• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass added nearly $9000 worth of games in 2023

gokurho

Xbox Game Pass continues to be a fantastic deal for Xbox users. We checked out how much every game added to the service in 2023 would have cost us to buy, and it's a lot more than we paid.
2023 has been a hell of a year for Xbox, as the company has finally started to see the fruits of all those studio acquisitions over the past few years. And nowhere has that been more obvious than in Xbox Game Pass, the gaming subscription service and crown jewel in Microsoft’s gaming portfolio.
But just how much value are you getting for your money with the service? After all, prices went up in August, and Phil Spencer has warned that future price increases are “inevitable”. Well we did the maths, and the value proposition is still looking pretty rosy as we move into 2024.
According to our data, the total value of all the games that were added to Game Pass (at their full price) in 2023 stands at:
  • $8763 in the US
  • £7695 in the UK
  • CA$11425 in Canada
  • A$13392 in Australia
  • €8879 in Europe
  • R$36898 in Brazil
Episode 12 Abc GIF by The Bachelorette

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think that's awesome. But I also think people are sleeping on the other services like PlayStation. Plus. I was absolutely shocked at how the selection was. I don't track everything but for my taste. I like both but for the legacy stuff there is so much on PlayStation that I guess if you follow the perception of the internet, I thought it was severely worse. But other than the missing day one releases, the stuff on plus is absolutely stellar. And gay pass is good for the day. One stuff too, but it just reminds me since I see these threads about Game pass and stuff like that has a bit night and day ahead of the competition when I don't think it is. And this is coming from somebody that invests more in Microsoft games than Sony these days.

midnightAI

Why do they work things out like this, it's a completely useless stat, unless you do actually play every game

I remember many years ago buying a compilation 'tape' of 100 games for the zx spectrum, it cost about £10 back then, and out of that 100 games, exactly 0 was worth playing more than once. Now I'm not saying games on gamepass are like that, but saying look, we added $9000 with of games last year, is useless if you only played 3 or 4 games.

NickFire

Why do they work things out like this, it's a completely useless stat, unless you do actually play every game
Look at name of site. Then read first sentence of the advertisement.

“2023 has been a hell of a year for Xbox, as the company has finally started to see the fruits of all those studio acquisitions over the past few years.”

Better question is why ads get promoted like news. Cause this ain’t news. This is silly marketing. But claiming they had a hell of a year was right. Just not for the reason listed.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
As long as I keep getting the friends and family 50% off discount from my buddy, I’ll keep paying for Game Pass and playing 1-3 games a year. That’s worth it to me.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Look at name of site. Then read first sentence of the advertisement.

“2023 has been a hell of a year for Xbox, as the company has finally started to see the fruits of all those studio acquisitions over the past few years.”

Better question is why ads get promoted like news. Cause this ain’t news. This is silly marketing. But claiming they had a hell of a year was right. Just not for the reason listed.

Jeez, why so angry? Website that tracks achievements and publishes articles that might be interesting to Xbox players does some simple maths and writes an article.

No need to get bent out of shape about it.

Neogaf's console wars are ridiculous now and they've been crazy for a while.

Last edited:

NickFire

Jeez, why so angry? Website that tracks achievements and publishes articles that might be interesting to Xbox players does some simple maths and writes an article.

No need to get bent out of shape about it.

Neogaf's console wars are ridiculous now and they've been crazy for a while.
Not angry. Just tired of endless cycle of marketing. Maybe If we stopped debating the marketing and made them get attention via games they wouldn’t be losing market share so badly.

Last edited:

simpatico

As someone who had a brick and mortar video game pass at Blockbuster, and then a Gamefly subscription, GamePass truly is the best video game rental service. I'm not currently subbed, as I make it a point to sub a month at a time and immediately turn off recurring billing, but I'll be back when they have more games I want. It turned me on to Yakuza and Vampire Survivors which are 2 of my all time franchises now. It also saved me $60 on Lies of P, Dead Space Remake and Remnant 2 (appreciated). I hope they get Lords of the Fallen soon!

reinking

Gold Member
This is one of those stats that sound good but is a bit misleading. Using retail pricing assumes everyone that purchased games would do so at full price. It is not just Xbox that does this, PS Plus does it too. What I do laugh about from Xbox fans is they will use full retail price when talking about "savings" by using Game Pass but not dare use full retail price when talking about the cost to subscribe to Game Pass.

BigLee74

Cool stuff. I certainly got my money’s worth (where money = 10 minutes of my time every day collecting some reward points).

Starfield
HiFi rush
Forza
Dead Space remake
Quake 2
Skyrim
Vampire Surviviors
A short hike
Ass Creed Origins
Slayers X
Atomic Heart
Contrast
Powerwash Simulator
High on Life

All played to completion this year.

Many others tried and dropped, no ill feelings.

2023 GP, you’ve been great.

Chastten

Banned
So, what you're saying is, 'its under 9000!'

Cool, but the only value that counts are games I would've been buying regardless. And as long as there are very few Japanese games on there, the value I would've gotten out of it, is far, far lower than €9000.

xrnzaaas

Absolutely worhtless statistic. Even less than when MS was boasting about the value of monthly Gold games, because you actually knew they wouldn't be removed from your library for the duration of the sub.

damidu

lol i guess thanks for asking me to fork over $250 a year, to save a$9000 i was never going to spend in first place
and course, gamess summed up at their full price for the full shill effect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom