• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOHICA: Don Mattrick Defends Xbox One's Online Requirements

More inside the article.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/27/43...none-the-risks-of-an-internet-required-gaming

Don Mattrick, president of Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft, told me that the decision to require internet for the Xbox One was driven by a desire to create a console unleashed from the technical limitations of today's not-entirely-connected society. Microsoft had a decision to make, he said; either create a console planted in the present or look to the future and create a device built on the concept that one day the internet will be as available as electricity or telephone service.

"Gamers want the best experiences possible — and they want a future-proof system," he told Polygon.

"Now, with Xbox One, we're stretching the canvas again so creators can design for the cloud with every game they make," he said. "In the next decade, every great game will tap the power of the cloud to deliver richer, more immersive worlds. We have a great offline game system in Xbox 360 that gets better when it's connected. We could have made another offline console, but then offline would have been the lowest common denominator design point for developers. We chose to take the progressive path."

can we just ban polygon from this site?

edit for clarification: polygon is just a PR piece for microsoft most of the time. I admit that i didn't read the full article but only because I didn't want to give that site any clicks.

MormaPope

Banned
We have a great offline game system in Xbox 360 that gets better when it's connected.

How? The ability to party chat and stream music from my computer makes offline/single player experiences better?

Noi

"and they want a future-proof system"

Sorry Mattrick, having a system that revolves around activating games online before they work is the complete opposite of future-proof.

quest

Not Banned from OT
yeah because they won't turn off the cloud assist on older games lol. Just like EA would never turn off servers of older games lol. Nice try MS try again.

"Its always Online"

"Its not always Online."

"Its always Online"

"Its not always Online."

"Its always Online"

"Its not always Online."

Etc.

Make up your fucking mind MS. At least be honest that this console is an anti-consumer joke of a system, with paper thin justifications.

MoogPaul

It's funny how he specifically says "future-proof" and yet with the xbox one needing to check once a day, if the servers go down so does the console.
It is the least future proof console to date.

can we just ban polygon from this site?

Did you actually read the entire article within that 1 minute after OP posted?

I've not finished yet, but so far I'm reading a fairy balanced article, with the first couple of paragraphs highlighting the negative points of Xbox One.

DrLazy

How would a developer make use of the cloud? Would they send a function call to the "cloud" where its computed and then sent back? How would that be faster than just locally?

I understand how the could will help demos / streaming /saves / storage / etc. I don't yet understand on a practical level how "the cloud" is going to help games.

If only the games were future-proof. They'll be unplayable when the servers get taken down at the end of the generation.

It must be the future!

Nokterian

22548-Joker-And-Here-We-Go-gif-Io6p.gif

Woffls

Don Mattrick said:
We could have made another offline console, but then offline would have been the lowest common denominator design point for developers. We chose to take the progressive path.
Well I'm out.

Microsoft, I will buy your console when internet is really good in like half a decade.

Branduil

"and they want a future-proof system"

Sorry Mattrick, having a system that revolves around activating games online before they work is the complete opposite of future-proof.

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Mrbob

"Now, with Xbox One, we're stretching the canvas again so creators can design for the cloud with every game they make," he said. "In the next decade, every great game will tap the power of the cloud to deliver richer, more immersive worlds. We have a great offline game system in Xbox 360 that gets better when it's connected. We could have made another offline console, but then offline would have been the lowest common denominator design point for developers. We chose to take the progressive path."

donmattrick.gif

Don Mattrick, president of Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft, told me that the decision to require internet for the Xbox One was driven by a desire to create a console unleashed from the technical limitations of today's not-entirely-connected society.

Wow, that is some obvious newspeak right there. They need to require a technical infrastructure (internet connection) in order to unleash it from technical limitations (like, you know, maybe something like the technical infrastructure?).

Color me as interested. I don't think they'd set this online only infrastructure up only as a means to negate used games sales. Its just too high of a risk for them vs the tried and true offline/no drm console success they had with the 360.

I'm very excited to see what they have at E3. And if this thing doesn't pan out then who gives a shit, Ps4/PC.

Top Bottom