• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass subscriptions miss Microsoft’s target

AlexxKidd

Strauss said "30 million" and Phil stayed mum. Now we see why. They know it's better to not report the numbers when they're not up to expectations (as they stopped doing for hardware sales years ago), than to put a less than desirable number out there.

I wonder if the "Game Pass has reached XXX subscribers" press releases will meet the same fate as the "Xbox sells XXX units" ones did.

Last edited:
So maybe not 30 million but...

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Elios83

And here's why they stopped releasing numbers...typical Microsoft, if there's not a good story to tell just hide everything.
It will be interesting to see what happens when they release bigger titles like Halo Infinite on it.
It's not like they can act on price as a lever since they have already made tons of deals to push it almost for free.

Last edited:

Exanthus

Banned
And here's why they stopped releasing numbers...typical Microsoft, if there's not a good story to tell just hide everything.
It will be interesting to see what happens when they release bigger titles like Halo 5 on it.
It's not like they act on price as a lever since they have already made tons of deals to push it almost for free.
Halo 5...? What?

cormack12

Gold Member
Probably best to add the context to the OP:

By the numbers: For the 12 months that ended on June 30, Xbox Game Pass subscriber growth was up 37%, but the company had set a 48% growth goal.

Underperforming by 11% I guess. I still wish we had the numbers though just for my own curiosity really.

I always wonder what it looks month to month as well. Like do people unsub and resub or have lots done conversions of gold etc.

It's also June so that would mean the last official numbers of 18 million in Jan would fall into underperforming. And the delta of Jan-June needs adding. Percentages are so shit :(

Last edited:

Kacho

As someone who is heavily invested in the Xbox ecosystem I still don’t get the appeal of the service. What games have dropped that make me want to sub or lead to significant growth?

Marvel’s Avengers? Nah
Ascent? Nope
The Medium? Hell no
Baldur’s Gate? Lol

Even with Halo and FH5 on horizon it’s like who cares? Just buy the one or two games that interest you and play them. I’m not subbing to Game Pass to play Starfield for example. I’ll just buy it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm sure MS and gamers are shaking.

GP subs last year overachieved by 15% (86% vs 71%), MS stock is at $308 which at record highs, with a market cap of about $2.3 trillion, just below Apple at $2.4.

And Xbox gamers are getting endless GP games at dirt cheap GPU promo prices. Thanks MS for subsidizing gaming instead of charging $70 US per game ($90 cdn!).

By the numbers: For the 12 months that ended on June 30, Xbox Game Pass subscriber growth was up 37%, but the company had set a 48% growth goal.

Underperforming by 11% I guess. I still wish we had the numbers though just for my own curiosity really.

I always wonder what it looks month to month as well. Like do people unsub and resub or have lots done conversions of gold etc.

It's also June so that would mean the last official numbers of 18 million in Jan would fall into underperforming. And the delta of Jan-June needs adding. Percentages are so shit :(
The service grew well but not as well as MS had hoped.

tOtAl FaIlUrE

TheBomb

The service grew well but not as well as MS had hoped.

tOtAl FaIlUrE

GP subs last year overachieved by 15% (86% vs 71%), MS stock is at $308 which at record highs, with a market cap of about $2.3 trillion, just below Apple at $2.4.

And Xbox gamers are getting endless GP games at dirt cheap GPU promo prices. Thanks MS for subsidizing gaming instead of charging $70 US per game ($90 cdn!).
They still need to make the green.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
As someone who is heavily invested in the Xbox ecosystem I still don’t get the appeal of the service. What games have dropped that make me want to sub or lead to significant growth?

Marvel’s Avengers? Nah
Ascent? Nope
The Medium? Hell no
Baldur’s Gate? Lol

Even with Halo and FH5 on horizon it’s like who cares? Just buy the one or two games that interest you and play them. I’m not subbing to Game Pass to play Starfield for example. I’ll just buy it.
You mean that you can get ultimate for the price of this two games? I mean the appeal is there, because you try far more games than you normally would. I mean you do you obviously.

Kacho

You mean that you can get ultimate for the price of this two games? I mean the appeal is there, because you try far more games than you normally would. I mean you do you obviously.
What good does that do most players who play maybe one or two games exclusively every few months that aren’t on the service? I know there’s an audience there, I just don’t think it’s a fairly big one.

Last edited:

That's underperformance by 23%. If your target is 48% growth and you only had 37% growth, you missed your target by (48-37)/48 * 100 = ~23%.

Marvel’s Avengers? Nah
Ascent? Nope
The Medium? Hell no
Baldur’s Gate? Lol

pulp fiction check out the big brain on brett GIF

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What good does that do most players who play maybe one or two games exclusively every few months that aren’t on the service? I know there’s an audience there, I just don’t think it’s a fairly big one.
Fair enough and I don't think you are right, but that's ok.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They still need to make the green.
Not really.

Where does it say in the financials Game Pass is losing money?

Even if it does, every company has some losing money products, countered with big winners. LinkedIn cost MS $25 billion and has barely made any money. Sony kept it's TV division the whole time even during that stretch years back they were losing billions per year. And that was even when the company's financials werent in great shape. And they still kept it. It must had lost $10 billion over the years. Still around.

TheBomb

Not really.

Where does it say in the financials Game Pass is losing money?

Even if it does, every company has some losing money products, countered with big winners. LinkedIn cost MS $25 billion and has barely made any money. Sony kept it's TV division the whole time even during that stretch years back they were losing billions per year. And that was even when the company's financials werent in great shape. And they still kept it. It must had lost $10 billion over the years. Still around.
Yeah, but doesn't mean it's good for Microsoft.

I also love gamepass and agree just wait until Halo and FH5 hits

boom smile GIF
Yeah Halo's going to be crazy day one.

Have fond memories of Halo 3 launch on 360. Multiplayer was absolutely packed with damn near every single one on my friends list playing the game. I really hope this Halo launch is like that. Xbox needs a big hit. I mean fuck this gen needs a bit hit. It's been a bit of a bore since the start.

Dr Bass

The MS Stock and market cap are a result of their other offerings, not their gaming division.

Lower than expected subscriber counts and buying up a crapload of expensive studios don't really go hand in hand, and that's one of the things I've been saying for awhile. It's not going to be good for gamers in the long term, though as you put it you are getting "endless" GP games at "dirt cheap" prices. I'm not sure where the disconnect is in seeing that that is not a good thing.

I just don't think there is is this treasure trove of undiscovered gamers out there that want an Xbox gaming subscription that hasn't already bought into the Xbox ecosystem. iOS and Android users aren't going to sign up to GP so they can play Starfield on their phones. It's just not going to be a thing. So if growth is already slowing a higher degree than expected, that doesn't seem great. Probably not going anywhere for awhile, but I personally think this direction was entirely expected to anyone who tried to think this through.

kyoji

Im not sure why people thought the “30” million number was legit, I always took it as the take two ceo taking a light hearted jab at phil, considering the whole context of the conversation and how he brought it up. But i read into that conversation differently than most, body language etc 🤷.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The MS Stock and market cap are a result of their other offerings, not their gaming division.

Lower than expected subscriber counts and buying up a crapload of expensive studios don't really go hand in hand, and that's one of the things I've been saying for awhile. It's not going to be good for gamers in the long term, though as you put it you are getting "endless" GP games at "dirt cheap" prices. I'm not sure where the disconnect is in seeing that that is not a good thing.

I just don't think there is is this treasure trove of undiscovered gamers out there that want an Xbox gaming subscription that hasn't already bought into the Xbox ecosystem. iOS and Android users aren't going to sign up to GP so they can play Starfield on their phones. It's just not going to be a thing. So if growth is already slowing a higher degree than expected, that doesn't seem great. Probably not going anywhere for awhile, but I personally think this direction was entirely expected to anyone who tried to think this through.
MS's giant coffers is why Xbox is still here with Series S, X, Gamepass and tons of studios (and still buying).

If MS was a broke tech company, they would had stopped after Xbox OG 15-20 years ago.

Corporate coffers go a long way.

My company has sold dead weight products for over 10 years that lose money half the time. And some years we squeak out a killer 5% margin. But you sacrifice that in order to get the sales and profits from other parts of the business which can be anywhere from 30-70%.

I hope you guys all know all the cheap milk and cheese you buy at stores nobody makes money on. But they all sell it for cheap to get you in so you can buy all the other stuff. The money is made on higher priced products in the category.

octiny

Banned
Top Bottom