• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Is there a way to move pins to the top? I was going to buy the Xbox One Media Remote, but there doesn't appear to be a way to jump to pins. I know it's the right trigger on the controller.

ElNino

Does the Xbox One S make noise like the original Xbox One when on instant-on mode?
When it's active (ie. downloading/updating) then mine makes a very slight sound, but it is much quieter than my launch day Xbox One was, or than the power brick at least since that is where most of the sound came from.

Dave_6

My 1TB S is on the way and should be here in a couple days. Is there a way (like with a PS4) to connect my old One to the S to transfer everything or am I going to have to re-download everything?

im_dany

My 1TB S is on the way and should be here in a couple days. Is there a way (like with a PS4) to connect my old One to the S to transfer everything or am I going to have to re-download everything?

You saves are on the cloud automatically if you play online, your games can be stored on an external HDD if you don't use one already. You'd just have to launch every game on your new system so it'll go back to redownload your save and auto-update when in standby (if you use instant on).

EvB

Is there a way to move pins to the top? I was going to buy the Xbox One Media Remote, but there doesn't appear to be a way to jump to pins. I know it's the right trigger on the controller.

The media remote is a bit pointless when various apps use controllers buttons such as Y to access important functions.
Huge oversight

Just bought one of these last week and I do like it as a machine, I can't seem to find a suspend/rest mode just full shut down, does it have one?

EvB

Just bought one of these last week and I do like it as a machine, I can't seem to find a suspend/rest mode just full shut down, does it have one?

When you first set it up you had the option for instant-on or energy saving mode.

If you chose instant on then it will always suspend/resume when you turn it off.

(Unless you go to th power settings and choose full shuttdown)

My white Xbox One S with Battlefield 1 was just delivered. My old Xbone's optical drive has been really flaky for awhile (sometimes it won't read any disc) so I bought the S via MS's Black Friday Sale. All of my games are installed on my external drive so I assume that all I have to do is set up my new console and then "format/factory reset" the old one afterwards to get rid of my info on it. Is that all?

Also, I picked Far Cry Primal as my free game from the MS Store (choices were slim as heck) but I never got my FC Primal code. I guess I'll wait a day or two then contact MS about the game.

muzzymate

My white Xbox One S with Battlefield 1 was just delivered. My old Xbone's optical drive has been really flaky for awhile (sometimes it won't read any disc) so I bought the S via MS's Black Friday Sale. All of my games are installed on my external drive so I assume that all I have to do is set up my new console and then "format/factory reset" the old one afterwards to get rid of my info on it. Is that all?

Also, I picked Far Cry Primal as my free game from the MS Store (choices were slim as heck) but I never got my FC Primal code. I guess I'll wait a day or two then contact MS about the game.

I did the same thing from the Microsoft Store. My Far Cry Primal is physical and was shipped separately. One will arrive tonight, the other tomorrow.

I haven't gotten the $25 gift code though.

SOLDIER

Set up the Xbox One S today, and when I try to set the display to 4K UHD, it gives me an error message ("That didn't work")

Under 4K details, everything is checked. Under Advanced Video Settings, "Allow 4K" is also checked.

It's just that under TV resolution it says 1080p. Is this how it should be when on the main hub screen?

Looks like I got a bad Xbox One S. :( It restarts itself every minute or so whether its the green "XBox One" screen or if I manage to get into the setup menu. <sigh> Hopefully the MS Store returns are easy to deal with. Guess I'll call in the morning.

Oh well, that's fine. Is the S any quicker than the original as far as download/install speeds?
It might be worth investing in a portable HDD. You can play games from it so it makes going from one X1 to another as simple as plug and play. It's nice for when you own more than one X1.

SOLDIER

So it seems I can't use the Amazon certified HDMI cable on the Xbox One S for 4K display, and have to instead use the official HDMI cable included with the console.

That's pretty disappointing: I wanted to use the 15 foot cable so that it would loop nicely around my TV shelf. If I have to use the official, shorter cable, then I'll have to have an ugly loop around the front of my shelf.

JeffG

So it seems I can't use the Amazon certified HDMI cable on the Xbox One S for 4K display, and have to instead use the official HDMI cable included with the console.

That's pretty disappointing: I wanted to use the 15 foot cable so that it would loop nicely around my TV shelf. If I have to use the official, shorter cable, then I'll have to have an ugly loop around the front of my shelf.

sounds like an issue with your 15ft cable. I got a standard 4k 12 ft cable for mine. Worked like a charm

SOLDIER

sounds like an issue with your 15ft cable. I got a standard 4k 12 ft cable for mine. Worked like a charm

Is it this same brand?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8T0YQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I could request an exchange if it should be working. It's not the end of the world if I have to use the default XB1 cable, but I did get the 15 foot one for this express purpose.

Edit: Requested a replacement. Amazon's not even requesting the original cable, so good on them.

shmoglish

Does the Xbox one S Gears of War 4 bundle suppose to come with a code for the Gears of war collection Gears 1,2,3 and Judgement?

I dont see a code in my box, only code for Gears 4 and Xbox live trial
Got the codes two weeks after I activated the Gears4 code (via xbl message). So you may have to wait. I also bought the gearsbundle.

When you first set it up you had the option for instant-on or energy saving mode.

If you chose instant on then it will always suspend/resume when you turn it off.

(Unless you go to th power settings and choose full shuttdown)

Thanks, I'll have a look at that setting.

MoodyFog

My two-month old Xbox one S is making a loud noise when a disc is inserted..

Am I right to assume it's a faulty drive and I'll have to get it repaired :/?

Edit: apparentl false alarm, it only did that when installing battlefield 1 but not other games

muzzymate

Just unpacked and in the midst of setting up my new Xbox One S. Man, I can not stand the bumpers and triggers on the S controller. Will probably stick with my Day One controller. (I know I'm in the minority here, but ewww!)

Just unpacked and in the midst of setting up my new Xbox One S. Man, I can not stand the bumpers and triggers on the S controller. Will probably stick with my Day One controller. (I know I'm in the minority here, but ewww!)

Why what's the difference, the S is my first One?

Dave_6

Got mine (1TB) last night. Left it running for ~8 hours so it could re-download FH1 and 3 along with Gears 4. I never put a disc in but mine is really quiet so far so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Looks even better in person and it's smaller than I was expecting it to be.

The S controller is actually very good and the bumpers and triggers are amazing, they feel so satisfying to use, especially in shooters. The textured grip also is a very nice touch. I love the Xbox One controller, it's almost perfection in terms of grip and overall feel when playing.

The only difference is that the first Xbox One controllers have the tip of the bumpers only working and the bumpers are more clicky, which is a negative if you ask.

I like the improvement that Microsoft have made to the S controller.

Chorazin

The S controller is actually very good and the bumpers and triggers are amazing, they feel so satisfying to use, especially in shooters. The textured grip also is a very nice touch. I love the Xbox One controller, it's almost perfection in terms of grip and overall feel when playing.

The only difference is that the first Xbox One controllers have the tip of the bumpers only working and the bumpers are more clicky, which is a negative if you ask.

I agree, I was actually a little sad to hand the new one over to the GF as "her" controller since I have the Elite as mine.

The fan is suprisingly noisy even when idling, its more of a rapid ticking sound however, I think it's defective.

A lot of the S fans are noisy like this. It's a valid reason to exchange if it bothers you but I don't think it will actually hurt anything. You're just as likely to get another ticking fan if you exchange, though. It's a crapshoot.

Wiped89

My Xbox One has a bit of fuzziness on the picture when playing videos, especially Netflix but sometimes Bluray too.

It also sometimes says 'no disc inserted' on Blurays and needs 2-3 attempts to play.

It's fine with games.

Is it faulty? Or is it a picture setting or app problem?

I feel like I shouldn't exchange it unless absolutely necessary since I got such a great deal on it with Amazon.

Wiped89

I'm pretty sure it upscales everything. The TV never reports anything but 4K UHD input while I'm using the 1s for movies or games.

Not true. It plays blurays at native resolution. So blurays are played at 1080p unless they're 4k, then it's 2160p.

My TV reports 1080p output and then I can see the Xbox switch to 2160p when I go back to the home menus.

All games output at 2160p and are upscaled

Not true. It plays blurays at native resolution. So blurays are played at 1080p unless they're 4k, then it's 2160p.

My TV reports 1080p output and then I can see the Xbox switch to 2160p when I go back to the home menus.

All games output at 2160p and are upscaled

Thank you for the clarification.

My A button on my S controller has started to stick really bad.

Yeah, I had this problem with a couple of controllers which came with my S consoles. This was after like 5 days max and the issue noticeably worsened. Shoddy to say the least.

The fan is suprisingly noisy even when idling, its more of a rapid ticking sound however, I think it's defective.

Had this with 3 XB1 S consoles and returned them all as this noise becomes grating very quickly. Especially as it's likely to get worse with time rather than better.

I returned all 3 machines and ended up with an OG elite 1tb sshd console. The package is top draw, wonderful quality. The machine itself is so quiet, I love it. My external USB 3 Hdd is louder than the console. Hell, the powerbrick is louder than the console.

Plus, the elite controller certainly doesn't have sticky button issues, so double win.

I couldn't find anywhere this question has been asked, but I have seen a few digital foundry videos showing the occasional improved framerates on Xbox one games played on the One S. Has it improved the framerate on any of the BC 360 games as well, or XB1 games only? Just curious..

EmiPrime

I couldn't find anywhere this question has been asked, but I have seen a few digital foundry videos showing the occasional improved framerates on Xbox one games played on the One S. Has it improved the framerate on any of the BC 360 games as well, or XB1 games only? Just curious..

There are some minor BC improvements.

And finally, we did a little testing on Xbox One backward compatibility. Again, you're far more likely to see the improvement here on 60fps titles that can't quite hit the performance target consistently, but it is there - sub-30fps dips in our Alan Wake's American Nightmare testing are much reduced on the Xbox One S. GPU power isn't really the issue with Xbox One back-compat, it's more the virtualisation of Xbox 360's CPU cores, so we suspect that boosts to games with real performance issues (Mass Effect, Halo Reach etc) are unlikely, but it's good to know that the graphics clock boost does indeed apply to all areas of the system.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...as-a-gpu-overclock-and-we-have-benchmarked-it

EmiPrime

Can I ask what is the 4K Bluray playback like on the Xbox One S?

I am not the best person to comment as I don't buy Blurays very often (I own 6) but I thought Star Trek and Mad Max looked great. Atmos support is coming soon if you have that as well as upscaling of 1080p Blurays.

Can I ask what is the 4K Bluray playback like on the Xbox One S?

Very good, watched Mad Max the other night and it looked great.

Only thing I could hold against it is the fact it's probably slightly louder (fan and disc drive) than a standalone player, I noticed the noise occasionally during quiet scenes.

Tenshin

cant redeem my gears of war codes that microsoft send me... keep saying no valid in my region... when i input it on their website always something went wrong phrase.. wtf.. and when i try to purchase a 360 game keeps redirecting me on spanish menu.. frustrating...

muzzymate

So far liking my new S. Still wish it was black to better blend in with my other entertainment center gear. The smaller size is incredibly noticeable though. My Kinect adapter was shipped within 24 hours and should arrive next week (because I can't have an Xbox experience without a power brick). Much quicker than it sounded like was happening recently. Now off to sell my original Xbox One. Still wish they would have kept the Kinect port on the back.

How long should it take for Microsoft to send the $25 gift card from the Black Friday day sale? I also keep looking at my Xbox Rewards account for the 50,000 credits but I don't expect that for another two weeks.

Oh yes, believe me I understand I'm in the extreme minority here preferring the original mode's bumpers over the S' version. I'm happy for others that view it as an improvement.

Top Bottom