• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Could Become Less Relevant If It Doesn't Thrive In Mobile, Phil Spencer Says

DryvBy

Source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/x...ive-in-mobile-phil-spencer-says/1100-6518473/

"I am really looking forward to learning on mobile. The truth of the matter is, if you're going to continue to be relevant in gaming at a global scale, you're going to have to find a way to be relevant on the largest platform, which is mobile," Spencer said.

"It's critical for us to deliver on the full promise of over 3 billion people playing video games; the opportunity to reach more and more people. People who only play on their phone, find Xbox to be something that's interesting for them," Spencer said.

"It doesn't mean I want to turn all of our franchises into mobile franchises; it doesn't mean everything is going to go free-to-play. I think the distribution and business model diversity that we have is a strength of the platform," he said.

Microsoft sells games outright; it also has the popular subscription program Game Pass; and it operates free-to-play games. With the acquisition of ABK, Microsoft also pushes further into the mobile game space and the potential riches there.

"We've got to be relevant on mobile. There is no way to plot the future without being on the platform that most of the planet plays on," he said.

Killer8

"I am really looking forward to learning on mobile. The truth of the matter is, if you're going to continue to be relevant in gaming at a global scale, you're going to have to find a way to be relevant on the largest platform, which is mobile," Spencer said.

He's only just learning about what he then calls the biggest platform now?

Obi Wan GIF by Star Wars

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The truth of the matter is, if you're going to continue to be relevant in gaming at a global scale, you're going to have to find a way to be relevant on the largest platform, which is mobile

I don't see the two most "relevant" competitors (Sony, Nintendo) worrying much about that 🤔

DryvBy

While this is true, both Nintendo and Sony had a bigger presence in mobile than MS before acquiring ABK.

MS has probably leap frogged both now with King and CoD Mobile.

Microsoft has tried their hand in that pot for a bit too, but they just suck at it.

Honestly I'm shocked how Candy Crush is even a thing that makes money. What are people paying for?

CeeJay

Phil has raised the stakes and sold Satya a promise. Now the time is on the clock for him to deliver!

It's interesting how unless you knew, you would never associate King with Activision with Blizzard, they all have a distinct identity and aesthetic and you don't see them crossing over with each other. Xbox always seems to be keen to do the opposite, cross promotional stuff using their IP with other games they own and also with other companies such as fast food, clothing, accessories, TV, Sports etc. In a way, King does well in the mobile space because it's not associated with its sister companies. You just know that MS are going to be shouting it from the rooftops that they own these entities and you can bet that Steve and Master Chief are going to be making guest appearances in the mobile games and we are going to see mobile game perks appearing in Xbox whilst they try to increase engagement and monetisation across the board.

jayj

Banned
Well honestly you could apply this towards console gaming in general, which is why everyone is trying so hard to have live service games right now, it's basically Sony and Microsoft chasing after the mobile gaming model.

GHG

Well honestly you could apply this towards console gaming in general, which is why everyone is trying so hard to have live service games right now, it's basically Sony and Microsoft chasing after the mobile gaming model.

Which is something everyone who games on these platforms should outright reject.

Taur007

Microsoft has tried their hand in that pot for a bit too, but they just suck at it.

Honestly I'm shocked how Candy Crush is even a thing that makes money. What are people paying for?
You'd be surprised how many people/kids cluelessly purchase these "point packs" and such

Duchess

Microsoft are really sending out the signals that they are close to ending Xbox as a hardware platform, eh?

They should just go 3rd party (and not corral people into using Game Pass).

Gold Member
Is it possible to become less relevant than they already are? Their decline has been pretty dramatic thus far!

Helmed by the one and only true saviour of gaming…Mr Phillip Spencer**

What a guy!

**Coming to a mobile device of your choosing soon.

😂😂😂

Duchess

A number of years back, people were asking online if paying for more lives in Candy Crush was considered cheating.

No, it's not cheating, it's outright stupidity.

As far as I'm aware, the game artificially hikes the difficulty as you play, until levels are near-impossible to finish, due to the time limit. The difficulty will creep back down over the days that follow. Or if you buy more lives.

bitbydeath

OP the title is not what he said, don't make stuff up.
That’s the article title, the OP didn’t make it up. The title looks to be based off the below quote.

"We've got to be relevant on mobile. There is no way to plot the future without being on the platform that most of the planet plays on," he said.

Unable to plot the future of Xbox without mobile. If anything that title appears to be a bit lenient.

DryvBy

A number of years back, people were asking online if paying for more lives in Candy Crush was considered cheating.

No, it's not cheating, it's outright stupidity.

As far as I'm aware, the game artificially hikes the difficulty as you play, until levels are near-impossible to finish, due to the time limit. The difficulty will creep back down over the days that follow. Or if you buy more lives.

That's really dumb. I'd just play Tetris.

Mobile is a much bigger market so any gaming platform should be looking at it.

There could become a time when phones are powerful enough to where any extra power from a dedicated console is less compelling and they will use their phones on a big screen or just game exclusively on a phone or similar.

The quote is directly from the website too.

Edit: Not sure what you’re referring to with the acquisition thread, are you OK?

Reach out if you want to chat/blow off steam, always here for my fellow gaffers.
There is literally no quote which says "Xbox could become less relevant if it doesn't thrive in mobile" It's just not there 😆

This is the quote "if you're going to continue to be relevant in gaming at a global scale, you're going to have to find a way to be relevant on the largest platform, which is mobile," This is literally a sweeping statement about gaming in general, no mention of Xbox which is separate to that. I was referring to you being wrong with everything you said there and again here.

I'm alright thanks buddy 🤣 Talk about having a high opinion of yourself 😄

Top Bottom