• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Opinion Rumor Platform Xbox is still planning to drop Live Gold, it’s claimed

Captain Toad

I advertise for PlayStation. For free.
Dec 1, 2020
i was with you until this part, what an absolutely absurd take. ps+ in the ps3 / vita era was good. then as soon as it became attached to online play the quality of the games nosedived.
Go look at the last 5 months or so of PS+ games.

Then look at the 20 PS+ Collection games they added right before that.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Jan 28, 2012
The real reason "paying for multiplayer" could go away is the prevalence of separate F2P mods.

There’s no other reason at this point, IMO.
Ordinarily, I’d just toss up my hands and say that XBOX online gaming isn’t going to be free regardless of whether that’s Gold and/or Gamepass and that’s the end of it… but… then I pause when I realize MS is making Halo Infinite MP accessible online to everyone regardless of whether they have don’t pay for any of their online subs.

That makes me stop and wonder.

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
If online goes free on Xbox, barrier of getting it as a second system would be reduced significantly for me. But having it sitting there sucking up a sub just ain’t happening.

Last edited:

bender

Bending Rodríguez (22, 1,729)
Apr 12, 2010
imo microsoft should make one sub that ties in all their services. basically, gamepass ultimate should be the only subscription.

sony should do the same. playstation plus should include online gaming, the instant collection as well as ps now. put it all under the banner of plus.

If I had to guess, that is Microsoft's long term goal. Maybe the would-be price-hike for XBL at the beginning of the year was to test the water for people's acceptance of ten bucks a month.

And maybe Jeff Grub hears that Gold is going away and assumes that mean "free" when in actually it means it is getting transformed into Gamepass.

Mar 7, 2017
Jeff Grub: "Good guy Xbox is going to make XBL free for us all!!!!!"

MS: *doubles price of XBL*

Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

Jeff Grub is the new Michael Pachter...

Reactions: dotnotbot

Thirty7ven

Sony make cringe trainers.
Apr 13, 2020
If online goes free on Xbox, barrier of getting it as a second system would be reduced significantly for me. But having it sitting there sucking up a sub just ain’t happening.

The play is to wait until end of 23’ at the earliest isn’t it? End of 24’ would be optimal. In 6 months you will be able to play every single Xbox exclusive for the price of one game. Then I’m either compelled to keep paying for the game coming in the 7th month or I’m not. Sure as hell won’t be financing the future of the service right now, that’s for sure, it has been 9 months and not a single next gen game on the service that would’ve made it worth it for me and I’m not in the business of funding trillion dollar company ventures.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shmunter

SSfox

Lies about why mods reply ban and warn me.
Jan 7, 2018
Oops wrong thread

Last edited: