• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xanadu Next |OT| Take up your sword and seek the Dragon Slayer!

Was going to get it right off Steam, but thankfully it is on Humble first! Gives me another discount thanks to being a Monthly subscriber. Comes to $16.19 for me.

Usually Humble is so late with indies, or doesn't carry them.

FLD

Launch game, set character name, immediately unlock the map 100% of the world achievement.

Ok then.

Lmao, what is it with XSEED games and achievements? In SC, I got the Odyssey of Anton achievement pretty much the first time I ran into him. Probably gonna end up using SAM to reset them when I do my 100% run.

Sara

We're working on getting the problem with the game on the Steam store fixed.
It's an issue we can't fix directly, but hopefully it should show up as buyable soon.

Famassu

Is this more Ys or Trails as far as story quality/depth/complexity goes? I mean, I'm gonna buy this anyways, but I just want to know where to set my expectations.

wrowa

Lmao, what is it with XSEED games and achievements? In SC, I got the Odyssey of Anton achievement pretty much the first time I ran into him. Probably gonna end up using SAM to reset them when I do my 100% run.

They are essentially hacking new features into old games. This way, you'll always end up with some wonkiness.

Nyoro SF

We're working on getting the problem with the game on the Steam store fixed.
It's an issue we can't fix directly, but hopefully it should show up as buyable soon.

The same thing happened to ASW for a few of their games. It drove them insane. Hope it works out smoother for you.

bede-x

It's out on GoG now:

m5qTcv8.jpg

Let's do this :)

Sara

The configuration tool UI is broken for me:
At first glance it looks like a DPI issue, which is strange since I use a standard DPI display with no scaling.

Looks like it's trying to use the wrong font. I'll take a look at things and see if there's any reason this should happen.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The configuration tool UI is broken for me:
At first glance it looks like a DPI issue, which is strange since I use a standard DPI display with no scaling.

I think they said it'll be patched, and that it uses desktop resolution for now.

Edit: Also, what's with the frame rate settings? I dunno what one should even pick if I'm going to cap it with RTSS.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
SGSSAA works without needing any custom bits, cleans up the image significantly too.

EDIT: Oh and as for the refresh rate setting it does the following:

Smooth = 60 FPS
Standard = 30 FPS
Rough = 15 FPS

FLD

Another achievement seems to be bugged. Not sure if it's plot related or what but I got one that mentions "almost drowning" as soon as I stepped in water.

Syril

I'm having a weird issue. I start with the Thrust skill from my dagger, but in the skills section of the menu represents it as a blank space with an E icon. If i change my equipment in any way, the skill unequips itself and completely disappears.

duckroll

- Launch game and immediately get the Cartographer achievement
- Spotted a missing letter in the intro text
- Jump into water for the first time and immediately get the Out of Break achievement
- Quit game and the application crashes

Good start.

- Launch game and immediately get the Cartographer achievement
- Spotted a missing letter in the intro text
- Jump into water for the first time and immediately get the Out of Break achievement
- Quit game and the application crashes

Good start.

Man, reading these initial impressions is rough. I hope they patch it. Maybe I should launch it once to get those magic achievements though!

bede-x

The controls are a little wonky with a gamepad, with a weird button set-up, but I think I'll get used to it. The text is terribly blurry though, which is a bigger problem.

Also there seems to be a slight frame pacing issue every few seconds, regardless of whether you go with 15/30/60fps.

I like the feel and music so far, just so much Falcom goodness.

Bought. I think I'll keep on with Owlboy for a while longer until I dive in. As far as achievements go, I find Steam Achievements so disappointing. I have so many games where they didn't trigger or track my progress correctly even though nothing was wrong with my internet that I give up on really caring. Though I guess these are the opposite problem.

Eila

I'll look into that then thanks.

I was looking forward to the achievements in this, so I'm kind of hesitant to start atm with them being broken

I mean ideally games let you rebind to whatever key you choose but it doesn't seem to be the case with this release. It's similar to using xpadder for games that don't have gamepad support.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The controls are a little wonky with a gamepad, with a weird button set-up, but I think I'll get used to it. The text is terribly blurry though, which is a bigger problem.

Also there seems to be a slight frame pacing issue every few seconds, regardless of whether you go with 15/30/60fps.

I like the feel and music so far, just so much Falcom goodness.

Have you tried using RTSS or something to cap the frame rate at 60fps? That always seems to be the silver bullet for these sorts of issues.

It looks fine maxed out. I also got the cartographer achievement when the game launched. And another achievement when I walked into the ocean.

The weird thing is that the 'Out of breath' achievement reads:
'Barely make it back to shore after almost drowning.'

But it triggered as soon as my head went under water. Seems like the achievements are a bit rough. 13 to go!

I'm usually not one to push for remastering the actual graphics with these sorts of games, but how great would the UI and art look if it was redrawn at a higher resolution. Keeping the aesthetic and models, of course.

FLD

I'm having a weird issue. I start with the Thrust skill from my dagger, but in the skills section of the menu represents it as a blank space with an E icon. If i change my equipment in any way, the skill unequips itself and completely disappears.

Same thing just happened to me and I can't even do regular attacks, so unless I can figure out how to re-equip that skill, I'm currently helpless!

Seems that confirm and attack share a button (defaults to X on my gamepad) but it only works for confirming in my case, my guy isn't attacking when I press it.

Current bugs I've experienced:

• Upon starting a new game, if you unequip Thrust from the hotbar or equip a new item in the equipment slot(s), the skill immediately disappears and doesn't return to you Skills menu until you've mastered the Dagger (it starts at 0% mastery). XSEED needs to keep this level of mastery (so your Dagger isn't too powerful for Back Alley Ruins) but make this skill available at all times. Until then, play through the tutorial dungeon w/o worry, since Thrust is one of the least useful skills in the game.
  • If you try loading saves, nearly every time a "corrupted save" text prompt appears even when you have working saves. Simply cancel the prompt and load as usual when this happens.
  • There are occasional text glitches related to your character's name.

Some players are experiencing frame stutter regardless of performance level. I'm not experiencing this anymore than I did when playing the fan-patched version, but it's something for Sara to look into.

Who said they had a way to map things to mouse buttons?
Try making a profile for Xanadu Next in X-Mouse Button Control or AutoHotKeys. I'll post mine here in a second and update the OT FAQ.

Man, reading these initial impressions is rough. I hope they patch it. Maybe I should launch it once to get those magic achievements though!
The game plays almost perfectly and will get patched as soon as Sara identifies what's going wrong.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Any veterans of this know how to use bones with the shopkeeper? I've got a bunch but I'm not sure how I give them to him to lower key prices. Do I just sell them to him?

Any veterans of this know how to use bones with the shopkeeper? I've got a bunch but I'm not sure how I give them to him to lower key prices. Do I just sell them to him?
Sell the bones to Spence. Later, in Clover Ruins, you can buy a bone carver from Agnes that lets you make one or two keys in the field using just one bone.

Top Bottom