really appreciate that it takes some of the stress out of playing and finishing what I've purchased.
I feel the same way. Game Pass has allowed me to completely give up on games that are just not clicking with me. Even when they're not connecting with me, at least I got some hours poured into it so it doesn't feel like a loss. I gave Star Renegades the best try I could and simply decided to give it up. Finished Control and enjoy that well enough. Hotshot Racing is lots of Daytona USA meets Virtual Racing fun. Tried Going Under and that didn't click for me. Girlfriend is currently playing Call of the Sea, and we're both playing A Way Out.

Basically, Game Pass allows me to dip my toes into so many different games without worrying about the cost. Love that aspect of it.

Yep this happens for me too. It feels a bit ironic sometimes, because if I own a game there actually is no pressure to finish it because I'll own it forever, but I have to keep paying for the subscription service. I agree that it comes down to the low barrier to entry for a lot of these games so the sunk cost fallacy never gets in the way. I loved Control so I decided to give Quantum Break a shot despite the mixed reviews. I finished about half of it before it started to get old (the combat was nowhere near as satisfying) but it was easy to quit and move on to something else. I can re-download in the future if I want to finish but if that never happens, that's fine too. Really the only pressure I feel to finish a game is i I know something is releasing soon and I want to clear up some space on the SSD.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I gave my son a Series S for his birthday a couple days ago. Picked it up from GameStop during the recent stock drop. I also had an extra little Seagate 2TB external USB drive laying around, so he got that too. He is blown away by the loading times and quick resume compared to his old One S. He was happy about the share/capture button, too. Next up he needs a 120Hz+ monitor.

Series S is a great console for a teen who has limited space in their room, where a XSX and big 4K TV don't really make sense, especially on a budget. We'll see how it goes, but I think it's feasible to get a XSS, 22-24" 1080p 120-144Hz monitor, and year of GP Ultimate for under $500.
I got the Series S, an EX2520 and 3 years of Game Pass Ultimate for £570. Such a stupidly small investment in my opinion.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I got the Series S, an EX2520 and 3 years of Game Pass Ultimate for £570. Such a stupidly small investment in my opinion.
I couldn't find EX2520 monitor, is that a new version of BenQ EX2510? It's hard to know what monitors work with S|X 120fps mode. BenQ at least clearly defines what models support it. Looks like their most affordable model is ~$220usd. I'm looking for something in the $150 range. ASUS has a 24" 1080p monitor(VG248QG) that seems decent for $189usd on Amazon, too. Will probably wait until Black Friday or Cyber Monday for the best deal possible and it will be a Christmas present.

*edit* I'm reading some user reviews on the ASUS(VG248QG) and they claim it caps consoles on HDMI at 60fps? This shit is too confusing.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I couldn't find EX2520 monitor, is that a new version of BenQ EX2510? It's hard to know what monitors work with S|X 120fps mode. BenQ at least clearly defines what models support it. Looks like their most affordable model is ~$220usd. I'm looking for something in the $150 range. ASUS has a 24" 1080p monitor(VG248QG) that seems decent for $189usd on Amazon, too. Will probably wait until Black Friday or Cyber Monday for the best deal possible and it will be a Christmas present.

*edit* I'm reading some user reviews on the ASUS(VG248QG) and they claim it caps consoles on HDMI at 60fps? This shit is too confusing.
Sorry yeah it’s EX2510!

The AOC 24g2 is also great and a bit cheaper than the EX2510. Both allow 120fps over HDMI.

Artistic

Can anyone explain to me why MS decided to go with 4 TFlops on the Series S?

I'm not good with specs, but that makes it a weaker console than the One X on the graphics side right? What about the rest of the hardware?

I'm not good with specs, but that makes it a weaker console than the One X on the graphics side right? What about the rest of the hardware?
GPU is much less powerful and there's less and slower memory versus the Series X. Same CPU and storage capabilities though. With that said, Series S is plenty more powerful than One X.

Last edited:

elliot5

RDNA2 is much more efficient especially with the better Zen CPU. TF counts don't matter as much for apples to apples comparison. It's an overall improvement.

Helghan

It's more about the difference in power between the Xbox Series X and the Series S.

The XSX was created to get the best for native 4K gaming, XSS gives you the same for 1080p gaming. You don't need more than that, there aren't any other TV resolutions between those.

Hawke502

GPU is much less powerful and there's less and slower memory versus the Series X. Same CPU and storage capabilities though. With that said, Series S is plenty more powerful than One X.
No, different architectures, the Series S uses RDNA 2 that is more powerful than RDNA 1, which the One X uses

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
No, different architectures, the Series S uses RDNA 2 that is more powerful than RDNA 1, which the One X uses
Small correction: One X has a Polaris(GCN gen4) GPU. It's a like a bigger RX 480 with customization.
Do I still need a developer account to install retroarch on a series s?
Yes. It's $20 for a lifetime license. *edit* In the other thread a Reddit link was posted that at some point a few months ago Retail whitelisting was available again. From the Dominater01 discord server it's hard to tell if it's still available.
Here's the reddit link...
No idea if it’s still working

I read somewhere that it was in beta and Retroarch might come back to the store for real soon. Seems like wishful thinking but it would be awesome if it happened.
Can’t wait for Xbox to turn 100% into a Windows 11 box so we don’t need all these hurdles for emulators and mods etc.
Edit: lol just noticed that I already wrote about this earlier in the thread

Last edited:

splattered

If this happens it will fun for some days here in gaf lol
Also, maybe MS is keeping some secrets to counter a future state of play. A big new batch of FPS boost games is plausible.

I'm sure they're keeping more than just fps boosted games for summer announcements... i'm wondering when we're gonna see the next batch of BC titles drop. I'm hoping this summer!

silentstorm

Game Pass does allow one to try games and since you didn't buy them technically, you are free to ignore them, i did it for Cyber Shadow, i really like Shovel Knight, but despite being made by the same guys, i found Cyber Shadow to have a lot less charm to it and thus...i just gave up and never looked back.

However, i tried Bug Fables and i am enjoying the game a lot, it's basically the closest thing to Paper Mario on Xbox, only it's about a fantasy world of bugs and you find stuff like the Ant Kingdom's castle being an ant hill, or a cardboard box being used as a shop, small fun things like that.

And yes, combat is very much Paper Mario esque, got an diamond achievement just for beating the first boss...granted, it was in Hard mode but apparently only 8% of people did this, to be fair, the 1st boss's poison breath attack is just awfully annoying to deal with.

JLB

Banned
I'm sure they're keeping more than just fps boosted games for summer announcements... i'm wondering when we're gonna see the next batch of BC titles drop. I'm hoping this summer!

oh for sure, but I was referring more to have something to counter any news from tomorrow.

Naked Lunch

Have they said recently there are more BC titles on the way? Or is this just wishful thinking?
My heart would explode if Outrun 2 somehow made the BC list.
Still waiting on Bangai-O Missile Fury too.

splattered

Have they said recently there are more BC titles on the way? Or is this just wishful thinking?
My heart would explode if Outrun 2 somehow made the BC list.
Still waiting on Bangai-O Missile Fury too.

Nope sorry nothing recently that i'm aware of but they have said that the program is still very much alive and kicking... just waiting for them to kick down the door with a new batch of announcements :)

WoodyStare

Tried remote play with my Series X over LTE on iPhone for the first time in a while and it ran almost flawlessly. It was so satisfying being able to download Dark Souls 3 to the console within 5 minutes (I have Fios) and have it sync my years old save while running at 60FPS. Quick resume even works just as well. Really impressed with the work they’ve done so far.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Letting go of the past is never easy. Just ask All-4-One. But with Xbox All Access, it gets easier. Get an Xbox Series X|S and 24 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, All-4-One low monthly price. Just like the new songs says, It's All There.

Artistic

Is The Outer Worlds worth a purchase? Was thinking about picking it up today from Best Buy, but decided to hold off for now. Don't have GamePass, so that's not a option.

Havoc2049

Is The Outer Worlds worth a purchase? Was thinking about picking it up today from Best Buy, but decided to hold off for now. Don't have GamePass, so that's not a option.
If you enjoy sci-fi RPGs and CRPGs, then you may enjoy it. I enjoyed it and I'm glad I played it, but it isn't as good as say the Mass Effect series. The writing and missions get a little predictable after a while. You can tell the staff had an axe to grind and a social agenda they wanted to push. They are a little heavy handed in their approach and all the characters end up being very predictable and one dimensional.

I couldn't finish it. The first planet and the whole Edgewater arc was pretty fun but once I got to Groundbreaker I started to get bored and I dropped the game when I got to Monarch.

I absolutely love Fallout New Vegas and Alpha Protocol so I know Obsidian has a lot of talent but The Outer Worlds didn't do it for me.

silentstorm

Sometimes it's easy to tell when players usually stop playing, beat Chapter 2 of Bug Fables and i get two diamond achievements and the sound appearing, i thought it was about beating it in hard mode, but that's 3% of gamers, only 7% of Xbox gamers have beaten chapter 2, i know it's rare for people to finish games but wow, that is a big difference.

Nothing much happened...but i guess that's it, it just goes a bit harder with puzzles but the combat doesn't change at all and it feels like the part of a RPG where you unlock nothing new so you are just stuck with the same attacks, you can't even change equipment, still...damn, that was a drop in completion rate for gamers.

Naked Lunch

Been working on installing my physical and digital game collection on my Series X.
Putting all non-X/S optimized/specific games on an external 4TB HDD. I swear installing from disc takes ages longer than on Xbox 1 for some reason.

Theres been some funky disc installs for a bunch of games that give the message: "this content doesnt work right now."
Ive discovered some crazy workarounds for this.
For my disc copy of Bioshock: it says "content doesnt work" when I put the game in. You basically have to go to the store - search for the Bioshock DLC - from there it says DLC works with - and Bioshock is listed 6 different times. For one of those versions, if you have the disc in the tray, it lets you install the game. Hopefully they clean this kinda stuff up.

This has been a days long project at this point - but once its done - its done for good.
Ive been pleasently surprised by all the games im testing that got a bump to 60fps that werent really advertised or talked about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom