• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xanadu Next |OT| Take up your sword and seek the Dragon Slayer!

Seda

Been playing the game the last few days. I got the to final boss but I'm messing around in the bonus dungeon before fighting him.

Xanadu Next kinda gives me the same feel that the PC Ys games do in that it's pretty easy to get comfortable with it - a "pick up and play" game. There's an inventory to manage and Skills, Guardians, Magic take a little getting used to, but all in all I found it quite intuitive.

One game it reminded me a lot of was Vagrant Story. The writing probably isn't as good, but I thought it shared a lot in common, structurally. Xanadu Next features a lot of small, interconnected rooms with light block-type puzzles. As you progress you unlock shortcuts to earlier areas, and there's even reason to backtrack a little bit when you get new items to use on the field. You spend the game exploring the ruins of the island, and you find Tablets and Memoirs which slowly unveil the mysteries of Xanadu and how it relates to the characters/events of the present setting. The game isn't very heavy on story. Most of it is done through Tablets/Memoirs you find. It's not especially intricate, but I still found myself compelled by the unraveling the plot secrets and realizing
who is who
(vague spoiler).

I think the game meets a good balance between simplicity and mechanics. There's enough there to keep things fresh and interesting as you progress but it never becomes overwrought an remains a comfortable play. (The bonus dungeon is proving difficult enough to power through.) Music is lovely. I need more time to gather my full thoughts though.

Oh also, for achievement people: "Lore Lord" (Found and translated all tabulae and memoirs) didn't unlock for me.

Nyoro SF

Well, I'm going to be playing this with a mouse and keyboard. Aidios bless full inventory control with a mouse. Playing Brandish on Vita and trying to sort my inventory made me want to smash a wall with a hammer.

Gu4n

Really looking forward to this. I bought the limited edition last year, but held off since I knew XSEED's version was coming.

I'm still working my way through Cold Steel II and Persona 5, though, so this one will go on top of the backlog.

Ascheroth

Wait, really? HowLongToBeat says it's around 9-12h long. I'm a little over 5 hours in, so I assumed I was only about halfway through.

edit: Just checked a walkthrough real quick and yeah, looks like I still have a little bit to go. More than I could realistically play between now and tomorrow given it's already 4AM lol.

Gurumin took me 20 :p. But I also did pretty much everything I could do in 1 playthrough, including the secret boss.
It's a good game, but not as refined as Ys and the like and both the port and translation are fine, but not XSeed quality.

Ascheroth

Ugh I thought this was unlocking now (well, 10 minutes ago), but it seems to be in 1 hour.

Yeah, Valve still hasn't fixed their misleading unlock timer, even though I think I recall Jase mentioning that they said they'll look into it?
...Valve time.

mclem

You could always make that easier for us, Mr. XSeed Person :) - Weren't there a bunch of later Windows remakes?

Also possible are Falcom's Xanadu games, of which a few can be found in English (and I keep trying to make doe eyes at XSeed and/or Carpe Fulgur about the PC versions)

I'm more interested in the bits of the history of Japanese PC gaming that we've never really seen in the West in a big way. As an archetypal example, the Xanadu series. Tons of games, and I'd find them fascinating from a historical standpoint.

It's a big chunk of the pantheon of games that's not really known in the west, and a major gap in my understanding of the history of the medium, and I'd love to rectify that.

The majority of the Xanadu family of games. Some have made it into English, but very few compared to the vast range of titles in the series.

Can. Not. Wait.

AlanOC91

So uhh... did they mess up the release?

85z7UWd.jpg

AlanOC91

Steam releases are almost always at 10 AM Pacific (1 PM Eastern).
Nothing's been messed up that I know of?
It's not actually 10 AM/1 PM yet.

An hour ago the store page said less than an hour and now it just shows no timer or date anymore.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
IT'S OUT IT'S OUT!!

Bought it on GOG. I was probably the first person to do it. I can't wait to play it tonight -- I've wanted to check this game out for years. And didn't Tom from XSEED say it was his favorite Falcom game? I can't even fathom how good this is going to be.

Sara

Shows as released in the Steam back-end, so it's just a matter of time before the Store catches up.

I hope it's the perfect game to play on my new GPD Win, can you save anywhere/anytime?

Was about to ask if anyone getting this was planning to play on the GPD WIN.

Mine isn't here yet, so I'd be interested to know how it runs/controls and if you can switch between gamepad and mouse hardware settings in-game without issues.

Durante

I'd like to buy the game on Steam to give it a chance in the "popular new releases" tab, but the Humble Store is looking more appealing by the minute.

So guess what, this game has two extra fixes:

• Expanded mini-map now tracks your position accurately when using widescreen resolutions, regardless of whether the inventory menu's popped or not
  • A new "Log History to TXT" feature's been added, letting you review a play session by the numbers

I actually requested both of these a while back on the XSEED forums. Thank you for adding these in Sara! It's extra helpful that the Steam release searches your Saved Games folder on Windows 7 first, so I'm able to use my old saves immediately.

Ascheroth

This is why I wish XSEED would let me pre-order their games...

Actually Valve doesn't recommend preorders for smaller titles, as just releasing it with a launch discount is more effective.

That said. LET ME BY THE DAMN GAME ALREADY

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

• Expanded mini-map now tracks your position accurately when using widescreen resolutions, regardless of whether the inventory menu's popped or not
  • A new "Log History to TXT" feature's been added, letting you review a play session by the numbers

I actually requested both of these a while back on the XSEED forums. Thank you for adding these in Sara!

Sara always does a crazy good job.

FLD

I'd like to buy the game on Steam to give it a chance in the "popular new releases" tab, but the Humble Store is looking more appealing by the minute.

Yeah, I was waiting for Steam because after currency conversion it's often cheaper these days, but that Humble Monthly sub discount makes it pretty tempting. Plus, I just finished reading that article you linked earlier, so now the wait is going to get much harder. It was a pretty good read, btw. Thanks!

Dinjoralo

Hmm... Humble is only Steam and their own download hosting, right? Cuz I have a bit of money on Humble, but I feel like I need to cherish whatever I can have in my gog library, nowadays.

Nyoro SF

I actually requested both of these a while back on the XSEED forums. Thank you for adding these in Sara! It's extra helpful that the Steam release searches your Saved Games folder on Windows 7 first, so I'm able to use my old saves immediately.

Sara being incredibly on the ball. All this stuff just reinforces the day one buy for me.

Eusis

Man, and I have about $5 credit waiting on my Steam account. Don't make my sacrifice of Apple TF2 headphones... uhh, a somewhat smaller deal. Can't say meaningless because you know there'll be another fucking sale.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Launch game, set character name, immediately unlock the map 100% of the world achievement.

Ok then.

Top Bottom