• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xanadu Next |OT| Take up your sword and seek the Dragon Slayer!

bede-x

Have you tried using RTSS or something to cap the frame rate at 60fps? That always seems to be the silver bullet for these sorts of issues.

I haven't and that's mostly because I'm a comfy couch gamer. If an operation can't be done with the controller, I rarely do it. In this case there's a few moments of stutter roughly every ten seconds. Annoying to be sure, but I'll live with it. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Aside from a few technical hiccups this feels great.

I am getting frame stuttering with my config, and I have everything set to max. Tried to play it with a PS4 pad but it doesn't work that well, so I switched to my mouse.

Sara

So, a few things, here...

I'm actively working on achievement bugs. I won't be undoing the achievements that have already been obtained by accident for technical reasons, but I hope to fix them as soon as I can and they are certainly a known issue.

If you're getting stutter, please reduce the Frame Buffer size.

I'm not too sure what's going on with Thrust, as that particular issue didn't happen during initial testing, but I'm going to be looking into that closer soon.

Noticed a few translation issues so far, with the intro and a few of the lines Char says at the beginning in the inn. Also having issues working the inventory screen with mouse controls, won't let me select tabs other than inventory, and instead keeps moving my character around. Otherwise the game is fun so far.

So, a few things, here...

I'm actively working on achievement bugs. I won't be undoing the achievements that have already been obtained by accident for technical reasons, but I hope to fix them as soon as I can and they are certainly a known issue.

If you're getting stutter, please reduce the Frame Buffer size.

I'm not too sure what's going on with Thrust, as that particular issue didn't happen during initial testing, but I'm going to be looking into that closer soon.

Thank you so much for all of your hard work and for bringing Xanadu Next to the US!

Ascheroth

Same thing just happened to me and I can't even do regular attacks, so unless I can figure out how to re-equip that skill, I'm currently helpless!

Seems that confirm and attack share a button (defaults to X on my gamepad) but it only works for confirming in my case, my guy isn't attacking when I press it.

That button is only for the special attack. The normal attacks still work. You have to click inside the circle around the enemy when you're in range.
But yeah, my Thrust suddenly dissappeared as well : D
Still, loving the game so far.

Ok, I've noticed a lot more missing text. Usually occurs in the narration scenes from Char's memoir where the background is a static picture of a book.

Syril

Now I've found the Whirlwind and Plunder isn't in my skill list either. At least the spells are working properly.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
How do you equip a skill from a weapon that you haven't mastered yet? I'm assuming that when you have the weapon equipped you're supposed to be able to use it's skill?

EDIT: Appears to be a bug, alright.

koji kabuto

One of the NPCs in the middle of the first town went crazy and start rotating on him self.
No other bugs here but i'm still just 50 min in.

FLD

That button is only for the special attack. The normal attacks still work. You have to click inside the circle around the enemy when you're in range.
But yeah, my Thrust suddenly dissappeared as well : D
Still, loving the game so far.

Yeah, I was being an idiot. I figured out the circle thing shortly after. It's kind of a weird system, I assumed I should be able to swing my sword at empty air lol.

Sinatar

Wow the Goblins in clover ruins are crazy, I can only hit them for 1 damage.

Is this a super grindy game or do I need to buy a new weapon?

Xanadu Next Steam X-Mouse Button Control profile, Logitech M510. The program lags, unfortunately, but this profile's good for switching skills if your mouse has 4 extra buttons or more, and waiting almost a second to change skills won't damage you.

Goblins shouldn't be absorbing that much damage. Always hit them from behind! With just your Dagger they're supposed to go down quick.

Now I've found the Whirlwind and Plunder isn't in my skill list either. At least the spells are working properly.

How do you equip a skill from a weapon that you haven't mastered yet? I'm assuming that when you have the weapon equipped you're supposed to be able to use it's skill?
Okay, THESE worry me a lot. Not being able to equip skills even when you have the other weapons in the slot...that's not supposed to happen. EDIT: Sara just removed the posts related to this glitch in the Steam bug thread. Update!

Eusis

I nearly died to that goblin, but realized I was getting wrecked and fled.

Gotta stop for now, school work to worry about then work, but it's definitely leaving a positive impression, even with some of the current technical jankiness. Seems to be another game that refuses to run on the dedicated GPU much like the Kiseki games, unfortunately, as forcing it does nothing.

Sara

Seems to be another game that refuses to run on the dedicated GPU much like the Kiseki games, unfortunately, as forcing it does nothing.

Sadly not my fault or anything I can do anything about; Nvidia has deprecated all support for DirectX 8 running on dedicated GPUs on Optimus systems for whatever reason at the driver level.

Durante

I love this game so far.

Combat is simple but the positioning, skills and enemy types makes it very engaging. And it feels great (but I expected nothing less from a Falcom game of that era).

I actually enjoy the translation and writing. Dungeons/areas are interesting to explore. Small things like the fact that you are always guaranteed a chest per room and can juggle which enemy you get it from seem like they should have become an influence in the genre.

And to top it off, not only does it have Vancian magic, it has Vancian skills!

Wow the Goblins in clover ruins are crazy, I can only hit them for 1 damage.
I killed those by using the skill which downs them and then comboing them in the back while downed. Also did just 1 damage when attacking them straight. (One level later I was doing 3 damage and it was much easier)

Edit:
Sara, would it be possible to get a way to disable the game's built-in framepacing? It shouldn't be needed if you run it V-synced at 60Hz, and it might fix the intermittent framepacing issues I and seemingly some others are having.

I'm still getting it. I've restarted Steam, restarted my computer, validated the files, and even started a new game to check. EDIT: I've also tried reinstalling the game for good measure.
Yep, I'm still having the issue as well, have restarted steam, etc.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm still getting it. I've restarted Steam, restarted my computer, validated the files, and even started a new game to check. EDIT: I've also tried reinstalling the game for good measure.

If restarting Steam is the remedy, though... what's even the cause of this issue? I have it on GOG, so I'm hoping I'm unaffected.

Sinatar

So I bought a gladius and leveled up the stats needed to equip it and went from doing 1 dmg to goblins to doing 50. Alrighty off to the races.

Kyolux

So torn. I'm trying to finish World of FF and some PS VR games.. but this and Owlboy this week are really trying to get my attention.

Sara

Bugger. The Steam DRM interface was behaving a bit oddly and a lot of my previous updates today hadn't even gone in properly. Fixing that now and new patch will be in just a minute.

yOQZMTh.jpg

I'm getting this error when I load save games. It still loads my save but I'm rather concerned if I get any further and it does tank my saves..

NVM, just got ninja'd by Sara in this thread.

The "Corrupted data" pop-up doesn't seem to have affected my saves folder yet. It's fine to keep cancelling the prompt.

RedSwirl

I have not played a single Nihon Falcom game, but a lot of these look like exactly the kind of dark fantasy JRPG I could get into.

Eusis

Sadly not my fault or anything I can do anything about; Nvidia has deprecated all support for DirectX 8 running on dedicated GPUs on Optimus systems for whatever reason at the driver level.
So THAT'S the cause then. Yeah, that's pretty lame on their part (though it's also kinda nuts that Falcom stuck with DX8 for so long on PC. I guess to be more all inclusive but, the hell?)

Dinjoralo

Uh... my skills are gone. Is anyone else having this problem, with weapon skills just not being there?

On good news, I wasn't expecting combat to have so much impact!

Sara

The "corrupted data" pop-up occurs any time the game's auto save file still exists.
The most common cause of this is exiting the game by force, such as Alt-F4.
The original game didn't account for all of these cases, but I'm going to alter the text to make this much more clear so that there won't be so many questions and reports about it.

FLD

If you can't undo them specifically, would it be possible to add an option to just reset them all?

Dinjoralo

Oh, I just noticed all the posts before me. :/ I'm still waiting on the patch on GOG, but I can tell I'm gonna enjoy this once that's all settled.

Yup, I can't select anything. Like it just goes back to its original spot. When I go to the naming screen, it just hovers on the A and forces the invisible cursor back to A when I try to select anything else.

Man I don't want to have to refund this game.

Durante

I like that for what I'd call the first "boss battle" you can simply run out of the area and come back later. Also, spells seem really powerful -- especially since there is barely any casting delay. All hail Vancian magic!

If you can't undo them specifically, would it be possible to add an option to just reset them all?

Seems like that'd need to be a steam client option.

I'm a little bummed I got the map completion one, but that's all I got. I'll probably just wait until the weekend before really sinking my teeth into this.

Sara

Yup, I can't select anything. Like it just goes back to its original spot. When I go to the naming screen, it just hovers on the A and forces the invisible cursor back to A when I try to select anything else.

Man I don't want to have to refund this game.

The mouse support is sadly kinda ghetto right now, though this may change in the future as I make more improvements over the original game. You need to hold the "Use Mouse" button to control the cursor as if it were a mouse cursor for a couple spots.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Oh, I just noticed all the posts before me. :/ I'm still waiting on the patch on GOG, but I can tell I'm gonna enjoy this once that's all settled.

Yeah, I think I'll hold off on starting until that's settled. Which kinda kills me. Want to play this so badly :(

Top Bottom