• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Felensis

Banned
One more thing I've discovered: When using the new emojis with the on-screen keyboard I was wondering why the selection is so limited only to discover that when you're holding the A button on some emojis then you'll get a more wider selection of related emojis.

Simbo

Neo Member
I must say I've been hugely disappointed in HDR gaming. I've got an Xbox One S with Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4 and they both look really bland.

HDR still has me a bit confused as some people say it gives the colours a lot more punch whilst others say the effects are a lot more subtle. Microsoft even advertise the HDR gaming on the One S as making the colours "more luminous" whereas my experience has been quite the opposite.

Chorazin

I must say I've been hugely disappointed in HDR gaming. I've got an Xbox One S with Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4 and they both look really bland.

HDR still has me a bit confused as some people say it gives the colours a lot more punch whilst others say the effects are a lot more subtle. Microsoft even advertise the HDR gaming on the One S as making the colours "more luminous" whereas my experience has been quite the opposite.

Horizon 3 looks ridiculously good with HDR on my LG. Not sure why it's not looking that good for you.

shanew21

What TV are you playing on? If it's a Samsung, turn on Dynamic Contrast.

Possibly a setting issue. Have you enabled HDR on the TV input - then run the Xbox S TV wizard to check it's all correct?

Vuze

Just played some Gears 3 and used BC for the first time. I really enjoy how flawless BC works and how seamless the integration feels. The game also holds up ridiculously well graphics-wise. Sure, resolution induced aliasing etc but apart from that? Color me surprised. I'm really happy they introduced this feature, I never had a 360 and missed some great last gen multi plats.

Also is there a way to take a screenshot of the dashboard? Wanted to share one on my twitter because I customized it quite a bit and I love the sleek look. Double tapping the Xbox button doesn't work though, it just opens my side menu.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i bought an XB1S a few weeks ago. traded in my PS4 towards it. it is making a lot of noises and i'm not sure if it's normal. i've read that this particular model has issues with the fan. there is a constant chirping sound but i think that may just be the HDD needle, right?

also, when i was just playing Skate 3 i noticed a louder grinding noise while the game was paused. it wasn't a constant noise but it was happening every few seconds or so. the first chirping sound i could only hear when i put my ear close to the console but the grinding noise i heard while sitting on my bed maybe about 15ft away. it was only after loading the game up. after a while it stopped completely. could that have been the HDD? the fan/hdd are the only moving parts. it didn't sound like the fan. i don't know what it was. it's not happening all the time so hopefully nothing to worry about.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Bought a 1tb white XB1s yesterday and gave ny old XB1 away.

I have to say it's the best looking console ive owned to date.

i wasn't sure about the white and was gonna hold off for the grey model but i'm so glad i got the white as it looks so nice. i've been on playstation since the original and have to say the last good looking one was the PS2. also the xb1 controller is far better than the DS4. battery life is incredible. i've been playing for a few weeks now on the AA batteries that came with it and it's not even half way through them. the DS4 could only last a day or 2 for me.

Haines

Banned
I can't find a guide for going from one xbox to another.

Help?

While I'm asking. I'm looking for proper settings for 4khdr. Does the xbox do this on its own or do I need to go in and change some stuff manually.

Izuna

Banned
I can't find a guide for going from one xbox to another.

Help?

While I'm asking. I'm looking for proper settings for 4khdr. Does the xbox do this on its own or do I need to go in and change some stuff manually.

Hmm..

Set Home Xbox... that's about it.

If you wanted to transfer stuff, you would have to use an external HDD.

Otherwise just download your profile. Everything is in the cloud anyway.

Haines

Banned
Hmm..

Set Home Xbox... that's about it.

If you wanted to transfer stuff, you would have to use an external HDD.

Otherwise just download your profile. Everything is in the cloud anyway.

OK. Easy enough!

And the 4khdr settings just happen on there own? Only game I have is gears.

horkrux

So I caved and bought an XB1S. Selling the games it came with will put it at around 200€ which was too nice to pass up.

OF COURSE the fan had to start making this stupid rattling noise everyone's talking about and it's audible from across.. I don't know, like the entire room. I'm always gaming with headphones, but now I've started to hear it regardless when I'm sitting right next to it and there is no audio playing. In any case I couldn't have lived with it.
It's a nice looking system, maybe the best looking system I've ever had, but this is so infuriating. I sure hope the replacement will be quiet :(

The fan of my 360 Elite also started rattling, but that was years after I bought it dammit.

So I was thinking of getting an Xbox One S during the Black Friday sales and have a few questions:

Will the HDMI that comes with the console be decent enough to connect to a 4K TV, or should I get a separate better one?

What sort of deals and prices do people expect to see on the Black Friday in the UK?

Lastly, I have never had an Xbox before, so whats the crack with Xbox Live? is it something I pay for, or is that Live Gold?

Izuna

Banned
OK. Easy enough!

And the 4khdr settings just happen on there own? Only game I have is gears.

I don't really know. I think if you go to settings you'll be able to enable the upscale 4K stuff. I think HDR is enabled in game if you have it. They have a way to test it under Video Settings.

The Xbox One S is only going to tell you if you have compatibility.

From what I have heard, your TV should have any HDR related settings to auto, and that they usually tell you if it is enabled.

Izuna

Banned
So I was thinking of getting an Xbox One S during the Black Friday sales and have a few questions:

Will the HDMI that comes with the console be decent enough to connect to a 4K TV
, or should I get a separate better one?

What sort of deals and prices do people expect to see on the Black Friday in the UK?

Lastly, I have never had an Xbox before, so whats the crack with Xbox Live? is it something I pay for, or is that Live Gold?

Of course, =) The one that comes with the box is a Hi-Speed cable (even the OG Xbox One came with one).

You have to pay for Xbox LIVE Gold to play online and get the monthly games. I think you can join parties even without it though. If you're sharing your Xbox with anyone else, your Gold membership works for all accounts on the console.

For UK, check Tesco Direct. They have some pretty good deals. You can get the BF1 bundle, then sell all the extra games at CeX and it'll come to under £200

Of course, =) The one that comes with the box is a Hi-Speed cable (even the OG Xbox One came with one).

You have to pay for Xbox LIVE Gold to play online and get the monthly games. I think you can join parties even without it though. If you're sharing your Xbox with anyone else, your Gold membership works for all accounts on the console.

For UK, check Tesco Direct. They have some pretty good deals. You can get the BF1 bundle, then sell all the extra games at CeX and it'll come to under £200

Cool thanks :)

Colbert

Banned
That sounds good, but I want a version of Gears of War 4 that also has the PC version. Do any of the bundles offer this?

I am not sure but if the bundle comes with a digital code it is a given that it is Play Anywhere. Maybe someone bought the bundle can confirm it ...

Edit:
German Amazon product description says the copy of Gears 4 is Play Anywhere!

I've looked through some of the Black Friday Ads and most of the biggest deals are on 500GB models.

I'm thinking I want 1TB at least, but I don't see any awesome deals.

Target has the Gears 4 1TB (In white, which I want) for $299. Anything better to wait for?

Montresor

Someone help me please! Is there anyone in Canada familiar with this promotion: https://rewards.xbox.com/x1s-console-upgrade/. This is a offer where you can get an Xbox One S for $300 Canadian, and you'll get $50 credit back and a free retail disc game.

In the FAQ, it says only someone that is buying an Xbox One for the first time can get the $50 credit: https://rewards.xbox.com/console-gold-upgrade-offer/terms-and-conditions/

But in the detailed Terms And Conditions, they don't specify that at all: https://rewards.xbox.com/console-gold-upgrade-offer/terms-and-conditions/.

So which is it? I have an XB1S already but I want to buy one for my brother and I want to get the $50 in XBL currency.'

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't read the FAQ section carefully. I have a green light! Woot!

I've looked through some of the Black Friday Ads and most of the biggest deals are on 500GB models.

Target has the Gears 4 1TB (In white, which I want) for $299. Anything better to wait for?

Get one of the $250 deals then use the money saved towards an external. You'll get more space overall and games load faster from the external.

It's so easy and relatively cheap to add external storage to the XB1 that I don't really see a need for more than the 500GB standard. I bought a 4TB external drive for my OG XB1 that I simply unplugged and plugged into my XB1s when I upgraded. Everything was already there and I didn't have to backup or download a thing. Keeping everything external is the way to go, IMO.

Now if you are one of these people that is distressed by having anything external plugged in, I understand. My external is hidden behind some other stuff in my entertainment center but it might not be possible for you.

I'm looking for some deals on 12 month Gold subs. Past years they've gone as low as $35 but all I can see now are ads for 3 month cards at $15. Is that the best we're getting this year?

I'm looking for some deals on 12 month Gold subs. Past years they've gone as low as $35 but all I can see now are ads for 3 month cards at $15. Is that the best we're getting this year?

$45.99 on CD Keys is the best I can find right now, but I would be interested in a better deal too.

EDIT: NM, it looks out of stock.

dickroach

Finally pulled the trigger on ordering an S last night.
$299 for the 1TB Halo Bundle + Forza Horizon 2 on Microsoft.com. can't wait (they have a bunch of $299 bundles with an additional free game up)

Are wifi issues known to be a problem with the One S?

I recently switched over from an Elite Xbox One to the Storm Grey One S and have had nothing but issues with WiFi since day one. Never had any of these issues before.

I believe it is not my network as everything else connects just fine, laptops, desktops, phones, iPads. I continually get disconnected from Xbox Live every single time.

I'll turn on the system, everything works, get into a MP game (BF1, Overwatch) play for roughly 5 mins, get disconnected. Restart, get back into game, get disconnected in 5 mins. I've never experienced anything like this before.

Is it my One S? Might have to return it.

BFIB

Are wifi issues known to be a problem with the One S?

I recently switched over from an Elite Xbox One to the Storm Grey One S and have had nothing but issues with WiFi since day one. Never had any of these issues before.

I believe it is not my network as everything else connects just fine, laptops, desktops, phones, iPads. I continually get disconnected from Xbox Live every single time.

I'll turn on the system, everything works, get into a MP game (BF1, Overwatch) play for roughly 5 mins, get disconnected. Restart, get back into game, get disconnected in 5 mins. I've never experienced anything like this before.

Is it my One S? Might have to return it.
You try resetting your router?

zmet

My disc drive crapped out on me this past Monday and I've only used the unit three times before that. The funny thing is that it's an intermittent problem. The disc would read fine one moment, and the next moment it doesn't see it at all. I'm just hoping Microsoft sends me back a unit that is just as mint as the one I'm sending them, because I've read that's not always the case.

jadedm17

Cheapassgamer and Fatwallet are your best friends.

Theyve been $35-40 a lot of places (Newegg, walmart, bestbuy etc) this year - which continues the yearly trend - but the important thing to remember is to jump when you see XBL or PSN cards cheap; If you have an existing sub then chances are likely youll see $35-40 deals before the year ends but if youre in a corner youre paying a fee to get out.

Alternatively you can tell customer service youre canceling (works best when autorenewed) because you found a better deal and sometimes theyll just renew you for said $40.

SOLDIER

Nabbed the Gears of War 4 1TB bundle from an eBay BF sale for $220, thanks to a $50 coupon I got for selling my older PS4.

I want to put up my original XB1 to cover most of the cost, but I had a couple of questions first:

1. Is there a way to change channels using your voice without the Kinect? Are there any third party microphones or devices that will work, or does it only work with the Kinect?

2. Is there any reason to keep the Kinect at this point? I enjoyed using it for D4, as flimsly as it was, but the voice recognition for changing channels has been a lot worse since the Cortana update. I also now have an Xfinity remote that has a way better voice recognition for changing channels. Is there a way to get that remote working with the Xbox?

3. Do I need to deactivate the system from my account or anything like I do with the PS4? Or can I simply just reset the settings once the time comes to sell it?

4. I also plan to include the Lunar White controller, since I sold the default controller some time ago. Ideally I'd like to get $200 total, so I'm wondering whether to toss in the Kinect or if I'll get that much with the controller and the internal 500GB drive?

im_dany

1. I don't know if Cortana does have that specific feature, but it works with the chat headset too now

2. In case you want to keep your Kinect (remember to ask for the free adapter from the Microsoft support chat btw) you can go back to the older "Xbox ..." commands if you didn't like how Cortana worked

3. When choosing to format the console, it should ask you if you want a full format, which means it'd delete any Xbox Home association, or just the games & profiles data but if you haven't set your new one as your Xbox Home, your games will stay in the ready to install list

4. Kinect isn't worth much nowadays, Gamestop in Italy sell the used one for 50€

SOLDIER

I'll probably keep the Kinect. I should probably be able to sell it for $200 with the Lunar White.

I like the White's design, but the S controller is also white. And last I checked it's supposed to have an improved build, right?

im_dany

I'll probably keep the Kinect. I should probably be able to sell it for $200 with the Lunar White.

I like the White's design, but the S controller is also white. And last I checked it's supposed to have an improved build, right?

The X button is worse IMHO (didn't have the Lunar White specifically, but one of the 3.5mm ones) and people say the grip was better then, but it has built-in Bluetooth which makes it easier if you have a PC to play with it, because you wouldn't have to keep a cable around or buy the external adapter.

I have the Lunar White and also the new S controller. The only difference I've noticed beside the rubber grips on the Lunar and the Bluetooth on the S is that LB-RB shoulder buttons are easier to depress on the S. In fact they may be too easy, I have to be careful to not hit it by accident. I've gone back to the Lunar White because of this and the grips, personally.

Top Bottom